PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf release (random speculation)

Avian
13-02-2014, 11:12
Assuming that Wood Elves will get a minor release like the Dwarfs did, here's my guess:

- plastic Lord
- plastic Wizard
- two plastic special characters (on foot)
- plastic Eternal Guard
- plastic Wild Riders
- plastic Treeman

And here are all the rumours I could dig up. If past releases are anything to go by, the date is good and everything else is as solid as my random guess above.
(note that if the rumour is just a mention of the army and nothing more, it means it's predicted as the next army after the Dwarfs and I haven't bothered to include the entire schedule. It's just sorted alphabetically now and I'll go and sort the sources by reliability later.

New sources

ganon
Asrai - Naeith the Prophetess back in next armybook PENDING
Asrai - Additional lores available PENDING
Asrai - Skaw will be a SC, choose Great Eagles as Specials. PENDING

Jedi
Harry's Fantasy Recap
There are rumours of darker and more dangerous Wood Elves based on the content of the currently unreleased Black Library Orion novel. Set for release in September? “I'm assuming that the author (Darius Hinks) spoke with the design studio prior to writing the book about the direction they wanted to take them. The guy on the Black Library stand says Darius has spent ages studying Paganism and other similar religions to get ideas, and he has really played up the darker, more capricious nature of the wood elves. One example he gave was elves cutting out the hearts of other elves to replace them with briar hearts" PENDING

Scoopdeta
Harry's Fantasy Recap
WE - There are rumours of Wood Elves in 2013 Early to mid 2013 FALSE
WE - A lot of miniature designs for new woodies already created and approved TOO VAGUE
WE - TreeKin, Treemen and wardancers/warhawks. PENDING
WE - A Cavalry unit tha packed some punch but no specifics. PENDING TOO VAGUE?

Strategos
Harry's Fantasy Recap
WE - Forest Dragon PENDING

Almost all TRUE (more than 80 %)

40kradio
Release Schedule - Oct 2013
May – Wood Elves PENDING

75hastings69
Release Schedule - May 2013
I don't think I actually mentioned WE, Bret, O&G or Beastmen army "books"
updates and models yes, books ..... hmm, after 9th ed hits???? PENDING

Fantasy Schedule - March 2013
WE PENDING

Fantasy Rumors - July 2012
Plastic WE Spell Singer PENDING
Plastic WE Lord PENDING

Harry's Fantasy Recap - July 2012
WE - There are rumours of a BIG treeman. PENDING

Harry from Warseer
Harry's Fantasy Recap
WE - There are rumours of a BIG treeman. PENDING

Mostly TRUE (60 - 80 %)

Darnok (from Warseer)
Harry's Fantasy Recap
WE - The treeman, however was said to be on the new monster base and about as tall as the Ogre Thundertusk's banner, and that it stylewise is more living brushwood-forest thingy than an actual anthromorphic tree. PENDING

Mixed bunch (40 - 60 %)

Earlybird
Fantasy Rumor Thread - August 2012
WE -Book for spring 2014 PENDING
WE -Chariot is back PENDING
WE -Packmaster with orion hounds or great bear PENDING
WE -A "fairy" unit working a bit like the Banshee PENDING
WE - Stags as mounts for Kurnous cavalry PENDING
WE -Skaw the falconer is back with new mini PENDING

Larry Vela aka Big Red
Release Schedule - Jan 2014
May - Wood Elves PENDING

Release Schedule - Dec 2013
Wood Elves (Q2) PENDING

Release Schedule - Nov 2013
Q2-14: Wood Elves, Orks PENDING

Dwarf and Wood Elf - Nov 2013
Wood Elves
May Release PENDING
The final army book of 8th Edition PENDING
New Glade Guard PENDING
New Way Watchers PENDING
New War Dancers PENDING
New Dryads PENDING
New Treemen PENDING
New War Eagles PENDING
New units... TOO VAGUE

Natfka on Faeit 212
Wood Elves PENDING

Mostly FALSE (20 - 40 %)

Stickmonkey
Wood Elves - July 2013
via Stickmonkey on Bols Lounge
Wood Elves have a massive update coming. And they will be fine in the current and next edition with it.
I expect them late spring 2014. PENDING
Some of what Ive heard is:
Still a major guerrilla tactics army. Skirmishers are still prevalent. PENDING
New giant Treekin dual unit. PENDING
New Stag Monstrous Cavalry unit. PENDING
Best archers in the game. PENDING
Dryads having abilities to manipulate enemy unit structure. PENDING
New mpp wild rider kit PENDING
New mpp wardancer/waywatcher kit PENDING
Wardancers causing rank bonus to work against enemy. PENDING
New hawkriders kit. PENDING
WE wizards (spellsingers) have spells that manipulate environment, including making a new grove of trees and one causing an enemy unit to enter combat with the ground/terrain PENDING
WE have significant benefits within woods both stationary and moving. PENDING
Tree units able to start hidden in wooded terrain. PENDING

