PDA

View Full Version : What's the "most awesome" Forces of Destruction army?

John Wernkvist
13-02-2014, 13:13
Hello fellow tabletop-gamers.

I don't know if I'm in the right forum for this so please correct if I'm fumbling this!

You have a nice looking army or two, you've enjoyed many games with your group of friends and after many battles with your trusted soldiers and heroes you find yourself with an urge to start something new.
If you've experienced something like this then you know what must be done in this case, start a whole new army! Perhaps the most dreadful and exciting about this is the choice of army in question to start with. I now find myself in this particular situation, with the urge to start a new army.

My previous armies have been High elf, Empire and Brettionia. The last one had to be sold to finance the first sadly. I look back on these armies and find that they have one thing in common: They're all Forces of Order. Needles to say I've decided to join the dark side for a while. I believe my earlier armies together cover up all the aspects of playing Warhammer Fantasy in the form of Movement, Magic, Shooting and Close Combat. So the new army do not HAVE to fill up any new "undiscovered" way of playing the game even thou it's usually what I'm always looking for.

I therefor turn to you my fellow Warhammer Generals, what evil army of thieves, thugs or dark lords should one do battle with in the years to come? In other words, what's the best Forces of Destruction army to pick?
(Best is of course how you yourself see it, it's not always the most competitive lists or powerhouses but maybe the best Fluff?)

Take 10 seconds and post an army or if your kind maybe an explanation.

Malagor
13-02-2014, 13:38
I would say Skaven.
They are alot of fun to play, they can do things in each phase and tend to be quite good at it and offer quite alot of flavor to them as well.
That the fluff for them is awesome and models are quite awesome is just another plus. Really, it's the only book where I have read that has them trying to get you to think as a skaven with the whole "if you lose, blame someone else" thing.
Also DOOMWHEELS!
But if you can't stand random things then skaven is probably not for you.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 13:48
A nice easy answer: Dark Elves, the best model range in the game by light-years, great fluff and a powerhouse on the table top, they have the whole package. However they are somewhat similar to your high elf army, in which case I would choose...

Second place: Vampire counts, one of my favourite back-stories in the game, thoroughly evil without being a chaos-toady like most of the other FoD, plus their model line is also pretty hot (just so long as you don't want zombies).

Playing an undead army is quite a different way of doing things to most of the other armies out there, I've played tomb kings for a long time and they are really good fun, vamps are just the 'evil' undead.

John Wernkvist
13-02-2014, 15:29
Malagor:
Skaven eh? You have some interesting arguments there. They are very unique to, don't know if any other fantasy games have races of rat-men in them
(Turtles excluded ;-)). If I'm not mistaken then they also have a Uniforms and Heraldrybook so some interesting fluff should be easy obtainable. I will move them up on my list!

Spiney:
You are quite right, I have considered Dark elf but also got the feeling it would be High elf 2.0. Both of them having ASF armywide does contribute to :-). Hmm VC you say, they would be cool. And if it's something I haven't tried it's playing with an army were everything is Immune to Psychology. The idea of having a necromancer raising hordes of undead is quite interesting.

Thx guys, needless to say I've moved both VC and Skaven up on the list but I added a poll just in case there are some other members who have an idea but no time to post. I'm thinking of starting this army in a month or two, so depending on the response and the result of the poll it will generally be an army favored by this forum. I'll probably start a thread in the Painting section to when I'm up and going :-).

thormon
13-02-2014, 15:38
Skaven. It's all about sneaky plots and planning, weird contraptions, random stuff. They're a very different army to the ones you have, with no cavalry, lots of horde potential and access to monstrous infantry. The only thing close is probably O&G. Both armies are fun to play with and against, especially if you don't expect to win. No battle will be boring.

mostlyharmless
13-02-2014, 15:54
Another opportunity to quote myself? Don't mind if I do. This is a bit I shared with a fellow debating going with either dark elves or skaven, but the logic still applies.

