PDA

View Full Version : Can I use dwarf long beard models as regular dwarf warriors?

AUN'SHI
14-02-2014, 13:45
Hello all,

Would it be ok to use the long beards models as regular warriors even in the tourney scene? What do you people think?

To be honest I love the long beard models and those dwarf models.... lets just say I'm not a fan of so let me know what you all think

Vexare
14-02-2014, 13:51
If you can find a way to make them look less elite more standard warrior, I can't see the problem (plus I completly follow you on that one)... As for tourneys.... It all depends on the tourney, some will see it as conversion, which is yay! While others will see it as proxys, which isnt allways yay :/ think it depends on how much you "convert".

dragonet111
14-02-2014, 13:51
Hi.

At a tournament I doubt they will let you "proxi" a unit with minis for another.

AUN'SHI
14-02-2014, 14:29
to bad they can't just update those dwarf warrior modles... they are on the poopy side :(

InstantKarma
14-02-2014, 14:37
I can't see any reason why not. Considering rules wise Longbeards are essentially Warriors with higher S & Ws and an extra special rule (so far as we know, wait till tomorrow to be sure :p) they have the same equipment options as warriors + an option for magic standard. Thats it really. I would think if you informed the tourney organizers & your opponent that you are using them as Warriors with Warrior rules, I can't see where a problem should lie with the exception of someone being a stickler.

An option might be if you are planning on running both Longbeards and Warriors is to paint the beards differently. Make your normal warriors have all the multicolored beards and give them long beards more grey to make them appear older.

biccat
14-02-2014, 14:38
That entirely depends on the tournament.

If you have a unit of longbeards and a unit of warriors, then you would have to have some way of easily distinguishing the two. If you only have warriors, then most tournament organizers would have no problem with your list.

As long as you are upfront with your opponent and not trying to deceive them, most people would not care.

BigbyWolf
14-02-2014, 14:42
All tourneys I've been to in the past have allowed suitable proxies, as long as the list submitted clearly states what they are and you keep your opponents informed, there should be no issues whatsoever.

Snake1311
14-02-2014, 14:49
You'll be fine. If you are fielding both, distinguish them with the paintjob (i.e. grey-white beards on the LB unit, more 'youthful' colours on the warriors). My army (using the old warrior models) has been fine for years.

SteveW
14-02-2014, 14:53
I don't see a problem with it at all.

As an aside. Am I the only person on warseer that likes the current dwarf warrior models?

Voss
14-02-2014, 15:07
I don't see a problem with it at all.

As an aside. Am I the only person on warseer that likes the current dwarf warrior models?
You aren't.

But back to the original question- I'd only be find with it if you aren't using any longbeards as longbeards. Having the same models from the same army represent two different things is generally not OK. No point in being inherently confusing. What would be better if you can find some head (beard?) swaps for them. Something so they don't just like like longbeards. It may sound pedantic, but I've had people pull shenanigans with this sort of thing in the past (oh, those imperial guard sentinels are actually armored sentinels... shame you just charged them!) so my tolerance for this sort of thing is rather low.

Spider-pope
14-02-2014, 16:45
You could try leaving off the shoulder pads on the models you will use as warriors. It's a little difference but it does alter their profile a bit. You could also try shortening the beards a bit if you have any ability with green stuff. Or just use Longbeards as the core of your army and ditch the warriors altogether.

Spiney Norman
14-02-2014, 16:56
You could try leaving off the shoulder pads on the models you will use as warriors. It's a little difference but it does alter their profile a bit. You could also try shortening the beards a bit if you have any ability with green stuff. Or just use Longbeards as the core of your army and ditch the warriors altogether.

An easier way to shorten the beards would be to assemble them with the hammerers heads and the longbeards weapons, leave of the shoulder pads and try and do something with the flat-top helms of the hammerers to make them look a bit different.

InstantKarma
14-02-2014, 17:08
Or just use Longbeards as the core of your army and ditch the warriors altogether.

^ This is what I am considering doing. Especially if I am spending 4$ per model, I'd like to keep things as elite as possible.

An easier way to shorten the beards would be to assemble them with the hammerers heads and the longbeards weapons, leave of the shoulder pads and try and do something with the flat-top helms of the hammerers to make them look a bit different.

I like this idea. I wonder if it'd be possible to simply nick the top of the helms off the Longbreards/Hammers and just swap them out and still have them look seemless. Guess only one way to find out.

Soulless
14-02-2014, 17:56
depends on circle of friends or tournament organiser totally - I would allow it if you dont field any longbeards as longbeards.

StygianBeach
14-02-2014, 18:03
You'll be fine. If you are fielding both, distinguish them with the paintjob (i.e. grey-white beards on the LB unit, more 'youthful' colours on the warriors). My army (using the old warrior models) has been fine for years.

Agree...

As long as you do not paint their beards grey, then they should be perfectly fine as Warriors.

yabbadabba
14-02-2014, 18:35
Tournaments make their own rules flr this sort of thing so asking here is not the right thing. Outside of tournaments, as long as you let your opponent know they would have to be a sod not to let you. Plus paint them how you want.

Montegue
14-02-2014, 18:56
I'll be using regular greT weapons as longbeards and converted warriors as Hammerers until I figure out a solid competitive list. I doubt anyone will give you guff about it.

Karak Norn Clansman
14-02-2014, 19:35
Yes.

They're better models, but not as good as the old Longbeards.

As such, the new plastic Longbeards should optimally be used as Warriors, with metal Longbeards as Longbeards.