PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Knight fluff

MagicHat
23-02-2014, 19:33
Can't believe this have not already been created.

So, Knights are now part of the pre-imperial colonization.
According to Goodwin, they were workers, used to haul things around and the chainsword was for clearing away shrubberies. (NI!)
However, they had a warlike machine-spirit that molds the mind of the wielder, whom would form a warrior-caste of nobles, causing the Knight worlds to be very similar.

The Knight strongholds were built from their colonization ships and houses many pre-imperial technologies.

They will, upon being found, usually swear oaths of mutual alliance and aids, so while they trade and fight alongside the Imperium, they remain independent. They can also side up with Mechanicum, whom wants the stashes of technology in the strongholds.

Freeblades are Knights without a household, either because they were dishonoured, shunned by their peers, or bored with court life. Instead they will search for a worthy cause or offer their protection to those in need. They are described as tragic heroes.

The armour is a later addition, after they were converted to a more permanent machine of war.

Perrin
23-02-2014, 22:31
That sounds awesome. Anything about more on relations with the AdMech? I know you said that they can fight alongside them, and the AdMech want their technology, but have the AdMech ever attacked a stronghold? Do they want the Knights to be brought under their control etc.

MagicHat
23-02-2014, 22:49
They seem to be pretty much best buddies. It states that "These Adepts Mechanicus-aligned houses, as they are known, have forged alliances of reciprocal protection and betterment."
The Knights seems to pretty much share what they have, since the Forge World shares their full resources with them. Nothing about the Knights going into any conflicts with Imperials at all frankly. Might be more when an actual codex is released.

Perrin
23-02-2014, 23:05
That's fair enough then, no reason for the AdMech to get jealous if they share everything I suppose. Machines like that being used by people that don't follow the Omnissiah though? I thought the Mechanicus were stricter than that.

Last question :D Any hint of Chaos Knights?

spacemonkeymojo
24-02-2014, 05:03
I suppose having played Battletech in the past, I can appreciate the IK lore a bit more. I personally think the models look fantastic and I think the heraldry and UK imagery used on them look great as well. I do see some parallels to the navigator houses though so hope they don't dilute their uniqueness.

quantumcollider
24-02-2014, 07:15
That is some interesting background material. And I like it better than the previous incarnation of the fluff on Knight Houses.

Mind you, I wasn't into the hobby the last time Knights made an appearance, so I may get a few things wrong, but what I read previously on the Knights Houses was that they were Lords of feudal worlds that the Adeptus Mechanicus gave the Knights to in excange for their homeworld's resources.

That never made sense to me. Surely the Adeptus Mechanicus could gain those resources by giving those feudal rulers technological equivalents of beads and trinkets? Or even outright colonize those worlds and claim them as their own? I never believed that they would actually give an unwashed medieval savage an avatar of the Machine God.

But if they would find a world where the Dark Age of Technology Knights are already present and thriving, and where their Machine Spirits are content with their role, that is something I can imagine the Adeptus Mechanicus would accept.

Lost Egg
24-02-2014, 08:21
I like it, thanks for sharing.

I actually want to buy a WD...shame nowhere sells it around here and can't travel far this week as our new daughter and my wife's recovery is keeping us house bound. :(

Polaria
24-02-2014, 12:51
According to Goodwin, they were workers, used to haul things around and the chainsword was for clearing away shrubberies. (NI!)

Strenght D chainsword for clearing shrubberies? Must be some damn shrubbery, that one! Still, better than cutting down the trees with... a... herring!!!

Horus38
24-02-2014, 12:55
I like it, thanks for sharing.

I actually want to buy a WD...shame nowhere sells it around here and can't travel far this week as our new daughter and my wife's recovery is keeping us house bound. :(

You can buy the electronic version from BL? http://www.blacklibrary.com/whitedwarf

MagicHat
24-02-2014, 21:05
Last question :D Any hint of Chaos Knights?

Nope. No battles or hints of battle against imperials. I have to say it is not very grimdark, so I hope the codex elaborates it a bit.

That never made sense to me. Surely the Adeptus Mechanicus could gain those resources by giving those feudal rulers technological equivalents of beads and trinkets? Or even outright colonize those worlds and claim them as their own? I never believed that they would actually give an unwashed medieval savage an avatar of the Machine God.

Agricultural and feodal doesn't necessarily mean un-technological though. And the idea was that they needed to defend themselves from those pesky space-elfs and their centaur-walkers and other alien scums.
I don't think the original fluff was bad, but this one is okay as well.

Strenght D chainsword for clearing shrubberies? Must be some damn shrubbery, that one! Still, better than cutting down the trees with... a... herring!!!

Someone needs to convert a knight that says NI!

The passage reads:
"The early history of the Imperial Knights mentioned how they were originally built with the intention of helping with the work of colonization," says Jes. "That inherent practicality is communicated in many of the aspects of their design. The reaper chainsword, considered such a fearsome weapon on the battlefield, was clearly once intended for clearing huge areas of vegetation for the early settlers."

Somewhat amused by the "clearly". Wasn't the first thing i thought when I saw it.