As a long time Dark Elf player, I gotta jump in and say that Dark Elves are one of the most rewarding armies to play in Fantasy. You don't need a high model count, like you have with skaven. The models themselves are beautiful. The Dark Elves can excel at any aspect of the game, so you can tailor your army to suit your play style. You can do lots of cav and ride circles around everyone. You can do a defensive force that relies on ranks of grim killers and relentless hails of bolts from reapers and crossbows. You can throw down tons of monsters and trample your enemies under their clawed feet. You can do an entire witch cult of Khaine, ripping the enemy to shreds in closs combat.

I don't have much time, so I'll close with what I tell people when describing dark elves: the dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that.

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 15:57
Its worth pointing out that while you can make a dark elf list that is almost a mirror of the high elf one, you certainly don't have to do that a pirate style list with corsairs, and sea monsters or a massed witch elf list with a cauldron of blood isn't particularly high elfy.

Dark Aly
13-02-2014, 17:18
Orcs and gobbos. OK they have limited 'power' builds but very few truly poor choices either. They have the most entertaining racial character of all the races and most of the models look pretty too.

dutchwarlord
13-02-2014, 17:27
Orcs and gobbos. OK they have limited 'power' builds but very few truly poor choices either. They have the most entertaining racial character of all the races and most of the models look pretty too.
And the have squigs :D. Orcs and gobbos are a very entertaining army to play with and against imho. You will have to live with animosity, which can be a pain in the neck :p Skaven are a very strong choice, and because of the IoB set not even very expensive (if you sell the high elves). They have got fantastic contraptions like the plague furnace and the Doomwheel.

NagashLover
13-02-2014, 17:34
I recommend Vampire Counts but I'm heavily biased due to playing since Undead since a long time ago. The new book though lacking the Bloodline specific powers I very much enjoyed did put back in a focus on Necromancers! Which is what I field now alongside a Wight/skellie themed force. The big draw for me was how those drawn to the VC side of things do it out of an obsession with personal power. This is all power they gained through their own actions, not by praying to some chaos god or currying favour like an errand boy/girl!

I can relate to that. Control it's all about control. Plus I'm a fan of just about anything horror (from Hammer films to Dog Soldiers to Silent Hill) and Undead hit that itch. So due to the split, a long while back, I do play TK as well.

On the flip side with VC you could always go wet (zombies and/or Crypt ghouls) and vampire. Vampire units allow for some rapid mobility. The book does lend itself to many different ways to play it, though not all playstyles are as competitive as the next. You can go huge hordes with magic support backed with an engine. You can go vampire heavy with ghoul support making it very "elite". Lots of flyers. Heavy on ethereal units. Scream heavy lists. As well as mix and match to better fit your meta.

I do dislike the ghoul/horror models though.

So ya that's my .02 in the hat.

childsoldier
13-02-2014, 17:38
I'm an evil so and so and if I had the money I would have a force from each and every "evil" army (damn those do-gooders and their labelling, they're not evil just misunderstood). I play Dark Elves and thoroughly enjoy the experience, though if you have HE it's probably not enough of a change, or at least it wouldn't be for me. Skaven might be fun for the amount of hilarious stuff you can throw into it, though if your Empire army is full of Hellblasters and Rocket Batteries perhaps you're used to that too! I'd vote VC just cos I think there's probably no other army that plays exactly like them. My mate plays them and the tactic of "damn, that unit looks a little light after that combat, better bump it up!" seems pretty appealing to me. Aesthetic-wise I've always loved the Beastmen.

But yeah, it doesn't matter what you play, you're gonna have fun. May the world tremble at your coming. Welcome to the Dark Side!

Quetzl
13-02-2014, 18:14
Beastmen are a great army, if you want to have a bit of fun of course! The miniatures are fantastic and are fun to paint, especially if you've been painting uniforms and clean edges throughout your hobby life.

Of course if you want an army that is good at bashing face reliably then Beastmen probably aren't for you, but if you want to have a laugh then definitely grab the goats.

Nixon28/02
13-02-2014, 18:41
I have an Orcs & Goblins army and love them to bits as they just have so much character. But in terms of a power army vampire counts are quite nasty (i think) and a really unique one too, not too many armies where you can have a lord that costs a quarter of your army and still have more models on the board than your opponent

Sqallum
13-02-2014, 19:19
Daemons of Chaos. Very fun - you can never be complacent with Daemons of Chaos, because the Warp Storm tables will screw you over....it just makes for such, varied gameplay. So, in essence with Daemons, expect the unexpected! And what is more fun and varied than that?

