PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs to get a new Anvil?

Craze_b0i
21-02-2014, 16:42
Since Darnock locked the original thread in rumours I thought I'd move the discussion here. In the new armybook the rules wording has been significantly changed. First the anvil has regained movement, second it's rules now contain this statement "the runesmith may not dismount". To me this seems like a strong hint that they will eventually release a new model. Darnok has argued that this is purely wishful thinking on my part. However I'd be interested to hear some other thoughts on this... What do you guys think? Were the anvil rules amended with a potential new model in mind? Or am I just being overly optimistic?

Link to current model: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1160129a

Pic: 187789

InstantKarma
21-02-2014, 16:57
I thought they couldn't leave the Anvil in the previous book? Seems like saying he cannot 'dismount' is just to clarify that once you have paid the points and attached the Runelord to the anvil, he ain't going anywhere. Also the Shieldbearers for a Dwarf Lord have the same rule (ie, 'counts as one model, cannot dismount'). It really just seems like the rule is to prevent the player from trying to save the Runelord by having him 'detach' from the Anvil if things get harry.

That being said however, it at least seems more likely it could get a new model given the new release schedule we're under. Model releases don't seem to be tied strictly to army updates, and the current model looks a bit hokey, and is also technically a special character. Since we've seen box set releases that are including a 'normal' character option and Special Character option for building, it seems that this could be a very real possibility. I just don't think we should expect it soon, and nor do I think the new armybook has left us any hints that it will be happening. I think at this point it is some good educated guesswork.

Malagor
21-02-2014, 17:07
I think it's just wishful thinking even tho I think the current model is awesome.
The different wording is only natural due to the age of the previous book

Avian
21-02-2014, 17:15
Presumably there will be a plastic model *eventually*. I wouldn't bet on one anytime soon, though.

Is there new artwork for it in the book?

Malagor
21-02-2014, 17:18
The artwork for the runelord/smiths and Thorek shows the current model.

Darnok
21-02-2014, 18:01
The only thing that changed are its rules. The artwork shows a stationary anvil, the old model stays. A new anvil would be welcomed by me, and I'd love to see what GW does with the concept. If it is anything like the jump from the metal DE CoB to the new plastic one... we're in for an awesome model.

But not now, or even soon.

Bergen Beerbelly
21-02-2014, 18:12
considering you mount the model of Thorek and the two anvil guards on the circular base for the Anvil and it all counts as one model, that is what they are referring to. Once you buy the Anvil you cannot take the Runelord off of the anvil and put him in a unit, he has to stay on the circular base.

AverageBoss
21-02-2014, 18:14
The current rules for the Black Coach has it pulled by Nightmares. We are still using the Skeletal Steed drawn version. A rules change does not equal a model change.

Craze_b0i
21-02-2014, 18:28
considering you mount the model of Thorek and the two anvil guards on the circular base for the Anvil and it all counts as one model, that is what they are referring to. Once you buy the Anvil you cannot take the Runelord off of the anvil and put him in a unit, he has to stay on the circular base.

Yes I know what it refers to rule-wise. I am just talking about the way it's worded.

Cassius105
21-02-2014, 18:58
Really if they had a new model in the pipeline I think they would have made it worth taking.

However you are correct that the new weekly releases does mean armies are more likely to get new models without a new book so I wouldnt be surprised if we saw some of the other metal models get replacements like the slayers

Craze_b0i
21-02-2014, 19:04
Presumably there will be a plastic model *eventually*. I wouldn't bet on one anytime soon, though.

Is there new artwork for it in the book?

Yes there is new artwork. Whereas the old artwork showed Thorek on a battlefield the new artwork is more ambiguous. Thorek could be either on a battlefield or inside a dwarf hold. It's not quite clear what he's doing. It looks like he's using his hammer to perform some kind of alien autopsy.

Avian
21-02-2014, 19:06
But the Anvil looks like the current one, and not like the old one, right?

Malagor
21-02-2014, 19:06
You can still clearly see the anvil behind Thorek and that it has the same look as the model.

Malagor
21-02-2014, 19:09
Correct, both images of the anvil shows the current model.

InstantKarma
21-02-2014, 19:35
But the Thorek in the artwork looks rather different from the current model, and his hammer looks cooler too:D

Craze_b0i
21-02-2014, 19:45
You can still clearly see the anvil behind Thorek and that it has the same look as the model.

Yes the anvil itself still looks the same (no wheels). My point was simply that he might be using it inside the hold.

Malagor
21-02-2014, 19:48
Not that much different, besides the belt and the horns looking a bit longer it's pretty much spot on. And yeah the hammer looks bigger in the artwork but I doubt they will update the model just so he can get a slightly bigger hammer :p

Darnok
21-02-2014, 21:32
Yes there is new artwork. Whereas the old artwork showed Thorek on a battlefield the new artwork is more ambiguous. Thorek could be either on a battlefield or inside a dwarf hold. It's not quite clear what he's doing. It looks like he's using his hammer to perform some kind of alien autopsy.

