PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the leftover bits?

Shidensen
26-02-2014, 17:02
The amount of leftover bits from kits is beginning to take up more space than I'd like, so I'm curious as to what other people do with their bits.

I leave them attached (like they were in the box) and put them in a box so I can keep them relatively organized and if some parts match together (some Tau pieces come to mind) I don't have to hunt down the other part. It also keeps all of the say, State Troop bits together if I want to convert Swordsmen to Halberdiers. I am debating about taking them off the sprue and making little boxes for each but that could be a lot of boxes!

How do you store yours (if at all)?

tezdal
26-02-2014, 17:04
Clip 'em, store in 'em in the bitz box for future conversion mayhem. I keep one box for fantasy and one for 40k.

Ramius4
26-02-2014, 17:20
I have 2 large tackle boxes with a big compartment on top (for larger bits, hobby tools, etc.). The front opens up and holds 4 smaller plastic cases that slide completely out. Each case has roughly 20 compartments so there's plenty of space to separate various types of bits.

Using the tackle boxes takes up a lot less space than leaving things on sprues does.

Lastavenger
26-02-2014, 17:29
Go to tool shop ( I don't know how you call it. The one that sell hammers and nails) and buy plastic box with drawers. That way bitz don't mix. Label each drawer with marker.

Nerd Knight
26-02-2014, 17:36
Go to tool shop ( I don't know how you call it. The one that sell hammers and nails) and buy plastic box with drawers. That way bitz don't mix. Label each drawer with marker.

This is exactly what I do. I keep bits from each kit in its own drawer and then miscellaneous bits in properly sorted drawers (human heads, weapons, etc)

I used to have the same problem as you, too many bits not enough room (I live in a pretty small apartment) so I had to cut things off the sprue and let me tell you its saved me a lot of space.

Timathius
26-02-2014, 17:42
Tackle boxes for sure.

Though at one point you need to call it enough on certain bits (for me Cadian lasgun arms). What I do then is donate to my FLGS in case they need any extra bits or can find a good home for them.

Dark Aly
26-02-2014, 18:05
one big box and shove everything in, you never know from where that perfect bit for your epic conversion will come from.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
26-02-2014, 18:46
We have a guy in our group with army ADD. He starts a new army every 6 months to a year, selling his old one. He also makes each of his units with minimal extra bits.

...then throws the rest away....

It just breaks my heart :(

Ramius4
26-02-2014, 19:16
...then throws the rest away....

Over my 20 years of warhammer, there have been a couple times I threw anything away thinking "I'll NEVER use those bits." Last time I did that was almost 10 years ago, when I tossed out my spare bitz from the Dwarf Quarreller kit.

Literally last week I was looking for those damn crossbows when I remembered what I had done.

I cannot tell you how many times now I've looked for bits that I thought I would never use.

Spiney Norman
26-02-2014, 19:38
I clip them off the sprue and bag them by kit and box them by army (mail-order boxes usually) so I can find the parts I want later.

So for example I have a wood elves box which contains a glade guard bag, a dryad bag and a glade rider bag

IcedCrow
26-02-2014, 19:45
After 16 years of warhammer, my bitz box is legendary.

boli
26-02-2014, 20:05
I've recently started my 5th bits box... I have no idea what I'm going to do with the leftover bits from building 4 phoenixs

Rawdogg15
26-02-2014, 20:35
I received a plastic filing tray type thing with three drawers in it for Christmas. I have one tray for fantasy, one for 40k and one for possible future projects I.e. Either under coated models that I don't have time to paint at present or bits for conversion ideas. So far it is working exactly as I would want. Previously, everything was on sprues in the boxes they were bought in. I have so much more space to store new purchases now :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morrslieb
26-02-2014, 21:09
I use plastic boxes /and in occasion cookie jars) to store them. One army per box (my OnG bits are on their 3rd box already tho :D).

Treadhead_1st
26-02-2014, 21:18
Clip the bits off the sprue and put them in take-away plastic containers.