Tim the Thief
April - Wood Elves & new GW Page/Shop PENDING

Release Schedule
Oktober: Wood Elves PENDING

Nearly all FALSE (less than 20 %)

necronspurs2012
Release List - Jan 2014
Wood Elves PENDING

Maelström
Wood Elf Rumors - Oct 2013
Ajota specified Wood Elves are in "april/may". PENDING

Wood Elves Rules
Army wide ASF ( elves only ) PENDING
- Hawkeye ( only elves , reroll one to hit, single shots) PENDING
- Spirit of the Forest ( unstable magical attacks, hatred , 5 + ward save , harmony with the forest ) PENDING
- Elven Bow ( f4 , rapid fire , extra row ) PENDING
- Saearath ( cc weapon , +1 Strength , + 1 SEspecial , spears ) PENDING
- Explorers / Ambushers ( NDT : not what it is ) PENDING

Forest Guard : Elvish Bow , Hawkeye PENDING
Eternal Guard : f4 , Saearath , L8 PENDING
Light Knights : same PENDING
Driades : forms of combat . PENDING
Riders Halcon : Elven Bow , Hawk Eye , launches PENDING
Kournous Riders : Spirit of the forest, Saearath , L8 , F4 , A2 ( idk if directly go deer) PENDING
Arboreal : Spirit of the forest , as PENDING
Banshees : Spirit of the forest, Lamento ( breath attack ) , terror . PENDING
Eagle Claws : same PENDING
Wardancer : same , except for some changes that do not know . PENDING
Forest : Forest Spirit , Bow Elvish . PENDING
Men Tree: Like I PENDING
Millennial choleric : Hate Eternal , and nose to more PENDING

Wood Elves Miniatures (some translation issues)

Man Megacaja Tree (Giant) / Durtu / Millennium cashflow PENDING
- Great Dragon Box Forest / Lord of the Forest / Sisters of Twilight PENDING
- Safety in Deer Forest Kournous PENDING
- Safety Kournous Riders (apparently nothing to do with the look of today, more fey and spiritual) PENDING
- Safety Wardancer / Forest PENDING
- Riders Box Falcon / Eagle Claws PENDING
- Safety Eternal Guard / Forest Banshees PENDING
- Blister Cantor of Trees PENDING
- Blister Lord of Forests PENDING
- Blister Skaw the Falconer PENDING

Antipathy
Fantasy Rumor Thread - August 2012
Not so much a packmaster, but the new Alter Kindred takes on the form of an animal/nature and becomes some form of monstrous beast/infantry, apparently. PENDING
The fluff being they give themselves over to the forest, and take on its aspects, sort of like miniature orions, rather than being a shapeshifter atypical druid. PENDING
Playtested versions have seen "proxied" varghulfs with extremely fast movement, so that may mean that they can take on an aerial aspect that gives them fly. PENDING
As for the monstrous cav, I am lead to believe that wild riders current iteration is still viable in the rules. PENDING
Chariots meanwhile, I have heard absolutely nothing about, other than suggestions of an altar type of unit acting like a mortis engine with its "spirit host", but that has been dismissed by my sources as pure wishlisting. PENDING

Fantasy Rumors Thread - Aug 13 2012
- Plastic Dragon (Spellweaver/Highborn option) PENDING
- Plastic Set for Eternal Guard equipped with Saearath - presuming 10 to a set like High Elven Elites, including full command. PENDING
- Wild Riders, they're becoming "larger" and "much deadlier", including vine/ivy wreathed horns and "immense mounts" - matching the Orion, Vaults of Winter novel description PENDING
- Scouts become their own unit choice PENDING

MasterSplinter
13-02-2014, 11:16
Great you did this thread and summarise all whats know about the release up to now :)

Personally, regarding the last sets of inormations (the ones stating that woods have even more of an impact on the playstyle of woodelves), as fluffy as it is, i would rather like to see a move away from connecting the playstyle of an army with a special type of terrain (woods) as it may cause lot of problems (for example how many woods to be deployes prior to the game), i would rather like to see them having general rules for terrain.

