PDA

View Full Version : What other Knights / EPIC units would you like to see?

Poseidal
15-02-2014, 21:14
With the Knight now appearing, what would you want to see?

The Exodite knights could return, but with unique Tetrapod designs rather than the two-leg ones the Craftworlds use. I would probably like them as a cross between the EPIC originals, the Wraithknight and these:

What would you see from other races / factions too? Maybe some that are not completely part of a current army (like the Knights / Exodites) too.

Hrw-Amen
15-02-2014, 21:31
Something Orky, like the F Megadread but with more options and maybe a tad taller, or bulkier.

Beppo1234
15-02-2014, 21:41
a proper gargant would be cool... or I'm sure there's a gotta be a simple way to take three stompas and turn it into a gargant. What things from epic haven't had a 40k revival, or a near adaptation at this point?

bork da basher
15-02-2014, 21:51
i'd love to see some god specific daemon engines so we at least have one for each god, we already have the lord of skulls.

Bob Arctor
15-02-2014, 21:56
I'm surprised with all the Guard super-heavies they have done (including completely new ones) that they haven't done a Stormhammer (the one that replaced the Baneblade turret with 2 smaller turrets, each featuring twin Battlecannons). I can't imagine it would be that hard for FW to do, but for some reason they have shied away from it.

A Leviathan would be cool for Imperials, as would the Termite and Mole tunnelling vehicles. I think the Hellbore and Capitol Imperials might be a bit big. Same goes for Ordinatus that are a lot longer and taller than Baneblades.

For non-Imperial:

Orks: Slasher Gargant, Mekboy vehicles, Weirdboy Battlewagon
Eldar: Warlock Titan conversion for the Phantom
Chaos: Slaanesh Knights and Titans, Silver Towers, Firelords, Banelords (if doing Imperial Warlord too), Doomblaster, Cannon of Khorne, Contagion Engines.
Tyranids: Dominatrix, Dactylus

Erazmus_M_Wattle
15-02-2014, 22:01
The bright-stallions would be cool. And maybe the towering destroyers.

I'm not sure about other factions. I don't remember any of the other epic units really feeling all that special to me. The Orks had the gargants. Which were awesome, but all the vehicles were a bit samey. Imperial guard are pretty sorted. Tyranids are pretty sorted too.

The chaos epic units were all pretty cool but aside from The Lord of Skulls which is a modernised Lord of Battle I'm not sure how they could do them. They'd need to be pretty thoroughly reimagined these days. The Nurgle contagion and plague catapult would need a lot of redesigning because I must say I didn't like the, very much. The Silver towers of tzeentch could be good but the concept of a tower on a floating rock could be pretty boring.

The slaaneshi knights and scout titans on the other hand could be amazing.

But then I've always been a total sucker for huge Stompy robots. Adeptus Titanicus was my first box game ever. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zothos
15-02-2014, 22:03
All the units. For Epic.

You know. In Epic scale. Because they are for Epic...

leopard
15-02-2014, 22:12
Termites and Moles, perhaps a deathwind drop pod or support pod that work like the epic ones did.

Capitol Imperialis, perhaps with a 6'x4' table mounted on its roof to play the actual game on (and the inside as a figure case?)

Hellbore?

Bob Arctor
15-02-2014, 22:27
leopard, FW already do the Deathwind pods in case you weren't aware already.:)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Support/DEATHSTORM-DROP-POD-WITH-MISSILE-LAUNCHERS.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Support/DEATHSTORM-DROP-POD-WITH-ASSAULT-CANNONS.html

Cpt. Pain
15-02-2014, 23:04
I think an assortment of Chimera based medium tanks could be good, like the Chimerax, and chimeradon or whatever they were called, the ones with quad auto cannons, battle cannons etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsonov
15-02-2014, 23:09
Can't believe no one has mentioned the Squat Land Train yet!

AndrewGPaul
15-02-2014, 23:12
All the Ork stuff short of Gargants is really already there. The plastic Stompa is pushing the boundary between Stompa and Mekboy Gargant, while the Mega-Dread is almost a small stompa. Speedstas would be cool to see, I suppose.

