PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on an all terminator army

just_jay
19-02-2014, 11:35
Hey all,

As the title states I'm looking for advice in starting an all terminator army. I recently got 20 AOBR Terminators for 40 bucks and was wondering the best way to put them to use. I know SW, DA and GK all have a manner by which they can use termies as troops. GK are the personally the most appealing as don't really like using special characters, I feel as they take an element of creative control away from the army. I play 40k on a budget so a low model count army is also appealing. I guess I'm just asking, with 20 terminators as a foundation, what would be the best way to move forward with creating a complete army while balancing cost and effectiveness. I'm deployed right now so play testing is out of the question until I get back. I apologize if this post is out of place, I didn't quite know where to put it as it didn't contain an actual army list nor did it reference any tactics, figured the general discussion board would at least point me in the right direction. I'd appreciate any advice/opinions you have, any and all comments are welcomed.

Thank you.

J

T10
19-02-2014, 11:45
GK are the personally the most appealing

I'm going to go crazy here and suggest you pick Grey Knights.

If that doesn't sit well with you, you might also consider just using the normal Space Marine Codex and come to an agreement with your opponent that you can use an army without Troops, just Terminators.

-T10

Mandragola
19-02-2014, 11:51
I'd suggest dark angels. I take your point on not wanting special characters, but grey knight terminators are nothing like the AoBR ones. You have all the wrong weapons. They would be fine as deathwing though, as the basic storm bolter and power fist armament is what they mostly get.

Another reason to go deathwing is that the AoBR termies have no special weapons, but the deathwing termie box has a bunch of them. 3 or more I think. So you could get one box of those and make a load of heavy weapons guys for your units. There would also be tons of detail parts you could spread around to make sergeants etc. You could also make some of them up as the command squad if you wanted.

There are some tactical limitations with whatever option you go for, but deathwing probably have more options than the other two thanks to being able to deep strike on turn 1. Belial also makes his unit not scatter. Plus you also get a whole marine codex to play with, so all the usual vehicles etc are available to you.

FredrikR
19-02-2014, 12:23
I understand the point of the standard special characters making your creative control less.
However, if going Dark Angels, you can always convert a Terminator with sword/stormbolter (or TH/SS) into something Belial-ish of your own design, make your own background etc.

In a number of ways, the Dark Angels route is lot easier than the others, as mentioned above. Not only could you get a single box of Deathwing Terminators to secure heavy weapons (cyclone launcher, assault cannon, plasma cannon included) for converting into your existing squads. The box also contains a Dark Angel-ized sword and TH/SS for any Belial conversion you may be interested in making.

Harwammer
19-02-2014, 12:49
Are you set on all terminator? If you could pick up some cheap scouts that opens up your options a lot more and you can have some homers down to guide your termis in to position.

Bartali
19-02-2014, 13:40
GK are probably the best all TDA army - they don't have an expensive HQ Tax to unlock, and they have more options than others, both with equipment choices and in unit types. Sadly, as others have said, GK Terminators don't have the same options as the Black Reach Terminators.

If you don't run GK, I'd strongly recommend bringing in some cheap troops. This not only stops you relying on expensive unlock characters, it also opens up the SM and BA codexes to use as well.

Camman1984
19-02-2014, 14:07
If you want to run vanilla dex, take captain modacai blaylock from the novamarines (ultramarine CT). He makes all you terminators into scoring and denial units. Then take some scouts as your compulsory troops choices and give them teleporter homers for synergy. The scouts also count toward the 50% that must be deployed. Give them camo and be prepared to GTG to keep them alive to capture objectives.

I think this should give you what you are after.

T10
19-02-2014, 14:12
take captain modacai blaylock from the novamarines

Somehow, I don't think so.

don't really like using special characters, I feel as they take an element of creative control away from the army.

Also, Imperial Armour vol 9 is 60.

I play 40k on a budget

-T10

Camman1984
19-02-2014, 14:15
He is available as pdf on the forgeworld download page for free along with all the badab characters if you didnt fancy buying the now out of date IA book.