Rakariel
13-02-2014, 11:29
Thanks for the massive recap Avian :)

WE got quite alot of good minis and most of those in plastic already thats why I think there won`t be any new Dryads, Glade Guard and Glade Riders. I mean hell I wouldn`t even buy new ones if there were some after all because I think the existing ones are just ace. My prediction (which is just a gut feeling as usual ;)) would be:

- dual kit Eternal Guard with something new
- dual kit Wardancers with Waywatchers (those two unit types could be made into a dual kit because they don`t differe all too much from each other style-wise)
- Treeman (big centerpiece)
- Wild Riders or Treekin

Out of these I would apreciate a new Treekin kit the most as I really do not like the exisiting ones at all. If there aren`t any new ones its not the end of the world for me however as I just use my Skin Wolf unit (got twelve) as a proxy which is I think a very good standin. As with the Dwarf release I don`t think we will see more than three to four kits at the most however.

Avian
13-02-2014, 11:42
I think Wild Riders are a given as they are a metal / plastic hybrid kit and they seem to be agressively removing them from the lineup. I also think the Treeman is a given as that is a huge monster and converting them is also very common, and it is incidentally missing from the online store (at least the UK one).

I belive Eternal Guard will be converted because they are Core.

If there is a fourth set, I don't know what that would be - I think any of the remaining kits are equally likely.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 13:20
Mysteriously transported from the dwarf thread in N&R

Noooo way!!! Haha, funny, I dont know how people come to this. Just go at the gw online store and you can see one of the best ranges of plastic models under woodies. Alsmost everything is plastic, and pretty up to date. Not more then 3-4 kits.

While I agree that wood elves have some of the best plastic models in the game, only a third of their units currently have plastic models, half of the units in the wood elf range are still in metal, and so are almost three quarters of the characters.

All in all, to make the units in the current book into plastic would require 8 plastic kits before you even look at characters because unfortunately none of the existing units lend themselves particularly well to a combined kit with each other, about the closest would be Wardancers and Waywatchers but even those two are quite different in their appearance.

Plastic: Glade Guard, scouts, riders, dryads
Finecast: 1 Noble, 1 Mage, Orion, treekin & treeman
Metal: the rest of the characters, Wardancers, Eternal Guard, warhawk riders, great eagles, Waywatchers, wild riders

Treekin could ( and probably will) stay in finecrap (just like most other finecast MI have done this edition; Ushabti, Kroxigor et al), there are longstanding rumours of a plastic treeman, and eternal guard are a fairly safe bet (maybe doubling up with a core Spearmen unit). I would guess that the other two priority kits would be wild riders with an alternative version (maybe a unit on cavalry-sized stags or unicorns), and then maybe a plastic warhawk riders kit in the same vein as the LM terradons. That would still leave us with Wardancers and Waywatchers in metal (assuming that as rumoured they are no longer making anything new in finecrap), which would have been almost inconceivable for me until they left slayers in metal.

It also means I almost certainly won't be getting my much-longed-for plastic forest dragon, but I guess I can live with my metal stag-dragon for another 8-10 yrs.

I concur that the three most logical sets would be treeman, EG and WRs, my only concern is that still leaves 4 units in metal (Warhawks, eagles, Wardancers & Waywatchers), maybe a 4th kit for warhawks or even dancers? Having said that it does look like they are leaving a load of the dwarf stuff to dwindle into obscurity as their metal stock eventually depletes...

I really would like they to do something to keep Wardancers around, even if that WS a finecast conversion for me they are one of the most iconically wood-elfy units.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 13:26
I think Wild Riders are a given as they are a metal / plastic hybrid kit and they seem to be agressively removing them from the lineup. I also think the Treeman is a given as that is a huge monster and converting them is also very common, and it is incidentally missing from the online store (at least the UK one).

I belive Eternal Guard will be converted because they are Core.

If there is a fourth set, I don't know what that would be - I think any of the remaining kits are equally likely.

Eternal guard are demi-core currently (only core if there is a highborn in the list), and in all honesty I really think they will be bumped up to tru-special rather as they seem to have been removing all conditional core choices in the last few editions. What's more EG have a particularly elite statline with higher Ld and WS than is normal for a core elf, plus the stubborn rule, which gives them the feel of an elite unit.

What I could imagine them doing would be putting out a dual kit which contained a core Spearmen unit (kind of imagine glade guard with spear & shield instead of bows) which doubled up with special EG since the look and feel of EG is IMHO too far away from either Wardancers or WWs to make a successful dual kit with either of them.

Avian
13-02-2014, 13:34
I think regular Spearmen is a possibility. Alternatively, they could give Eternal Guard the option for great weapons, which would presumably be dead easy to do given that they have two-handed weapons already.

I think they'd be Core both because the other units there tend to be fairly cheap (making it more difficult to put a lot of points into Core) and because it allows for another play style for the army (not a very good one, mind you).

Althwen
13-02-2014, 13:42
If a quarter of the above were true, I'd be a happy gamer.

Quite frankly there's only a couple of things that need fixing and I'd be satisfied. One of which is BRB lores for lower level casters as well. That would be a major improvement in and of itself.

