PDA

View Full Version : If GW wants tyranid players to quit, fine, I quit.

Kburn
21-02-2014, 14:11
My last post here too, firing off my parting shot.

This is a hobby that I've invested heaps of money and time in. It is not cheap, and a lot of effort, pride, and feeling has been put into earning money to buy, assemble, paint, and form an army with the tyranids I like.

Yet, for all the investment I have made, GW has created a subpar rule system not once, but twice in a row, that invalidates 80% of my army each time, shows little to no signs of playtesting, obvious author's biasses and just pure laziness. Playing flyrant, venthrope, harpy monobuild should not be the ONLY way to play in order to win once in awhile. So many mini companies has proven time and time again, even miniature companies that are at a miniscule fraction compared to the juggernaut that is GW, such as infinity, has proven that it is possible to have multiple factions that are balanced, and can be played with almost any combination of miniatures. It is just a clear reflection of their laziness, and contempt they show towards their customers, that they can produce twice in a row, the tyranid codex.

I like losing in a fair fight. I do not like winning in an unfair fight. I do not like repetitively losing in a game, which I've invested so much in, and not just in monetary terms, but in terms of effort, pride and time.

I'm not going to smash my painstakingly painted gaunts. I'm not going to write them a letter, I'm voting with my wallet - Corvus Belli, Privateer Press, Catalyst Games Labs will be the future recipients of my disposable income, and I will never ever buy, read or invest anymore time in a GW product. I am boycotting GW, and will gladly inform anyone I meet in the scene about how GW has treated me as a customer. I will sell all my miniatures and books on the 2nd hand market, denying GW at least, the income they would have made selling those products to another person. While it is sad that I am jumping ship because of abuse, I am happy to discover products as a result of this abuse, and realise that there are far superior products out there, which will infinitely bring me more enjoyment.

Goodbye warseer. I have been here since the portent days, and it has been a great ride.

Fear Ghoul
21-02-2014, 14:22
Why do you need to quite Warseer? Aren't there sub-forums for other game systems on here?

IcedCrow
21-02-2014, 14:25
I know you aren't going to like me saying this but barring super min/max play, if you are losing every game with your tyranids, then you need to invest some patience in learning how to use them properly. Now if min/max play is where you want to play, then sure GW games are probably not for you unless you happen to play the flavor of the year (right now being eldar or tau or demons)

Otherwise - good luck!

Surgency
21-02-2014, 14:30
I'm not sure why you felt we all had to know

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reinholt
21-02-2014, 14:33

I'm not sure why you felt the need to read it, and then take the additional effort to say something.

For my part, I understand the sentiment. I've basically shelved my bugs after playtesting the new codex a bunch (something GW clearly didn't do) and PP is getting a bunch of the money that would have been going to GW.

So this is not a one-time occurrence.

rocdocta
21-02-2014, 14:34

Well there is no way to vent to GW so this is as close as he can get to letting others know what he is feeling. I feel the same way as him. Wont sell the models but will hold onto them in the hope that in 4 years time the codex will be good again and not the slapped together rubbish it is now.

Grocklock
21-02-2014, 14:35

Quiting warhammer is like going to the gym if you don't make a big deal about it. Then it doesn't mean anything.

But I do think its sad that someone has left the comunitee and I hope you find fun in the next game you play.

bork da basher
21-02-2014, 14:40
i know a few very annoyed tyranid players who feel utterly let down by 2 codex's in a row that are pretty terrible. they are all looking to sell their armies and replace them with something better, they aren't quite ready to quit entirely but i can see how it could easily make you feel that way. there are plenty of good games out there and companies who make quality rules systems that are far better balanced than anything GW can come close to. they thrive off GW's contempt for their customer base, most of their customers are disgruntled ex GW gamers. iv'e quit GW a couple of times in previous years myself and gone to play some truly excellent games because of it. the problem is in my area theres virtually no one playing anything other than GW stuff so it's kind of forced me back to them or give up the hobby entirely.

Theocracity
21-02-2014, 14:40
I'm not sure you can blame GW just because you didn't want to change your list, or felt artificially constrained by internet cookie cutter builds. It's fair to gripe about how they handle certain things, like prices, but then we all do that whether we're boycotting or not.

I'm also confused by the need to declare that you're quitting. It's perfectly easy to vote with your wallet and still participate in the hobby. Plus, I 'quit' 40K all the time, whenever there's another recreational activity I'm interested in or life just gets in the way. It's not a club you have to pay membership dues to stay in.

Relax, enjoy other activities, and don't feel like you have to take the hobby or what's said on Warseer quite so seriously.

Surgency
21-02-2014, 14:52
Well there is no way to vent to GW so this is as close as he can get to letting others know what he is feeling. I feel the same way as him. Wont sell the models but will hold onto them in the hope that in 4 years time the codex will be good again and not the slapped together rubbish it is now.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to read it, and then take the additional effort to say something.

For my part, I understand the sentiment. I've basically shelved my bugs after playtesting the new codex a bunch (something GW clearly didn't do) and PP is getting a bunch of the money that would have been going to GW.

