PDA

View Full Version : A succesful Empire List

Punk_in_Drublic
12-06-2006, 11:45
Here follows a list I've enjoyed some success with lately. It clocks in at 2000 pts, but since I'm writing it from memory, I can't remember the point costs of each unit.

Lords and Heroes:
- Elector Count, armour of meteoric iron, holy relic, greatweapon.
-> deploys with greatswords or swordsmen
- BSB, full plate some cheap magic weapon (varies)
-> deploys with the regiment the Elector count isn't
- Battle wizard, level 2, a disp scroll and occationaly some other magical doodah's. Lore of Fire.
- Battle wizard. Ditto. Lore of shadows.
CORE:
- 7 Knights, full command. Warbanner (most of the time)
- 10 handgunners (sometimes a marksman with the long rifle, just for kicks.
- 24 swordsmen. Full command. Griffin banner. detachment of 8 free company
(- 5 huntsmen)
SPECIAL:
- 19 greatswords. Full command. detachment of 8 of whatever I feel like at the time.
- 5 pistoliers, marksman rep pistol
- 5 pistoliers, ditto
- 1 great cannon
RARE:
- Helblaster
- Sometimes a giant, sometimes som Ogres, or sometimes another knight regiment instead.

It's a fun and pretty rock hard list to play. I deploy my two anvil regiments side by side, often with the helblaster in between. The flanks are guarded by the detachments. The knights and pistoliers go off to harass and flank charge. (If there are bigger units that try to outflank me, the knights oftentimes take good care of them with their hitting and staying power). The cannons is often placed along my battle line, but often on one flank. Sometimes I set up a firebase consisting of the handgunners and great cannon, depending on my opponents deployment. I try to play it safe with letting my enemy come to me, and during his march over the board, outflank him with my calavery regiments. The giant or Ogres are used as tarpits.

Later,

-Punk

Kedlav
12-06-2006, 14:18
I run pretty much the same list, save using a small unit of flagellants as my tarpit, as well as keeping at least one wizard celestial, as second sign = win. Seeing as I'm a right cheap bastard, I only sport one unit of pistolliers(oh that'd be soooooo nice) and instead field another shooty unit to pretty solid effect.

Badgobbla
14-06-2006, 13:38
I would love to throw down the gauntlet to this army with my Ogres, but I think I'll be shot to bits by the time I reach your battleline.

It seems this is probably the only viable way to play with Empire these days unfortunately. I remember you could play all cavalry with all the different cav-units in the days.

Punk_in_Drublic
14-06-2006, 13:48
I run pretty much the same list, save using a small unit of flagellants as my tarpit, as well as keeping at least one wizard celestial, as second sign = win. Seeing as I'm a right cheap bastard, I only sport one unit of pistolliers(oh that'd be soooooo nice) and instead field another shooty unit to pretty solid effect.

Tell me about it. I'm too cheap to buy flagellants :) Probably will someday, though, but I'm not doing anything with my army until the new book is released. I made my second unit of pistoliers from old rough riders and milita plastics. ;)

@BG: As long as you get yourself up here for the tourney, this list is yours to pick apart

Later,

-Punk

WhiteStar
14-06-2006, 15:52
I would love to throw down the gauntlet to this army with my Ogres, but I think I'll be shot to bits by the time I reach your battleline.

It seems this is probably the only viable way to play with Empire these days unfortunately. I remember you could play all cavalry with all the different cav-units in the days.

Infantry Empire is actually much less powerfull than cavalry Empire, due to the fact that cavalry is much better than infantry as of the current rules. Throw in a couple of canons, a caddy or two, a stank and the rest on cavlry and you have a pretty hard list.

Punk_in_Drublic
15-06-2006, 09:37
Around here, the Stank is kinda forwned upon. It's not just that it's so effin powerful, but also that it requires its own armylist to field, in terms special rules. And I'm one of those people that thinks "if you wanna play knights, play brets". I like the versitality of the empire list, and how you are more or less guaranteed to have something useful to do in all phases of the game.

Later,

-Punk

Kedlav
16-06-2006, 19:34
I've seen the steam tank fielded once in my decade of playing--in a 5000 point game. It prolongs the game with its rather long and different ruleset that needs to be consulted every single move, and it becomes a crutch waaaaay too easily. I've one painted up with a hellblaster and I mainly use it as a decorative piece, though occassionally I've brought it and the annual just to screw with an opponent's mind as I'm taking models out of their boxes.

Punk_in_Drublic
19-06-2006, 11:53
Dude, I like your style.

Later,

-Punk

Kedlav
19-06-2006, 19:22
Heh, that and bringing the artillery box and claiming to be thinking about running the Nuln list usually keeps most opponents on their heels, despite the fact that I've ran the same list for the past four weeks straight, and discounting minor tweaks, over four months with it. I figure its better to screw with their heads instead of putting real effort into idiotic things like spending more money and painting... ;)

Punk_in_Drublic
20-06-2006, 14:50
I would try the same thing with an elector count on a griffon, and people would break out laughing.

