PDA

View Full Version : Would a Narrative Campaign event be interesting to you? Would you travel to one?

IcedCrow
13-02-2014, 17:15
Many of us know how fun tournaments can be, and the large tournaments have people traveling from everywhere to go to them.

How about a narrative campaign weekend? Lets say... Lustria campaign? A two day event that is fully focused on the narrative with plaques given out for various categories (best painted, best army, overall)...

What's the difference between that and a tournament?

Well there are similarities. Both have a winner. I like to run campaigns with factions where you win as a faction not as individuals, but for a public event that's hard because you don't want one faction with say 20 people and another faction with 10... there is an obvious advantage there.

Maybe teams... narrative teams might work.

Anyhow... what kind of support would something like this garner?

Nerd Knight
13-02-2014, 17:19
I would LOOOOOOOVE an event like that, and would totally travel for it. As the person in my group who tends to champion any campaign efforts i'd love to actually get to participate in one. Tournaments are well and good but don't feed my need for my favourite part of the hobby - the storyline. Give me a storyline that I can change with my actions and that I feel it logical that my army be there and I'm a happy gamer!

childsoldier
13-02-2014, 17:27
I've never been to a tournie and never intend to really, not my cup of tea, but depending on how it was run (e.g. lots of individual games vs. several large multiplayer ones), the setting and how far it was I could definitely see myself heading to one. "Competitive" play I don't really go for, but give me a good narrative and an in-universe goal to work towards and suddenly I get very competitive!

Odin
13-02-2014, 17:29
Much more interesting to me than a competitive tournament. So yeah, definitely.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
13-02-2014, 18:18
I'm not sure to be honest, we are running a narrative campaign at the moment and part of the fun of it is the diplomatic decisions, interactions between battles etc which you just don't get in a two day event. In a proper ongoing narrative campaign actual battles are just a small part of the fun, our narrative campaigns often last for several months or more.

I'm not against travelling per se, but I have a lot of what I need at my local club, and if There was something else I wanted to get started it'd be up to me to sell it to the east of the group and get it going.

SSquirrel
15-02-2014, 01:25
As a member of your group who will be participating in the planned full length Lustria campaign this June, I say go for it :) We talking groups or 3-5 people from Order/Chaos on each side of a table, several tables like that setup?

Lord Dan
15-02-2014, 01:29
Sounds like a blast, though Terminus Est might be a bit far for me. ;)

Darnok
15-02-2014, 01:37
"Sigmars Blood" is a narrative campaign in book form. It got both me and a friend exited for WHF again. So in some way: yes. I wouldn't travel for an organised event of this sort though. I'm just too lazy.

P.S.: To the OP: I really don't like your new avatar. :(

Djekar
15-02-2014, 01:44
I could see myself traveling for this, especially if it was done really well. I too would like to see some multiplayer games featured, perhaps even a siege game too, just to further distance it from the regular tournaments.

Lord Dan
15-02-2014, 02:37
P.S.: To the OP: I really don't like your new avatar. :(
Oh, wow. I didn't even recognize who it was at first.

Brother Haephestus
15-02-2014, 06:39
Not only would I love to attend, but I'd cook a big dish of something potluck style to attend with!

Disposable Hero
15-02-2014, 08:21
Yep, have army, love narrative, will travel.

Especially for Tamurkhan.

IcedCrow
15-02-2014, 17:13
P.S.: To the OP: I really don't like your new avatar
My avatar is a mood ring for the internet right now.

Especially for Tamurkhan.
We did a big campaign for Tamurkhan last year, it was beyond words :)

I'm thinking that this year we are doing Lustria (my group) and I'd like to move it to a more "event" style, run once a month with prizes etc given monthly instead of at the end.

SSquirrel
16-02-2014, 00:56
I'm not familiar w/the image for your new avatar, someone will have to clue me in. Turning Louisville, KY into a destination vacation for Warhammer geeks is kind of funny :)

Danny76
17-02-2014, 00:01
I'd definitely do something like this.
But not a tournament. Most of my gaming group say the same.
I love hearing about tourneys and results but if I went somewhere it'd be for something like this.

IcedCrow
17-02-2014, 13:46
I am working on changing the events that I run here to be more event-driven like a tournament would be but only for narrative campaigns.

This year is Lustria, starting in July. We will be using Triumph and Treachery rules as well for three way battles.

Each chapter (event) the winner receives a Golden Tablet, which is a starmap leading to the Golden Pyramid of the Heavens. There are five chapters. The five holders of this item face the pyramid in the final battle - a 5 way storm of magic battle with the pyramid in the middle being a mega fulcrum held by an ancient slaan.

Necronartum
17-02-2014, 13:58
I am presently running a Narrative campaign with 5 players. We are on game 3. Its going really well.

It takes away the WAAC element by allowing you to balance the scenarios and buff and balance as appropriate to keep things fun.

