PDA

View Full Version : Would it work? Would it be allowed?

CountUlrich
25-02-2014, 17:06
So, I have started my empire army, and I had an idea I wanted input on before I waste money. My army is ce tered around some fluff of my own lesser noble, whose device is blue and white halved, with a black wolve's head.

I love wolves ... almost started a Space Wolves army first despite my preference for fantasy because of some of the kits ... which segways to my question ... I was thinking of buying thunderwolf cav kits and using the wolves as mounts for my "DGK"'s ... I am pretty sure my local club would be cool with it, but my question is twofold - does anyone know if the sizes would fit right? And more importantly, if I took it to an official tournament would it be allowed? What would you think about seeing it?

Thanks for the input guys!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ramius4
25-02-2014, 17:09
"official" GW tournaments won't care if you use them since they're GW models. Just be mindful of the riders being WYSIWYG and there shouldn't be any issues.

PS. I have zero idea of how big/small the models are for those. I would guess they're about right though.

liddan
25-02-2014, 17:37
What Ramius4 said about legality.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SZZnz5ZDR4U/T9puwddVImI/AAAAAAAAB3I/UgQ8mgQVvPc/s1600/Wolfgryphs+All+Complete.jpg

Think those are thunderwolf cav wolves on mcav bases. No banana for scale.

Lord Solar Plexus
25-02-2014, 18:48
Those must be The Hoodling's. Nice.

There have been quite a few conversions like this. Just google "demigryphon (griffon) wolves" or something. Should be perfectly legal.

Agoz
25-02-2014, 21:17
Yeah, thunderwolves are a pretty common conversion for demi-gryph knights, go nuts! Heck, it even mentions in the demi-gryph section of the book that some knights from middenheim actually do ride giant wolves.

Knifeparty
25-02-2014, 21:31
Yea, a friend of mine built a "House Stark" Empire army. It's blue and white with Thunderwolves as Demi-gryphs and normal Fenrisian Wolves for Inner Circle Knights. Turned out well.

SVKBaki
25-02-2014, 22:06
Try the teutogen guard and priests of ulric on ebay,these are GW models,oop,quite expensive but nice and will fit the theme very well.

EvanM
26-02-2014, 03:15
yeah totally! go for it!

In_Fiction
26-02-2014, 05:35
I've seen them done this way in person and they work quite nice. That empire player also had a unit riding juggernauts, with a Nuln mechanical steed-type idea behind the unit. As long as it's clear what they are (and they should be), I see nothing wrong.

CountUlrich
26-02-2014, 14:32
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it alot.

myrdinn
26-02-2014, 14:45
I would actively want to play against this! Pics please.

Ero-Senin
26-02-2014, 14:47
Check out the hoodlings models for demigryphs. He has converted mournfang steeds with some clever cutting and green stuff. He breaks it down on his website.

http://hoodlinghole.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Demigryphs

Hoodling
27-02-2014, 11:11
Check out the hoodlings models for demigryphs. He has converted mournfang steeds with some clever cutting and green stuff. He breaks it down on his website.

http://hoodlinghole.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Demigryphs

Hey everyone!

I've never had any problems with my converted guys - most people are happy and interested to see them.

Careful with the mention of Mournfangs, though - my Mournfang conversions are actually for Ogres, not for Empire. The Demigryphs are made from Thunderwolves, as are so many others that you will find online. Mournfangs are closer to the size of a Steam Tank than a Demigryph... :eek:

Ero-Senin
27-02-2014, 12:12
Hey everyone!

I've never had any problems with my converted guys - most people are happy and interested to see them.

Careful with the mention of Mournfangs, though - my Mournfang conversions are actually for Ogres, not for Empire. The Demigryphs are made from Thunderwolves, as are so many others that you will find online. Mournfangs are closer to the size of a Steam Tank than a Demigryph... :eek:

My mistake. I think I merged the articles in my head :) Love your battle reps btw. So glad some people still write them instead of putting them on youtube.

CountUlrich
27-02-2014, 13:41
Thanks for the feedback guys ... I picked up a box of the TWC yesterday and started to work on it. Very little converting was needed thankfully to me, as a brand new entrant to the hobby learning my skills still.

There are a few small mechanical pieces that had to be cut/filed off, but whereas the box shows one with a mechanical leg and so I thought I was going to have to do a lot of modeling around it, the kit included enough nor.al legs to avoid using the mechanical ones. I'm excited to see the finished product though.

CountUlrich
27-02-2014, 14:18
So, I got all of them modelled, primed, and basecoated. This wolf I have a few more layers done on. Still a little detail work to go, then of course the rider to get done. Contrary to the ones I've seen, I don't want the "wild northman" look, I want more just a normal knight, mounted on this beast, so I am using he knights from the demigryf kit for my knights. Anyways, here are a couple of shots of the progress on this one.

CountUlrich
27-02-2014, 14:49
The saddle is not very fantasy-esque, but I'm not very comfortable with my modeling skills to try making my own just yet.

boli
27-02-2014, 15:14
The saddle is not very fantasy-esque, but I'm not very comfortable with my modeling skills to try making my own just yet.

Just because they drink ale and have puffy sleeves does not mean they don't want a nice comfy bum when going to war :)

liddan
27-02-2014, 17:50
Looking good bud, best of luck!

Hoodling
27-02-2014, 23:00
You could just cover the existing saddle detail with a bit of green stuff. Just turn it into a lump of leather, basically. Jam a rider onto it once you've done it to ensure he fits, and push any excess putty out of the way.