My High Elves have 3 boxes (Lords & Heroes, Core choices, Special & Rare choices); my Imperial Guard 2 very full boxes (infantry and vehicles), my Space Marines 5 boxes (old infantry, terminators, scouts, new infantry, vehicles). The advantage is that they are all fairly small, stackable, and see-through. And can either be obtained for free or bought from pound/dollar/whatever stores in large quantities.

I never throw anything away...not after binning an entire army years ago (for personal reasons) - all the little odds-and-ends will likely never have a use, but when that lightning-bolt of inspiration strikes it is useful to have tons of bits to play around with.

theunwantedbeing
26-02-2014, 21:49
Leftover bits of mine do one of the following
1. Stay on the sprue and go into the box of sprues with bits left on
2. Get clipped off the sprue and put into whichever bits box is nearest (with luck this will an ordered one and they'll be placed in order)

I never throw anything away, except by accident.

Lance Tankmen
26-02-2014, 22:45
i gave my to my local game store i support, great escape, they sell them for like 20 cents etc etc, i kept ones i liked

Voss
26-02-2014, 22:51
Bag 'em and box 'em. Keeping SM bits around for years was nice when I started working on a CSM army. The extra variety of bolters, pistols, chainswords, shoulder pads and especially special weapons was really useful. Plus helmets that lacked topknots or horns...

tezdal
26-02-2014, 22:56
So am I the only one that chops up sprues and keeps them for terrains bits and future projects too?

Ramius4
26-02-2014, 23:00
After 16 years of warhammer, my bitz box is legendary.

After 21 years, I would challenge anyone on these forums to a bitz comparison ;) Except Harry I think. That man has crazy skills acquiring rare and wonderful things, like the unreleased Dwarf character sprue. I mean seriously, how does someone get that?! I'm a person who refuses to pay the new price point for infantry kits ($50 for 10 models), but I do not joke when I say that I would throw down $100 without blinking an eye if someone offered me that old sprue.

So am I the only one that chops up sprues and keeps them for terrains bits and future projects too?

Nope, but I don't keep stuff like that on hand, as I usually have a few sprues around that I can grab when I need them.

Also, adding leftover sprue bits to a bottle of testor's plastic cement (the liquid version with the brush attached to the cap) will dissolve into a very useful substance. I call it "sprue glue". Great for filling gaps, especially on some of the older plastic cavalry models. It fills the gap, and can be filed down as easily as plastic, leaving no visible seams at all.

stortotta
27-02-2014, 01:22
I actually have nine bitsboxes. Been playing (and hoarding, got a lot of money growing up, blew it on GW) for almost 20 years. One large box (the size of Three shoe-boxes) per army, with larger bits and whole minis, as well as a smaller box (kept in the larger box) for the smallest bits and pieces, like pipes from the Dwarf Warriors and such. Sure, it's a few boxes, but they stack on top of each other, so they take up a minimal amount of space! I'm happy with it!

Dark Aly
27-02-2014, 07:31
Bits on sprues take up far more space than loose bits. Whether or not you like to sort or jumble I'd advise you to clip them from sprues so they're less of a deal to store.

Sexiest_hero
27-02-2014, 07:58
Give them to kids starting out, or people trying to wyswyg. People have given me bits I needed, and I give what I can. Pay it forward. The good karma never hurts either

Urgat
27-02-2014, 08:07
I clip them away from their sprues and put them in little zip bags, and then in boxes. And I rarely use them, as it turns out.

Luigi
28-02-2014, 04:54
Guys, if any of you have any un-needed bits, please DO send them to me: I'm building terrain and I found that terrain to be truly good needs bits, lots of them which i don't have.
So if you have bits that will never use and are just taking up space send them to me, seriously: I'll gladly repay any postage cost. :)

Sanai
28-02-2014, 05:57
I have bitz boxes for each army.
When I start a new army I often look over various bitz selling websites and pool together a collection of bitz that may come in handy for that army- particularly useful for undead (beastmen in particular have good bits for undead strangely enough) and any type of marine army.

Throwing away bitz is something I could never contemplate doing.

Skywave
28-02-2014, 07:19
Google "part cabinet", and get that to sort out and store your bits :) You can get that wherever you can buy tools, here in Canada you can find it in Canadian Tire amongst other, and it's really cheap and more often than not on sale too. Really helpful, save space and make finding something quite easier!