Phunting
24-02-2014, 22:36
Mind you, I wasn't into the hobby the last time Knights made an appearance, so I may get a few things wrong, but what I read previously on the Knights Houses was that they were Lords of feudal worlds that the Adeptus Mechanicus gave the Knights to in excange for their homeworld's resources.It's actually swung back and forth a bit. The original Knights were actually fairly similar to the latest iteration in that they existed before contact with the Imperium as agricultural machines, and then were then partially assimilated into the Mechanicum following contact with some Houses making official ties but others remaining independent. The difference being that they were actually meant to be adaptations of Eldar Knights and not based on ancient STCs. Heresy indeed.

This was retconned into technology that the Mechanicum brought to the Knight worlds upon their rediscovery. This has obviously been retretconned back into pre-Mechanicum technology, but without the xenos influence.

agurus1
25-02-2014, 03:11
This was retconned into technology that the Mechanicum brought to the Knight worlds upon their rediscovery. This has obviously been retretconned back into pre-Mechanicum technology, but without the xenos influence.

this was a better move I think, and fits with established backgrounds for other Imperial vehicles. For instance wasn't the Rhino STC originally used by colonists and a tractor/earthmover ect... and then converted over to an APC during Old Night or other necessities? I love the background and love the model. Already preordered one!

Wiseman
25-02-2014, 03:54
Somewhat amused by the "clearly". Wasn't the first thing i thought when I saw it.

I'm somewhat tempted to paint mine up like a lumberjack after reading that.

mfv
25-02-2014, 05:13
Didn't they have knights on Mars in one of the HH books?

Lost Egg
25-02-2014, 07:00

Yeah, they're mentioned in Mechanicum. I suppose they could have been on-loan from a Knight World or a copy of one if they have been exchanging details etc with the robo-men in red suits.

You can buy the electronic version from BL? http://www.blacklibrary.com/whitedwarf

Cheers Horus, for some reason it hadn't occured they'd do a digital version. That's my back up plan if I can't get someone to grab me a copy. :D

Poseidal
25-02-2014, 07:50
Shame there's no mention of the Eldar knights. Would there still be room for it to be inspired? After all, the Eldar were there with them long before the Great Crusade, Mechanicum and Imperium.

I might get the ebook if there are lots of Jes Goodwin sketches. How does this system work, with this new fangled tablet technology thing?

MajorWesJanson
25-02-2014, 08:07
Shame there's no mention of the Eldar knights. Would there still be room for it to be inspired? After all, the Eldar were there with them long before the Great Crusade, Mechanicum and Imperium.

I might get the ebook if there are lots of Jes Goodwin sketches. How does this system work, with this new fangled tablet technology thing?

They don't mention the Eldar knights in the fluff so far, but in the design bit they mention how the Epic Eldar knights inspired the Wraithknight.

Poseidal
25-02-2014, 08:27
They don't mention the Eldar knights in the fluff so far, but in the design bit they mention how the Epic Eldar knights inspired the Wraithknight.

Is that in the current WD, or an earlier one when the WK was released?

The bearded one
25-02-2014, 10:41

Well.. It is a chainsaw ;)

AndrewGPaul
25-02-2014, 10:54

Mechanicum. It seems reasonable to me that the Mecanicu(m/s) would field its own units of Knight walkers, as well as relying on allied forces. Perhaps some Houses are seconded en masse to Forge Worlds, or such units evolved from Freeblades recruited as mercenaries on long-term contracts. IIRC they seem to think of themselves as members of the Mechanicum, so I would think that in this instance the Knights of Taranis were raised on Mars as an integral part of the Mechanicum military.

My assumption is that the Eldar Knights still exist and that the Wraithknight is a modification of a Fire Gale.

Zombie P
25-02-2014, 11:12
I'm somewhat tempted to paint mine up like a lumberjack after reading that.

"I'm a Lumberjack and it's ok..."

You never know, there could be some form of eldar knight incorporated into the codex, that will eventually surface. It does sound like there are going to be more knights than just these two. Wish they would finish updating the 5th ed codexs first though...

ZP

MagicHat
25-02-2014, 11:41
Is that in the current WD, or an earlier one when the WK was released?

This one. They mentions how Knights were introduced in WD126, then goes on to say that it introduced the Eldar Knights, which morphed into the Wraithknight.

MajorWesJanson
27-02-2014, 01:32
My assumption is that the Eldar Knights still exist and that the Wraithknight is a modification of a Fire Gale.

It seems like a blend of the Fire Gale with the secondary weapons taken from the Towering Destroyer.

If I had the money to get a whole Knight household, I'd probably get a Wraithknight as well. To split into parts and put some wraithknight wreckage on all of the bases. Ancient rivalries and all.

Overlord Krycis
27-02-2014, 08:34
Wish they would finish updating the 5th ed codexs first though...

ZP

Speak for yourself...I want my 4TH EDITION Ork codex updated...

Inquisitor Engel
27-02-2014, 14:03
Speak for yourself...I want my 4TH EDITION Ork codex updated...

Well you've only got a couple of months to wait then don't you? ;)