PDA

View Full Version : Key Differences Between 8th Edition and... WFB ten years ago?

redeleven
19-02-2014, 18:47
So, I'm coming back to Warhammer Fantasy after about a 10 year hiatus (college, grad school, and just life getting in the way) and I've been reading through the "new" rulebook. I realize this post is surrounded by wish lists for 9th edition, so this is a little silly, but... what do you guys who are experienced with 8th edition see as the biggest differences between it and previous editions? The rulebook is a zillion pages long and there are some substantial differences I want to make sure I catch before I break out my army at the game shop.

Here are the biggest changes I can find. What am I missing?

- Charging units no longer attack first, which makes initiative so much more important.
- Charging distances are now variable.
- You can pre-measure just about anything.
- Attacks from the second rank.
- Larger units losing combat can still use their base leadership.
- 6+ ward save (a "parry") for hand weapon/shield units.

Anyway, it's good to be back to Warhammer and Warseer (it was Portent the last time I was active here.) Cheers.

Lord Solar Plexus
19-02-2014, 18:53
You missed one: It's much better than it was 10 years ago! ;)

- Magic is stronger but less lopsided, ie. you don't have one faction with 20 PD vs 2 DD.
- Basic combat infanty actually matters and doesn't vaporize once it's charged by 5 riders.
- Conventional BS-based shooting has a lesser role unless it's buffed or intrinsically really good.
- Templates hit everything they touch, no 4+ rolls; cannon are template weapons and hit monsters & riders.
- no range guessing

Urgat
19-02-2014, 19:45
Well, combats don't end in one turn with the charging unit usually winning. That's the biggest change for me, and it's quite a nice one.

Feefait
19-02-2014, 20:27
I think other than a brief blip magic has always been very powerful in Warhammer. Few of us remember the days when a mystical bog could be summoned in the middle of the table to eat entire armies... or swarms of vortexes (instant kill whatever they touch), demons or elementals (all 10 stats) were summoned to roam the table. I think it's just easier to get to the big powerful magic now then before. I think for an older time player coming back there are some small things like changes in terrain and movement that will be the hardest to get used to.

meowser
19-02-2014, 21:14
- no terrain reduces your movement value anymore. some things can't be marched through, but that's it. most things that were 'difficult' terrain before are now 'dangerous terrain' (each models takes 1w no armor saves on a d6)
- charge distances got a lot bigger for the average M4" footslogger (8" charge to 11" charge on average [range 6-16"])

redeleven
19-02-2014, 22:04
This is super helpful, you guys. Can you clearly something up for me? If my clanrat unit of 40 models is charged by some knights who obliterate my first two ranks, do I still get to attack back with everything? It says in the rulebook: "...this means that if a unit is big enough, taking a handful of casualties will not reduce the number of attacks the unit can make back." That seems like a huge change.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
19-02-2014, 23:11
You mean between 8th edition (released 2010) and 5th edition (released 1996)?

Well for one, magic is dice-based rather than card-based. That's a pretty big deal. Combat lords are powerful still, but not the unstoppable murder machines that would win games on their own. Monstrous units have stomps and thunderstomps against infantry. Monstrous cavalry is all the rage, while standard cavalry has fallen out of favour. Chaos has been split into three armies, undead into two.

Kakapo42
19-02-2014, 23:15
You mean between 8th edition (released 2010) and 5th edition (released 1996)?

I think the OP meant between Warhammer Fantasy at the present time (2014, 8th edition) and Warhammer Fantasy 10 years ago (2004, which would have been 6th edition).

Urgat
20-02-2014, 06:28
This is super helpful, you guys. Can you clearly something up for me? If my clanrat unit of 40 models is charged by some knights who obliterate my first two ranks, do I still get to attack back with everything? It says in the rulebook: "...this means that if a unit is big enough, taking a handful of casualties will not reduce the number of attacks the unit can make back." That seems like a huge change.
Yes. As long as there's enough minis behind them to replace the casualties, the two first ranks can attack. So if you got 40 skavens in 4 ranks of 10, and you lose 20, 20 can still fight. One of the reasons for my first post.

Piercefierce
20-02-2014, 07:06
yeah step up, steadfast, pre measures, random charges are some of the biggest changes you will notice.

Fear doesn't auto break when out numbering.
Skirmishing rules are way different so if your a wood elf player look into this lol.
Terrain is far less influential. So again, if your a wood elf player look into this.

Overall its way better now. The model range is so good atm.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-02-2014, 07:51
True, terrain rules are somewhat the other extreme...instead of blocking a unit for the rest of the game, woods and co hardly do much. Sometimes the forest hits you or gives you poison or some such.

The Clairvoyant
20-02-2014, 10:26
Unit strength is gone. No outnumber bonus in combat and no autobreak from outnumbering fear-causers. You cancel rank bonus by having a unit with +1 rank bonus in the flank (or rear). Ranks are counted at end of combat, not the start. Musicians now allow a quick reform - take Ld test, reform and make a normal move. Fear tests now taken at the start of each combat. No Ld test to charge fear or terror causers. Terror causing chargers still cause Ld test. After that its just fear test in combat. ItP is now immune to fear, terror and panic only. Can you guess I'm an Undead player?! :D