(I missed the note about not wanting special characters)

just_jay
19-02-2014, 17:03
Thank you for all the comments, definitely helpful and definitely food for thought. At first I thought the GK conversions wouldn't be too tough but you guys are definitely right about the convenience of using the models as DA, being it's the easiest route and the route doesn't require a lot of extra bitz to make it work. What I was thinking of doing if I should choose the DA route is simply fluffing Belial as a character of my own design and running them as a small company of "The Fallen" or maybe even the Deathwing of a homemade "Unforgiven" chapter, I know that's kind of paradoxical but whatever. Kind of turns the table as far as creativity is concerned, 180 on that one. Plus Dark Vengeance termies are pretty cheap to come by. I'll add tactical marines and scouts over time, now it's just to the drawing board for the fluff really. The Fallen idea seems pretty sweet, converting things to chaos seems simple, damage marks, spikes and random helms as trophies and they should be pretty badass, scratch of all the Imperial insignia of course. The GK dex just seems really dope and unique with the use of the Inquisitiors and their henchmen, assassins and alien engineers, maybe I'll keep the idea around for a little bit. Thanks again for all the help. Any suggestions for a "next buy?" A model for "counts as" Belial of course and then what next? I play Necrons so building any SM army is a bit new to me.

Lord Damocles
19-02-2014, 20:05
It's worth noting that Black Reach terminators don't have nearly the right weapons for Grey Knight Terminators.

Slayer-Fan123
19-02-2014, 23:04
Somehow, I don't think so.

Also, Imperial Armour vol 9 is 60.

-T10
That's pretty expensive for a book. Good thing there's this:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/badabupdate-v2.pdf
They did an update for all the Badab War guys for the 6th Edition Codex for free.

Paint it Red
19-02-2014, 23:36
The thing with terminators is that the all come from the first company. The captain of the first company has to be a pretty special go to be allowed be the codex astartes to fight only with terminators. Since these guys are so special (1 or 2 in the whole Imperium) there are named characters to represent them. I think it is strange that you have no qualm fielding all terminators but hate the idea of fielding a named character :wtf:.

Besides everyone knows Belial leads the deathwing. So it would be strange if some one took his place. His rules are generic and his options for weapons. The only thing really special about him is that he takes terminators as troops, which is what you want.

Beppo1234
20-02-2014, 00:58
Belial is pretty much a standard captain anyways... and you can arm him as any standard termi can be armed. So not really a big deal. My vote goes for DAs, not because I'm doing DW right now, but because of what others have mentioned. You take the termies as troops, but you have the rest of the codex you can still play with, including all the ravenwing stuff, elite termies,tanks, and the rest of a standard marine chapter arsenal... and can also still take the inquisition portion of the GK codex on its own... and then take GKs as allies if you want even more termies. You're much more limited using GKs IMO

Slayer-Fan123
20-02-2014, 01:26
Belial is pretty much a standard captain anyways... and you can arm him as any standard termi can be armed. So not really a big deal.
Yeah, you just have to paint the Chainfist REALLY pretty.

just_jay
20-02-2014, 07:40
I think it is strange that you have no qualm fielding all terminators but hate the idea of fielding a named character.Hey Red, I know it seems strange but I really enjoy the creative license the game provides. As you said, Terminators come from the 1st company, so I don't see harm in simply running another chapter's 1st Company with Deathwing rules. I don't think that's unheard of either, it might not be tournament legal but I'd rather have an army that's a blast to play anytime I'm able to play it. As far as Belial, every 1st Company has a hero and since Belial is pretty generic, a "counts as" model shouldn't be too difficult to come by. But I wouldn't just rename Belial and run the Deathwing, that would indeed be strange. And you've absoultely nailed it Beppo, Inquisition allies, mechanically inclined Orangutans coming to a table near you. Thanks again for all the input guys.

Paint it Red
20-02-2014, 14:30
We all have our way of playing toy soldiers :D. A deathwatch style theme, where all the terminators have come from different chapters to answer the call the of the High Lords of Terra, would be cool. It is quite common for an inquisitor to lead the deathwatch so they fit in quite nicely.

hobojebus
20-02-2014, 14:48
What you want laddie is to form a logan wing force!

just_jay
20-02-2014, 15:22
Ooh, the Deathwatch idea? That's really good stuff, a Deathwatch Deathwing of sorts. I'm sure I could find enough shoulder guards to make it work. That's brilliant man, brings in all the elements I was looking for. Sadly a SW army isn't for me man, not that I couldn't feature some a converted Wolf Guard in a Deathwatch 1st company. See? This is already working out.

superdupermatt
20-02-2014, 16:36
ALthough I understand and respect your disdain of special characters, but you can always do a "counts-as" Belial, and for a named character he has plenty of wargear options that gives you plenty of wiggle room for personalisation also.

