PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights

Bellerophon
19-02-2014, 02:36
So I just finished reading Pandorax. Great book but there seemed to be a lot of new questions being raised. The biggest one was when it was mentioned that the Grey Knights were the 666th Chapter of Adeptus Astartes. Is there anything in any codex or any fluff to back this up at all?

Death Specter
19-02-2014, 03:05
I think it's in the codex somewhere

MajorWesJanson
19-02-2014, 06:56
I think it's in the codex somewhere

That's been part of the fluff for a long time. I think the Ben Counter Grey Knight novels. Per the GK Codex, they are Chapter 666, which was amusing since the Second Founding only resulted in a tad over 400 chapters at the time.

insectum7
19-02-2014, 07:10
That's been part of the fluff for a long time. I think the Ben Counter Grey Knight novels. Per the GK Codex, they are Chapter 666, which was amusing since the Second Founding only resulted in a tad over 400 chapters at the time.

Older than that even. I believe they are referenced as chapter 666 in a short story in Dark Millennium, the psychic-centric expansion to 2nd Edition. If not that particular book, something from around that era.

MajorWesJanson
19-02-2014, 07:24
Older than that even. I believe they are referenced as chapter 666 in a short story in Dark Millennium, the psychic-centric expansion to 2nd Edition. If not that particular book, something from around that era.

Maybe one of the Realm of Chaos duology. I don't have a copy of those. I didn't see it mentioned in Codex: Daemonhunters, Dark Millennium, or Codex Imperalis. Amusingly enough, the old fluff has the Grey Knights as the only chapter created in the Second Founding. Times have changed.

insectum7
19-02-2014, 07:36
Can't be Realm of Chaos, I don't have those either. It's a two page, black text on gray background deal and it speaks of the 666 intonations and the 666 rituals and the 666 yadda yaddas. Hmmm, where could that be. . .

BTJ
19-02-2014, 10:22
Wes, have you checked C:DH for that? Cause I'm 99% sure I remember reading it in that book

Bellerophon
19-02-2014, 12:00
I remember reading that they were numbered at around 666 members, but never the 666th Chapter.

Not to mention what are they calling "founding." If I remember correctly, they were gathered before the Heresy's end, even acknowledged by the Emperor. That was well before even the Second Founding

Lord Damocles
19-02-2014, 18:25
Codex: Daemonhunters, pg.62
Codex: Grey Knights, pg.6

EDIT: Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, pg.247

batweb
19-02-2014, 21:24
The number sort of made sense in Slaves as their founding was later:

"The Grey Knights were a single Chapter created during an unregistered Founding shortly after the (official) Third Founding. Although technically Marines of the Adeptus Astartes, the Grey knights are, to all intents and purposes part of the Inquisition. They are listed as a Third Founding unit and, by the Emperor's instruction, were designated Chapter number 666."

The rest of that fluff has largely gone but 666 remains.

Lord Damocles
20-02-2014, 19:46
Even with their foundation being during the second Founding, being Chapter 666 (when there were ~400 Chapters in total) makes sense.

Even assuming that the number 666 doesn't have actual unwholesome (Chaotic) characteristics, we know that the Imperium are a superstitious bunch - the Index Astartes series described how Chapter forges melt down every 666th tank they produce, for example; and the Canticle of Absolution in Codex: Daemonhunters suggests at a ritual significance to the number.

MajorWesJanson
20-02-2014, 21:45
Thanks Lord Damocles. I looked in Codex: DH, but didn't read the entire page 62.