I'm psyched. Let's get it on.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 13:43
I think regular Spearmen is a possibility. Alternatively, they could give Eternal Guard the option for great weapons, which would presumably be dead easy to do given that they have two-handed weapons already.

I think they'd be Core both because the other units there tend to be fairly cheap (making it more difficult to put a lot of points into Core) and because it allows for another play style for the army (not a very good one, mind you).

Eh? 12-24pts a model is 'cheap'? Currently I have no problem filling my core allowance, even when I don't bring core EG, at 2k I am usually running at least 800+ points in core, mostly from Glade guard and Dryads.

I do keep wondering if they will rank dryads up this time round, I would see core Spearmen as a good way to introduce a ranked unit that would allow dryads to stay in skirmish formation.

Soundwave
13-02-2014, 14:05
Nice work Avian. My speculation is yes the release will not be big like the Dwarfs but from now on we will see random releases more often with rules in the white dwarf, in boxed kits and for sale from g.w web site. Given the weekly fomat now to keep it interesting I think this seems likely. Maybe, just stabbing in the dark really.

Odin
13-02-2014, 14:15
I can't see how a small release would be possible, unless a second wave happens.

We know GW will add at least one new unit, probably 3 or more. Whatever they do add will require new minis (as that's how GW do things now).

Dual kits with the Treeman and Eternals could achieve that. But I can't see the Warhawks staying on as metal, flying minis being one of the most important to have in plastic.

So the bare minimum I could see is

Plastic Lord
Plastic Spellsinger
Plastic Eternals
Plastic Treeman
Plastic Warhawk Riders
Plastic Wild Riders

...with the likelihood of at least a couple of dual builds among that lot.

The suggestion of Wardancers and Waywatchers together seems odd to me, as they are at completely different ends of the clothing spectrum, with Waywatchers mostly covered up and Wardancers nearly naked.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 14:44
The suggestion of Wardancers and Waywatchers together seems odd to me, as they are at completely different ends of the clothing spectrum, with Waywatchers mostly covered up and Wardancers nearly naked.

Not to mention the traditional difference in their posing, with Waywatchers often in stealthy/shooty poses and Wardancers usually depicted mid-dance.

Avian
13-02-2014, 14:56
Eh? 12-24pts a model is 'cheap'?

Units can be cheap, even if the models that make them up are fairly expensive. In my experience, individual WE units tend to be cheaper than units in most other armies.

Regarding new units, remember that both of the other Elf armies got a female unit called Sisters of [blank].

Odin
13-02-2014, 15:35
I think one of the big problems for Wood Elves is how to ensure they don't pretty much auto lose Blood and Glory. They have a load of bannerless units (including all the forest spirits apart from Wild Riders), and fewer units with the option for a banner than any other army.

Obviously you can rework your army around the units that can have banners, but that just massively restricts the variety of functional army builds.

Either there needs to be an option for banners on forest spirit units, or they need a few more new units which do have the option.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 15:49
Units can be cheap, even if the models that make them up are fairly expensive. In my experience, individual WE units tend to be cheaper than units in most other armies.

Regarding new units, remember that both of the other Elf armies got a female unit called Sisters of [blank].

Yes I was thinking about that, my money would be on a unit of unicorn-riding lady elves (normal cav, not monstrous, in dual kit with WRs) or some kind of bird-riding female warriors (dual with WHs). Its a shame in one sense because one of the best parts about wood elves is that all their units have been unisex with models for both male and female in every unit.

Even with small units wood elf core doesn't come cheap, my general set up is 2x 10-12 GG with banner and mus, 1x 16-20 GG with banner, mus and flaming banner, 2 or 3 x 8 dryads and occasionally 1x 5 GR as well. That usually does me well up to 2400, by which time I am seriously entertaining the Rhyming Highborn and his unit of Eternal Guard.

I think one of the big problems for Wood Elves is how to ensure they don't pretty much auto lose Blood and Glory. They have a load of bannerless units (including all the forest spirits apart from Wild Riders), and fewer units with the option for a banner than any other army.

Obviously you can rework your army around the units that can have banners, but that just massively restricts the variety of functional army builds.

Either there needs to be an option for banners on forest spirit units, or they need a few more new units which do have the option.

The traditional way to not auto-lost blood and glory is to take some banners, I generally have three GG units in my armies of 1500 and above, each with a banner, the trick is to make all your other units more of an immediate concern to your opponent to avoid your GG getting shot to bits.

Odin
13-02-2014, 16:42
Yes I was thinking about that, my money would be on a unit of unicorn-riding lady elves (normal cav, not monstrous, in dual kit with WRs) or some kind of bird-riding female warriors (dual with WHs). Its a shame in one sense because one of the best parts about wood elves is that all their units have been unisex with models for both male and female in every unit.

