+Rune of spellbreaking
= 93

Runesmith
+shield
+Rune of Stone
+Rune of Speed
= 73

Core: 631

39x Warriors (RS here, deployed horde 10x4)
+shield
+command
= 381

23x Warriors (BSB + RS here, deployed 5x5)
+GW
+stnd, +mus
= 250

Special: 1068

16x Hammerers (Lord goes here, deployed 6x3)
+stnd
+Rune of Valaya
= 299

4x Gryos
= 320

1x Cannon
= 120

1x Cannon
+Rune of Immolation
= 150

1x Cannon
+Rune of Burning
= 125

7x Slayers (deployed 7x1, as to allow the max deathblow's)
= 84

Rare: 180

1x Flame Cannon
+Rune of Penetration
= 180

Grand Total = 2499

So Hybrid list of gunline/CC, emphasis on the gunline. Anvil = 40x warrior unit, Hammer = pincer move with the hammerers and 25x warriors.

A Brief summary of the different counters this list possess vs various situations:

1) Vs. Heavy CC armies: Flame cannon + Gryos template the heck out of the big blocks (5 templates in total!). Cannons pick off monsters/DP/Dragons, etc. The Cannon with immolation will be positioned directly in front of my infantry blocks and sacrifice itself before letting the enemy roll through (grape shot is also a nice feature to use here). Slayers will act as speed bump for anything too fast (gyros also can be used). Mop up with infantry blocks once the enemy is battered.

2) Vs. Shooty: 3x cannons + flame cannon + 4x gyros should do away with most shooty lists. In the event I am forced to march on the enemy, slayers are 7 wide, act as a screen along with gyros and move the army up behind them as quick as possible.

3) Vs Magic: Standard of Valaya + spellbreaking and 2 Runesmith should hold off spells long enough for my gyros and war machines to hunt down wizards and devastate the enemy lines.

4) Vs MSU: Gyros + slayers act as redirects/chaff burning up small units as they go. Flame Cannon and Grape shot mop up things getting through. Infantry blocks support where needed.

5) Vs a lot of Etheral Creatures: I am a bit worried about this scenario. I only have the flame cannon, 2x cannons and the BSB and Runesmith who can hurt ethereal stuff. It should be enough, but you never know when unlimited cheese is involved...

6) Vs a lot of monsters/ogres/high T things: having 3x cannons and a str 6 flame template with D3 wounds should handle this type of list quite well. Again gryos and slayers act as redirects/speed bumps.

Any other scenarios I need to worry about? I'm pretty sure the list is competitive in all of the BRB tourney battle scenarios... anyone see anything that I missed in regards to the standard battle scenarios?

Do you think I need any more ethereal killing in this list? Any weaknesses at all?

keldon33
27-02-2014, 02:59
Guess the lack of comments means the list is sound?

Fighting Newfoundlander
27-02-2014, 03:56
I would ditch the second Runesmith as without a anti-magic rune he's doing nothing for you. I would also switch gear on the two infantry blocks. IMO the hoard should have GW and the 5x5 block should have the shields. If points are left over give yourself some runes of forging on cannons. They never go astray in my experience. I'm still digesting the new book, but those are my thoughts.

keldon33
28-02-2014, 05:45
The Runesmith is giving the second unit of dwarfs AP and adds another magical weapon to the army... it's possible that dropping him and upgrading the 25x unit to longbeards could be better... but I really am worried about ethereal stuff and no answer for them...

The horde is the anvil in the army... I like that 5+ parry on them.. the 25 man gw unit can smash stuff pretty good once the horde pins it.

ColWayne
28-02-2014, 08:35
More hammerers are needed there great in combat but die in droves with only heavy armour and striking last with great weapons

I

Fle
28-02-2014, 09:50
I quite like this list. You have lots of war machines and lots of fast moving gyros. The Dwarf lord will add some CC punch (although I prefer the slightly cheaper 2xRoI,1xRoS,3xRoW setup - -1T(6 not 7) but +1AS)

You're main weakness is magic I'd say. But it's not so bad, you have the banner and one dispel scroll. I'd be tempted to ditch the second Runesmith and add an Engineer instead for your cannons?

Don't worry about Ethereal stuff. You have some magic war machines and Ethereals can be beaten on combat resolution anyway.

Let us know how you get on with the list :D

keldon33
01-03-2014, 18:12
I've tweaked the list a litte based on the suggestions here. I've added a bit more magic defence with the extra rune of spellbreaking. I added in more rangey stuff too. Also I put in the rangers to stop enemy vanguarding, this is probably better than slayer speed bumps? Anyways what do you guys think is the stronger list... List A or List B?

Lords: 316

Dwarf Lord
+GW
+Shield Bearers
+Rune of Fortitude
+2x Rune of Iron
+3x Rune of warding

Heroes: 266

BSB
+Shield
+Rune of Valaya

Runesmith
+shield
+2x Rune of spellbreaking

Core: 634

25x Warriors
+gw
+command

36x Warriors (Characters all go in here)
+shield
+command

Special: 685

4x Gyros

2x Cannon

1x Cannon
+Rune of Burning

Rare: 595

1x Flame Cannon

1x Organ Gun
+Rune of Accuracy

5x Rangers
+shield

5x Rangers
+shield

10x Irondrakes
+stnd

Grand Total =

Fupduck
03-03-2014, 06:17
Yo. Due to the wonders of hyperlinks, I find myself here replying to your thread. I haven't read any of the previous replies (did I say I was a lazy prat?), so these comments are purely for the most recent version of the list.

