PDA

View Full Version : Can Vampires on Hellsteeds join units?

Lord Dan
26-02-2014, 05:42
So Hellsteeds may be one of the only models with the fly rule which is categorized as a "Warbeast". As such, when ridden by a character it becomes cavalry, and would therefore mean that a Vampire on a Hellsteed could join a unit of Black Knights normally. Am I missing something?

More importantly, the thought of a Black Knight "Submarine" bus launching flying Vampire torpedoes from its front rank amuses me beyond belief.

Blkc57
26-02-2014, 05:48
No, there is no reason the Hellsteed couldn't join a unit of Blackknights, its just that once he does he doesn't fly and moves at the speed of the BKs. I do the same thing with an Empire captain on a Pegasus and join him into a unit of Demi-griff Knights to give him a LoS save and them the Hold the Line rule. Its just that once he joins the Demi-griffs he is using his land movement until he leaves the unit. But yes you can conceivably launch vamps out of the unit. Actually the awesome tech I've always seen is running a Vamp on a flying hellsteed within 3 inches of a big unit of Hex-wraiths. He drops a 4+ LoS save for any shooting onto the ethereal Wraiths. And they benefit from having the general nearby to always be able to march.

Lord Solar Plexus
26-02-2014, 06:35
Perfectly fine. I join my Captasus to a unit of Spearmen. Flyers cannot join other flyers, monsters or chariots (and swarms I believe but would have to look it up; it's too rare an occurrence for me to know).

Btw, being cavalry or infantry doesn't matter. Cavalry for example can join other unit types just fine.

Lord Dan
26-02-2014, 07:03
Btw, being cavalry or infantry doesn't matter. Cavalry for example can join other unit types just fine.

No, I know, but it does mean he still gets a normal LoS, unlike your Pegasus Captain example. ;)

Ossirian
26-02-2014, 09:23
Disc of Tzeentch is also a warbeast. To my knowledge he can join the unit.
As far as I know, nowhere says that a flyer loses its fly rule(ie movement), if someone can quote me a ref I will stand corrected ofc.
The flying model would be limited to the slowest movement in the unit though this is true.
Isn't a Pegasus a monsterous beast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Solar Plexus
26-02-2014, 14:00
No, I know, but it does mean he still gets a normal LoS, unlike your Pegasus Captain example. ;)

True, although that isn't a huge issue. Normal shooting including bolters can't hit him, so it's mainly cannon - and who takes those anyways! :)

Seriously, if cannon are present, I can always opt to place him behind a building or behind his buddy (I've got more than one) with the charmed shield, and he's got a ward. He hasn't died for a loooong time.

bigbiggles
27-02-2014, 06:27
Yes, pegasi are monstrous beasts. So rarely a los save