Even with small units wood elf core doesn't come cheap, my general set up is 2x 10-12 GG with banner and mus, 1x 16-20 GG with banner, mus and flaming banner, 2 or 3 x 8 dryads and occasionally 1x 5 GR as well. That usually does me well up to 2400, by which time I am seriously entertaining the Rhyming Highborn and his unit of Eternal Guard.

The traditional way to not auto-lost blood and glory is to take some banners, I generally have three GG units in my armies of 1500 and above, each with a banner, the trick is to make all your other units more of an immediate concern to your opponent to avoid your GG getting shot to bits.

Well, that's exactly my point. You are forced to take those units in order not to auto lose. You shouldn't be.

Dragon11
13-02-2014, 19:44
[QUOTE=Odin] I think one of the big problems for Wood Elves is how to ensure they don't pretty much auto lose Blood and Glory. They have a load of bannerless units (including all the forest spirits apart from Wild Riders), and fewer units with the option for a banner than any other army.Obviously you can rework your army around the units that can have banners, but that just massively restricts the variety of functional army builds.Either there needs to be an option for banners on forest spirit units, or they need a few more new units which do have the option.

well I hope they don't give forest spirits banners it wouldn't be at all fluffy

Dragon11
13-02-2014, 19:54
I would like:

EG kit
Forest Dragon kit
Treekin maybe
Treeman maybe
warhawk riders in plastic
A monstrous cavalry stag unit would be cool too

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 19:58
I would like:

EG kit
Forest Dragon kit
Treekin maybe
Treeman maybe
warhawk riders in plastic
A monstrous cavalry stag unit would be cool too

I can't communicate how much I would love a plastic forest dragon kit, but I think being realistic 4 kits is about the maximum we should expect.

Friedtaterexplosion
13-02-2014, 19:59
How about a dual treekin/treeman kit?

But now all that I can think of is a forest spirit Voltron.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 20:08
How about a dual treekin/treeman kit?

But now all that I can think of is a forest spirit Voltron.

I'm not sure I can really see that working, it just reminds me of all the conversions I've seen making treekin by sticking half a dozen dryads together, they all come out looking rubbish.

Besides treekin aren't a priority for me, I seriously doubt they'd come up with anything better than the raging heroes tree warrior models that I currently use anyway.

popisdead
13-02-2014, 21:03
Great recap. Too bad this cannot go in the main rumour thread. I bet Autumn Leaves may have some good contributions.

I read Dakka's reliability thread. Scoopdeta, Harry and Hastings were the most reliable with the other 8th Ed releases.

popisdead
13-02-2014, 21:11
I seriously doubt they'd come up with anything better than the raging heroes tree warrior models that I currently use anyway.

Meh, anything would be better than those.

Kakapo42
13-02-2014, 22:18
I reckon a very likely kit will be a redone Forrest Dragon. Looking at the other two Elf releases, they both got a large kit that also made a special character and had bits for a regular character. There's also a tidbit about wonderous flying creatures formed from the living dreams of the forest in the BRB, so there's a precedent for a combo-kit as well.

So I reckon there'd be a new Forrest Dragon kit that can make either an unridden Forrest Dragon, a character on a Forrest Dragon, the Sisters of Twilight on a Forrest Dragon, or some new winged creature, with complimentary bases for the character models.

Spiney Norman
14-02-2014, 00:02
I reckon a very likely kit will be a redone Forrest Dragon. Looking at the other two Elf releases, they both got a large kit that also made a special character and had bits for a regular character. There's also a tidbit about wonderous flying creatures formed from the living dreams of the forest in the BRB, so there's a precedent for a combo-kit as well.

So I reckon there'd be a new Forrest Dragon kit that can make either an unridden Forrest Dragon, a character on a Forrest Dragon, the Sisters of Twilight on a Forrest Dragon, or some new winged creature, with complimentary bases for the character models.

A big kit that also makes a character, You mean like a big treeman kits that can be used to make a regular treeman, treeman that throws rocks, a treeman ancient and Durthu, kind of like the one that has been rumoured for about 2 years already?

I can't tell you how much I would love them to do a forest dragon, but wood elves have never had anywhere near the amount of attention that is lavished on high/dark elves, they're too peripheral to the setting and no-one in the studio cares about them, if they even move the current one into finecast I will be utterly gobsmacked.

cyberspite
14-02-2014, 00:24
Thanks Avian.

Given GW's love of dual kits I would be very surprised if the rumoured new treeman kit didn't double up with something else. The only things I can think of would be an alternate treeman build, sort of like the beastmen ghorgon and cygor, or some sort of tree-beast with wood elf 'crew', like the tomb king warsphinx. Of the two I would prefer the former.