Later,

-Punk

Kedlav
20-06-2006, 20:19
Heh, I have a really nicely painted Elector on Griffon that I use as a showpiece... its seen the field *ONCE*.... against goblins in a 4000 point match(that's a LOT of goblins), he's useful for terror and.... terror.

sergentzimm
21-06-2006, 19:26
So I have been looking to set up some pistoleers, with unused horses and militia (screw $10 a model!) but I have been hearing that the 7th rules will really tone down the pistols. How are you all looking at the new 7th and what do you think it will do to the pistoleers?

Kedlav
22-06-2006, 07:36
Not sure on 7th, its part of the reason I haven't bought anything lately from GW until I can look at the new rulebook and Empire book. As far as pistolliers go, I converted some militia and some older horses for Brettonian squires into mine, and IMO, they look better. In addition, the use of putty between the saddle and the rider allows for much easier transport.

Sanjuro
22-06-2006, 08:17
From what I read over at warhammer-empire.com (fairly reliable rumours), pistoliers will be heavily toned down in the new Empire army book. They will not have some special rule that allows them to shoot pistols in combat, instead they will be reduced in price and their role will be that of a cheap, entirely expendable sacrificial unit.

So on the one hand, you won't feel like crying when your expensive T3 5+ models die to magic missiles anymore (because they won't be expensive). On the other hand, they won't be able to work miracles like they do now (pistoliers have been pretty darn tough on the charge in this edition!).

I'm not sure why they felt this change was necessary, since Empire has always had access to cheap light cavalry via DoW (11 pts a pop, baby!). I felt the pistoliers were very characterful and I've never heard anyone complain about them. And then there is of course the matter of fluff versus rules. I mean, pistoliers are the sons of noblemen, the elite-in-training so to speak. It doesn't make sense to use them in the same role that you would with Chaos Hounds or Goblins (sacrificial units). I don't know if they will change the fluff to fit the new rules, I hope they will.

Sheerkhan
22-06-2006, 08:58
i hate the new changes to pistoliers. they weren't broken.

in this new ed, they have fixed things not broken but ignored things really broken.

i'm getting ready to toss half my pistoliers.

i already have throwaway units. they are called infantry.

Punk_in_Drublic
22-06-2006, 11:13
As I've stated earlier, I do not mind the toning down of pistoliers, as long as they get a new point cost and the option for a musician. But I agree that fielding them as a throw away unit does go against the fluff. Anyway, I look forward to both new edition and the new army book. Adapting and learning new ways to play my army, instead of bitching about the changes that might come. Hey - it might actually be fun! But, like kedlav, I do not buy anything Empire until then.

LAter,

-Punk

Sinew
22-06-2006, 17:00
Nice list Punk_in_Drublic, looks a lot like a list my regular opponent plays. Sometimes he swaps out the characters for 2 pegasus riding captains, a Wizard Lord and a Wizard with the staff (both fire). My Orcs have clashed with this on a regular basis (before I converted to the dark side of Loren) and we always had fun. Admittedly my Orcs are horribly shooty (5-7 artillery pieces average) but after a while you get sick of marching into hellblasters, and at least with Empire v Orcs neither side can really complain about overloading on artillery!

On the subject of pistolliers, I think they probably altered them for fluff reasons rather than because they were broken. They're meant to be an eccentricity rather than a battle winner - an inevitable offspin of mankind's crazy inventiveness. As it is there are far more pistolliers around than halberdiers, which are supposed to be the mainstay of the Empire's forces! Hopefully they'll just up the abilities of the rest of the army to ensure that Empire don't feel the loss of pistolliers too keenly.

gorenut
24-06-2006, 00:18
I wouldn't cry about the pistoliers so quickly. yea, I do like how they are now, as it gives us a unique fast cav, but I don't think they're going to be as bad as people make it out to be.

They will simply have a different role. I see them as more pestering, baiting units now since the new pistol rules will allow them to shoot twice in the shooting phase. If the auto-rally for fast cav is also true, this will help counteract them not having musicians. Lastly, they're still getting 3 attacks which is still decent.

sergentzimm
24-06-2006, 00:41
I wouldn't cry about the pistoliers so quickly. yea, I do like how they are now, as it gives us a unique fast cav, but I don't think they're going to be as bad as people make it out to be.

They will simply have a different role. I see them as more pestering, baiting units now since the new pistol rules will allow them to shoot twice in the shooting phase. If the auto-rally for fast cav is also true, this will help counteract them not having musicians. Lastly, they're still getting 3 attacks which is still decent.

Very nice. That sounds like a good role for them actually. Hmm I think you have just convinced me to convert these guys up. Not to mention the fact that I can still use them as they are all summer!

Kedlav
25-06-2006, 10:45
$10 a pop nonconverted baiting unit is a waste IMO. I'll use hunters for baiting if need be, otherwise its just standard bait & flanks using movement properly. I really enjoy using them in the current edition...