PDA

View Full Version : Is it Viable to equip Extra hand weapon Khorne warriors with shields also?

Superafro
26-02-2014, 01:33
My Chaos warriors are painted and themed khorne but they are all equipped with shields. I was thinking about trying out xhw on them. A Khorne warrior with an additional hand weapon is 18 points. Would taking a shield start to make them to points heavy?. I typically take a unit of 18 warriors with shields and MOK and find that it usually does fine but I like the idea of more attacks. I know frenzied troops gain the least by taking shields due to the lack of a parry save but I find they look better with shields. I also visualize them as using the shields to close the distance as they get shot at, but then just use the shield as a weapon due to their frenzy rather than for defense. What do you guys think? While I dont go to tournaments my friends can be semi competitive and I rather take a unit that is more points efficient.

Moss
26-02-2014, 01:39
No it's not the most efficient use of points, but you already knew that.

It's only 18pts to give them shields; really, it's not the WORST use of points. People have been successful while spending more points than that to maintain a theme/visual effect.

byrothegyro
26-02-2014, 01:47
Its 18 points, and if it saves the life of one warrior from shooting it just saved you 19 points, so I would argue that it is viable for sure.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
26-02-2014, 04:51
Its 18 points, and if it saves the life of one warrior from shooting it just saved you 19 points, so I would argue that it is viable for sure.

This. A point a model for chaos warriors is *nothing,* and the increase in durability against shooting attacks is substantial. The bulk of shooting/template attacks are S3, so you're looking at a 50% failure rate versus a 33% failure rate. That's pretty huge, especially when you're talking about 19-point models.

Lord Solar Plexus
26-02-2014, 06:05
Well, whether a CW costs 20, 25 or 30 points is really irrelevant.

I Am Forsaken
26-02-2014, 07:59
Whole heartedly agree, I always take shields on my halberd khorne warriors and have never felt like it was a waste of points.

Avian
26-02-2014, 12:44
If you're taking additional hand weapons on Chaos Warriors you are already doing it wrong, so it doesn't hurt. Much. :p

SpanielBear
26-02-2014, 14:09
If a unit I though was armed with sword and board turned out to be armed with two hand weapons, I'd be a bit surprised. I'd still say go for it, just make sure it's clear on the models that the shields can be used offensively, with plenty of spikes and blades attached. I'd also suggest using smaller shields than the huge ones Chaos Warriors traditionally have, as trying to use those as hand weapons would be like trying to bludgeon someone to death with a surfboard...

william6128
26-02-2014, 17:39
Thematically speaking I always like to have my units use shields. They look cooler and make more sense from a personal combat perspective. But then that is the pesky history side of me coming out.