PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf/Visions Subscription Poll

Athelassan
17-02-2014, 02:14
With lots of talk about cancelled subscriptions in the other thread but no way easily to tally rough figures, I thought a poll might be a good idea. I've tried to cover all the bases.

If you have already taken action on the subject, please vote for the "will do this" that most closely matches the action you have taken.

shelfunit.
17-02-2014, 07:20
Not a subscriber, not going to take one out. If they did eventually come up with something that had content, I would seriously consider it.

Onychophora
17-02-2014, 07:49
I was a subscriber, but the first issue of Visions was the last issue of my subscription. I will not be renewing.

samael
17-02-2014, 08:16
Was a subscriber. Cancelled my subscription after witnessing the horror that is Visions.

Herzlos
17-02-2014, 08:53
Not a subscriber, not going to take one out. If they did eventually come up with something that had content, I would seriously consider it.

Ditto. Though I'd add that I was a subscriber for a while in about 2012 and cancelled about half way through, and had a standing order in my newsagents in the 90's.

ewar
17-02-2014, 13:42
I was going to raise exactly the same poll. I've been out of the country for all of February and hadn't seen the new magazines and hadn't had much time on the forums so wasn't really keyed up to the full horror of what they'd done.

Visions is literally the worst idea for a product I can conceive of. I like GW and generally consider myself more of a fanboy than a hater, but this change is just insane. I don't want to go to my local GW on a weekly basis, it's just not going to happen. If I could pick up the pamphlet in my local newsagents on a Saturday morning for 99p along with some milk and a loaf of bread then I would probably buy it fairly regularly (because I'm a mug and I still enjoy flicking through an actual magazine, which is why I've had a WD sub since about 2003) but 2.50 for some ads and meaningless articles... no way.

Consider me cancelled and very annoyed.

duffybear1988
17-02-2014, 13:50
I cancelled just before visions was announced. It hasn't drawn me back in...

Jadawin
17-02-2014, 14:16
Long time subscriber (8 years or so) cancelled and got refund immediately after seeing issue 1 of visions.

sasheep
17-02-2014, 14:37

This. I will instead be buying No Quarter and the odd issue of Wargames Illustrated.

DarthSte
17-02-2014, 15:05
I have been a direct debit subscriber for quite a few years and have had annual subscriptions on and off since WD140 or so. I cancelled mine sub after recieving Visions. I didn't bother asking for a refund, I think I will still recieve the next 2 issues of it.

misterboff
17-02-2014, 21:10
I have been a direct debit subscriber for quite a few years and have had annual subscriptions on and off since WD140 or so. I cancelled mine sub after recieving Visions. I didn't bother asking for a refund, I think I will still recieve the next 2 issues of it.

Same here, but not quite as long. I subscribed from roughly 190 to 235 and 300 to the end. I've still got most of them in my loft, and dig the odd issue out every now and again.

MiyamatoMusashi
17-02-2014, 21:46
I was a subscriber; since White Dwarf issue 93, IIRC. In recent years the quality had plummeted to near-rock-bottom but 3 a month to keep the collection going didn't seem like a big deal.

I cancelled my subscription about ten minutes after receiving Visions #1. It would still be 3 to keep it going, but every issue would be like getting slapped in the face, and I wouldn't let that happen for free, never mind pay for it.

fenrisbrit
17-02-2014, 22:03
My subscription will be cancelled before the next edition of WV. WV is not what I want. The small amount of stuff that was worth reading WD for has been moved to WDW but that is not nearly enough to make me pay more for it or make unnecessary visits to a store. Very disappointed after so many years (WD 50 onwards).

When I challenged the staff in the store about the complete misjudgment of WV, WDW and the way it was introduced they responded that many people had said they liked what had happened. In the interest of keeping a genuinely open mind that the majority are in favour, it would be good to hear of any positive feedback in these threads as well as the negative.

stroller
17-02-2014, 22:16
Cancelled shop subscription; got refund.

Deaf Paradox
17-02-2014, 22:52
I cancelled my subscription just before Visions was announced with the plan to subscribe to the iPad version. I had 2 mags left on my last payment to be shipped to me before it was officially cancelled for me.

During this time Visions was announced and what a stink bomb it turned out to be, suffice to say I haven't bothered renewing my subscription with GW.