So this is not a one-time occurrence.

So rather than post in the 4 "I hatez me some Nidz" threads that already exist, we have to create a brand new thread about how horrible GW is and how the latest reason of the month (Tyranids) drove another loyal customer away. Okay. And? Its not like we haven't seen "I quit because GW hates me" threads before.

Quiting warhammer is like going to the gym if you don't make a big deal about it. Then it doesn't mean anything.

I think this is the important part here. Someone wants to get noticed

Denny
21-02-2014, 14:58
While it is sad that I am jumping ship because of abuse, I am happy to discover products as a result of this abuse, and realise that there are far superior products out there, which will infinitely bring me more enjoyment.

I sincerely hope you never have to find out what itís like to actually be abused.
(Hint: having a collection of plastic models rendered less than optimal by rule changes is unlikely to be adequate preparation . . .)

wyvirn
21-02-2014, 15:17
O.K., bye..

Horus38
21-02-2014, 15:18
Sad to see you go, but ultimately this comes off as a whine. I've always dabbled with Tyranids and they're my "fun" army. I play them how I want to play them and they do just fine in a semi-competitive club. I love the models and they've been a treat to put together/paint, sorry they don't offer the incredible power builds you're apparently after.

gwarsh41
21-02-2014, 15:28
If you are going to sell, could you post the link to your acution/swap thread? In your rage, you should sell them super cheap, just to spite GW and show them how well things sell at a reasonable price.

To save you some trouble of looking, I am interested in buying!

T10
21-02-2014, 15:47

If you rage-quit and nobody hears then you just quit.

-T10

Theocracity
21-02-2014, 16:03
If you rage-quit and nobody hears then you just quit.

-T10

If a rage quitter posts on a forum, and no one keeps bumping the thread to rehash existing arguments, does he actually quit? ;)

Langdon
21-02-2014, 16:05
*DING DING*

ROUND 5

We have 2 "perfectly" serviceable threads to complain in.. do we need to start a 5th?

If you want to quit, go for it.

Dragging Flavour of The Month under the bus is a really ****** way of handling things.

DoctorTom
21-02-2014, 16:10
Wouldn't a simpler first step be to talk with the people you game with and see if they'd be willing to let you play with the 4th ed Nid Codex?

Spiney Norman
21-02-2014, 16:39
Not producing an overpowered codex for your favourite army is here defined as "abuse"? I think you may have a hard time making that stick anywhere that matters...

Try being an Adepta Sororitas player

mostlyharmless
21-02-2014, 16:53
From what I have read, the tyranids seem to be doing quite well. It doesn't fall to GW to give you a powerful codex. It falls to you to use generalship and win with the tools you like/have. That's how I won with 6th Edition Dark Elves, and Black Templars before they got folded into Space Marines. I've played, and won, with underpowered codices and army books for years. It take a bit of ingenuity, and, to be honest, a bit of luck. If you have lost faith in your own skill as a general and decided to take it out on the company that produces the product, it is no skin off our collective noses. Have fun playing other games. I wish you the best.

That said, can I have your stuff? I've always wanted to give 'nids a try, but I've been too busy with my Tau to bother with them.

Grocklock
21-02-2014, 16:54
Wouldn't a simpler first step be to talk with the people you game with and see if they'd be willing to let you play with the 4th ed Nid Codex?

Wow what kind of game do you think this is, it's no social event.
All games of 40k are either hardcore torniment games run by gods who decide how the game is to by played. Or they have to be pick up games with complete strangers who will never let you play with anything you want.if you try and have any discussion then the world will implode.

Any other way that is played it done by the people on the outside of socioty but there not real gamers.

Anyway pre game discussion along with variantions on how the game is to be played comes from GW. So therefore must be evil and avoided.

Grocklock
21-02-2014, 16:57
It doesn't fall to GW to give you a powerful codex. It falls to you to use generalship and win with the tools you like/have..

This a thousand times

InstantKarma
21-02-2014, 17:15
I'm not sure you can blame GW just because you didn't want to change your list, or felt artificially constrained by internet cookie cutter builds. It's fair to gripe about how they handle certain things, like prices, but then we all do that whether we're boycotting or not.

I'm also confused by the need to declare that you're quitting. It's perfectly easy to vote with your wallet and still participate in the hobby. Plus, I 'quit' 40K all the time, whenever there's another recreational activity I'm interested in or life just gets in the way. It's not a club you have to pay membership dues to stay in.

Relax, enjoy other activities, and don't feel like you have to take the hobby or what's said on Warseer quite so seriously.

Wisdom here. Avoid melodrama and just enjoy the models you have, play the game if you like, or just take a break.

Or shoot, try a different army. As a Tau player I got to languish around mid-low tier of the 'competitive' range since 2003, and yah, this update has been very kind.

Grndhog89
21-02-2014, 17:23
Why do you need to quite Warseer? Aren't there sub-forums for other game systems on here?

Let him go if he actually is quitting. One less whiner.