Plus, GUOs/Beasts of Nurgle/Plaguebearers are just the boss.

Archon of Death
13-02-2014, 19:52
I voted for all. I started by voting for my army VC, then added in WoC because they are so gorgeous and great for that horrorshow norse warriors style, then I added daemons, because, come on, they have so many conversion possibilities and I have always adored Slaanesh. Oh, right couldn't forget Chaos Dwarfs since their miniatures and styles are all so great. But wait, those Dark Elf Witches are damn sexy and possibly some of the best minis GW has made. Hrm, couldn't forget Beastmen, whose Gors look so much like minotaurs that I can't hate them for having horrid looking minotaur models and I *********** love minotaurs. Oh lord, I almost forgot Skaven, the chaotic crazy rat hordes, gotta love them and their unique styling. Oh and Orcs and Goblins are amazing for their humorous style and societal hierarchy. Oh man, can't forget Ogre Kingdoms who can build powerful lists and have such overwhelmingly cool miniatures.

You know what armies I hate? Lizardmen, The Empire, and Tomb Kings. Those are the only armies I wouldn't field. One because I never have cared for Troglodytes, lizard people, frog people, etc... in fact the only reptilian races I've ever loved are the Slaan of Warhammer, Kobolds, Yuan-ti, and the various races of Dragon (aside from Spellscales which were introduced in Book of Erotic Fantasy fashion horrid pictures (I DENOUNCE RACES OF THE DRAGON, IT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN PRINTED WITH THOSE PICTURES)). The Empire angers me by having both casters and black powder weapons (I want to punch Karl Franz in his face). And the last I dislike for not being as cool as vampires.

Kakapo42
13-02-2014, 20:16
Vampire Counts. I love me some good classic horror tropes.

Second place goes to Beastmen, for being the classic nemesis to my Wood Elves.

Mithras69
13-02-2014, 20:20
My vote goes to the Beastmen: awesome looking infantry (gor, ungor, bestigor especially) and almoast every battle will end in an absolute hand-to-hand slaughterfest with lots of casualties on both sides. :skull:

SteveW
13-02-2014, 20:29
Not only are Orcs N Goblins the most awesome in the forces of destruction, they're the only awesome in the forces of destruction.

Archon of Death
13-02-2014, 20:45
Yeah, in my book nothing is cooler than Vampires/Necromancers/The Undead. Oh wait, except demons and devils from another reality, mutant half beast men, savage orcs, scheming rat men, sadistic hedonist elves, duergar, and vikings. But not really cooler... just as cool. They're all cool. It's like GW said "Hey, how can we remind people that evil things are cool?" and then just made a whole lot of cool stuff cooler by putting it into Warhammer. Pretty cool.

You know what you can do with the Forces of Destruction that you can't really do with the Forces of Order? You can have their mouths, jaws, mandibles, beaks, claws, wings, etc covered in realistic blood from rubber cement and paint. Blood, all over the place, and skulls. Maybe even make a throne of skulls, and pay tribute to your god with blood.

What do the forces of order get that allows them to be darker, more realistic, and still alive? ****. They get ****. You remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Yeah, the best you can do is just load them up with ****. Maybe some evil rabbits, but those things are evil. Heck, if you do the Forces of Destruction, and someone else is doing the Forces of Order and they have any sort of Monty Python and the Holy Grail theme, you can field rabbits, and it works.

popisdead
13-02-2014, 21:02
Beastmen. .

Karak Norn Clansman
13-02-2014, 21:27
It was a tie between Skaven, Greenskins and Chaos Dwarfs. For obvious reasons. :D

Knifeparty
13-02-2014, 21:34
Dark Elves.

They are sexy chain mail bikini wearing pirate ninjas that ride raptors into battle and cast evil magic. All other arguments are invalidated.

Karak Norn Clansman
13-02-2014, 21:36
Dark Elves.

They are sexy chain mail bikini wearing pirate ninjas that ride raptors into battle and cast evil magic. All other arguments are invalidated.