I would also put my money on new wildriders (possibly teamed with sisters of arial counterparts, a bit cheesy but v GW), and new eternal guard / spearmen. The spearmen would round out the core section and provide more options for players wanting to play a more standard style army. I wouldn't be massively enthusiastic about this, but it does seem the most likely option to pair with eternal guard.

Other than that, who knows? I would prefer plastic warhawks over new WW/WD or treekin, but it's possible we could get any of those.

The most interesting rumour for me though is the beatmaster alters, I would love this to be true.

GrandmasterWang
14-02-2014, 02:15
Just a correction to the opening post.

The dwarfs did not get a minor release.

Avian
14-02-2014, 05:37
Would you say that they got a Miner release? :lol:

Lord Dan
14-02-2014, 05:45
I'm not sure what they're going to do about Eternal Guard. Maybe another dual core/special kit: Glade Guard with Spears and Shields (remember those?? :D) and Eternal Guard with Halberds? If they made Eternal guard S4 with halberds (for an effective S5) with the presumed ASF rule they'd be worth taking even at their current price point.

cyberspite
14-02-2014, 08:18
Yeh but halberds aren't a good fit for wood elves, although someone did mention great weapons, as well as saerath, which would be interesting.

Lord Dan
14-02-2014, 08:25
Yeh but halberds aren't a good fit for wood elves, although someone did mention great weapons, as well as saerath, which would be interesting.
Perhaps, then, some kind of ceremonial sword staff which has the properties of a halberd, in the way that the did the same with Bretonnian Pole-arms? I'm thinking of something less like a European halberd and more like a Japanese naginata: 187270

Morrslieb
14-02-2014, 14:17
I'm betting my money on larger than average release, possibly in 2 waves. Main reason is WEs large amount of metal/hybrid models that GW seem try to rid off.
Then again, I've always been a gambler. The thing I fear the most is Chaos Warshrine/Mortis Engine type buffwagon or warmachine as they don't fit in my image of Wood Elves,
flying chariot is a little more acceptable but HE already have one.
I'm guessing something like:

1st wave:
Eternal Guard/Spearmen
Wild Riders/Glade Riders
Treeman/Durthu
Warhawk Riders/possible variant
few character packs

2nd wave:
plastic Wardancers/possible variant
plastic Waywatchers/ possible variant
Big monster (if not variant of treeman)
Highborn/Spellweaver on Dragon/Sisters of Twilight/possible rareslot variant

Sisters of Something has high percentage possibility being new unit (both DE and HE got one).

Spiney Norman
14-02-2014, 15:03
You're a more optimistic man than me Morrslieb, dwarfs were just as in need of metal-plastic conversions as welfs, and they got the absolute bare minimum, I was genuinely shocked that slayers got left in metal, I could see the same happening with Wardancers or Waywatchers (Or both)

Morrslieb
14-02-2014, 15:47
I do agree I'm bit too optimistic for my own good. However, I haven't seen any notion dwarfs could not get second wave tho I do think it'll be unlikely.
I'll remain hopeful until proved wrong.

popisdead
14-02-2014, 17:06
Would you say that they got a Miner release? :lol:

Are they miners? Underage drinking??

TheKingInYellow
14-02-2014, 17:28
I would think that Glade Guard/Eternal Guard might get a new combo kit. It may not make sense to replace the plastic GG but DE didn't really need new XBows either.

So guessing at some alternate unit names maybe something like:

Waywatchers/Wardancers dual-kit
Glade Guard/Eternal Guard/Maiden Guard multi-kit
Treeman/Arborbeast dual-kit

Treekin are a tough one, I'm not sure how they would make something else out of them and multi-option MI kits are rare. Vargheist/Crypt Horror is the only one I can think of?

Leonathion
14-02-2014, 19:47
I'm just speculating, but I could see...

Eternal Guard + Wardancer plastic combo
New plastic treeman + other treemonsterthingy
New plastic Warhawk riders combined with new unit (Hippogryph riders? Owl riders?) likely one less, the other more, armoured
New chariot + stag chariot
Finecast Skaw
Plastic character, likely spellcaster

Avian
14-02-2014, 20:29
Given that Eternal Guard wear heavy armour while Wardancers go to battle in their underwear, I don't see a combo kit happening. ;)

In fact, I don't see a lot of combos of already existing units, but I don't think that's necessarily a problem - it allows them to add in new units instead.

Schmapdi
14-02-2014, 20:36
I would expect for WE ...
A glade guard/eternal guard dual kit (they're very similar style - so might as well update the Glade Guard if you're making plastic eternal guard)
Big forest dragon kit (big kits are a must it seems, cept for dwarfs)
Wild Dancers/variant

Then 1-2 character blisters.

