PDA

View Full Version : Are Astartes Librarians tested by the Black Ships?

USASOCRanger
26-02-2014, 19:27
The title is self explanatory. I am writing some of the background for my DIY chapter and was wondering if Librarians are tested and trained solely by the Chapter, or if they are ever tested by the Inquisition?

Inquisitor Engel
26-02-2014, 20:15
Short answer: Maybe. Depends on the Chapter.

In all likelihood, no. From what we've seen, librarians come up through normal induction processes and trials and are identified as recruits upon entry into the Chapter by members of the Librarius. If they exhibited prodigious psychic powers prior to being inducted, they were probably taken by the Inquisition, but there's some circumstantial evidence that psychic abilities don't really blossom until puberty, which Space Marines typically recruit before.

It's also worth noting that many chapters recruit from death worlds, feudal worlds, or worlds where the presence of the Adeptus Terra is minimal at best. Also by virtue of being Space Marine home worlds, they are exempt from other Imperial tithes, so the Black Ships may not even go anywhere near them.

Vaulkhar
26-02-2014, 20:33
The notable exception being the Grey Knights who (with the exception of scouted talent like the boy who would become 'Hyperion') get pretty much all their recruit stock from the Black Ships.

USASOCRanger
26-02-2014, 21:28
Thank you very much, that was as I suspected.