PDA

View Full Version : Introducing WHF 8th: good house rules to introduce?

Dorack
14-02-2014, 22:52
I'm about to introduce WHF 8th edition to a group of 7th edition players. Besides checking the errata, is there any compilation of generally accepted good house rules to make the games more fun? To curb the most unbalanced aspects of the game?

Thanks for your input!

Brother Haephestus
15-02-2014, 00:17
Dice have to land flat on the table. Leaners and on the floor are re rolled.

We never use mysterious terrain unless we've made it part of a scenario.

Avoid Watchtower scenario until you're better resolved with the game.

No lord-level characters or special characters until you've gotten some games played.

Other than that I don't house-rule, and the sooner they find out about things like Dwellers Below the better. I've always adhered to the 'kick them into the deep end' method.

Voss
15-02-2014, 02:10
Introducing it? None. You don't sign on new tenants then start kicking holes in their walls.

Wargamejunkie
15-02-2014, 02:13
I agree. Just play lower level games and let them get a taste for it first.

Moss
15-02-2014, 03:44
The only house rules we use are in regards to Line of Sight. Some ideas:

We ditched True Line of Sight. It's in my opinion the worst change between 7th and 8th edition. Really? My guy can't hide behind here because I happen to have modeled him standing on a rock?

We kept the old rule about trees blocking line of sight unless you're within 2" of the edge.

If you're behind a hill, you're behind a hill. The enemy can't see you unless they're on a higher hill.

Dorack
15-02-2014, 04:32
They are not begginers to Warhammer. They simply never switched to 8th Edition. We would rather take advantage of the collective know-how of how to twaek the game to make it more fun that having to discover it by ourselves.

I thought there were some compiled rulesets for this. Maybe used in tournaments?

shakedown47
15-02-2014, 04:40
IMO just play the game as-is, and only use house rules for your terrain. I.E. woods templates block LOS, hills are infinitely tall, etc.

Pay very careful attention to how charges are declared and when and what order charge reactions are resolved in; we're now several years into the edition, and I still consistently see this played wrong. I'd also second Brother Haephestus' suggestion to ignore wacky terrain. One or two pieces isn't bad, but a whole battlefield of crazy terrain rules is not only confusing, it just seems kind of silly after a while. Enjoy! It's a huge upgrade from 7th, IMO.

Brother Haephestus
15-02-2014, 07:13
I thought there were some compiled rulesets for this. Maybe used in tournaments?

I don't believe tournaments use any sort of house rules outside of army composition in order to tone down some of the more powerful units. From what I've seen, if there are any house rules, and even comp, seems to vary tournament to tournament.

The only 'unfun' rule I have is mystical terrain. Maybe one or two pieces but generally I find stopping to roll terrain effects etc tedious. Other than that, 8th is pretty solid. Not perfect, but solid.

yabbadabba
15-02-2014, 08:11
You don't need to house rule mysterious terrain as it is not compulsory.

MasterSplinter
15-02-2014, 11:29
I would'nt introduce rule changes in the first games of a new edition with "new" players at all.
If you all feel very unconfident with some things you can still adjust them afterwards. I have some changes i like to do in my games:
-A Unit which is disrupted loses steadfast
-large targest disrupt units when fighting in their flank
-direct damage spells which take effect on each model of a unit cause one wound at most
-Woods block line of sight by their base in general when a unit from outside the wood wants to draw line of sight to a unit standing behind the wood, otherwise tlos applys.

WhispersofBlood
15-02-2014, 15:16
I would'nt introduce rule changes in the first games of a new edition with "new" players at all.
If you all feel very unconfident with some things you can still adjust them afterwards. I have some changes i like to do in my games:
-A Unit which is disrupted loses steadfast
-large targest disrupt units when fighting in their flank
-direct damage spells which take effect on each model of a unit cause one wound at most
-Woods block line of sight by their base in general when a unit from outside the wood wants to draw line of sight to a unit standing behind the wood, otherwise tlos applys.

I never understand this one. Is it just for characters, because it seems silly for rank and file?

MasterSplinter
15-02-2014, 16:01
Yes, exactly. Main reason for that is that you dont lose your general, bsb, and half of a unit to, say, dwellers. On the otherhand it would protect deathstar building, but as it seems to me it is not played anymore that often it has not that much of an impact on that.
IMO Many no6 spells are just to powerfull.