What annoys me more than anything was that I can find out all the info in the new mags a week early online. Another reason not to bother getting the mag again. I'm not blaming people for leaking/showing the stuff early but more rather GW approach to try and keep us in the dark. It just doesn't work in this day and age, why bother paying them for old news.

duffybear1988
19-02-2014, 01:09
I don't buy this corporate spiel about the majority being happy with the changes. It's the same deluded rubbish from management I have to put up with on a daily basis at work. You will probably find that the front line staff are just as distraught by the changes as we are. Unfortunately voicing any opinion except the company one = job loss. It sure is a sorry state we are in.

New Cult King
19-02-2014, 01:52
I get a sub each Xmas as a gift. All of the content that the old WD and now Visions was/is missing I can find online for free. I don't mind the cool pics and painting guides in Visions as that's all I ever read the old WD for anyway.

Athelassan
19-02-2014, 15:29
I don't buy this corporate spiel about the majority being happy with the changes. It's the same deluded rubbish from management I have to put up with on a daily basis at work. You will probably find that the front line staff are just as distraught by the changes as we are. Unfortunately voicing any opinion except the company one = job loss. It sure is a sorry state we are in.
Well, indeed. Just going by the poll figures, of existing subscribers only 10% are planning to renew their Visions subscriptions and precisely nobody is planning to take out a fresh subscription to it. I know the poll has a small sample size so far but even so that's pretty damning.

It might be that Visions is designed as the magazine to attract passing trade and GW aren't worried about lost subscriptions, which seems to be the intention. I think that's somewhere on the spectrum between wrong and boneheaded, for various reasons, but if that's the model they're going with then fair enough... except why in that case are subscriptions only available for Visions and not WD Weekly, for which one would imagine, and the poll suggests, there would be some demand? It's crazy.

Spider-pope
19-02-2014, 17:09
I wasn't a subscriber, but i would subscribe now for White Dwarf Weekly, if only to save 4 a week getting to and from my local store. Visions? Forget it.

TheFang
19-02-2014, 18:43
I wasn't a subscriber, but i would subscribe now for White Dwarf Weekly, if only to save 4 a week getting to and from my local store. Visions? Forget it.Yup.

Trying to work out how to most easily get this weeks White Dwarf with the Imperial Knight in it.

MiyamatoMusashi
19-02-2014, 18:50
Quite. If I'd been offered the choice of switching my subscription to Visions or WDW, I'd have happily* gone with WDW as long as it stayed 3/month by Direct Debit. Lacking that option... I cancelled.

* - happily is a strong word here. I still don't think WDW is great, far from it. But it is tolerable. Visions? No.

fenrisbrit
19-02-2014, 20:06
Quite. If I'd been offered the choice of switching my subscription to Visions or WDW, I'd have happily* gone with WDW as long as it stayed 3/month by Direct Debit. Lacking that option... I cancelled.

* - happily is a strong word here. I still don't think WDW is great, far from it. But it is tolerable. Visions? No.

Agree. That was the problem for me. Splitting the magazine in half and only offering subscription to the half I did not want....

Sophet Drahas
19-02-2014, 20:18
Haven't been a subscriber in years. Since 2012 I've been buying the old WD's from the shop because I didn't want to wait weeks for them in the mail. I wasn't thrilled with what had changed since the mid 2000's (back when we'd get the General's Compendium, etc).

I've only picked up one copy of WDW (first issue, I'm not a Dwarf player). Visions was disappointing but I'm a Nid and Vamp Count player so they had content that I could look at. The Hive Fleet painting schemes weren't a total waste on me. With that said, I'll give Visions one more shot to see if anything changed. If it's still a bunch of pics from the Net and no articles then I'll be done with it.

I don't have a local store that stocks WDW so I can only grab that when I'm running errands near a GW store. And since the content is already outdated by then since it's just an ad for the next weeks releases, I don't see myself nabbing it.

I've said it before. Rackham had put out a stellar magazine with superb modeling articles in it. That's what I'm looking for. That's what I want from GW. I don't think I'll ever get that again and this looks to be the proverbial nail in the coffin. I miss Chad Mierzwa's (sp?) articles. Those were must buys for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk