PDA

View Full Version : Fencers Blades+Wizards

nickdahkwik
17-02-2014, 18:51
Is this right?

Chaos Wizard choosing the Fencer's Blades????

I thought you had to have the entry in your equipment profile like if your character had the option for a/an "additional hand weapon" then you can take this item If not, then not able to take the magic item.(maybe this was in previous ed. not in 8th any more?)

Also, are there any restrictions on WIZARDS taking magic weapons? so like I could give my Skaven Grey seer an Ogre blade for example?

Artiee
17-02-2014, 18:56
Just need to have a access to a weapon.

forseer of fates
17-02-2014, 19:08
Just restrictions on armour

Glen_Savet
17-02-2014, 21:50
Any wizard with access to the Common Magic Items list can take magic weapons.

mostlyharmless
17-02-2014, 21:57
They didn't have that restriction in the previous edition either. You are mistaken. The only magic item restriction wizards have is in regards to armour, and that can only be taken if they already have the option for armour, which is why chaos wizards are awesome. They can actually have armour. The only reason I can think of the give a chaos wizard fencer's blades is to take a Slaughterbrute and give him WS 10, which would be hilarious. I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but if I remember correctly, that's what the Fencer's Blades do.

Moss
17-02-2014, 23:54
They didn't have that restriction in the previous edition either. You are mistaken. The only magic item restriction wizards have is in regards to armour, and that can only be taken if they already have the option for armour, which is why chaos wizards are awesome. They can actually have armour. The only reason I can think of the give a chaos wizard fencer's blades is to take a Slaughterbrute and give him WS 10, which would be hilarious. I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but if I remember correctly, that's what the Fencer's Blades do.
The reason for giving a wizard Fencer's Blades is to give him WS10, which leaves most models in the game hitting him on 5+. Combined with his ability to take armor, it makes the Chaos Sorcerer decently defended.

Necronartum
18-02-2014, 06:51
The reason for giving a wizard Fencer's Blades is to give him WS10, which leaves most models in the game hitting him on 5+. Combined with his ability to take armor, it makes the Chaos Sorcerer decently defended.

And the Mark of Nurgle for another -1. Thats what a friend of mine is currently running. Very annoying hehe.

orionwoodking
19-02-2014, 04:06
I don't think the fencer's blades gives the mount it's ability, because it says 'the bearer'

SimaoSegunda
19-02-2014, 07:59
I don't think the fencer's blades gives the mount it's ability, because it says 'the bearer'

If you're referring to the poster above mentioning a ws10 Slaughterbrute, that's not because it's a ridden monster, it has a special rule where you bind it to a particular character, and it gains that character's Weapon Skill while said character is still alive.

orionwoodking
19-02-2014, 08:07
Ok, thanks for the clarification. That would definitely affect the Slaughterbrute then

Yowzo
20-02-2014, 11:22
If you're referring to the poster above mentioning a ws10 Slaughterbrute, that's not because it's a ridden monster, it has a special rule where you bind it to a particular character, and it gains that character's Weapon Skill while said character is still alive.

I don't have the WoC book (or have ever played a Slaughterbrute, they're that rare) but wouldn't that be in the same grey area as a Tomb King/Prince with Fencers Blades?

Artiee
20-02-2014, 12:00
Differance is that TK book Will be done states unmodified weapon skill, Plus the TK FAQ also states that the Fencer Blader WS is not passed to the unit.

Necronartum
20-02-2014, 12:20
Differance is that TK book Will be done states unmodified weapon skill, Plus the TK FAQ also states that the Fencer Blader WS is not passed to the unit.

Holy cow. I have a small TK army and that thought never even crossed my mind. Such a shame that 'My Will Cannot Be Done (because GW made sure it couldn't)'. Hehe.

RejjeN
21-02-2014, 16:42
Holy cow. I have a small TK army and that thought never even crossed my mind. Such a shame that 'My Will Cannot Be Done (because GW made sure it couldn't)'. Hehe.
On the bright side it also sets a precedent that makes it so your units weapon skill can't be lowered (And by technical raw, the king/princes weapon skill would also be unaffected as the rule states (not EXACT wording) "Does not affect mounts or other characters)