PDA

View Full Version : is there an egyptian/aztec/oriental based loyalist chapter?

Camman1984
21-02-2014, 11:21
I know there are chapter based on ancient armies but i fancied something a bit different for my custom chapter. Ancient Egyptian, aztec, or oriental styles spring to mind and i have seen some interesting custom parts.

Are there existing loyalist chapters that cover these. I know greek, rome, grome, norse, mongolian etc are covered.

CasaHouse
21-02-2014, 11:27
Scars, the recent heresy book paints the White Scars as less barbaric and more oriental. So there's that.

Asi the Red
21-02-2014, 15:57
Don't the Mantis Warriors have an oriental style? They sided with the Astral Claws in the Badab war, but repented so I'd characterize them as being loyalists.

cornonthecob
21-02-2014, 16:04
Egyptian is generally the Thousand Sons theme, Aztec was one interpretation of the Rainbow Warriors theme and there are a few fan and original chapters that have a asian/oriental theme, never seen a indian theme though.

Camman1984
21-02-2014, 16:22
Never really thought about an indian theme (the subcontinent one). I know the dark angels have a load of native american indian vibes going on.

Marshal_Loss
21-02-2014, 16:40
No, there aren't, so just make your own up, unless by 'oriental' you mean White Scars who are probably as Oriental as Space Marines get in official lore (aka not very)

Bellerophon
21-02-2014, 17:34
Never really thought about an indian theme (the subcontinent one). I know the dark angels have a load of native american indian vibes going on.

I never understood where people see the Native American themes in the Dark Angels? The Raven Guard are heavily based off of Native American culture though.

ForgottenLore
21-02-2014, 17:42
I never understood where people see the Native American themes in the Dark Angels? The Raven Guard are heavily based off of Native American culture though.
A supplement for the old version of space hulk had a background piece that pretty unmistakably flavors them Native American. I think other bits of fluff from the same era also advanced that theme. So, it's very old fluff, but you know GW, nothing in the background is every totally invalidated.

Lord Damocles
21-02-2014, 17:53
One of the Dark Angels' recruiting worlds had a native American flavour, but their greater theme is (and was) monastic/knightly.

The various feathers on Ravenwing/Deathwing models, and the feathered headdresses of the classic Master/Captain as well as the more recently updated version are about all of the influence to make it onto the models.

Telemachus
21-02-2014, 18:27
At the back of the How to Paint Space Marines book there's a chapter by Victoria Lamb called The Emperor's Shadows -

Camman1984
21-02-2014, 18:28
Oriental was just a catch all for japanese,chinese,mongol(forgot the scars) etc without having to list them. Have seen an excellent samurai style grey knights army before.

The native american thing is from way back when i started collecting them they had bits of it, and the feathered adornments are just a splash of it for flavour.

tezdal
23-02-2014, 19:45
Didn't the Rainbow Warriors have a Native American theme?

Brother Vaneb
23-02-2014, 20:34
Golden Demon about 15 years ago a guy did some Ronin marines. That could be in one of the 300 white dwarves I've got so I won't go looking! Looked cool.

Nazguire
24-02-2014, 12:31

You mean Victorian England, surely.

Fangschrecken
25-02-2014, 03:39
You mean Victorian England, surely.

You know, I could certainly see Corax going off and becoming Lord Jim on some back water after the heresy. I like that angle, thanks.

Melvaius
26-02-2014, 00:11
The Carcharadons (Space Sharks) seem to have a Polynesian vibe going on.

Nazguire
26-02-2014, 12:13
You know, I could certainly see Corax going off and becoming Lord Jim on some back water after the heresy. I like that angle, thanks.

Did laugh/10

The entirety of the Raven Guard and Corax is based on Edgar Allen Poe. Unless Edgar Allen Poe married Pocahontas sometime that I'm not aware of, Victorian England is the influence on the Raven Guard. There might be some Native American influence on the Raven Guard somewhere, if you squint your eyes, but the overwhelming feature is Poe's 'Raven' poem.

theres a Sergeant Allenpo for Christ sake. Not Sergeant Apache of the Raven tribe up past Spirit River.

Leftenant Gashrog
27-02-2014, 20:48
What does the American author Edgar Allen Poe who started his writing career before Queen Victoria took the throne have to do with Victorian England?

madprophet
02-03-2014, 02:56
Egyptian is generally the Thousand Sons theme, Aztec was one interpretation of the Rainbow Warriors theme and there are a few fan and original chapters that have a asian/oriental theme, never seen a indian theme though.

Fighting Tigers of Veda (http://fightingtigersofveda.com) FTW

tezdal
02-03-2014, 04:36
Did laugh/10

The entirety of the Raven Guard and Corax is based on Edgar Allen Poe. Unless Edgar Allen Poe married Pocahontas sometime that I'm not aware of, Victorian England is the influence on the Raven Guard. There might be some Native American influence on the Raven Guard somewhere, if you squint your eyes, but the overwhelming feature is Poe's 'Raven' poem.

theres a Sergeant Allenpo for Christ sake. Not Sergeant Apache of the Raven tribe up past Spirit River.

Pocahontas and Poe both lived in Virginia pretty near each other geographically, if not at the same time.

Nazguire
02-03-2014, 05:26
Apologies. Still don't understand how that equates to Native American interest.