Plus, you can do some nice thing with your unused bits (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?390264-Warseer-s-Junkcopter-Fleet-Hangar) (shameless plug) :P

Rakariel
28-02-2014, 08:40
Got a various number of large bitz boxes for every army I own. I cut the bitz off the sprues and put em into smaller bitz boxes which have a label on them telling me which unit type it contains. Makes it very easy to find appropriate stuff if I am building dioramas or need spare parts for conversions.

Oogie boogie boss
28-02-2014, 09:02
Clip them and bitz box. Saves on space and gives me a nice trove of stuff to go through when needed.

lybban
28-02-2014, 10:00
I have several metal boxes with small plastic drawers. I have such a huge amount of bitz that i dont know what to do with them. Arms are the most useless bitz. I have a million arms from different races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelfunit.
28-02-2014, 10:05
Right now I am using a few of the dwarf bits to make a "junk-copter" (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?390264-Warseer-s-Junkcopter-Fleet-Hangar).

Kingly
28-02-2014, 11:10
I trim and hang onto mine for bases and stuff, that's if they'll never make a conversion territory.

Athelassan
28-02-2014, 11:13
I have several bitz boxes, organised by part type (heads/bodies/right arms/left arms/legs/weapons/random crap although I need to expand some of the sections since the right arm, weapons and random crap boxes are overflowing, and the heads aren't far behind. I also have a large box for particularly big pieces of random crap from vehicle, artillery, terrain kits etc. It's very rare I actually use the bitz for anything, although the weapons and gubbinz stuff sees service occasionally: I just can't bring myself to throw any of this stuff away. I've paid for it, after all.

childsoldier
02-03-2014, 16:54
I wish I were as organised as some of the people on here. I have several battalion boxes brimming with tiny parts to full models and even some old toys (I started collecting when I was 12 and just threw them in together). Recently I've tried organising by army/what I think they might be used for, but it's an uphill struggle with so much stuff being so ridiculously unsorted. My advice would be organise well and organise early. And definitely take them off the sprues, you'll cut your space requirements down by at least half.

EDIT: And the most important of all never ever EVER throw something away You'd be surprised by how often you'll have an idea that requires that one bit you saw and thought "who the hell would ever use that?" If you really want to get rid of stuff, give it to people from your gaming group or put it up on ebay. Never bin Warhammer!

lbecks
02-03-2014, 20:08
I keep them. Sometimes I practice painting on them.

Spork
03-03-2014, 13:40
I've recently started my 5th bits box... I have no idea what I'm going to do with the leftover bits from building 4 phoenixs

You could've purchased only 2 Phoenixes and 1 Hobbit Eagle Box and convert the gorgeous Hobbit Eagles to Flamespyre Phoenixes (they are a bit smaller, but that is only fitting, since the Flamespyre are the younger/smaller ones). Saves up a lot of money and you barely have leftover bits. I've almost finished my Flamespyre Phoenix Conversion, and i really like it. It really distinguishes itself next to the 'original' Frostheart Phoenix kit! Just use the Flame Tail and Wings (and some green stuff to fill up gaps and add a reasonable amount of Flames).

To continue this Topic:
I have one Fantasy and one 40K bits box, where I've sorted out the heads/bodies/arms/weapons/accessories/big parts per race. Although I have more then enough spare parts, I always end up asking a friend for 'alien' bits (because I don't think it's cool for my own Armies to fight each other and parade with their cabinet-neighbours skulls :P). The question my girlfriend asks my on a regular basis: 'Why don't you melt them down and create moulds/new models?'... I'd rather stick with conversions... and collecting bits...

Kingly
03-03-2014, 13:46
I'm currently finding that the EMpire range has been brilliant to help theme my entire army using the Flagellant sprues, the models are so amazing and the pack which is really cheap comes with 22 heads, and the heads are amazing man.

So basically every unit I have now has a 'Deranged' look about them, ace!

shadowrider
08-03-2014, 11:08
I remember that I traded some of the bitz i got for other parts I liked but there is still alot at home =/