PDA

View Full Version : 2.5K using Dragon Prince unit with Prince & High Archmage

Sinsigel
16-02-2014, 17:17
Lord : 622pts
Prince(Dragon Armour, Elven Steed - Ithilmar Barding, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness)
Archmage(Elven Steed, Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Book of Hoeth) - High Magic

Heroes : 282pts
Noble(Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Shield, Elven Steed - Ithilmar Barding, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown of Atrazar)
Mage(Level 1, Dispel Scroll) - Lore of Metal

Core : 633pts
23 Lothern Sea Guard(Full Command)
9 Silver Helms(Shields, Full Command)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Musician)

Special : 410pts
10 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Ogre Blade, Banner of the World Dragon)

Rare : 552pts
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle
Frostheart Phoenix
8 Sisters of Avelorn(High Sister)

2,499pts

While I attempt to write my lists as a competitive all-comers list, foremost priority is 'using the models I want to use'.
And as per that foremost principle, I attempted to run a DP unit as main combat unit in 2.5K list.
Prince provides constant hitting power(which DPs lack after charge), while archmage provides ward save boosts along with means to counter chaff & horde via high magic.

Although I'm still unsatisfied with the size, the sea guard provides a mean to negate steadfast of enemy infantry unit and additional chaff counter(Bows).
Scroll caddie exists to threaten heavily armoured models such as steam tanks.

DP unit's mobility help it avoid unfavoruable combats(GW-wielding infantry units and troll horde for example), but Dwellers Below obviously is the
most threatening factor to my list. First turn Dwellers can be avoided by placing the DP unit further back at deployment zone, since dwellers have only 24" range maximum.
In the following turns, I should use the mobility of the DPs to engage in combat ASAP.

Kahadras
17-02-2014, 16:01
That's a lot of points spent on characters. I think the army could do with another Eagle as well (you can never have too many Eagles IMHO). I do like the mobility in the list but I think the DP unit does have a big target painted on it and it's going to rely on the Prince and champion for kills if it gets bogged down in combat. TBH I'm not a big fan of these type of units as all it takes is a bit of bad luck and the units gives up so many VP.