PDA

View Full Version : List building

MasterDecoy
22-02-2014, 09:00
Simple question:

When you build your army list, do you build it with the intention of wiping your opponent off the field as quickly as possible?

Or do you build it with the intention of completing objectives? (I'm aware that killing as many enemy units as possible is sometimes the objective, but theoreticaly that should be in the vast minority of games, and that holding objectives would be the primary focus)

Do you only consider taking units for either their ability to smash absolute face or the fact that they are neigh impossible to destroy ?(or a unit that buffs (an)other unit(s) to do those things)

Or do you consider units beyond their raw killing/resistance potential?

Do your units have to make their points back in kills top be considered useful?

Or are you happy for a unit to contribute "nothing" to the battle but it's mere presence? (perhaps it stood on an objective for 6 Strait turns and didn't fire a single shot in the game)

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Kakapo42
22-02-2014, 09:10
None of the above for me really. Writing army lists is easily my least favourite part of the hobby, and I largely consider it a means to an end. When I come up with an army list it is for the sole purpose of translating the force I imagine in my head and write up in my background into a table-top friendly format. This will inevitably be full of units taken purely because I think they look awesome and/or that I love the background of, and any in-game effectiveness derived from them is simply gravy.

Building on that, once it is written I will almost never change an army list, because I consider my force to be a cast of characters that I wish to chronicle the adventures of, viewing each game with them like a chapter in a book or an episode in a TV series.

Grand Master Azrael
22-02-2014, 09:36
None of the above for me really. Writing army lists is easily my least favourite part of the hobby, and I largely consider it a means to an end. When I come up with an army list it is for the sole purpose of translating the force I imagine in my head and write up in my background into a table-top friendly format. This will inevitably be full of units taken purely because I think they look awesome and/or that I love the background of, and any in-game effectiveness derived from them is simply gravy.

Building on that, once it is written I will almost never change an army list, because I consider my force to be a cast of characters that I wish to chronicle the adventures of, viewing each game with them like a chapter in a book or an episode in a TV series.

I am the opposite: I love to write army lists, although I do agree with making it fluffy. For example, my same Dark Angels Task Force has been fighting the enemies of the Imperium for almost 3 years now.

Pssyche
22-02-2014, 11:30
My lists vary from game to game, by virtue of what I feel like fielding.
I've got over 18,000 Points of painted and based Eldar and I don't want them just staying in boxes for the rest of their lives.

Camman1984
22-02-2014, 12:23
I usually use a process similar to this

1. Pick a theme
2. Set exclusion criteria, for example my eldar must not contain units that cant move 12"+ in a turn
3. Shortlist units that i can potentially use
4. Write a list that contains my favourite elements of said list
5. Tweak list for the level of competitiveness required without breaking step 2

For example my raptor list

1. Theme is infantry heavy, stealth lines with ambush from the flanks.
2. All units other than the outflankers must be 'quiet' and realistically able to hide. This excludes tanks, dreads, anything bulky or very bulky like centurions, no fortifications.
3. After those exclusions my list includes most hq's, in troops it is scouts and tacticals, elites is sternguard, fast attack is assaultmarines without jump packs, i allow dedicated rhinos in the ambush wing. Heavy support is devastators.
4. I love sternguard and devastators so they are in, they are my firebase so 10 sternies and 2/3 dev squads standard. I also love scouts and they are very in theme so some camp snipers are added to get my objectives. I also need an ambush wing and both tacticals and assault marines can take outflanking dedicated transports, in they go. As for HQ, no beefy biker for me (too loud and bulky) must be on foot and match theme, just happenes that lias issodon is exceptionally good for my army so he joins the sternguard. Running low on points now so move on to
5. Special weapons and heavy weapons based on requirements in predicted meta. A few models added to devastators for ablative wounds. Finally choice between razorbacks and rhino based on previous choices.

Probably more info than you needed but i quite enjoy writing fluffy but reasonably competitive lists and fancied sharing.

T10
22-02-2014, 12:25
When I make a list I usually start by taking as many units as I want from the Troops section. This is rarely the minimum number of troops: For the moment my Space Marine army usually includes 5 Troop choices (3 tactical, 2 scouts), and then I pick units that inspire me at the moment: One day I might want to use Terminators (perhaps just a few, perhaps a lot!) , or I might want to use a lot of mechanized units, adding Rhinos and Predators.