I've often thought about doing a counts-as Belial for my own 1st Company.

Menthak
20-02-2014, 19:33
Ooh, the Deathwatch idea? That's really good stuff, a Deathwatch Deathwing of sorts. I'm sure I could find enough shoulder guards to make it work. That's brilliant man, brings in all the elements I was looking for. Sadly a SW army isn't for me man, not that I couldn't feature some a converted Wolf Guard in a Deathwatch 1st company. See? This is already working out.

I would say to go for a Kill-team Hunter-Killer squad from the basic codex. Have a Captain in Terminator armour, scouts to act as the scouts, then DS the rest of your terminators. This way no-one complains about you using another codex for a different army, plus you get loads of cool conversion opportunities.

just_jay
20-02-2014, 20:21
I would say to go for a Kill-team Hunter-Killer squad from the basic codex. What codex would you be referencing here? Codex: SM? Forgive my ignorance man, never ran a SM army before.
This way no-one complains about you using another codex for a different army, plus you get loads of cool conversion opportunities.Well I would use Codex DA for the whole army. The Inquisition stuff would be an allied detachment. It would just be the paint scheme of Deathwatch to tie the whole "Deathwatch 1st Company" idea together. I wasn't aware that Deathwatch Kill Teams were part of a dedicated entry in another codex.

Menthak
20-02-2014, 21:48
What codex would you be referencing here? Codex: SM? Forgive my ignorance man, never ran a SM army before.

Yeah, codex:Space Marines, I should have been clearer

Well I would use Codex DA for the whole army. The Inquisition stuff would be an allied detachment. It would just be the paint scheme of Deathwatch to tie the whole "Deathwatch 1st Company" idea together. I wasn't aware that Deathwatch Kill Teams were part of a dedicated entry in another codex.

They're not as far as I know, what I was suggesting is that you use codex:space marines as your main codex, take a Captain with Terminator armour, take scouts with homing beacons, then take Terminators to fill out the rest, that way it makes an army list that is either a killteam or a first company with scouts.

Dryaktylus
21-02-2014, 03:07
Besides everyone knows Belial leads the deathwing. So it would be strange if some one took his place.

He wasn't the first, so that's not a problem. Tycho is in the BA codex though he's dead.

Camman1984
21-02-2014, 10:06
Yeah, why did tycho survive his death but not naaman, used to love his rules.

Eldartank
21-02-2014, 17:54
A few years ago I discovered that I had about 30 metal Terminator blisters lying around in various places that I had somehow collected over the years, and my Dark Angels Successor Chapter Deathwing was born. I have that really nice older Terminator Captain model as my "Belial" substitute, and one of my blisters also had a Terminator Librarian. I added a Land Raider and a Dreadnought. Since then, I put all my Terminators on the larger bases that Terminators use now. I just recently bought the Dark Angels Terminator Command Squad and the Nephilim Jetfighter, and I'm starting work on them.

Freman Bloodglaive
21-02-2014, 20:07
I found myself with 50 Space Marine terminators of the larger plastic style (some Black Reach). Add in Lysander's model as a thunder hammer Belial and Deathwing here I come.

Eldartank
22-02-2014, 01:57
I found myself with 50 Space Marine terminators of the larger plastic style (some Black Reach). Add in Lysander's model as a thunder hammer Belial and Deathwing here I come.

I wonder how many of us ended up with an instant Deathwing army after realizing we had an excess of Terminator models.... ;)

Paint it Red
22-02-2014, 02:57
I have 25 myself, bit I use them along side tactical squads.

Freman Bloodglaive
22-02-2014, 04:10
I wonder how many of us ended up with an instant Deathwing army after realizing we had an excess of Terminator models.... ;)

Probably anyone who has been playing for a few years. Converted my Terminator Librarian to have a force axe using the axe from the Wolf Guard terminator box.

Anubii
22-02-2014, 06:25
I have converted a spartan army using the gk dex. They are all paladins- 55pts each. Lead by stupid draigo. Draigo is crap, but the paladins pick up the pieces. I have 20 models at 1500pts. Super small efficient army.