PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on my Minotaurs

Grand Master Azrael
15-02-2014, 04:55
Hey guys,
I've started a Minotaurs army (have one Tactical Squad) but need advice on what to get.

Camman1984
15-02-2014, 09:10
What do you like? What kind of army would you enjoy playing? It would be easier to advise knowing that really.

Get the forgeworld character models though, they are great sculpts even if you dont field them. And their chaptermaster is required for the preferred enemy space marine trait they are known for.

Grand Master Azrael
15-02-2014, 10:48
ik about all that (I have Imperial Armour 12 and have read 10) but i'm thinking Vehicles and Veterans. I'm considering eventually getting a Land Raider AND some Vanguard Veterans

Camman1984
15-02-2014, 12:36
Anything deepstriking would be pretty nasty as you get a better charge range while in the enemy deployment zone iirc. Maybe a squad of hammernators to accompany the CM?

An honour guard led by the chaplain special character would also be nice if you have the points. Either pop them in a crusader an charge forward or drop pod them, your other tanks can try and draw fire from the raider but if the enemy knows whats inside?

Those units give you a really nasty combat base to throw at the enemy. Vanguards are great, but can be squishy so unless they are running a tank character or inside a vehicle, keep them cheapish and use them as a counter assault unit to protect your vehicles.

Menthak
16-02-2014, 00:50
Hey guys,
I've started a Minotaurs army (have one Tactical Squad) but need advice on what to get.

I'm assuming you've got a SM army already? In which case, the same things you'd get in that, but painted up golden and with a few forgeworld special characters in there.

Grand Master Azrael
16-02-2014, 01:00
I was also thinking of getting some Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields to accompany Asterion Moloc. I'm thinking I'll use Ancient Greek Hoplite style shields as Storm Shields instead of the ones provided as they are based on Ancient Greece. I don't know whether to give Ivanus Enkomi (the Reclusiarch) a Jump pack and put him with the Vanguard Veterans (as he does have the option of wither Void Hardened Armour or a Jump Pack) or to put him in a Storm Eagle (Forge World unit) and deploy him with a Command Squad. Third option would be to put him with Vanguard Veterans inside a Storm Eagle (If it's legal).

Navar
16-02-2014, 01:08
I would say a Roc Pattern Storm Eagle.

Or maybe 2.

Grand Master Azrael
16-02-2014, 02:01
I would say a Roc Pattern Storm Eagle.

Or maybe 2.

That would be a cool idea, but could you transport Vanguard Veterans with JumpPacks in it?

wait sorry you could because the Roc's transport capacity is 14

Do you think that I could get away with naming a Captain Leonidas (After the Spartan king)?

Camman1984
16-02-2014, 07:53
You could get away with that yeah, i am sure you could find a suitable shouting goattee head :) . If you havent been there already, check out scribor miniatures for the SF spartan warriors or just for their shields http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=891

Grand Master Azrael
16-02-2014, 10:12
I'm thinking of giving Captain Leonidas a Helmet with a crest (probably from Forge World), having him holding a sword in one hand in a sweeping motion and holding a shield in the other.I would also give him a cloak.

Minotaurs are SO much fun to paint :)

You could get away with that yeah, i am sure you could find a suitable shouting goattee head :) . If you havent been there already, check out scribor miniatures for the SF spartan warriors or just for their shields http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=891

Nice looking and Army Appropriate shields. As the Charcharadons are nicknamed space sharks, Minotaurs should be nicknamed Space Spartans

Navar
17-02-2014, 15:08
That would be a cool idea, but could you transport Vanguard Veterans with JumpPacks in it?

I THINK the answer is no.

The rules for transports say:
Only Infantry models can embark upon Transports (this does not include Jump or Jet Pack Infantry), unless specifically stated otherwise. Emphasis mine.

And, I can't find anywhere in the rules that would explicitly allow Jump Infantry to embark on a Storm Eagle.

I am about 95% Certain that Vanguard Vets with jump packs become "Jump Infantry" as well.

Camman1984
17-02-2014, 16:45
Do you know how you are painting them? I have seen several different methods and the results very greatly in effectiveness.

Kiarr
17-02-2014, 16:49
Depends how much money you have :)
Chapter master and chaplain pack is well worth getting and for my army I made sure I had the FW upgrade bundle :
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine_Chapter_Upgrade_Bundles/MINOTAURS_CHAPTER_UPGRADE_BUNDLE.html

This gives you a lot of customisation for the minotaurs

Normal troop wise Chapter master is noted for leading the terminators into battle so your assault squad idea is a good one (FW shoulder pads look good on that unit) and I used the same shields for my force if you can afford it I would imagine that a full 10 man squad in a Spartan would be how Asterion would roll :)

A drop pod with sternguard is useful for those big threats out there and would suggest getting at least one box of devs and possibly use another tactical box with the heavy weapons you don't use initially as you can then have options for the dev squad and also use other heavy weapons for the tactical squads (one thing you can do with the Minotaurs is to put chevrons (V) on the shoulder pads instead of the unit markings as these denote big kills and you can swap them out into the tac squads if you want to)

some kind of rhino variant is also useful generally if not for use as a transport they are good to block things LOS with don't buy the rhino kits but get the razorback kits and learn to magnetise (actually you don't actually need to use magnets for that particular kit :)

The other thing that is useful is a ageis defence line they can be very useful!