Orcs use Goblins as hand weapons when animosity sets in. There you have a valid argument. :p

Urgat
13-02-2014, 22:25
Orcs and goblins, because all the other are neither orcs nor goblins.

Thorin
13-02-2014, 22:31
O&G. They've just got everything.

SteveW
13-02-2014, 22:33
Dark Elves.

You mean the men are such wussies that they'd rather field their women naked?

Knifeparty
13-02-2014, 22:47
A naked chick running at you with a dagger ready to tear your head off has a lot more balls than anything in your army my friend.

Archon of Death
13-02-2014, 23:05
A naked chick running at you with a dagger ready to tear your head off has a lot more balls than anything in your army my friend.

I've been there, I've dealt with this. It ended up with an adult rating. I ended up with some scars, she ended up with some scars, and we dated for about 3 months.

Knifeparty
14-02-2014, 01:27
I've been there, I've dealt with this. It ended up with an adult rating. I ended up with some scars, she ended up with some scars, and we dated for about 3 months.

I know that feel bro..

Urgat
14-02-2014, 06:30

Tell that to my forest goblins.

snottlebocket
14-02-2014, 07:34
Tell that to my forest goblins.

Shaman, me think I'm going bonkers. I feel like my skin is no longer covered in spiders!

Acephale
14-02-2014, 07:51
Skaven are the most disgusting and repulsive evil guys, no doubt. Skaven society is a twisted version of human mass culture, and what could be more evil than that? They have the potential to be the most powerful race in the whole world, but they eat each other instead (literally). They've infested all major civilizations, they're addicted to radioactive meteorites and they hunt chaos monsters to make giant rat-cyborgs out of them. Hard to beat.

Dark Elves may be evil but they're just too emo about it with their long girlish hair and refined ways. They just try too hard, they're like teenage boys who've just discovered black metal and try and shock their parents with how "evil" they are.

Same with WoC, the most generic metalhead army out there.

Greenskins are not really evil, they're just brutal and daft. Basically soccer hooligans.

Daemons are more of a force of nature than evil villains. They just do what they do.

VC are a nice gothic evildoer army but to me the whole zombie/dracula theme is a bit worn out by now.

Beastmen though, are a strong competitor for second place among the destructive guys. There's something ancient and uncanny about humans with beast heads (I just watched American Horror Story: Coven btw so I have some strong images in my mind's eye), and the whole pagan, wood-dwelling, baby eating thing is kind of creepy. Also it's an underdog army which is appealing.

sacred six
14-02-2014, 08:41
As someone just starting chaos dwarfs i have to give them another mention. They have the arrogance to believe they can bind and control daemons (k'daai) and will enslave anything, plus they created black orcs which i love fluff wise.

Its a small elite army but with magic/bound daemons/ awesome warmachines/dwarven sturdiness/bull centaurs and slaves, it looks a lot of fun 😊

Karak Norn Clansman
14-02-2014, 09:12

O&G. They've just got everything.

We Chaos Dwarfs have got Orcs and Goblins. As slaves. :evilgrin:

Urgat
14-02-2014, 11:55
Greenskins are not really evil, they're just brutal and daft. Basically soccer hooligans.

They're totally evil. They're like natural evil. Take any fluff by GW, remove the funny that gives the "comedy" aspect of OnG, and you have the most horrible monsters you can get. You can sum it up by "greenskins are monsters that raid villages, slaughter everything alive (or not) in sight, eat people, and have fun torturing them, not for information, not to gain anything. For fun. And they do it to each other too". We barely avoided the rape part. That they find it amusing and normal doesn't make them any less evil ;) It's like saying a psychopath is not evil because what he does is not, in his own frame of mind. Greenskins are a species of true psychopaths.

We Chaos Dwarfs have got Orcs and Goblins. As slaves. :evilgrin:
Can't argue against that, but I like the chaos stunties too, so that's fine. (won't mention black orcs showing them the errors of their ways, then).

Treg Almighty
14-02-2014, 12:03

Urgat has a point

badguyshaveallthefun
14-02-2014, 15:18
I'm a huge fan of Warriors of Chaos.

Not only are the models expensive (Meaning you'll have fewer to paint and assemble) but a painted army looks stunning with all that dark iron (mine anyway, but I've seen LOTS of really awesome paint schemes) and fur across the board.