I rarely start out with a specific plan on how to wipe out the enemy, but I often play the same opponents. If my army works, I use it for a couple of games (it takes time to build an army list and pick out the models), if the army doesn't work I sometimes swap out a few units and try something different. My opponents tend to do the same thing, use what works until conditions change.

After a number of games with what is essentially the same army I may very well get bored with it and build a new one from scratch. Maybe a Land Speeder oriented army is next month's flavour?

-T10

Sir Didymus
22-02-2014, 16:30
I start with a conceptual idea of what models I want and how I want Them to play. Step two is all about making it happen within the points limit, and finetuning each unit.

Mandragola
22-02-2014, 20:15
I usually play my games at events of one sort or other, so design I lists for specific events based on the rules pack, comp rules, competitiveness and points value to be used. I'm currently working on an army to take to a campaign weekend at warhammer world in 2 weeks, where there will be games of kill team, then from 1000 to 3000 points in 40k. A month or so after that I'll be going to a heavily-comped tournament, and a month or so later a comp-free tournament.

So this requires three lists that will be very different. The warhammer world thing is just for fun, so there's no need to play a strong list. I'll be using space marines without allies (or maybe a knight or two) but bringing in a bunch of forgeworld stuff, including my Typhon (maybe not in the 1000 point game) and expecting to meet all sorts of silliness coming the other way. The comped tournament requires a unique list design, because all units outside of troops will be 0-1 and a couple of forgeworld things will be allowed, but it will be a competitive set up so I'll build the best army I can to suit those conditions. Probably something able to kill wave serpents... whatever that might be! And then I haven't seen the rules pack for the tournament in May, so I can't really be sure what I'll bring for that yet but it's likely to feature the meanest, most horrible things I can get my grubby hands on. My Taudar are fairly likely to feature.

None of this "fluff" that I keep hearing of, obviosuly. My WHW lists won't be too bad but I'll have effective lists for the tournaments.

insectum7
22-02-2014, 21:15
Step 1: Pick theme and "look"
Step 2: Draft list, consider engagement strategy for probable opponent styles
Step 3: Fine tune with last 20% of points or so by filling in for probable shortcomings
Step 4: Get playing!

As for unit types, I like to build flexible lists without obvious lynchpins. Rarely do I rely on particular units for particular tasks, unless they are very cheap (like a Whirlwind). I like all my units to be able to engage multiple types of targets, this way my opponent will have a tough time hamstringing my list. I prefer lots of units working together, with lots of backup opportunities if the dice go bad on me for a round.

Moriarty
22-02-2014, 22:34
I play Orks, me. Objectives are for sissies. The only True Win is a wipe out.

WAAARGH!

'Course, doesn't work every time ..... ;-)

Ssilmath
22-02-2014, 22:42
1: Select theme. This can be a fluff theme (Thousand Sons) or a mechanical theme (All mechanized).
2: Start setting up troops. I rarely have less than 4 troops choices if I am at 1500 points or higher.
3: Finish out theme based on models painted and based.
4: Tweak list to include units I want to (I really wanted to use a Forgefiend my last game, so I fit it in).
5: Tweak list to cover weakness.

It's really not very hard to make a jerk list out of the 'best' units available. It's much tougher, and more rewarding to me, to make a friendly list (usually with plenty of 'subpar' units) that can still give my opponent a good game and be fun for everybody involved.

Sternguard777
23-02-2014, 03:48
I play Orks, me. Objectives are for sissies. The only True Win is a wipe out.

WAAARGH!

'Course, doesn't work every time ..... ;-)

My brother has the exact same play style.

I personally just build a list around whatever unit I want to use at the time. If I want to try out 3 Sternguard squads in pods I'll throw those in and then fill the rest around it to fit. Like using Kantor and give everything that can a locator beacon.

Grand Master Azrael
23-02-2014, 03:56
My brother has the exact same play style.

I personally just build a list around whatever unit I want to use at the time. If I want to try out 3 Sternguard squads in pods I'll throw those in and then fill the rest around it to fit. Like using Kantor and give everything that can a locator beacon.

Veterans ARE quite a lot of fun-Although I prefer Vanguard over Sternguard