Although first thing I would buy is another Tac squad as they are very flexible and you will almost always field at least 2 even in low points games

I don't worry about transports for jump troops too much with minotaurs as you get to roll 2 dice and pick the best on the run moves anyway (crusader) so as long as you don't risk it too much they can move between cover pretty fast!

starlight
17-02-2014, 17:49
Please use the Edit function instead of creating multiple Posts.

starlight
Warseer Staff

Grand Master Azrael
18-02-2014, 09:43
Maybe a Damocles? I'm painting them Dwarf Bronze and am using Badab Black as a wash. Shading with dwarf bronze mixed with chaos black. Eyes are scab red. Overall an easy paint scheme. Oh, and weapons are Scab red with Mechrite red highlight and secondary colour of Bleached bone. Leadbelcher used on joints in armour (e.g. back of legs).

Kiarr
18-02-2014, 12:30
Damocles is a good pick especially if your using fliers in reserve such as storm eagles

Strangely I was painting a Damocles last night for my minotaurs :)

Grand Master Azrael
19-02-2014, 05:59
Damocles is a good pick especially if your using fliers in reserve such as storm eagles

Strangely I was painting a Damocles last night for my minotaurs :)

Very cool, Brother Minotaur :)
If I couple it with Moloc that's 2 orbital Bombardments

Baaltor
19-02-2014, 08:44
Advice on minotaurs? If you promise to sacrifice something, do it, the gods aren't ones to forgive. Do not trust your wife with bulls when she asks for privacy. Labyrinths work, but you'll need to sacrifice some kids; bring string into them too.

Grand Master Azrael
20-02-2014, 02:04
Should I start a Project log for my first squad?

Baaltor
20-02-2014, 03:43
Should I start a Project log for my first squad?

Only if you continue doing it, and make certain you post a link in your sig. or something.

Also don't call it a plog.

Grand Master Azrael
21-02-2014, 10:11
Hey guys,
I just have a query for Minotaurs experts out there: Do Minotaurs Sergeants have red Shoulder Pads?
Like, I ask this because the 1st Company all seem to have red Shoulder pads but i can only find one image of a sergeant In the fall of Orpheus book not of the 1st company and he has red shoulder pads. However, In the Badab war part 2 book a Sergeant doesn't have red shoulder pads. Please reply so that I can happily paint my Tactical Squad's Veteran Sergeant.

Kiarr
21-02-2014, 11:24
Markings on Minotaurs are an interesting topic after talking to Alan who really owns the minotaurs told me to go with what you feel like - the red marking are usually a sign of being a vetran of some kind - highly likely a vet sarge will have them but so will most of the vanguard etc the more red the more that the marine will have been through
Chevrons tend to be kill markings the bigger the chevron the more impressive the kill (aka you will probably not use a chevron if you kill 100,000 orks but you will for taking down a marine captain (the Minotaurs think that orks are so far beneath them that they are hardly worth noting unless you were to take out something like a stompa single handedly!)

Grand Master Azrael
21-02-2014, 22:12
Markings on Minotaurs are an interesting topic after talking to Alan who really owns the minotaurs told me to go with what you feel like - the red marking are usually a sign of being a vetran of some kind - highly likely a vet sarge will have them but so will most of the vanguard etc the more red the more that the marine will have been through
Chevrons tend to be kill markings the bigger the chevron the more impressive the kill (aka you will probably not use a chevron if you kill 100,000 orks but you will for taking down a marine captain (the Minotaurs think that orks are so far beneath them that they are hardly worth noting unless you were to take out something like a stompa single handedly!)

Thanks. I'll probably use the Red for 1st Company units plus any command Squads. I'll probably just paint my Sergeant's shoulder Pads Bronze. Alan Bligh seems like a cool person-If you see him again send him my Regards.

On a different topic, I can't help but notice that on Forge World's 2013 Fall Of Orpheus Board there are some Minotaurs. Asterion Moloc is leading Assault Terminators and it would appear that Ivanus Enkomi is leading Sternguard Veterans. Some of the Sternguard have crests on their helmets as well as cloaks. I was wondering whether I should get some Sternguard and do them like that.

Kiarr
24-02-2014, 12:04
Moloc is known to mostly lead the 1st company into battle
Personally I have put crests on anyone that is sarge upwards as a mark of command with captain upwards having the sideways crests (like moloc)
Any one who is a vet can use a cloak in my opinion (appart from obiously jump pack marines!)
Chaplains and libbys are marked anyway by their colour so they arent seem as part of the command structure so is up to them

Grand Master Azrael
25-02-2014, 07:48
I've decided that I'll use Ivanus Enkomi as my Warlord for games of under 1500 points and for games of over Asterion Moloc instead. In games of Apocalypse I'm likely to use both Heroes, probably with Moloc leading Assault Terminaturs and Enkomi leading Sternguard Veterans

Kiarr
25-02-2014, 11:42
Dont forget you can also have ekomi with a jetpack for free as well :)

Personally I am going to get a librarian for smaller games may well adapt the FW red scorpions one with the honour guard as they look great

Grand Master Azrael
26-02-2014, 07:44
Dont forget you can also have ekomi with a jetpack for free as well :)

Personally I am going to get a librarian for smaller games may well adapt the FW red scorpions one with the honour guard as they look great
I'm also considering a Librarian. I might get the Plastic GW one that came out at the same time as the new Space Marine Codex but give him a Helmet (Mk7) and remove the cyber Cherub. I might also use some Forge World Minotaurs Etched Brass to make him look the part.