Between the Exocrine and the Trygon, and Forge World's Harridan, the Tyranid vehicles are making an appearance. A Dominatrix next?

All in all, I'm on two minds. The big 28mm models look really cool, and I'll be getting a Knight when it comes out, but I think they work better in Epic, where there's room to field a dozen of them, and still have room to move around properly.

Langdon
15-02-2014, 23:15
Epic 40k redone.

I dont want bigger versions.. I want the support the game had to come back.

Beppo1234
15-02-2014, 23:19
Epic 40k redone.

I dont want bigger versions.. I want the support the game had to come back.

no need to support epic anymore for obvious reasons. As always, the biggest problem for me is storage space... I was just getting my mini collection under control, but vehicles have always been an additional storage problem, and now that they are getting bigger, things are getting even more complicated.

leopard
15-02-2014, 23:23
leopard, FW already do the Deathwind pods in case you weren't aware already.:)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Support/DEATHSTORM-DROP-POD-WITH-MISSILE-LAUNCHERS.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Support/DEATHSTORM-DROP-POD-WITH-ASSAULT-CANNONS.html

I wasn't.. many thanks :-)

TheBearminator
16-02-2014, 00:00
Some thing big got the always forgotten Dark Eldar?

Menthak
16-02-2014, 00:48
I think an assortment of Chimera based medium tanks could be good, like the Chimerax, and chimeradon or whatever they were called, the ones with quad auto cannons, battle cannons etc.

Chimedon, the Matilda with an A27 turret of the 40k world, I wouldn't mind seeing it in a friendly game, but if you give a tourney scene a cheap source of battlecannons I can tell you that the forum is going to blow up like nobodies buisness

Langdon
16-02-2014, 01:08
Chimedon, the Matilda with an A22 turret of the 40k world, I wouldn't mind seeing it in a friendly game, but if you give a tourney scene a cheap source of battlecannons I can tell you that the forum is going to blow up like nobodies buisness
As opposed to how it does any other time something comes out, you mean?

a tad naive you are

Menthak
16-02-2014, 01:31
As opposed to how it does any other time something comes out, you mean?

a tad naive you are

No, I'm not, but if I saw a fire in a house, I wouldn't throw more fuel on it.

Langdon
16-02-2014, 01:35
No, I'm not, but if I saw a fire in a house, I wouldn't throw more fuel on it.
No you seem the type to let it burn instead of calling for help, which is worse than adding a catalyst.

Cpt. Pain
16-02-2014, 01:50
Chimedon, the Matilda with an A27 turret of the 40k world, I wouldn't mind seeing it in a friendly game, but if you give a tourney scene a cheap source of battlecannons I can tell you that the forum is going to blow up like nobodies buisness

Who said it has to be 'cheap'? For that matter, LRBT are already cheap sources of Battlecannons, and a vehicle heavy IG list can have 9 of them.

Menthak
16-02-2014, 02:40
No you seem the type to let it burn instead of calling for help

Bingo, it's not my house.

Who said it has to be 'cheap'? For that matter, LRBT are already cheap sources of Battlecannons, and a vehicle heavy IG list can have 9 of them.

Alright, if a Leman russ is cheap and mounts a battlecannon, then a Chimera that mounts a battlecannon will be cheaper, making it a cheap choice. Do you follow?

Cpt. Pain
16-02-2014, 02:49
Bingo,it's not my house.

Alright, if a Leman russ is cheap and mounts a battlecannon, then a Chimera that mounts a battlecannon will be cheaper, making it a cheap choice. Do you follow?

Why would it be? Why can't GW make the points roughly similar? With the chimera chassis comes more mobility compared to the LR, so it's not fighting with one foot in a bucket. The LR has increased armour but crippling top speed, the chimedon would have similar armour to the Hellhound, but higher top speed.

Menthak
16-02-2014, 03:12
Why would it be? Why can't GW make the points roughly similar? With the chimera chassis comes more mobility compared to the LR, so it's not fighting with one foot in a bucket. The LR has increased armour but crippling top speed, the chimedon would have similar armour to the Hellhound, but higher top speed.

Okay sure, if they DO happen to introduce the Chimeradon and they DO make it the same points of a Russ, then no-one will use them, not even for flavour.