The problem with the move to plastic character blisters ... they're only going to put out a handful per release. Meanwhile as the metals disappear some armies are losing a dozenish character models. Dwarves had tons of metal choices - only a few remain. Then they'll be left with 3 plastic blisters and the very few (3!) Finecast characters they have. Hell - they even lost a few existing Finecast choices (the old runelord, at least one Lord). That's not leaving a lot of variety.

Lars Porsenna
14-02-2014, 20:51
Personally I don't see GW replacing Glade Guard plastic kits. DE got new warriors because they decided to allow them to use hand weapons as an alternative, not supported by the then-current DE warriors kit. Both HE and (apparently) Dwarfs are not getting new core plastic kits, so the DE may have been the anomaly, not the norm.

While I would love to see spearelfs come back, I think ranking Dryads is more "fluffy" and makes WE different from DE/HE.

So I see:

Plastic Eternal Guard/some other option
Plastic Treekin
Plastic Treeman
Plastic somethingelse (like a Chariot)
Clampack Lord/Hero
Clampack Spellsinger/Spellweaver
Clampack special character.

That's about as far as I would speculate.

Damon.

meowser
14-02-2014, 21:44
I highly doubt Glade Guard will get redone, especially a shoe-in 2nd build to another infantry kit. THe models are great as is :)
spear/shield guard seem redundant with EG

I thought the rumour was that the Eternal Guard would have a Forest Spirit Banshee variant build, with some LD-test-like shooting/breath attack.

I'm just waiting to see what the Wild Rider MCav (should they exist as a unit choice) look like -- would love to base an army around them

Avian
14-02-2014, 23:19
That rumour was from the guy who had no clue with the Dwarf release we just had. He was the guy with the tunneling machine.

So it's extremely unlikely there will be any Forest Banshees.

Spiney Norman
15-02-2014, 02:32
Personally I don't see GW replacing Glade Guard plastic kits. DE got new warriors because they decided to allow them to use hand weapons as an alternative, not supported by the then-current DE warriors kit. Both HE and (apparently) Dwarfs are not getting new core plastic kits, so the DE may have been the anomaly, not the norm.

While I would love to see spearelfs come back, I think ranking Dryads is more "fluffy" and makes WE different from DE/HE.

So I see:

Plastic Eternal Guard/some other option
Plastic Treekin
Plastic Treeman
Plastic somethingelse (like a Chariot)
Clampack Lord/Hero
Clampack Spellsinger/Spellweaver
Clampack special character.

That's about as far as I would speculate.

Damon.

I think that an eternal/Glade guard box could be on the cards if they go back to the 5th ed concept of glade guard as spear elves, and leave the current plastics in use as archers.

I very much doubt we'll get new treekin, most of the finecast monstrous infantry units haven't been touched this edition (Kroxigor, Ushabti etc) and there are so many metal units that are in dire need of plastic conversion (Wild riders, Wardancers, Waywatchers, warhawks, great eagles).

I also really hope they don't give us a chariot, I'd much rather have a forest dragon box, that would be epic.

daftpunkevo
15-02-2014, 03:13
I REALLY love elves (of any kind) , they are by far my favorites armys, i'm really looking this release. I would love some kind of Stag MC, and would also like the totall recast of all the wood elf range, while dryads are kind of okay if they sta like that, any other kit really have to be redone. And please if you say that glade guard are beautifull, gw can come with something a lot LOT better.

But i lost hope that Gw will ever make a dragon that don't look weird/gross/like a chicken. oh and also their treeman and treekin are one of the worst of their kind.... When you see the Creature Caster kickstarter : 5 man team in vancouver, build the ever best looking dragon, deamon prince and treemen of all time (well, they dont propose the treeman anymore because it will be redone, but pics are still availlable and even the "not enough good looking treeman" for them was like 100times better than the gw one), and then GW who have millions and millions as profit ever year didn't bother to make proper treeman.../dragon (especially dragons) (or resculpt deamon prince in like 25 years but that not the subject)

I would really love GW to make me lie when i say they can't do forest spirit by showing awesome models but i know this is not going to happen this decade.

Spiney Norman
15-02-2014, 03:49
Devastating news, 40k radio has revised their release order rumours on their Facebook page, March, April, May and June are apparently going to be back to back 40k releases (Knights, Imperial Guard, 7th edition and Orks respectively). Their only comment on wood elves is;
"Wood elves are coming soon, keep your pants on"

So no revised timetable for welfs as yet, but its pretty clear there won't be anything else fantasy before July at the earliest...
This makes me a sad panda...

Lars Porsenna
15-02-2014, 06:32
I saw the same thing and while that dissappoints me somewhat, at least it gives me a little breathing room! With DE AND HE upgraded last year, and now Dwarfs, I need a break...

