PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarfs for Sale

Ero-Senin
24-02-2014, 16:25
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seemed the most appropriate. I have a large back catologue of White dwarfs stretching back to about 2002 until about 2008/9 and am trying to sell them. Is ebay the best place? If so, are white dwarfs selling on ebay? and if they are, is it best to sell some invididually, in several lots of say 25 or in one bulk lot?

Inquisitor Engel
24-02-2014, 17:40
I've got almost all issues from 1998 to the early 300's. I have no idea what to do with them and I don't want to just trash them. They'd cost a fortune to ship as well. :(

Athelassan
24-02-2014, 17:55
Ebay is probably as good a place as any, and better than most. There is definitely a market for old WDs; price will depend on age, rarity, condition and so forth. Different sellers take different approaches to selling; some like to get rid of them in bulk and some individually. In general, the bulk approach will get you a lower price per issue but you're more likely to get rid of all of them. If you sell them individually you'll probably be stuck with some at the end that nobody really wants (although if you sell near-simultaneously and combine postage you're more likely to pick up buyers on impulse) and posting them separately will be more trouble, but you'll probably end up with more cash.

Instinctively, I'd say to try to sell off magazines from the Paul Sawyer era and earlier individually (certainly anything from before issue 230 or so), and anything from after that in bulk. From the mid-00s onwards the magazine is these days largely held in such low esteem it's unlikely anyone will want to pay a lot for a specific issue but they might buy several at a reasonable price just for the hell of it. Ten issues per lot seems a reasonable number, as more than that will get heavy and affect the shipping, but whatever you think is reasonable.

MiyamatoMusashi
24-02-2014, 20:09
Yes, they sell on eBay. No, they don't go for much, until you go way back. After about WD#100 you won't get more than a fiver per issue, maybe less; after about (I'd guess) WD#180 you'll be lucky to get more than about a quid each. They printed literally tens of thousands of each magazine, so they're simply not rare enough to be worth any more than that. But they do sell so long as the price is reasonable, so if you definitely want rid of them, it's better than chucking them in the bin.

The very, very old ones are different, of course. WD#1 almost always goes for over 100 for example. But the more recent ones, no.

mrtn
24-02-2014, 20:27
I recently sold almost 60 WD on the Swedish branch of ebay. 240ish to last year's. I sold them individually and got about 80 total for them. So not a lot of money, but at least I didn't have to trash them.

The Decayed
25-02-2014, 00:23
I did trash most of my old White Dwarfs.
Kept a few for use as cutting mats to save my table from damage.
That way I found a use out of them too.

Shadey
25-02-2014, 10:01
Me personally, I am ripping out the articles I want to keep, recycling the rest.

I am tempted to just scan in the articles so I can ditch them too and save on even more space.

TheFang
25-02-2014, 15:26
Worth selling on ebay are anything below about numbers 140-150. They'll get a few quid and upwards (and upwards for the earliest). Most of the fat dwarfs with the card inserts intact are also worth flogging especially if you flag up the card insert in the auction title. The rest are probably charity shop, recycling or trade forum fodder as they'll only hit your ebay start price if you're lucky.

tezdal
27-02-2014, 04:54
I've got almost all issues from 1998 to the early 300's. I have no idea what to do with them and I don't want to just trash them. They'd cost a fortune to ship as well. :(

Half priced Bookstore will give you ill bit of money, I bought about 50 WDs there a few years ago

Kalidane
05-03-2014, 04:55
I gave away all from 251 onwards. Might trim even lower but it freed space and hopefully found a better home

TheBigBadWolf
05-03-2014, 22:05
Try an FLGS, the one near me buys them