I normally write a story (2 pages long) for each mission and the battles dictate the direction of the overall story. If you want what I have so far to for some inspiration, PM me and I'll send you the documents.

IcedCrow
17-02-2014, 13:59
That's exactly the style of game I run :)

If you are up to sharing, feel free to send me what you have. You can go to www.louisvillewargaming.com and look at the past events I've run and check out our campaign packets as well.

Brother Loki
17-02-2014, 15:28
I love campaign weekends. I've been to several run by a group called Tempus Fugitives in the UK. They used to do excellent campaign packs for both 40k and Fantasy with new units etc, including a 100+ page Horus Heresy sourcebook before Forge World did theirs. Their site is no longer up but you should be able to find some of their stuff on the Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130415035140/http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/

I've got a fair few of the campaign packs stored on my hard drive if you're interested.

IcedCrow
17-02-2014, 15:30
Sure hit me up :)

Brother Loki
17-02-2014, 16:21
Here they are. Most of the files are too big to attach to Warseer, so I've uploaded them elsewhere.

http://pgmason.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/tempus-fugitives-campaign-packs/

IcedCrow
17-02-2014, 16:25
Appreciate it look forward to reading them.

Kingly
17-02-2014, 17:59
Iced that's a great idea, it caters way more to gamers like myelf as well, I don't suppose Terminus Est is anywhere near London?! :D

IcedCrow
17-02-2014, 18:01
I don't suppose Terminus Est is anywhere near London?!

No it is floating over the Ohio Valley. I'd like to make the trek to London though :)

Daniel36
17-02-2014, 18:12
I would've, a while ago. In fact, I got pretty far into organising one, but then I completely lost interest in playing Warhammer so it was hard for me to continue organising it. I still have the document that started it all, if you're interested.

Vadth
20-02-2014, 00:16
On one hand it is one of my goals to be able to travel around the country to events like this. On the other I do not know realistically how soon I would be able to travel. And then there is the issue of house rules. The events of yours that I've follow had house rules. I don't mind reading about campaigns with house rules if they work for your group, but they are not something I would want to play under.

Moopy
20-02-2014, 01:14
I love the idea of a campaign based event but depending on the setup it may just prove too grueling. Campaigns take time and squeezing one into a single weekend would require a lot of planning, good design, or a lot games to be played which might burn people out.

I love writing scenarios as part of my hobby and have done my own campaign pack and i feel like for a weekend thing a 6 scenario low-points campaign could be fun, casual, and feasible, especially as an introduction to campaigning or playing wfb for a playgroup. Im currently working on a Sartosa warbands campaign in this format. :)

SSquirrel
20-02-2014, 07:47
On one hand it is one of my goals to be able to travel around the country to events like this. On the other I do not know realistically how soon I would be able to travel. And then there is the issue of house rules. The events of yours that I've follow had house rules. I don't mind reading about campaigns with house rules if they work for your group, but they are not something I would want to play under.

There are some house rules from reviewing past documents, but still not nearly as many restrictions as say ETC. Note, I have yet to play in the campaigns, Lustria will be my first

When u play Monopoly, do u allow buying properties first trip around or not? Play using $1000 in Free Parking? These are house rules. I guess for me, board games and different D&D groups have made me used to house rules. As long as things are spelled out cleanly for review, I don't care so much

Vadth
20-02-2014, 09:47
There are some house rules from reviewing past documents, but still not nearly as many restrictions as say ETC. Note, I have yet to play in the campaigns, Lustria will be my first

When u play Monopoly, do u allow buying properties first trip around or not? Play using $1000 in Free Parking? These are house rules. I guess for me, board games and different D&D groups have made me used to house rules. As long as things are spelled out cleanly for review, I don't care so much

And I would never ever play in ETC for that reason. As for Monopoly, I don't play with those rules. I will conceited that I have played Monopoly with house rules before, but that was because of a lack of knowing the rules oppose to willing to change the rules. Personally I rarely have seen Warhammer house rules I didn't hate. That said, I do need to amend my stance a little. Fluffy/storyline house rules I am fine with.

IcedCrow
20-02-2014, 13:30
There are only a small handful of house rules

* painted models hate unpainted models
* no death starring, defined as no more than 60 models in a unit or a unit by itself being worth more than 25% of the army or a unit with characters being worth more than 50% of the army
* Magic Resistance works against any spell, even those that give no save

This year we are jungle fighting in Lustria, which has its own special scenario rules:
* jungles block line of sight always
* if you march through dense jungles it counts as dangerous terrain. If you already suffer dangerous terrain from marching through forests (chariots) it counts as very dangerous terrain
* the humidity has an affect on gunpowder (this comes straight out of the lustria supplement)
* mysterious terrain is replaced by Lustria Encounters (which seems like where mysterious terrain came from, this is out of the lustria supplement)
* before the game, each player rolls on the event chart (straight out of the Lustria supplement)

The Lustria supplement was a campaign book they released in 2005 or so.