Damon.

lbecks
15-02-2014, 07:19
The dwarf release makes me think they're going to go plastic characters and conversions rather than all new stuff with the WE.

Brother Haephestus
15-02-2014, 07:28
Are they miners? Underage drinking??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ83r886Kyg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Avian
15-02-2014, 12:49
7th edition is apparently just a relaunch of the rulebook, so that leaves May open for a Fantasy release. Note how the minis they mention are all for April and then it's Orks in June. And 40K Radio have been saying WE in May for quite a long while.

Spiney Norman
15-02-2014, 13:15
7th edition is apparently just a relaunch of the rulebook, so that leaves May open for a Fantasy release. Note how the minis they mention are all for April and then it's Orks in June. And 40K Radio have been saying WE in May for quite a long while.

Its odd that they left wood elves off their schedule though isn't it?
If you've been saying "wood elves in May" for months and then you post a list of releases for the next 4 months that goes up to June and welfs aren't on it, that is pretty conspicuous for me. There were comments about wood elves being left off on their too and their response was "they are coming" not "oooops we missed them off the list".

Besides new editions typically have a month to themselves to deal with special editions of the rule book, starter sets, fancy one off collectors models, bizarre yet characterful gaming aids etc.

Avian
15-02-2014, 13:32
Yeah, but they've been clear on there not being a new starter box, and no Wood Elves in May would then mean a month with one new book and really nothing else.

BTW, I've gone back and sorted the rumours according to the previous accuracy of the posters.

EffCee
15-02-2014, 14:19
With releases going weekly, the monthly release schedule may be a little redundant. I can't imagine Imperial Knights and a new Edition of 40K taking up 2 whole months (or 7/8 issues of WD). Knights and Guard may be the next 4 issues of WD for example, leaving April free for Wood Elves, or perhaps 40K will be released week 2 or 3 of May with Wood Elf releases split between April/May. Just a thought.

Great job on the first post Avian :yes:

For what it's worth here's what I think we'll get:

Plastic Eternal Guard/? 'Sisters' unit
Plastic Wild Riders/dual build
Plastic characters: Beastmaster/Spellsinger/Highborn
Plastic Treeman
Plastic Warhawks/dual build

Spiney Norman
15-02-2014, 15:35
Yeah, but they've been clear on there not being a new starter box, and no Wood Elves in May would then mean a month with one new book and really nothing else.

BTW, I've gone back and sorted the rumours according to the previous accuracy of the posters.

I guess there is room for it, (though new editions have traditionally always had a month, or even two devoted to them). I just wonder why they left wood elves off the release schedule if they are still sure of it. It seems to me that they have been saying wood elves in May for ages, and that to now put out a release order including the month of May without wood elves on, something must have happened to at least make them doubt their previous info was right. Wood elves are now 'coming soon' rather than 'coming in May', so there is now an element of uncertainty at the very least which has made them back off from it.

And yet they are confident enough to say "Orks in June"

Leonathion
16-02-2014, 13:28
Is it likely we'll get 4 40k releases on top of each other?

Seems like there should be a fantasy release in there...

Spiney Norman
16-02-2014, 15:43
Is it likely we'll get 4 40k releases on top of each other?

Seems like there should be a fantasy release in there...

I agree it sounds unlikely, but with 40k radio's track record I'm unwilling to just dismiss it.

To be honest I've been waiting what 8 years for a new wood elf book, a couple more months isn't going to make that much difference, it would just be nice if there was a revised timescale, "coming soon" is a bit to vague for my liking.

Avian
16-02-2014, 16:12
You should try asking them on Facebook.

SkawtheFalconer
16-02-2014, 16:27
I agree it sounds unlikely, but with 40k radio's track record I'm unwilling to just dismiss it.

To be honest I've been waiting what 8 years for a new wood elf book, a couple more months isn't going to make that much difference, it would just be nice if there was a revised timescale, "coming soon" is a bit to vague for my liking.

I read it as they were just addressing the upcoming 40K release date. I'm with Avian, and would still expect a May release.

Shush
16-02-2014, 17:08
I'm quite excited about new wood elves if they're coming :)

Spiney Norman
16-02-2014, 18:38
You should try asking them on Facebook.

I did, hence the 'coming soon' comment

EffCee
16-02-2014, 18:54
I read it as they were just addressing the upcoming 40K release date. I'm with Avian, and would still expect a May release.

Yeah, They just say that they have some new rumours, not 'this is the schedule from now till June'

Alltaken
30-05-2014, 19:13
Totally wrong thread and thredomancy, ups!

Avian
30-05-2014, 19:16
Hey, I think my guesses were pretty good!