PDA

View Full Version : a question about drop pods...

tu33y
20-02-2014, 14:24
is it bad form to glue the drop pods closed? im just starting a tentative Space Marine army made up of entirely drop-podding troops and i think i might do just that when i get the pods. is that uncool?

hobojebus
20-02-2014, 14:27
I wouldn't say so really, but some might argue with the door's up the stormbolter/missiles cant fire due to no line of sight, really depends who you play against.

Kiarr
20-02-2014, 15:38
Some people may complain that you have done that as you can fire through the drop pods and gluing the doors shut makes it look like you have tried to block LOS deliberatly (think I hear that torney organisers in a few places have had words with people who have glued them)

Personally if you were to play against me I wouldnt have a problem if you just said that you had done that for simplicity and that they can still fire through, however if they were mine I would not glue them so theres no argument

Blinder
20-02-2014, 16:35
As folks have said, the problem is that it makes it a bit harder to tell just what you should be able to see on the other side of the model. That said, even with the doors able to fold down that aspect of pods always seems to cause trouble, because something's inevitably going to get in the way of one folding down, and they're annoying to pose models on even when there is plenty of room.

So, as long as you're up front about just not wanting to fuss with the fold-outs and are reasonably liberal about allowing line-of-sight through them I doubt you'll run into many problems, and whenever you do the person would likely just have found something else to fuss about. Is it just to make it easier to move them around without the doors falling open, or is it more to avoid painting a bunch of silly harnesses and such? A player I know put magnets at the door tops so they don't just flop open to get around the first problem, and if it's the whole "battlefield mess" issue maybe you can just magnet the whole door into place? (I might even just leave them off entirely if it were me, "explosive bolts" or whatever)

insectum7
20-02-2014, 20:24
As a guy who uses drop pods I have to say that the open pods feel pretty great on the table. I honestly think you'd be missing something if the doors weren't open. Gameplay-wise it shouldn't matter much, but for me, the open doors are part of the "charm".

The doors themselves are specifically shaped to open and close with a bit of extra plastic on the hinge cylinder so they "latch" shut if you build them reasonably well. From a model perspective I think it's a great design and kind of a shame to not take advantage of it.

coldwar
20-02-2014, 20:43
Me personally and others i know, cannot keep the doors shut. Unless we glue them. Me and a couple others just glue them closed.

Having also read the previous comments, my gaming group obviously has no issues with them blocking LOS and completely allow a closed door-ed pod to shoot outwards. Plus it is rare that a drop pod kills anything of importance either so in my opinion I don't see the big deal as they rarely shoot, because you tend to forget them and they rarely kill something that is important in the bigger picture of the game.

That's from my experience at least.

Personal note, if i brought another Drop Pod, its doors will be glued shut never to open. Plus I have to keep re-gluing my first every so often as it likes to fall apart on its own even after gluing it shut forever to give it more strength and stability.

Menthak
20-02-2014, 21:41
Why not just blue-tac them closed?

snafflebug
20-02-2014, 22:03
Magnets its all in the magnets.:p

dangerboyjim
20-02-2014, 22:51
Can't you just pop an elastic band over the top?

We play it that if the doors can't open, because of a house or something, then that door doesn't open and you can't disembark from it.

Kurtboard
21-02-2014, 02:36
Unfortunately for the drop pod models there is a bit too much plastic at the hinge and it can be tricky to get the harnesses completely inserted into the center console. Before gluing the base on, dry fit the doors and test that they fully swing up and down freely. If not, take a knife and scrape some plastic off until they do. Also make sure you get the harnesses in all the way so the vertical supports are snug (that ensures the little plastic ridges will catch on the door when it shuts). If you do it right the challenge will be getting the doors open since those ridges really hold the doors in tight.

Kurt

ismeno
21-02-2014, 11:30
Too lazy to paint the interior? ;) If doing a pod-army, you should do it properly, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camman1984
21-02-2014, 12:02
My interiors are sprayed black, then over brushed with metal and washed. Nice and quick, more detailing on the outside and the structure.

