PDA

View Full Version : White dwarf weekly

autoro
14-02-2014, 10:50
Hi all, has any one read the new weekly mag, is it worth the money, or are GW just tring to cash in.

zoggin-eck
14-02-2014, 10:55
Give it a day and either the "General White Dwarf Feedback Thread", "White Dwarf Feedback Over Time" or "White Dwarf as we know it cancelled?" (or even the Dwarf release thread, since most people buying it are people interested in the new Dwarfs) will have your answer, if by "new" you mean the third issue? If not, take a better look around here in those threads or on any GW heavy forum, since it's been endlessly discussed.

(What happened to question marks at the end of questions?)

Herzlos
14-02-2014, 15:54
It depends on what you want it for. It's 32 pages long, will contain 16 pages of stuff you'll see on the website at the same time, and at least a 1 page advert for WH:V. So you're probably looking at 15 pages of watered down hobby stuff.

avien
16-02-2014, 15:30
Issues 1 and 2 independently had more content worth reading than the previous 12 copies of white dwarf monthly combined. IMHO.

paddyalexander
16-02-2014, 22:10
Issues 1 and 2 independently had more content worth reading than the previous 12 copies of white dwarf monthly combined. IMHO.

That's not saying much.

avien
16-02-2014, 22:27
That's not saying much.

That a single issue in a new shorter format had more worthwhile content than an entire years worth of its predecessors monthly version says plenty. It's a definite step in the right direction.

I know the cool thing these days is to bash anything they do, but the new format is working for me.

Avian
16-02-2014, 23:01
What were the parts worth reading?

Coasty
17-02-2014, 00:45
What were the parts worth reading?

Not much, if you don't like Dwarfs.

I could stretch to buying it if the whole month's worth came in one issue and didn't cost a tenner.

paddyalexander
17-02-2014, 01:12
That a single issue in a new shorter format had more worthwhile content than an entire years worth of its predecessors monthly version says plenty. It's a definite step in the right direction.

I know the cool thing these days is to bash anything they do, but the new format is working for me.

I should have been more clear. The new format does seem to be a small improvement over the previous incarnation of White Dwarf, which in my eyes has been completely devoid of content since 2005/2006.

Including full rules is good. The painting guides, battle reports and background articles all still look worthless.

The new weekly magazine is still not worth the price, especially when I can get the digital version of Privateer Press' No Quarter magazine for about the same price, the current larger magazine is only €4.40.

-DE-
17-02-2014, 07:31
How generous of GW to include rules found in the army book, allowing you to pay for them twice.

paddyalexander
17-02-2014, 08:08
How generous of GW to include rules found in the army book, allowing you to pay for them twice.

To be fair PP does this, all be it for models/units that are a month or two from release and the rules are included on cards with them anyway. What PP do that I really like is they will give the full rules from their expansions in the magazine, usually before the book is released so if someone wants to play using battle engines, ranking officers or colossals they can pick up the magazine instead of the €30 book.

shelfunit.
17-02-2014, 08:17

I have no problem with the "rules in WD" bit - how many pages of rules were there? The problem arises when this is all there is (on top of the 50% of the pamphlet being purely photos and price tags). 16 pages of non-catalogue material for 2.40 is a bit pathetic.

zoggin-eck
17-02-2014, 11:55

Well, they used to do it long ago and people seemed to complain when they stopped, too :) Not sure yet how I feel about it myself.

I have no problem with the "rules in WD" bit - how many pages of rules were there? The problem arises when this is all there is (on top of the 50% of the pamphlet being purely photos and price tags). 16 pages of non-catalogue material for 2.40 is a bit pathetic.

Exactly. A couple of pages for rules, perhaps a small painting article, a battle report and a page or two short story/background in addition to the understandable photos of new stuff and suddenly I'd be comfortable buying it, even regularly if it'll keep me entertained for a cup of coffee. I really didn't think it would be this hard! They already have staff who are good at all of these things! (Or at least proven that they can be in the past)

TheFang
17-02-2014, 12:02
Well, they used to do it long ago and people seemed to complain when they stopped, too :) Not sure yet how I feel about it myself.

It was rules for optional stuff or expansions not found anywhere else that people liked. They never used to extensively trail army book rules in such depth. New rules, not found anywhere else, good. Rules printed twice, bad.

zoggin-eck
17-02-2014, 12:28
They never used to extensively trail army book rules in such depth. New rules, not found anywhere else, good. Rules printed twice, bad.

I meant earlier than that, from say, the 80's to 200's. Without thinking too hard there's:

2nd ed. WHFB army lists before Ravening Hordes, previews of army lists for 3rd, Realm of Chaos rules for 3rd, army list and unit rules previews for every 4th army book (Empire before 4th even came out) entire Chaos Dwarf army book for 4th, the same for 5th fantasy and 2nd 40k as models were replaced (ork bike) or added (eldar viper) and the extra models for Necromunda. Rogue trader of course might have been the main "culprit", with so much reprinted later in books. Even more recently we've had units added before a book update, with new models like the beastmen monsters (before they realised they could charge for them as ebooks) and slightly less recently like the wave serpent. There would be so many more examples of rules I've "paid for twice".

