PDA

View Full Version : ungrim ironfist

lector#1
20-02-2014, 13:51
Hey guys just wanted thoughts on ungrim I am currently building up a model for him but I want to know what units I should run in his army obviously slayers in under 2k points I have him with a unit of 20 but I dont know what units compliment tge slayers any help would be great

thanks

White_13oy
20-02-2014, 15:04
He is a boss, a beast, destroyer of worlds. Im using a horde of 50 slayers with him and it so far has been effective. Tbh, you get more outta hammerers since they're two attacks and strength four, but slayer do hold their own. I think anything that works for normal dwarphs would be good for him. Though you do want an anvil unit like longbeards with a runesmith. Then depending if you wanna play fluffy or not, a bsb with the 5++ save vs shooting is helpfull. I do it because a slayer should be dying in melee and not by an arrow.

InstantKarma
20-02-2014, 15:30
He is a boss, a beast, destroyer of worlds. Im using a horde of 50 slayers with him and it so far has been effective. Tbh, you get more outta hammerers since they're two attacks and strength four, but slayer do hold their own. I think anything that works for normal dwarphs would be good for him. Though you do want an anvil unit like longbeards with a runesmith. Then depending if you wanna play fluffy or not, a bsb with the 5++ save vs shooting is helpfull. I do it because a slayer should be dying in melee and not by an arrow.

I thought the only characters who can join Slayer units are Slayers, so that would rule out the BSB.

Zinch
20-02-2014, 16:09
I thought the only characters who can join Slayer units are Slayers, so that would rule out the BSB.

The BSB can be in another unit near the slayers, the rune has a range of 6"

White_13oy
20-02-2014, 23:02
Its range it 12" now.

bigbiggles
21-02-2014, 03:08
Can't unbreakable characters only join unbreakable units? So he would have to go with slayers or go it alone

White_13oy
21-02-2014, 06:20
Ungrim go in the slayers, the bsb go into another unit and passes around the ward save.

Zinch
21-02-2014, 11:42
Its range it 12" now.

Unless there is a typo in the spanish book (wich I wouldn't mind if it is ;) ), its range is 6"...

MasterSplinter
21-02-2014, 11:42
Its range it 12" now.

The banner is 6" in range. Bsb radius is 12" if you meant that.

lector#1
21-02-2014, 14:01
I really like slayers and ungrim but the squishiness of the slayer unit worries me is there any builds for a normal lord that are on par or better than ungrim so I can hide him in a unit of hammerers??

InstantKarma
21-02-2014, 14:11
I really like slayers and ungrim but the squishiness of the slayer unit worries me is there any builds for a normal lord that are on par or better than ungrim so I can hide him in a unit of hammerers??

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?389836-The-Runesmith-s-Forge

Thats what we're talking about over here, to keep the main tactics thread neat and tidy :p

WhispersofBlood
21-02-2014, 17:19
Slayers aren't that much squishier than a normal dwarf with a great weapon, and several times more flexible. I would do maybe 7x3 and call it a day. With a 1/3 chance of hatred, deathblow and slayer weapons they can kill whatever. You are going to want the ward save against shooting but in most combats the 5+ armour on a hammerer isn't going to swing the combat, but being immune to TK cats, and unbreakable has its uses.

White_13oy
21-02-2014, 19:17
Ah you are correct, it is 6". I was thinking of the SOC one.

Saldiven
21-02-2014, 20:54

Slayer "squishiness" is a good thing.

As pointed out by another post, T4 with no save isn't that much squishier than T4 with a 5+ against anything stronger than S3. However, Slayers hit back when they die, whereas everything else in the army just dies. They're especially good against enemyes with I2 or less or with ASL, as in those cases, the Slayers can get their normal attacks and then extra attacks when they die. Even against higher I enemies, when a Warrior or Longbeard or Hammerer gets hit by an Executioner or White Lion, he's just dead; the Slayer punches the dirty elf right in the nose on the way out.

InstantKarma
22-02-2014, 13:47
Seems like Vetock found a good way to make sure people don't just ignore Slayers on their way to the Hammerers.