Kiarr
21-02-2014, 12:49
I have helped build a fair few drop pods and usually put a little magnet at the top of the door where it goes slightly into the main body which seems to keep them nicely closed :)

Also you can magnetise the gun on the drop pod so you can swap it if you want or even the central console if your really feeling brave to allow you to take out the middle bit if if contains a dread :)

Langdon
21-02-2014, 13:11
Can't you just pop an elastic band over the top?

We play it that if the doors can't open, because of a house or something, then that door doesn't open and you can't disembark from it.
and here we have the stupidest suggestion yet.

dangerboyjim
22-02-2014, 01:18
<Takes bow>

The elastic bit? Or not being able to exit through an unopened door? (just to be clear, the doors that DO open you can disembark from)

Langdon
22-02-2014, 17:10
<Takes bow>

The elastic bit? Or not being able to exit through an unopened door? (just to be clear, the doors that DO open you can disembark from)
as soon as a drop pod has landed, the doors are ignored for all game purposes.

You saying closed doors means they cant disembark is cheating

dangerboyjim
22-02-2014, 19:59
Not if agreed with the opponent.

And you do understand it's just the door that can't open? The unit can disembark. Through the doors that did open.

Have you ever been through a door that wasn't open? I haven't, but then as you say, I am stupid.

Clang
22-02-2014, 23:03
Or glue them permanently open? Makes storing/transporting the pods harder, but avoids problems with dodgy hinges.

Grand Master Azrael
23-02-2014, 01:19
drop Pods are a lot of fun. I love placing mine somewhere (Imagining it Dropping from my Orbiting Dark Angels Strike Cruiser) then when it lands (in the rough spot I wanted it) it is a lot of fun to open the doors. I imagine if you use more than one the battlefield will suddenly look even cooller...

Sternguard777
23-02-2014, 01:37
drop Pods are a lot of fun. I love placing mine somewhere (Imagining it Dropping from my Orbiting Dark Angels Strike Cruiser) then when it lands (in the rough spot I wanted it) it is a lot of fun to open the doors. I imagine if you use more than one the battlefield will suddenly look even cooller...

I rather think it does but then again I'm not the one with twenty Sternguard and a Dreadnought to deal with. :skull:

Or glue them permanently open? Makes storing/transporting the pods harder, but avoids problems with dodgy hinges.

The problem I see with this is that there isn't always room for all the doors to open fully. which would severely limit your placement on battlefields with lots of terrain or in an area with a lot of models nearby.

I personally prefer to keep the doors unglued but if they have to be I'd prefer shut. Though to be honest it would depend on the group you play with. Mine wouldn't really care but yours might.

Grand Master Azrael
23-02-2014, 01:46
I rather think it does but then again I'm not the one with twenty Sternguard and a Dreadnought to deal with. :skull:

The problem I see with this is that there isn't always room for all the doors to open fully. which would severely limit your placement on battlefields with lots of terrain or in an area with a lot of models nearby.

I personally prefer to keep the doors unglued but if they have to be I'd prefer shut. Though to be honest it would depend on the group you play with. Mine wouldn't really care but yours might.

Did you say that you take 20 Sternguard? You must be Captain of the 1st Company of Whatever Chapter You belong to

Clang
23-02-2014, 05:42

I suppose another option would be model it as a variant which has doors that auto-open with explosive bolts (i.e. no hinges), and have the doors as five separate terrain pieces lying on the ground, to place as many as possible wherever's convenient. Or are there ever pedantic arguments in situations where one door can't open due to nearby terrain, and therefore that door arguably can't be see through or shot through?

Do open doors have any in-game effect? - my understanding is that doors don't count for defining the edge of any vehicle if it's attacked in close combat, so they would seem purely decorative.

Langdon
23-02-2014, 13:01
Do open doors have any in-game effect? - my understanding is that doors don't count for defining the edge of any vehicle if it's attacked in close combat, so they would seem purely decorative.
none whatsoever, they dont count as difficult terrain to move over them, they dont block line of sight and they sure as hell dont stop you from disembarking from if you have glued the doors shut.

You dont measure the on-board gun from the edge of the doors either., to assault, you have to reach the pillars of the DP