People complained each time that GW seemingly stopped, even though you ended up with most issues being roughly a third rules that you already own (which wasn't as much of an issue, since there'd be a third or more useful content, too). I agree that optional rules, expansions and so on were appreciated too (and one of my favourite parts, too!).

"New rules, not found anywhere else, good." - Yep, things like the lead-up rules and background to Mordheim and BFG were well worth the magazine price.

Oakenshield
17-02-2014, 13:10
I enjoyed the latest issue (3). Bit to read (Battle Report needed a map though), I much prefer looking at pictures in print than on screen and the grudges bit at the back gave me a chuckle.

GW have included rules for new releases in WD for years and years, even during the hallowed Fat Dwarf phase (Praise be to Thornton) a new unit would have an accompanying article in WD with the stat line, maybe the special rules but probably not the points cost. I like it, I am not that interested in Dwarfs but I can look at the Irondrakes and have an idea of cost and also their role on the battlefield.

I just wish Blanchitsu was still in it.

Still, less than a pint in most pubs these days and it will last a bit longer.

shelfunit.
17-02-2014, 14:56
Still, less than a pint in most pubs these days and it will last a bit longer.

Only if you neck it.

TheFang
17-02-2014, 16:16
I meant earlier than that, from say, the 80's to 200's. Without thinking too hard there's:

2nd ed. WHFB army lists before Ravening Hordes, previews of army lists for 3rd, Realm of Chaos rules for 3rd, army list and unit rules previews for every 4th army book (Empire before 4th even came out) entire Chaos Dwarf army book for 4th, the same for 5th fantasy and 2nd 40k as models were replaced (ork bike) or added (eldar viper) and the extra models for Necromunda. Rogue trader of course might have been the main "culprit", with so much reprinted later in books. Even more recently we've had units added before a book update, with new models like the beastmen monsters (before they realised they could charge for them as ebooks) and slightly less recently like the wave serpent. There would be so many more examples of rules I've "paid for twice".

IIRC most of those were well in advance of the publication or gave rules for new models which were later collected into the army book/Compendium/Index Astartes or whatever. I can't think of any example of full rules being given for entries in an army book which appeared that month. Certainly not to the extent White Dwarf weekly seems to be doing. Like Dwarfs? Buy White Dwarf this week which contains a few pages of the same rules you just bought in your army book.....As does next week's WD, and probably the week after as well...

It's just no effort cut and paste filler.

Sephillion
17-02-2014, 21:09

I don’t know, I think it makes the previews more worthwhile. Before, it was “look at the pretty pictures you can see on our site and believe us when we tell you it’s good” – not much of a preview.

The difference with PP is that when they preview a new model, people can try it by proxy. They can build lists from these previews because new books don’t wholly redefine an army – what was before doesn’t change, while, say, a dwarf player has no idea how these models will fit, ultimately, in the army as a whole, since the whole army is getting an update.

Yet I still feel it makes the preview at least interesting to read, rather than bland descriptions of how cool and powerful the model is (yes, I know these still exist).

zoggin-eck
18-02-2014, 00:21
It's just no effort cut and paste filler.

Of course it is, no argument here. For me, it's only a problem when the rest of the magazine is lacking. Copy/paste rules would be fine if there was still something interesting to read or re-read later down the track.

We may well find out that people like this approach and buy the magazine each week? Time will tell.

Comrade Crash
19-02-2014, 19:09
Just a quick question; is WD weekly only available in GW stores / games stores, As I've not been able to pick up a copy in my usual places (supermarket or smiths) I can find visions ok though :rolleyes: ?
Thanks

lbecks
19-02-2014, 19:35
Just a quick question; is WD weekly only available in GW stores / games stores, As I've not been able to pick up a copy in my usual places (supermarket or smiths) I can find visions ok though :rolleyes: ?
Thanks

It's only in game stores and GW stores.

Comrade Crash
19-02-2014, 20:00
Ok thanks, although that seems a little short sighted, or I'm guessing it's aimed to get you to visit the shop once a week.

jimmyzimms
21-02-2014, 15:39
Yeah that's going to work out well here in Seattle (in the top 20 metros in the US by pop). They will close tomorrow the only store close to the central urban hub which happened to be a large bunker GW to boot. So if someone did want that rag they'd have to drive to the next city over or out to the edge of farm country to go to a store. Smart move guys :rolleyes:

Amazingly we've still got a healthy LGS scene here so I figure if someone was so inclined I to buy it I guess they might be able to get it there. Doesn't really effect me anyways but I find the Instore only decision puzzling for the North American market.

The Clairvoyant
21-02-2014, 15:58
It was rules for optional stuff or expansions not found anywhere else that people liked. They never used to extensively trail army book rules in such depth. New rules, not found anywhere else, good. Rules printed twice, bad.

I'd disagree with that. Having rules in WD for something out that month shows people who are unfamiliar to see how the rules work and decide if its the kind of army they'd like to start. When I got into playing fantasy, I had no idea what anything did. I saw the rules for Arkhan the Black in WD and that made me want an Undead army. I imagine it worked the same when they put Belegars rules in WD. People read them and decide to get a dwarf army and so then buy the book. If you're an existing player, I can see why you might be miffed about 'paying for the rules twice' but then it was your choice to buy the WD with them in!

Wintermute
21-02-2014, 19:38
We already have enough threads discussing WD so we don't need this one as well.

Thread Closed

Wintermute