PDA

View Full Version : Plastic mini`s

jprp
27-02-2014, 16:46
Are you all aware of the 1/72 ranges "Dark Alliance" and "Light Alliance"?
They were done by "Orion" originally but are now done by another company.
Light Alliance so far is various boxes of Elves or Dwarfs and Dark Alliance has several varients of Orcs and Warg Riders and now 4 different boxes of ARMY OF THE DEAD, they retail at 7-8 per box of which infantry contain about 40 figures.
As i say these are 1/72 rather than 25/28mm but im sure they could be mixed with GW LOTR or simply used instead. Another manufacturer is Ceaser miniatures who do the "same scale" (although the Alliance Elves are certainly taller) and i use some of their orcs as goblins for whfb so if nothing else they are good for "Snaga" in middle earth settings.

For anyone thinking of starting War of the Ring you could save a ton of money by taking the 1/72 route from the start or as i have said bulking out your Orc forces (particularly Moria).

These figures are usually larger than Historical models by the same manufacturer so its worth seeing if they are acceptable to you.

Anyone who is already aware of the range, do you have a comparison between the Army of the Dead figures and a GW LOTR human.

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 07:45
As i say these are 1/72 rather than 25/28mm

If you take an adult male human as being 180cm tall, then 25mm is 1/72 scale.

jprp
01-03-2014, 14:38
If you take an adult male human as being 180cm tall, then 25mm is 1/72 scale.
Yes, but i was wondering if anyone actually has some for comparison with GW LOTR, the Caesar orcs would be on the small side as Uruks but are fine for a "standard" Orc or Snaga slave, The light alliance Elves are actually very tall at 28-30mm so hight wise fine with GW LOTR but they are very willowy ,i havent had any Fantasy humans by Caesar or Alliance so dont know how they hold up, i didn`t even know the Army of the Dead stuff was out `till the other day (apparently they came out back end of2013) but the pics i`ve seen look good.
If i was starting Fantasy today i would go 1/72 all the way as you can have true hordes for very little outlay.

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 17:43
Interesting. I hadn't realised the Elves were so big. Some of the models are pretty nice from what I've seen using a bit of google-fu, but if I was starting fantasy again I'd go for 10mm - a lot of decent models now, for relatively minimal cost, several potential rule sets and proper mass battles that really cannot be compared to larger scale games.

jprp
01-03-2014, 18:03
I have a side project in 2mm for Tolkien stuff that will include Silmarillion Characters, i will try Warmaster rules but there will be 80+ inf per base, 6+10mm figs will be "Good" Miar while i have some 15mm Demons for Balrogs, Morgoth will probably be a 28mm Sauron and i have a 40mm figure for Tulkas so these will be somepowerfull armies. For War of the ring setting battles at this scale i have 8 fellbeast Ring wraiths +the Witch King on his beast is at 6mm scale to provide an obvious difference in power i have 6mm Elephants as Mumakil.
If this works out well i may well recreate my WHFB armies in 2mm.
The down side with 10mm is that it is about the same cost per figure as some 1/72 plastics, though you obviously have way more table space.

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 21:47
I have a side project in 2mm for Tolkien stuff that will include Silmarillion Characters, i will try Warmaster rules but there will be 80+ inf per base, 6+10mm figs will be "Good" Miar while i have some 15mm Demons for Balrogs, Morgoth will probably be a 28mm Sauron and i have a 40mm figure for Tulkas so these will be somepowerfull armies. For War of the ring setting battles at this scale i have 8 fellbeast Ring wraiths +the Witch King on his beast is at 6mm scale to provide an obvious difference in power i have 6mm Elephants as Mumakil.
If this works out well i may well recreate my WHFB armies in 2mm.
The down side with 10mm is that it is about the same cost per figure as some 1/72 plastics, though you obviously have way more table space.

2mm sounds like a lot of work to distinguish unit types, although you'll be able to have proper 1:1 scale battles, post some pics :) The LotR plastic 1/72s are 7-8 for 40 as you posted above, 10mm Kalistra models are (if bought in the "6 packs for the price of 5" deal) the equivalent of 40 for 5, so in pure per model count about 25% cheaper, but on the table top would look a lot less. So many scales, so little time...

jprp
01-03-2014, 22:55
At 2mm i consider "normal troops" to be playing pieces and i think it is best to simply distinguish them by colour-eg i have Elven foot troops in a metallic blue, dwarfs dressed in brown etc you can then put more effort into the big stuff, so far i`ve used mainly Irregular mini sculpts for elves,men and dwarfs and a few Orcs but have made loads of orc stands myself.
I have posted pics in the past on a 2mm gaming site but have not touched the project in about a year.
If i can remember the site i will post a link.

shelfunit.
02-03-2014, 07:30
If you're on taccomms they have a dedicated 2mm painting thread, although it is a bit underused...

jprp
02-03-2014, 10:34
http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=23033