First off: As I mentioned on my other thread, I'm not really sold on taking 200+ point combat characters, and while this Dwarf Lord is Awesome (capital A required), he is still Awesomely Expensive and one lucky bugger with a Killing Blow weapon or something retarded like a Green Arrow cannonball shot can swipe you of 316 points in one go. However, if you do like your dwarfish monarchs, then by all means keep him.

I still haven't tried a MR Valaya standard bearer, however I suspect that this guy will attract an awful lot of prods from enemy rank and filers, and, again, a few lucky prods and this important T5 W2 asset to your is gone. I'd give him a touch more survivability.

I don't really know if paying the extra 20 points to have a 50/50 chance to cockblock an enemy wizard of a spell is really worth it. It might be good if you dispel and get rid of something like, I dunno, the Dreaded Thirteenth Spell (anyone still plays Skaven?), but other than that, it's kinda meh. I suppose the 20 points isn't too big of a gamble.

36x Warriors (Characters all go in here)

That's a lot of tits in one bed (my metaphors are fantastic aren't they?). I really advise against this, as this unit is going to get pounded, trampled, steamrolled and curbstomped by whatever can touch it. You lose this unit, you lose essentially lose the game if your opponent then has something to throw at your warmachines.

Finally, I should say I'm also not really sold on either dwarfish speedbumps or Irondrakes. Slayer speedbumps could work, but that's counting on the fact that your opponent won't roll over all of them when they charge. They'll stick around, and, with luck, put a bunch of casualties onto the enemy as well as meeting that death-in-battle-because-we-are-angry-dwarfs-with-a-Ron-Wealsy-hairdo end. I don't, however, see 5 rangers really achieving anything greatly useful, other than, maybe, nuking a warmachine.

As far as Irondrakes go - while they're a really well rounded unit, they're kinda expensive for what they do, and there's simply other things in the army that do their job for a cheaper points cost (Organ Guns, for one).

And (I'm prattling now), I don't know whether 5 warmachines, in a dwarf army anyhow, is somewhat overkill and/or too vunerable given the CC units you have to protect them. Just a little though for the end.

dwarf_zepplin
03-03-2014, 11:10
I'm running two units of 5 rangers as well these days, they block vanguards nicely and in a recent game they shot a lonely chaos sorcerer to death!

keldon33
03-03-2014, 20:34
First off: As I mentioned on my other thread, I'm not really sold on taking 200+ point combat characters, and while this Dwarf Lord is Awesome (capital A required), he is still Awesomely Expensive and one lucky bugger with a Killing Blow weapon or something retarded like a Green Arrow cannonball shot can swipe you of 316 points in one go. However, if you do like your dwarfish monarchs, then by all means keep him.

Fair enough, I could go either way on this point as well.

I still haven't tried a MR Valaya standard bearer, however I suspect that this guy will attract an awful lot of prods from enemy rank and filers, and, again, a few lucky prods and this important T5 W2 asset to your is gone. I'd give him a touch more survivability.

To be honest, the bsb need only survive until the enemy finally manages to get to CC with my block of warriors. By then I will have had enough time to war machine/hunt enemy wizards. Even if not, by the time the enemy manages to reach my blocks, magic will have a hard time saving them after going through so much war machine fire.

That's a lot of tits in one bed (my metaphors are fantastic aren't they?). I really advise against this, as this unit is going to get pounded, trampled, steamrolled and curbstomped by whatever can touch it. You lose this unit, you lose essentially lose the game if your opponent then has something to throw at your warmachines.

With 2x vanguard blocking rangers, 4x gyros, and all those war machines... the enemy is going to have a heck of a time getting the opportunity to pound, trample, steamroll and curbstomp the unit. Unless they commit pretty much their entire resources to doing so - it's going to be tough. If they focus on it for even one turn, that means my gyros, rangers and war machines will have knocked out pretty much all of their ranged threats. A good magic phase or good shooting phase can put a bad hurt on this unit but that's why I've got 40 strong.

I don't, however, see 5 rangers really achieving anything greatly useful, other than, maybe, nuking a warmachine.

As far as Irondrakes go - while they're a really well rounded unit, they're kinda expensive for what they do, and there's simply other things in the army that do their job for a cheaper points cost (Organ Guns, for one).

The rangers are first and fore most there for vanguard blocking. You NEED to do this if you want to run a proper gunline. If you go up against an army of DE with 5-8 units of dark riders, you are screwed with no vanguard blocking. The other roll they do play IS war machine hunting. If I can use them to take out a war machine or two, that's less work for my cannons, who can then focus on the monsters and uber characters they are suppose to.

As for the Irondrakes they are their for a dual role as well. First being to take out any vanguarding/scouting units that make it past my gyros/rangers. Second is to provide a small yet tough flanking unit for when my 40 warrior block gets charged and needs support.

And (I'm prattling now), I don't know whether 5 warmachines, in a dwarf army anyhow, is somewhat overkill and/or too vunerable given the CC units you have to protect them. Just a little though for the end.

If you are going to run a gun line... be the best in your particular phase then - this being the shooting phase. Make sure you can out shoot other shooty lists or else they will win since you as a Dwarf player, cannot close the gap and bring the CC game into play.