PDA

View Full Version : Triumph & Treachery?

Chickenbane
13-02-2014, 16:06
Has anyone got any views on this supplement? I was thinking of buying it but i'd like a couple of opinions of people who have played it. A fortnight ago we had a 2 v 2 battle with warriors of Chaos & Daemons of Chaos vs Wood elves & Brettonians. It was a great laugh and it got me thinking about the supplement. Cheers.

forseer of fates
13-02-2014, 16:38
I have it, its fun for a few games, but 4/5 players even at 2k each just takes to much time and that's the biggest problem its very time consuming, its way easier just to play a 2 vs 2 game if possible.

Artiee
13-02-2014, 16:46
It is time consuming, but fun. The treachery cards add a different accept to the game. #I'm charging that unit..*plays card* No your not, pick someone else....

Smogg
13-02-2014, 16:47
I have it and have tried a VC vs Ogre vs Demons and it was good fun. There is quite a lot of backstabbing and random stuff going on. It is true it can be a bit time consuming, but considering each player get 6 turns, it seems justified.

Horus38
13-02-2014, 16:51
It is a fun/worthy investment. It rekindled some warhammer love in our club by allowing us to bring an odd 3rd or 5th person in to still participate as a group.

SimaoSegunda
13-02-2014, 20:02
Our club normally plays 2.5k games of fantasy. With TNT, we found that 3 players at 1.5k takes a roughly similar amount of time.

Xerkics
13-02-2014, 21:16
Does this explicitly support team games like 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 2 ? One of my friends is whining that its just for free for all 3 -5 player games and he ll have none of it. It looks interesting concept to me but as we only play team games im curious if that aspect is specifically supported?

Blkc57
14-02-2014, 01:40
Does this explicitly support team games like 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 2 ? One of my friends is whining that its just for free for all 3 -5 player games and he ll have none of it. It looks interesting concept to me but as we only play team games im curious if that aspect is specifically supported?

In many ways it is a free for all Xerkics. You can form teams but there is nothing that binds a person to a team except his word. One person can betray his team at any moment. But that is the entire fun of T&T. Every session I've played has devolved down into epic mind games, bribe sessions, and pure unadulterated betrayal. I remember one time I paid a friend with premiere tickets to go to 47 Ronin with his wife if he backstabbed his own brother and allowed me to win. The next day he angrily calls me to tell me how much the movie sucked and how he got cheated in the deal, I told him "Well the game is called Triumph and TREACHERY!". All I hear is silence on the phone before he answers "Touche" and hangs up.

Lord Solar Plexus
14-02-2014, 05:15
This isn't exactly a rules question...

I too think it's good fun and well worth the investment. We've only played without mercs until now but it can be nice to field something completely weird once in a while.

sorberec
14-02-2014, 05:44
I have it, its fun for a few games, but 4/5 players even at 2k each just takes to much time and that's the biggest problem its very time consuming, its way easier just to play a 2 vs 2 game if possible.

Have you not considered using smaller lists (or is your group all wedded to your armies' respective toys :) )? Most of the podcasts I've listened to where they've covered T&T have run their games at 1,000 points per player.

Colonel Mayhem
14-02-2014, 05:55
My group has played it a number of times and it is fantastic. 1500 pts are the amount we play it at and our Vampire Count player already has trouble fitting everything onto the board. Our experience is also that you should play it with people who enjoy the social aspect, and beer and Manowar is mandatory.

Tae
14-02-2014, 08:04
I'd echo what others have said about how awesome it is.

Technically there's nothing stopping you doing 2 v 2 v 2 and having those teams as 'unbreakable' - in fact it may make it more amusing to watch a team fight over a particular card.

But it needs at least 3/4 tesms to make it worthwhile otherwise just play as singles

TheKingInYellow
14-02-2014, 16:44
Yup it's awesome. Played a 2k 3-way game last week and I was backstabbed by my WoC 'ally' late in the game, only to pull out victory in the last turn by killing his general in a challenge after completely screwing over his last turn with treachery cards.

Easily the most fun game I've had in the last few years.

Fle
14-02-2014, 17:29
Easily the most fun game I've had in the last few years.

T&T is the only Warhammer our group plays nowadays, it really is great fun.

Colonel Mayhem
14-02-2014, 19:21
Another small thing to add. The Triumph and Treachery scenarios(only 3 sadly) are vastly more fun than the usual ones from the rulebook. You get rewarded for: killing enemy generals and controlling areas. It forces people to play aggresively.

Also the way player turns are handled is hilarious to us old-timers who have the I-go-you-go mindset ingrained in the back of our heads. Triumph and treachery don't work that way and you WILL only remember it when it is time to draw new turn cards:p

Kolvin
14-02-2014, 19:45
Trying it on Monday and I cannot wait. 4 person game and to keep it quick we're going super low on the points at 750. Should be a super lean game.

Skaven, Empire, High Elves, and Vampires. Should be pretty table. :-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Kolvin
20-02-2014, 23:37
Btw we tried a 5 player game on monday and it was EPIC! So much fun!

The cards really make it impossible to know what will happen turn to turn so you have to make plans that will resist the most treacherous plays.

At the end of the game everyone was smiling and everyone had a great time. :-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Shidensen
22-02-2014, 17:39
I bought the set when it came out for our gaming group and it was definitely worth it. The cards add a lot to the game, allowing you to turn combats in your favor (like when my 6 Skullcrushers charged a unit of Witch Elves with the Cauldron and due to my opponent's cards I had to re-roll all successful armor saves and the Witch Elves had +1S) or even hinder other enemies when it's not your turn, like how one card can help an opponent's spell go off. The cards give you something to do when you're not actively playing and always keeps it interesting.

I will say that it does take a long time, the first few I did were 2800 points per player with 4 people, and I don't think we made it past Turn 4 each time. I did it a couple weeks ago with 3 people at 1500 points and that was very manageable. The game does work better at lower points (1500 worked very well) since your deployment zone becomes very cramped when you have more units...especially if you have the luck that I do and always have to deploy in the middle :(

inq.serge
22-02-2014, 20:52
I've only seen a 4x 1000 fight once. It wasn't only the funniest game I've seen, It was the only fun WFB game I've seen (From an audience point of view.)

Oh the backstabbery.

It was VC vs Brets vs HE vs WoC.

VC started by hiding and raising. The Brets and HE tried to team up on VC, since it was the tournament finale, and they both where pissed at the VC player, and they tried to get the WoC player to join their cause, but WoC sent most of his force on HE due to HE being closer, almost wiping him out. Brets and VC fought heavily, but to VCs favour. WoC sent his chimera to attack VC, but never stated his intention, so the Bret got nervous and attacked the chimera, again to the benefit of VC. VC and WoC had most gold, and it was WoCs (and the games) last turn, so he decide to just wipe out the HE to win the game, but then, HE pulls the "Can't attack me"-card, so WoC has to chose an other enemy, and since no-ones in charge range, he loses, making the VC player, which the Bret and HE hated, win.