PDA

View Full Version : Basing a pre-flying stand flyer

Son_Of_A_Horus
23-02-2014, 09:38
So, I'm looking at FW flyers that pre-date the new flying stands. Namely the nightwing interceptor and Phoenix.
Can anyone shed light on how to get these on flying bases?

Chaos is truth, embrace the truth

Hendarion
23-02-2014, 10:29
I made a tutorial how I had been basing mine.

Here you go:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?292117-Craftworld-Ynn-eal-Tan&p=6784359&viewfull=1#post6784359

Dezmord
23-02-2014, 10:31
I don't own one of those Flyers you've mentioned, but I have a Hell-Talon, that was also not intended to be used with a flying stand, before GW introduced them. Forgeworld just put a small (~1,5cm x 1,5cm and ~0,5cm high) piece of resin (with a "cross" cut into it) in the box and a flying stand (including base). I just had to fit the resin-Piece under the Talon and done.

Hendarion
23-02-2014, 10:35
Well, the Nightwing and Phoenix just came with the standard anti-grav-base and no cross whatsoever. The Phoenix doesn't even have a hole where to plug the anti-grav-base in. However, nowadays the models at least come with a modern flight stand, just that you can't put it anywhere at all. The Nightwing doesn't have enough space for the large cross at the belly and the Phoenix has the center of its mass exactly there, where the weapon-mount is. However, the solution used in my tutorial worked perfect both for my Nightwing and my Phoenixes.

Son_Of_A_Horus
23-02-2014, 10:53
Hendarion - thanks for the link. I'll have a read after the washing up is done..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshal
23-02-2014, 12:50
Well, the Nightwing and Phoenix just came with the standard anti-grav-base and no cross whatsoever. The Phoenix doesn't even have a hole where to plug the anti-grav-base in. However, nowadays the models at least come with a modern flight stand, just that you can't put it anywhere at all. The Nightwing doesn't have enough space for the large cross at the belly and the Phoenix has the center of its mass exactly there, where the weapon-mount is. However, the solution used in my tutorial worked perfect both for my Nightwing and my Phoenixes.

They do now though. It really is a slap on piece with very little thought in it and needs a bunch of greenstuff in order to put it on, and even then, I'd probably pin the hell out of it...

Hendarion
23-02-2014, 12:54
Naaa. I ordered one Phoenix recently and while it did came with a flight stand, I don't see how you would "slap it on" to the model at all. The centre or the mass is still exactly where the weapon mount is. Sure you can put on a blob of greenstuff, but that is a solution you can always do and always get weird looks. If they changed the model after my purchase, I'm open for a picture of it.

Marshal
23-02-2014, 13:12
Naaa. I ordered one Phoenix recently and while it did came with a flight stand, I don't see how you would "slap it on" to the model at all. The centre or the mass is still exactly where the weapon mount is. Sure you can put on a blob of greenstuff, but that is a solution you can always do and always get weird looks. If they changed the model after my purchase, I'm open for a picture of it.

Oh no, they didn't change any of the models. I didn't say it looked good, but it does come with them all now. It does take a bit of working with to get it to work by greenstuffing the crap out of it. When I said very little thought to it, I was meaning on Forgeworld's end as to how the piece goes on as it's the same piece for everything.