PDA

View Full Version : Titan Wars (40k mech warrior esque kill teams anyone??)

the gribbly
12-02-2014, 22:53
Greetings warseerians! With all the recent biggy sized models being released ive been contemplating how to go about conducting a tourney focusing on MCs and dreads. Well and really anything BUT troops. Thats right, a force organization chart consisting of only Elite, FA, HS.. but no flyers. Oh and a low pts cap to boot, say 350 ish.
My goal is to get players to bring their one (or two) uber killy unit/model of doom and slug it out, mech warrior style but maybe with some sort of gauntlet run or something.
What im picturing is tooled up riptides, dreadknights, wraithknights, some of the more powerful walkers, hell even hammernators or Manz + ride and so on. ICs im not sure on yet and of course grav weaponry seems like the bane of all the above. Some armies may have pts left for a support unit if they're lucky (marker lights etc) or could double or triple up on walkers. Anyway has anyone tried something like this? If so please elaborate. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Still Standing
12-02-2014, 22:58
Dreadknight wins every single time. Before the game it simply uses his personal teleporter to begin the game right next to you. You now have 1 turn of shooting to kill him before he force weapons you down.

Ssilmath
12-02-2014, 23:07
I'd say give people 1000 points, at least 500 of which must be spent on vehicles or monstrous creatures. No FOC required. So you have big killy robots, plenty of tanks (Which are pretty good in Battletech) and infantry equipped to bring them down.

Edit: And put lots of tall terrain the board, so the winner isn't picked by who goes first.

the gribbly
12-02-2014, 23:13
Dreadknight wins every single time. Before the game it simply uses his personal teleporter to begin the game right next to you. You now have 1 turn of shooting to kill him before he force weapons you down.
Yep that does seem problematic. Not sure how to go about resolving it though. Ideas?

I'd say give people 1000 points, at least 500 of which must be spent on vehicles or monstrous creatures. No FOC required. So you have big killy robots, plenty of tanks (Which are pretty good in Battletech) and infantry equipped to bring them down.
I like the idea of no FoC but the pts limit feels to high for what im aiming for. 1k pt games are very fun and cuthroat so I want to keep that aspect but I think reducing pts allowance streamlines it more. Keep it coming.

Ssilmath
12-02-2014, 23:16
With points that low, the game is pretty much going to be decided by a combination of whose MC trumps the others and who goes first. Give the players some points to have variation in their lists.

the gribbly
12-02-2014, 23:41
Good point, maybe closer to 1k is better. Ugh I wish someone else would write rules so I can just play em! (while bitching about spending 11 bucks of course heheh).

OuroborosTriumphant
13-02-2014, 00:03
600 strikes me as a good value if you're throwing out the FOC. It's room enough for 2 Wraithknights or 3 Riptides or 4 Carnifices with a variety of upgrades. 1000 encourages people to add guff, while 500 is a little tight for Tau (too many points to really spend on two Riptides, not enough for 3).

If you want a crazy Monster Bash tournament, I'd go for 600.

Chem-Dog
13-02-2014, 00:18
First I'd suspend all FOC obligations and allow only MC's

Gym Team league. Any One Codex 1000 points max.
FOC Slots in Play - Only 2 HQ allowed, 3 Elites and so on. No obligations to include units in any particular FOC slot just limits the total amount of options that can be taken from any part of the FOC to the usual maximum. No Named Characters.

Tag Team League. Any Two Codexes (allies Matrix applies) 1000 points max.
FOC Slots in Play treat each Codex as a separate full FOC for limits but no other limits apply. No Named Characters.

Superstars league. Any One Codex. 2000 points.
No Limits. Spend any number of points on any number of MC's from any part of a single Codex. Named MC's can only appear once in your team and relics are limited to one each as per usual but that's it, you want to field 10 Daemon princes, do so by all means.

Ronin league. Single MC no points limit. May include single non MC IC's.

Set up an arena, have some objectives with set beneficial functions (so players know what they are beforehand) and set the victory conditions to "first one to die looses".

Still Standing
13-02-2014, 00:20
I have a feeling the winner would either be Riptides, Flyrant or Daemon Prince with Wings spam which wins.

the gribbly
13-02-2014, 00:27
First I'd suspend all FOC obligations and allow only MC's

Gym Team league. Any One Codex 1000 points max.
FOC Slots in Play - Only 2 HQ allowed, 3 Elites and so on. No obligations to include units in any particular FOC slot just limits the total amount of options that can be taken from any part of the FOC to the usual maximum. No Named Characters.

Tag Team League. Any Two Codexes (allies Matrix applies) 1000 points max.
FOC Slots in Play treat each Codex as a separate full FOC for limits but no other limits apply. No Named Characters.

Superstars league. Any One Codex. 2000 points.
No Limits. Spend any number of points on any number of MC's from any part of a single Codex. Named MC's can only appear once in your team and relics are limited to one each as per usual but that's it, you want to field 10 Daemon princes, do so by all means.

Ronin league. Single MC no points limit. May include single non MC IC's.

Set up an arena, have some objectives with set beneficial functions (so players know what they are beforehand) and set the victory conditions to "first one to die looses".
Awesome ideas im gonna stew on these for awhile.. Also I think eternal warrior all around would stop the hvy wraith cannon and force weapons from being such auto includes.

Now how to address dreads? They are so iconic but fall short vs MCs.

Chem-Dog
13-02-2014, 03:06
The fact most of those categories will allow multiple models to be included should offset any percieved advantage awarded by any particular model/build/wargear. Knowing ahead of time that you're only going to be facing the big boys will influence builds too. The sheer number of dreads you could field in a no limits 2k list would be enough of a counter in most cases. Imagine the carnage 11 Furioso Librarians could unleash or 20 unadulterated Multimelta Dreads, your big expensive MC's couldn't hope to deal with them all before weight of numbers starts having a toll.

Personally, I'd be inclined to take a fleet of Talos. Chain Flails, Additional CCW's and that's it. 16 of the blighters, 96 twinlinked poison(4) shots a turn should serve to make things a little bit uncomfortable for anyone, even flying MC's