PDA

View Full Version : Noobie Brettonian 2000 list

Cryptkeeper
11-06-2006, 20:28
Here is my amateur brettonian list. I am content with nurgle so here is my new list of brettonia:

Damsel lv.2 magic & dispel scroll:130 pts

Standard Bearer:74 pts

Paladin: Shield,lance,barded warhorse 80pts

16 Peasant bowmen with defensive stakes: 96 points

16 Peasant bowmen with defensive stakes: 96 points

20 Men-at-arms with pole arms and light armour and shields muscian & standard: 115pts

20 Men-at-arms with pole arms and light armour and shields muscian & standard: 115pts

9 Knights of the realm; champ,musician and standard:240pts

1 Trebchent or however you spell it. 90pts

I may eventually want a unit of questing knights but not really at the moment. I do however want the pegasus knights and in units of 3 with full command. But seeing as how i havent but their book or made a list on army builder i cant tell stuff like this right now. But if anyone knows how much a unit of 3 pegasus knights with a full command would be would you please post it.Same for a unit of 6 grail knights. But until then i leave off with:

1516 points of brettonia. I know i cant have much more but remember i am working off numbers on sites. (points) but can i get some experienced brettonian player to help me. thanx.

-Chris

Donga666
12-06-2006, 08:18
My advice comes with a disclamer: It probably will be contradicted by some of the later posters so take it with a pinch of salt.

For your M@A's to be effective you really nead a knight regiment or character near by to stop them running at the first loud noise! If you plan to field them up them to 25 each and have just one regiment of 20 archers (they have a vague chance of holding for more than one turn of combat). Stich a paladin with virtue of empathy makes M@A's quite (almost) effective, give him an enchanted shield and a sword of might (2+ sv, s5 in combat) and he'll mix it up with the best of them.

I would also field a lord level character, leadership nine makes a BIG differance to you chances of holding. Either a tooled up combat killer or a defensive leader. So you need to find the points to fit him or ever her in (no-one expects a prophetess so you could field her but the drop to leadership eight might hurt).

I do like the simplicity of your list, but the lack of peggys or Yeoman means you lack some lone wizard and warmachine hunting ability. Which will hurt to.

Hope that gives you some food for thought :D

Cryptkeeper
14-06-2006, 13:58
I understand what your trying to say. I am thinking about increasing men at arms now. hmm.

goreshrek
19-06-2006, 00:35
make one of the units of bowmen skirmishers, so they can protect the trebuchet. Otherwise it will quickly die. :( I agree with the Lord suggestion, also.

druchii
19-06-2006, 02:07
One single(short!) sentence will improve this army list dramatically:
Ditch the commoners.

Get more knights. The absolute strength of a Bretonian army list is the knights. The vast majority of your army moves 8-16" a turn, and will mostly be charging the front lines of an opponents army. This does two things: First off, it leaves your slow peasant units in the dust, where they slowly bring up the rear, either losing effectiveness, or getting shot by your opponents ranged units (which would be quite useless after turn 2, as your knights should have already charged.) and 2: it denies YOUR ranged units viable targets at whom to fire. Simply put your archers suck, get yeomen(for flank charges, or charge re-direction) or more knights. Or both. Knights=win.

Kasrkin
19-06-2006, 09:01
Knights=win.

All Knights = boring, too. I always take men-at-arms with my Bretonnians- I find them useful in both flanking and distracting. People shoot at them instead of the knights, and when they find how bad their stats are they suddenly ignore them. This means they can make a real nusence of themselves.

I've tried an all-knight army- boring as hell. You move, you charge, you win. The end. How many times will that happen before you get fed up with the army? Peasants force you to make more decisions and put more throught into the game, which means more fun.

TWB
20-06-2006, 11:48
I'm not going to close this thread, that wouldn't be fair on Cryptkeeper who is asking for help and pointers on his list, I've removed the spat though. Carry on :).

The Warseer Inquisition

goreshrek
22-06-2006, 01:30
I agree with Kasrkin, all knights are boring and you will have trouble finding opponents. A lot of Bret players try to create a theme for their army, as the Bret list really has a lot of flexibility. Knights are your best units, but grail reliaque, peasants, etc can be more challenging to play. Knight errant are also very fun, the immune to psych is very useful.

Cryptkeeper
23-06-2006, 15:43
Thanx guys. I have a pretty good idea what im going to do now. I am going to keep a few archers back with the trebuchet or however your supposed to spell it and they will be skirmishers. But I will only have one men-at-arms unit then i will still have the little distraction i need. I do agree all knights are boring. I looked into that before. Its no fun then of course. You always need the little guys in an army. Probably why they made gnoblars a required unit in Ogre Kingdoms. Anyways thanx guys i have a list made up now im going to try it out.

-chris

DirtJumper
23-06-2006, 21:44
Pegassus Knight are almost vital in Brets, just because they give yo some protection against Warmachines. I don't put much stock in Yeoman. Sure, they're fast Cav, but they just dont have the punch or movement of the Peggys, plus they're more expencive money-wise and aren't the best looking models. Keep the Peasents, although all Knights is better, peasents mak for a more interesting game for both you and your opponent, and it's a refreshing change in a tourney to see a Bret army that uses them (which translates to better comp/sportsmanship scores in a tourney)

megastar242
06-07-2006, 06:24
I do find all knight armies to be boring as well. If you want to use peasants, they will pretty much flee at the nearest sign of trouble. This is not necessarily a bad thing. If you change your bowmen to skirmishers, and drop the 2 m@a, you would be able to pick up a grail relique. Bump up the numbers in your archers. Having hatred and stubborn is quite effective, and having the blessing. They make for a great meatshield for your knights. If you have the bowmen on both sides, and your knights positioned behind the archers, you can easily have your bowmen "flee" at YOUR command, rather than being forced too. You then move your skirmishers aside when you want to charge. You will at least give your knights some protection from oncoming fire, and with range 30" (some will at least hit), this does give your opponent something to worry about.

I find Peg knights are needed in this type of peasant army, as war machines and wizards are a problem.

If you plan to hold table quarters, peasants do a pretty good job. Even though they do stink in combat, they are great distractions, and even a flank/outnumber, if your knights do get bogged down by an enemy unit. This does happen from time to time.

Consider knights errant as well. With immune to fear on the charge, and the errantry banner (+1str on charge) placing them BEHIND another unit such as the archers, allows you to use impetuous to YOUR advantage. If you can not see an enemy to charge, you CAN NOT be forced to charge it. Therefore in a kind of cheap way, impetuous can not be used against you.

Well, my 2 cents

W.

As you do not have the army book, some virtues for your heroes and magic items will be useful to your units