PDA

View Full Version : 2400pts Lizardmen - first attempt, help!

darkestvisions
23-02-2014, 20:31
Recently purchased the Lizardmen army book as I wanted to start a new army, and I've had my eye on these guys for a while!

Been trying to put together a 2400pt list, which I can work towards (before I start randomly buying things). It would be great to hear any advice and ideas on my list...

Lords
Slann Mage-Priest [General/BSB] (Reservoir of Eldritch Energy, The Becalming Cogitation, The Wandering Deliberation)

Heroes
Tetto'eko
Gor'Rok
Saurus Scar Veteran (Light Armour, Shield, Biting Blade, Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza)

Core
23x Saurus Warriors (Full Command, Swords/Shields)
23x Saurus Warriors (Full Command, Swords/Shields)
20x Skink Cohort (Full Command, Javelins, Poisoned Attacks)

Special
20x Temple Guard (Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame)
Bastiladon (with Solar Engine)

Rare
Ancient Stegadon (with Engine of the Gods)

All comes in at 2396 of my 2400 limit.

The idea is that I will run the Saurus Warriors both as blocks 6 wide and 4 deep, one with Gor'Rok and the other with the Saurus Scar Veteran. The Skinks will also be 6x4, and include Tetto'eko. Finally, the Slann will join the Temple Guard in a fourth 6x4 block.

Garrettsor
25-02-2014, 06:39
I have found that you don't really need 3 blocks of saurus. i take the temple guard and the one block and I replace the other with lots of skink skirmishers. it takes a little bit of getting used to to use them effectively but it gives you an effective answer to most big monsters out there.
reservoir of eldritch energy doesn't seem that great i like the x3 channel with the channeling staff a bit better. I like wandering deliberations as it gives you something to cast at every army but it lacks the power spells that can win you the game with one irresistible cast. you should definitely give your slann the banner of discipline. a stubborn cold blooded ld 10 unit with a bsb re-roll has like a one in 3000 chance of breaking. so you almost may as well be fearless.

im still on the fence with the bastilodon, the extra initiative is nice, but the laser is fairly inconsistent and it can't really fight in combat at all.

tetto and a slann is going pretty deep on the magic phase. I hear it is great but it may be a bit much. also having a dispel scroll is usually pretty comforting. especially since if you get purple sunned or hit with pit of shades or something its gonna wipe a whole squad.
i do like the ancient steg i think the 50 extra points for the 6+ ward save is worth it alone. especially if its near both you temple guard and you block of saurus. it will pay for itself by the end of the game most assuredly. good luck i hope this helped!

Kayosiv
25-02-2014, 09:37
That skink unit isn't making any sense to me. At 20 they're no longer throwaway but with no kroxigar and not in horde formation they can't really fight either. I would either split them into 2 units or take some skinks out to add a kroxigar.

Moss
27-02-2014, 00:20
That skink unit isn't making any sense to me. At 20 they're no longer throwaway but with no kroxigar and not in horde formation they can't really fight either. I would either split them into 2 units or take some skinks out to add a kroxigar.
I'm pretty sure they're a bunker for Tetto'eko.

I agree with a lot Garretsor says; you've got a lot of magic going in this list. Think about dropping that bastiladon; power dice are going to be hard to come by, and with Heavens Loremaster/Wandering Deliberations you have plenty of magic missiles. I also recommend the channeling staff/Harmonic Convergence combination.

I also don't think you need saurus characters in those blocks. I would personally drop them both to free up points for some chaff units. With that many points, you can get some skink skirmishers and a unit or two of chameleons. Maybe some terradons?

darkestvisions
28-02-2014, 10:26
So after getting some feedback (online and offline) I have re-adjusted things. Mainly changing some of the unit sizes around, dropping the Scar Veteran and changing the Slann! Here is my updated list, see if this is any better!!

Lords
Slann Mage-Priest [General/BSB] (Channeling Staff, Standard of Discipline, The Becalming Cogitation, The Harmonic Convergence, Focus of Mystery)

Heroes
Tetto'eko
Gor'Rok

Core
29x Saurus Warriors (Full Command, Spears)
24x Skink Cohort (Javelins) & 3x Kroxigor

Special
20x Temple Guard (Full Command)
3x Terradon Riders
3x Terradon Riders
Bastiladon (with Solar Engine)

Rare
Ancient Stegadon (with Engine of the Gods)

So a similar idea to before - the Slann sits inside the Temple Guard, making them 6 wide by 4 deep, Gor'Rok joins the Saurus, but 6x5 (as the unit is now 30), and Tetto'eko will join the Skinks/Kroxigors, making a horde formation unit that is 10x4. Terradons are there to fly 'over the top' of incoming units to soften them, before hunting warmachines, wizards, etc. And the Bastiladon and Ancient Stegadon are really supporting units, but could flank or even front charge if needed!

havik110
03-03-2014, 17:23
my problem with it is you have no dispel scroll...
in our last book, you didnt need it (I called my slann the Eff you frog) but now having a scroll is a nice back pocket deal when you do have a spell you dont want going off...

so lets go through this,

What is tetto doing for you? You have the chance to scout 3 units up, so what units would you move? you a good chance to drop a comet or 2 but then what dice are your frog going to use? truthfully I am not a fan of tetto in lists with frogs...sure its nice having a lore master with commet plus a high lore master but in the end with out the frog's extra free dice, you are now limited...if i still had my last book Id be more positive because of the frog's free extra dice...personally Id be more interested in normal skink priest for the +1 st and T on skinks so your throwing S4 poison...

I like gorrok when I use saurus, he has a nice punch...but you have to wonder what can he do better than a scarvet? if you know you have cav or chariots then he makes sense otherwise you can make a scarvet much more killy and surviveable for fewer points...

why the engine instead of the giant blow pipes? Is it for the 6 ward save? for the -1 to cast?

okay and here is my final opinion...right now skink skirmishers are better than warriors IMO...you can cast the +1 str +1 T spell and up their javs to 4S...with that said I have dropped my saurus and added bigger temple guard squads...temple guard with razors banner is pretty mean...if you are worried about blowing them up take the frog out, make him ethereal and up his magic resistance...

just some ideas...