There are a lot of different, fun, competitive lists that can be made from the book, whether you want warriors, trolls, chariots, or marauders in core (horsemen, not infantry, stay away from the infantry) and if you want a fast (knights and skullcrushers) or a march forward slowly (warriors, chosen warshrine) type of list. Our characters are also the hardest in the game to kill, so we have that going for us as well.

Overall they're just fun.

stortotta
14-02-2014, 15:26
I would have voted Ogres...

boli
14-02-2014, 16:17
Skaven, you just don;t care if you loose as long as you get to play :)

(O&G pretty similar but you do not get the same shock and awe that bringing thousands of troops gets you :P)

InstantKarma
14-02-2014, 16:40
I went with Beastmen mosly because I enjoy the idea of an army of Classical Greek monsters running amok in a Medievial/Renaissance setting.

That being said, I'm impressed that Beastmen are currently 2nd place to O&G.

Gerod253
14-02-2014, 18:18
Warriors of Chaos for pure metal. Plus, you get to literally 'Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War!'

Orcs and Goblins are a close second though.

Acephale
15-02-2014, 12:28
They're totally evil. They're like natural evil. Take any fluff by GW, remove the funny that gives the "comedy" aspect of OnG, and you have the most horrible monsters you can get. You can sum it up by "greenskins are monsters that raid villages, slaughter everything alive (or not) in sight, eat people, and have fun torturing them, not for information, not to gain anything. For fun. And they do it to each other too". We barely avoided the rape part. That they find it amusing and normal doesn't make them any less evil ;) It's like saying a psychopath is not evil because what he does is not, in his own frame of mind. Greenskins are a species of true psychopaths.

Bah, psychopathic pillage, torture and rape are just beginner's stuff - it's like "evil for dummies". ;)

Building an enormous underground empire, constructing radioactive war machines and cybernetic chaos-rat monsters, worshiping horned rats, plague and chaos moons, using cannibalism as a power tool, and plotting to eat the civilized world from within (while pretending to not exist at all) - that's taking it to the next level.

Borgomos
15-02-2014, 12:52
Skaven embody everything that you would find deplorable in a human being. Selfish, cruel,greedy, cowardly, filled with hubris, filthy, disloyal and corrupt. A Khorne Warrior can be honorable. A Dark Elf Prince can have principles. ANY Skaven, even the lowliest slave believes without a shred of doubt that one day they will rise above everyone else, and everything they do, they do for this very purpose. For self-gain.

By contrast, the Warriors of Chaos and the Dark Elves have a sense of enigma to them. They are "impressive" to us. A Chaos Lord is practically a demigod walking among mortal men. A Dark Elf moves with a grace that makes you feel like hairless ape. A Skaven will just make you want to puke on the floor, and ironically, he will find you even more disgusting in return.

Urgat
15-02-2014, 14:07
Well yeah, chaos warriors and dark elves are evil because of their culture. You'd raise a elf baby from Naggaroth or one from Norsca in the Moot, with a loving halfling mother and a joyful environnement, I'm sure he'd be nice and stuff. I'd wager skavens or goblins would be evil no matter what.

Vipoid
15-02-2014, 14:15
Well, 'Awesome' is subjective, but here are my thoughts on some of the armies:

Skaven probably have my favourite fluff of any WHFB army - and are arguably the most unique race. I love the personalities of the rats, as well as their haphazard technology. I'm less keen on how they actually play, but that's just a personal quirk.

VC and WoC both boast very strong lords and heroes, as well as the ability to back them up with impressive monsters. The former tends to have more numerous, but weaker troops (which can be raised) - whilst the latter has much more elite troops, but fewer of them. I've grouped these simply because they're both armies that favour strong characters and monsters, though their playstyles are relatively different.

DEs boast some excellent models, some good fluff and units that can dish out a lot of damage (but can't usually take much punishment back).

Anyway, those are the ones I would consider the most awesome.

Mithras69
15-02-2014, 19:54
That being said, I'm impressed that Beastmen are currently 2nd place to O&G.

Had not expected that either since they are probably the least played army (in my surroundings at least). Makes you wonder how many would play them if they had a better/stronger army book.