Grndhog89
21-02-2014, 17:26
*DING DING*

ROUND 5

We have 2 "perfectly" serviceable threads to complain in.. do we need to start a 5th?

If you want to quit, go for it.

Dragging Flavour of The Month under the bus is a really ****** way of handling things.

I kind of want a CSM whine thread to come back instead. Those were more fun to argue over and had more things to argue about.

Spiney Norman
21-02-2014, 17:29
Wisdom here. Avoid melodrama and just enjoy the models you have, play the game if you like, or just take a break.

Or shoot, try a different army. As a Tau player I got to languish around mid-low tier of the 'competitive' range since 2003, and yah, this update has been very kind.

I certainly don't begrudge tau players their time in the sun, if their current good fortune is karmic payback for all the years of mediocrity I'm hoping that if and when my Adepta Sororitas finally get a proper codex they'll have it measured with the same generous scoop.

Scribe of Khorne
21-02-2014, 17:42
I kind of want a CSM whine thread to come back instead. Those were more fun to argue over and had more things to argue about.

No kidding. I would rather play Nids than CSM any day, every day, of the week. Like, great, release some helbrutes, who is going to buy them?

naloth
21-02-2014, 17:47
I certainly don't begrudge tau players their time in the sun, if their current good fortune is karmic payback for all the years of mediocrity I'm hoping that if and when my Adepta Sororitas finally get a proper codex they'll have it measured with the same generous scoop.

I'd go for a better nod to balance and less of power creep/fluctuation determining the winner.

Inquisitor Shego
21-02-2014, 17:50

WHO SUMMONS ME?!!?!?!?!?!?

All the best to the player quitting though. I'm not going to do the usual "Oh fine, one less whiner" nonsense because that comes across like some desperate apologist unaware of a consumer's rights to quit. I'm also not going to tell you to stay or point out the reasons its not so bad, because the reality is the codex could be more imaginative or powerful, but for some it still wouldn't be enough. Each gamer has their limits. It can be overplaying the hobby and finding it boring. It can be finding the prices are just too high now (I consider myself pushed out of fantasy). It can be that you don't like the fluff, or you've got car payments, or mortgage payments.

I saw the Lego Movie the other day and I think the ending really reminded me of myself as a veteran now vs myself as a fun gamer not caring about balance and out to tell a story. I've just come to accept though if there's something I hate now, I simply don't play it. I don't give it my time or money. I don't need to let the world know though, because I'm usually spending that money elsewhere. I still do GW, but I'm also delving into:

World of Tanks
Flames of War
Heroclix
Infinity
RP Systems
X-Wing Miniatures Game
Mechwarrior/Battletech

There is plenty out there. I think GW is doing a great job all things considered, but don't consider leaving GW a bad thing, so much as broadening your horizons :D

Minsc
21-02-2014, 17:57
OP; Can I have your stuff? :)

stormtrooper154
21-02-2014, 18:03
Good bye then.

Someone else will buy Tyranids instead of you.

Inquisitor Shego
21-02-2014, 18:04
Good bye then.

Someone else will buy Tyranids instead of you.

The correct term is "others will continue to buy Tyranids." You imply there was someone waiting in the wings specifically for him/her to quit :p

IcedCrow
21-02-2014, 18:07
So how bout them CSM? God I love my thousand sons. They can be so over powered ;)

ashc
21-02-2014, 18:31
If anyone cares, I quietly quit playing CSMs because they have a terrible book.

I guess that is not so quiet now though. ..

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

skorczeny
21-02-2014, 18:58
I really don't understand leaving the hobby because the army and models you love receive poor rules.

Rules are subject to change all the time. Your models are not.

IcedCrow
21-02-2014, 19:00
When a quarterback is playing on a crappy team and wants to win world championship gold... he requests an immediate trade to a new team :)

ASSASSINAWOKEN
21-02-2014, 19:10
I quit CSM as soon as I opened the Dark Vengeance Box. Then I unquit and bought the CSM codex and quit again still on the sprue, lol.

Shelving is a much better plan than full quitting as it leaves room to come back.

naloth
21-02-2014, 19:11
When a quarterback is playing on a crappy team and wants to win world championship gold... he requests an immediate trade to a new team :)

They certainly don't find the worst player in the school and put him on the starting line up.

DoctorTom
21-02-2014, 19:13

It would be nice to see Adepta Sororitas get at least the Dark Eldar treatment for an army coming back. Then again, if we're looking for karma payback then if they ever come out with a new codex for squats/demiurge/whatever they call them, I hope they get the same care and consideration.

Lord Damocles
21-02-2014, 19:22
Goodbye. Try not to get abused by the door on the way out.

Also, wasn't the change from Portent pre-2009..?

IcedCrow
21-02-2014, 19:25
Portent changed over in 2005. You had to create new user accounts. (see my profile info for example)

Wintermute
21-02-2014, 19:26
Also, wasn't the change from Portent post-2009..?

No WarSeer was established in March 2005.

BTW this thread has no further purpose

Thread Closed

Wintermute