PDA

View Full Version : Which schools of magic are best?

CountUlrich
23-02-2014, 15:41
Which of the 8 cores of magic are most powerful overall? I am newer and keep waffling over which lores to use. I know that army composition affects which would be the most useful in any game, but at the baseline which do you feel are best?

The ones I have been playing around with are heavens (fits my fluff perfectly), shadow, death, light (powerful and very popular with other empire generals, but not really fitting my fluff), and beasts.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lord Solar Plexus
23-02-2014, 17:02
We already have a very recent thread for this question: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?390234-Best-Magic-Lore

The Hoodling also did a very in-depth review when 8th came out: http://hoodlinghole.blogspot.de/p/lores-of-magic.html Some of it may have been changed a wee bit by FAQ's and such and some lores like Life certainly aren't as popular anymore as they were three years ago. Statements such as "Players won't field more than one Light Wizard" also show the age of this analysis when we remember that Light Council is now a vested game term. I also happen to disagree on some assessments such as Pha's not being a top spell but hey.

Phazael
23-02-2014, 20:24
Most serious business hordestar ETC/Swede comp guys are going to say Death is the ultimate lore. A good MMU/MSU list severely tempers the power of that lore, but it is certainly strong. I think that Shadow is still the strongest main book lore, but Heavens, Light, and Death are right on its heels. Meta tends to dictate what is best, though.

Lord Solar Plexus
24-02-2014, 11:32
Death is indeed quite popular especially with comp in place as many systems cap the number of dice you can throw at any given spell to four (sometimes five). Since Death has generally very low complexities, it's not affected as much.

On the other hand, Ini spells are always situational. A Sun isn't the best against Elves, WoC and Skaven. Fear and Terror isn't the best against TK, DoC and VC (although it's only a 4+). Character assassination isn't all that useful against tough guys (high Ld, S or T) with a ward. Many spells are also of very short range, so are best on a flyer - and a flying wizard has its own up- and downsides.

The bearded one
24-02-2014, 11:44
High school.

* snort, giggle *

Alltaken
24-02-2014, 11:47
Wow thinking of heavens as good lore baffles me. I think shadows is great I could see it as the best lore really

From my servoskull

Lord Solar Plexus
24-02-2014, 12:02
Heavens is a great lore. I'm running nothing but since forever. Low casting values, lots of great buffs, area denial, anti-chaff. Worried about steadfast? Double Iceshard. Killing blow? Re-roll 6's.

Of course I'm usually fielding a lot of 1+ save types, so re-rolling 1's is extremely powerful. S3-4 will have a very hard time to get any wounds through. 60 attacks? Yawn, you actually want to roll that or shall we just skip them? :)

For completeness' sake I also roll with at least one bound spell from a Hurri/Lumi/Altar and/or the odd Warrior Priest.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
24-02-2014, 12:14
Hogwarts

* snort, giggle *

Arnizipal
25-02-2014, 18:42
We already have a very recent thread for this question: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?390234-Best-Magic-Lore

Indeed. Please discuss this topic in the other thread.

I'm locking this one as it's a double.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++