Not trying to step on your toes, but this is a clear case of wishful thinking.

In both the artworks depicting an anvil - both the generic Runesmith/Runelord one and Thorek - there is no sign whatsoever pointing towards a "mobile" version. Both are based on solid stonework, nothing suggests anything other than the model we already have.

Craze_b0i
21-02-2014, 22:12
Not trying to step on your toes, but this is a clear case of wishful thinking.

In both the artworks depicting an anvil - both the generic Runesmith/Runelord one and Thorek - there is no sign whatsoever pointing towards a "mobile" version. Both are based on solid stonework, nothing suggests anything other than the model we already have.

Except if the anvil were inside the hold inside his workshop that is exactly what you would expect. I am not saying that the picture proves anything, all I am saying is that it could represent the anvil being inside a hold.

TBH though the pictures don't really bother me one way or the other, the artist can only draw the current model. Of more interest to me is the fact the platform can now move.

Darnok
21-02-2014, 22:18
Well. I'd put my money into this: we might see a new anvil model, but not before October/November. And no, I can not back that up with anything more than a gut feeling.*

P.S.: * ... usually my gut feeling is better informed than yours though. :p

Craze_b0i
21-02-2014, 22:27
Well. I'd put my money into this: we might see a new anvil model, but not before October/November. And no, I can not back that up with anything more than a gut feeling.*

P.S.: * ... usually my gut feeling is better informed than yours though. :p

Well that is more or less what I was predicting anyway, that the anvil would be part of a 2nd wave released in future. :) I wasn't expecting them to release it next week or anything like that.

Darnok
21-02-2014, 22:34
I think I'm actually wishing as much for a new model as you do. Maybe even more...

Gratan
21-02-2014, 23:08
I too would love a new Anvil in plastic. Whether its just a recut of what we already have or a whole newly designed model, I wont be using an anvil until it gets a plastic release.

I'm also hoping for a plastic Grudge/Bolt Thrower dual kit...Hopefully sooner than later...

bigbiggles
21-02-2014, 23:56
Well if they do get a new model I don't know how they will sell it. Since the current model looks great but the new rules make it not the best choice

moonlapse
22-02-2014, 01:30
Well if they do get a new model I don't know how they will sell it. Since the current model looks great but the new rules make it not the best choice

I'm with you, no one will buy the blasted thing. Doesn't matter how good it looks, unless they update or alter the rules for it then a new anvil model is just rubbing salt in the wound.

WLBjork
22-02-2014, 03:42
It will almost certainly dual kit with something else, whenever it is released.

One of the rumours was of an anvil/throne dual kit, which sounded interesting.

Bhrymm
22-02-2014, 14:20
My thought is, looking at the models released, GW certainly seems to have used space marines for "inspiration" in the model design of the Dwarfs. They also put out a lot of codex supplements for 40k armies. What if they decided to start doing that with Fantasy. I could easily see them doing a Slayer army supplement, Runelord focused supplement and/or and engineers guild supplement and tie in model reales with that.. The slayer one would be so easy to do.

Avian
22-02-2014, 16:48
The problem with that is that the 40K codex supplements don't come with model tie-ins.

Spiney Norman
22-02-2014, 17:06

Perhaps alongside the dwarfs 10th edition army book? Dwarfs don't seem popular enough to get waves (or even an army book every edition...). Let's just say I'm not optimistic.

Urgat
22-02-2014, 17:09
The current rules for the Black Coach has it pulled by Nightmares. We are still using the Skeletal Steed drawn version. A rules change does not equal a model change.
And the doomdiver has always been supposed to be able to move, but when you look at the model, well... :p

Voss
22-02-2014, 18:17
And the doomdiver has always been supposed to be able to move, but when you look at the model, well... :p

Gobbos are good at hauling stuff. Though admittedly, when I think of the doom diver, I just think of the old giant slingshot on wheels.

WLBjork
23-02-2014, 05:58
Perhaps alongside the dwarfs 10th edition army book? Dwarfs don't seem popular enough to get waves (or even an army book every edition...). Let's just say I'm not optimistic.

Presumably it will be whenever the mould is ready for replacement.

Not sure how long the moulds will last, and I suspect that they make a few moulds for the metal/finecast models due to their shorter lifespan.

Couple that with a high points cost model that you might field one of in your army, the current anvil could well be around for some time.

Craze_b0i
24-02-2014, 01:57
I suppose if we get lucky someone might drop the current mould accidentally.

lbecks
24-02-2014, 02:03
If they made a new one they should just pack it with extra characters like the Cauldron of Blood.