PDA

View Full Version : Best Points Value To Try Out/Learn WHFB?

dangermouse425
15-02-2014, 18:05
Hi all,

Veteran 40k player interested in trying out WHFB here.

It was suggested to me that 800pts games, with D3 magic generation rather than D6 (so Magic doesn't imbalance the game so much as such a low points level), would be a good place to start.

I'm thinking of starting with Tomb Kings or Khorne Chaos Daemons.

What are your thoughts on the best way to dip one's toes into the pool of WHFB?

SteveW
15-02-2014, 18:07
Play by the rules unmodified to get an idea of how the game plays. If you start wrong, it will always yield bad results.

dutchwarlord
15-02-2014, 18:21
You can even start at 600 pts. I usually play 600-1000 pts games as they do not take a lot of time.
Some limit on magic is not a bad idea, only allowing hero-lvl casters usually is enough.

dangermouse425
15-02-2014, 18:27
Play by the rules unmodified to get an idea of how the game plays. If you start wrong, it will always yield bad results.

Do you not think Wizards with D6 magic generation would be too powerful at 800pts?

snottlebocket
15-02-2014, 19:59
Do you not think Wizards with D6 magic generation would be too powerful at 800pts?

Wizards tend to be (too) powerful at any level. Warhammer is not a balanced game, if you're playing for fun, best make some agreements with your friends to make sure you're playing on the same level.

Usually we just make some vague allusions as to what we'll be playing. Nobody wants to go magic light on the day their friend decided to bring 8 levels of magic or vice versa.

If you want something more concrete, rather than changing the rules, make agreements on what's acceptable. d3 powerdice is kinda weird, just saying let's bring no more than 1 lv of magic per 500 points doesn't bend the rules quite as much.

SpanielBear
15-02-2014, 20:02
Seconded, 500-800 points are excellent small games. About the only restrictions I'd put in would be hero-level casters only and no "6th spells". No need to play around with power dice, doing so gives an unrealistic impression of what magic can do. Have fun!

Yowzo
15-02-2014, 20:31

As someone who's been in several 750pt leagues for about two years, it's not that much about powerful but just too random.

2d6 power dice when most armies can only realistically field a lv2 makes people go for 6 dice casting even more often than in higher point games. This wins you games or ends in fatal miscasts all too often, so 2d3 is usually enough for a more tactical approach to small games.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

dangermouse425
16-02-2014, 06:29
So, "6th spells" are the most powerful spells at the top of the magic table when you roll a six?

800pts
Hero level casters only
No more than 2 x Level 1s or 1 x Level 2
No "6th Spells"
Magic dice = D6 as usual?

^ Does that sound good as a guideline for a group to learn WHFB in a friendly and relaxed environment?

Lord Solar Plexus
16-02-2014, 08:32
Sounds pretty cool to me. I have not found magic to be too powerful really, not even in small games, and I play a lot of 750-1k games. Myself, I often even play without a wizard. Had two games a fortnight ago, against HE with an L3 and VC with an L4 (1k). I had taken Empire with a Warrior Priest (so not completely without magic but no wizard) and Khorne WoC, and never thought magic was a problem.

It can happen that one blows a hole in the enemy army but that goes for combat and shooting too. If you find it is too mean or insurmountable, just change it. Capping wizards at L2 works; for winds of magic 2d3 is good.

#6 spells aren't necessarily the most powerful but tendentially. Heaven's #6 for example is best against MSU lists; the # 5 (Comet) is probably more intimidating. Same with Beasts, the Transformation isn't very popular.

Maclav
16-02-2014, 13:05
I vote 2d3. Otherwise you often end up with 2 spells to cast, 11 pp dice vs 5 DD dice. You are left with 5-6 dicing a spell just to draw enough DD dice to even have a chance to cast your second spell. I recently played a 750pt game where over the course of the 3 turns it took me to table him, there were 4 boxcars and both mages managed to kill themselves. Until you start bringing 4+ things to cast 2d6 is too much.