PDA

View Full Version : storage and transport issues

Camman1984
17-02-2014, 18:09
This is a problem me and my friends have, how to store and move all these crazy big and delicate models. When i got into the game my biggest model was a predator, a lump of metal with a lump of metal on the top and about 3 inches by 3 inches by 6 inches was more than enough storage.

Nowdays the models are gettig bigger and bigger and with the new plastic moulds incredibly fiddly and delicate. (Chaos and undead big box models spring to mind).

How do people transport these safely for gaming, without going and spending 2-300 on GW cases. ( i worked out my space marine army of 2500 points would need approximately 4 lage GW cases. Expensive and unweildy to carry.

MajorWesJanson
17-02-2014, 18:13
This is a problem me and my friends have, how to store and move all these crazy big and delicate models. When i got into the game my biggest model was a predator, a lump of metal with a lump of metal on the top and about 3 inches by 3 inches by 6 inches was more than enough storage.

Nowdays the models are gettig bigger and bigger and with the new plastic moulds incredibly fiddly and delicate. (Chaos and undead big box models spring to mind).

How do people transport these safely for gaming, without going and spending 2-300 on GW cases. ( i worked out my space marine army of 2500 points would need approximately 4 lage GW cases. Expensive and unweildy to carry.

Every walker I have dreadnought sized and up (contemptor, dreadknight, riptide, warhound, reaver) is either magnetized or pinned at the waist so I can pull it apart for transport (and so I can pose it). Then just pluck foam and cardboard boxes.

Beppo1234
17-02-2014, 18:32
everything up to dreadnaught size can fit on a normal gw storage foam sheet, and I don't play the magnetizing game. So no real problem for me for that size and below. I'm only just starting nids,,, but I'm sure I can fit the larger nids in 2 GW foam sheets stacked and modified properly.

I'm currently pondering the reorganization of my guard army, and am thinking exactly about this. My Steel Legion army currently consists of 6 GW foam storage sheets. I want to reduce the steel legion to 4 GW foam sheets, freeing up two sheets for other allies. 2 sheets for a small grey knight allied force, inquisition detachment, small sister of battle allied force, and now a Knight... hopefully, the Knight will be able to be stored between 2 GW sheets stacked, modified to take the extra size (like the larger nids)

anything bigger than that is problematic for me. Not gonna buy a gw or other type of case for my vehicles, it's just not economical, when you consider that most vehicles are full of empty space, which takes away from your finite storage space. When I get around to it, I think I'll just go to a shipping store, and buy appropriately sized, but strong shipping boxes, to box each of my vehicles individually, and fill the dead space with styrofoam packing.

Sir Didymus
17-02-2014, 19:36
I use these : http://kaiserrushforth.com/cases.aspx?s=T

hobojebus
17-02-2014, 21:20
http://www.krmulticase.com/

I have a double back pack from them that carries 5k easily, friends have a bunch of their cardboard cases for storage.

MusingWarboss
17-02-2014, 22:35
I like KR too! Though the biggest thing I've got is a DakkaJet. I'm not sure if a Stompa would fit in a standard case. Though one of the benefits of KR is that you can email them and they'll help with case choice if you need it.

gwarsh41
17-02-2014, 22:45
Get a seahorse gun case, and get some battlefoam. Expensive, but it wont be breaking anytime before you do. I can bring around just about any of my models in it. The only thing I cannot is my brass scorpion. For that I bought a mobile filing case that I lined with foam from a foam matress. I cut it up so the scorpion fits in nicely. Not as good as the seahorse case, but still good enough.

Born Again
18-02-2014, 08:55
This is one of the main things that stops me buying these larger models. When/ If I do, I'll be looking at ways to magnetize them or have them break down for transport and storage. As it is my Dark Eldar has several models break down, the sail, flying base, trophy racks and passengers all come off my Raider, even my Beastmaster comes off his skyboard and the flying base comes out.