Cpt. Pain
16-02-2014, 03:30
Okay sure, if they DO happen to introduce the Chimeradon and they DO make it the same points of a Russ, then no-one will use them, not even for flavour.

So, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't? It's either over powered because it's cheaper than a Russ, or useless because it's the same cost?

Menthak
16-02-2014, 03:33
So, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't? It's either over powered because it's cheaper than a Russ, or useless because it's the same cost?

Bingo. WFTWG

Cpt. Pain
16-02-2014, 04:09
Seems like a very narrow minded view for a suggestions thread. I don't see chimera based epic vehicles being any worse than any other epic unit.

Wftwg?

Menthak
16-02-2014, 04:31
Seems like a very narrow minded view for a suggestions thread. I don't see chimera based epic vehicles being any worse than any other epic unit.

I do.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, simply that it wouldn't work competitively, and that's not my fault.

Wftwg?

Words for the Word god. It's basically just a way of fulfilling the letter quota on a post without having to think of more to say.

Cpt. Pain
16-02-2014, 07:21
I do.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, simply that it wouldn't work competitively, and that's not my fault.

Words for the Word god. It's basically just a way of fulfilling the letter quota on a post without having to think of more to say.

Just seemed odd in a wishlisting thread in which various forms of Titan, gargants, and bio-titans are mentioned, you singled out the "chimera with a Battlecannon" as outrageous.

But yea, anyway, I don't see a real issue with adding in the chimera variants, hell, even replacing the Battlecannon with a conqueror if it's so outrageous. It seems like an interesting seem of vehicles to flesh out the IG battle tanks with.

Commotionpotion
16-02-2014, 10:12
Many moons ago, in 4th Edition, I trialled the idea of the Epic Chimera variants with my Guard - I still have a Chimerax, in fact.

The rules of thumb I adopted for them were these;

- Transport capacity 6
- Only useable by Command Sections, Veteran and Stormtrooper units (including Grenadier Troops Stormies as was).

Weaponwise, the Chimerro mounted a twin-linked missile launcher (which these days I'd probably give Skyfire - they were meant to be guided missiles).

The Chimerax simply had 2 twin-linked Autocannon (again, these days I'd probably cut down the range to 24" to stop it clashing with the Exterminator too much).

Finally, the Chimedon halved the range on the Battlecannon and dropped to S6 - a smaller weapon for a lighter hull.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably limit them to just Command Sections and Stormies, but as I recall they worked quite well without being overcooked, and provided some attractive variation to a mechanised company.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk

Szalik
16-02-2014, 11:14
With the Knight now appearing, what would you want to see?

The Exodite knights could return, but with unique Tetrapod designs rather than the two-leg ones the Craftworlds use. I would probably like them as a cross between the EPIC originals, the Wraithknight and these:

What would you see from other races / factions too? Maybe some that are not completely part of a current army (like the Knights / Exodites) too.

Now I have probably seen everything in 40k. Is it shooting flames from its rear hatch ??? I knew they would one day merge My Little Pony into 40k...

I would not like to see it on the "usual" 40k battlefield. To be honest, I dislike those new walkers like Dreadknight, or this new Knight. Sure, some of them were in the 40k fluff since the beginning, but they do not sit with me well aesthetically. Dreadnoughts on the other hand...

Another thing is that, those units are bigger and bigger. For me the reasonable size of a 40k vehicle is capped at Baneblade - and a lot of flyers are more or less that size. Anything bigger or higher (for a land vehicle) is too big for an usual 28mm heroic scale 40k game.

But if GW and FW is going to go this way, then I would like to see more non walker huge vehicles for xenos (some sort of Jabba's yacht vehicle for Dark eldar maybe ?) and huge auxiliary vehicles for Imperials (or even some sort of ancient anti grav barge based on pre dreadnought era battleships).

Shibboleth
16-02-2014, 11:23
We need a Leviathan.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
16-02-2014, 11:24
Or a Hellbore!

Poseidal
16-02-2014, 11:58
Szalic, centaur tetrapods have been around since early days of epic (maybe when it was space marine)

MajorWesJanson
16-02-2014, 13:34
Chaos needs the other god specific warmachines- give Slaanesh the Hellknight variants. Give Tzeentch a Silver tower about the size of the Necron Tesseract vault. Give Nurgle a Plague tower.
Tau could use the Tigershark (or a similar plane) in plastic.
Dark Eldar could use a sail barge thing, a superheavy AV13 or 14 skimmer transport with room for like 40 models
Nids could use the Heriodule in plastic, and give them S:D close combat ability.

Starchild
17-02-2014, 04:25
i'd love to see some god specific daemon engines so we at least have one for each god, we already have the lord of skulls.

This. We need the Slaaneshi scout titans (Questor and Subjugator), and the Slaaneshi knights (Hell Knights, Hell Scourges, and Hell Striders) to counter the Imperial Knights, Warhounds, Eldar Wraithknights, Revenants, etc.

The Heldrake is really just the Tzeentch Doomwing by another name, even keeping the flame-based weapon from Epic, and the Fire Lord would be too big for a standard table. I'm seconding MajorWes on the Silver Tower. That leaves the Khorne and Nurgle daemon engines, with lots to choose from for Khorne.

I consider it a travesty that GW never got around to the Khorne daemon engines in 40k scale, for so many years! The Lord of Skulls [Battles] is a good start but we really need a couple of dual-build kits to cover at least four options from the Tower of Skulls, Doomblaster, Blood Reaper, Brass Scorpion, Deathdealer, Cauldron of Blood, and Cannon of Khorne. These are the most common type of daemon engine to be encountered since Khorne always has the biggest and most actively engaged armies.

For Nurgle it would awesome to see the Plague Tower for Apocalypse and the Contagion catapults for regular games.

When GW stupidly dropped most of these daemon engines from Epic, Chaos lost most of its character, which it finally now is getting back, slowly, as they revisit old models in 40k scale.

edit- I had this model a long time ago!

Greyhound
17-02-2014, 04:39
Ork braincrushas... They had the range and the impact capable of tearing a landraider!

Cpt. Pain
17-02-2014, 05:42
Many moons ago, in 4th Edition, I trialled the idea of the Epic Chimera variants with my Guard - I still have a Chimerax, in fact.

The rules of thumb I adopted for them were these;

- Transport capacity 6
- Only useable by Command Sections, Veteran and Stormtrooper units (including Grenadier Troops Stormies as was).

Weaponwise, the Chimerro mounted a twin-linked missile launcher (which these days I'd probably give Skyfire - they were meant to be guided missiles).

The Chimerax simply had 2 twin-linked Autocannon (again, these days I'd probably cut down the range to 24" to stop it clashing with the Exterminator too much).

Finally, the Chimedon halved the range on the Battlecannon and dropped to S6 - a smaller weapon for a lighter hull.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably limit them to just Command Sections and Stormies, but as I recall they worked quite well without being overcooked, and provided some attractive variation to a mechanised company.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk

Nice. My idea for implementation was to drop the troop capacity all together and then boost the side armour in line with hellhounds/devil dogs/Bane Wolf, so it's a proper medium tank.

Kiarr
17-02-2014, 14:25
mek gargants smaller than a great gargant but would still be a lot of fun!

Beppo1234
17-02-2014, 17:21
not from epic... but I still want FW/GW to produce the conversion bits to make the nurgle baneblade!

Leftenant Gashrog
17-02-2014, 17:59
The Lord of Skulls [Battles] is a good start but we really need a couple of dual-build kits to cover at least four options from the Tower of Skulls, Doomblaster, Blood Reaper, Brass Scorpion, Deathdealer, Cauldron of Blood, and Cannon of Khorne.

The Lord of Skulls is a slightly upscaled Deathdealer with different weapon options, a Lord of Battles would be twice the size.

MajorWesJanson
17-02-2014, 18:15
The Lord of Skulls is a slightly upscaled Deathdealer with different weapon options, a Lord of Battles would be twice the size.

GW merged the two designs. Just like how the plastic Stompa kit is really a Supa-stompa/mekboy gargant, and stompas were originally between leman ruses and Imperial Knights in size.

Camman1984
17-02-2014, 18:16
I want to see some proper bombers and rules for bombing runs in 40k, i know we have ground attack craft and the tau have an aircraft called a bomber, but i would like to see things like the marauder and other dropping bombs as they cruise across the battlefield.

I would also like strategums ported into 40k to allow tactical maneuvers and tricks.

The ork pulse rokkit was one of my favourite ork items, so bring them in.

TheFang
17-02-2014, 18:30
I was surprised the Doomblaster wasn't an option on the Lord of Skulls. Wouldn't take much to convert the tractor unit into a Doomblaster or Cauldron of Blood. Forgeworld? I'm looking at you.
Some thing big got the always forgotten Dark Eldar?Big wouldn't fit through a webway portal.

Beppo1234
17-02-2014, 18:38
I was surprised the Doomblaster wasn't an option on the Lord of Skulls. Wouldn't take much to convert the tractor unit into a Doomblaster or Cauldron of Blood. Forgeworld? I'm looking at you.Big wouldn't fit through a webway portal.

I suspect we'll be seeing that hull in the future. Kind of too cool to be a one time thing.

Avian
17-02-2014, 18:40
I wish they'd bring in a tank based on the old Wave Serpent design, the one that looked like a ship.

Navar
17-02-2014, 19:02
not from epic... but I still want FW/GW to produce the conversion bits to make the nurgle baneblade!

I agree. This is needed and a Tower of Nurgle.

Blood and Skulls produces an AWESOME Nurgle baneblade barrel IIRC.

Voss
17-02-2014, 19:16
Weirdboy towers.
Also, more toys for chaos. I don't really care if they do something for each god or take the sane approach and do undivided stuff, but there are a lot of ideas to mine.

DoctorTom
17-02-2014, 20:07
A Land Train would be nice, but I don't see them doing that without bringing back those-who-can-not-be-named. Unless they just retcon them to be Imperial land trains. The beauty for GW there is that they could make a multikit that could do an engine or a car in the land train, and have people buy multiple boxes just to fill the land train out. It would probably need special rules about not having to be fully on the board when it comes on if you bring it in from reserves if you have a multiple car land train.

MajorWesJanson
17-02-2014, 20:12
I wish they'd bring in a tank based on the old Wave Serpent design, the one that looked like a ship.

Dark Eldar took over that aesthetic.

Weirdboy towers.
Also, more toys for chaos. I don't really care if they do something for each good or take the sane approach and do undivided stuff, but there are a lot of ideas to mine.

I wish FW had made (or will make in the future) the weirdboy tower piece designed to fit on the plastic battlewagon. The concept art for it looked so much better than the lifta-droppa wagon that we got instead.

Setesh
17-02-2014, 21:43
slaanesh subjugator and knights

dangerboyjim
17-02-2014, 22:07
Another vote for the Land Train!

Such a cool concept, wouldn't really work in games outside of apocalypse level, it would be like 4-7 landraiders coming at you in a conga line.

I still want IG beastmen and ork cyboars as well. As well as penal legion with bombs strapped to their backs. Doing time really meant something in those days.

Wolf Lord Balrog
18-02-2014, 04:18
I'm gonna chime in with my vote for 'None'. I'd be all for it if they brought back Epic itself, I'd buy a starter and at least two whole armies. But I've had quite enough of giant 40k-scale models.

Hawkkf
18-02-2014, 04:43
I have to vote for a Leviathan. It would almost certainly have to be FW that makes it, but I have always wanted one but do not have the skills to scratch build one or convince my friends to play with the rules pieced together by converting epic. It wouldnt be much different on the tabletop from a macrocannon sitting on a couple of baneblades in effectiveness, but it would be an awe inspiring centrepiece. If the epic model was updated with as much success as the knight titan, it would be well.. epic.

Voss
18-02-2014, 13:57
I'm gonna chime in with my vote for 'None'. I'd be all for it if they brought back Epic itself, I'd buy a starter and at least two whole armies. But I've had quite enough of giant 40k-scale models.

I wouldn't object to this either. I'd much rather have a dedicated large battle system at an appropriate scale than continue with a skirmish game labouring over the load of overly-large scale battles (model count more than model size, though).