PDA

View Full Version : Arjac Rockfist Novella

Bellerophon
27-02-2014, 18:43
So for those who haven't heard, or opened their e-mail, BL just put out to their newsletter subscribers the chance to order the new Lord of the Space Marines, Arjac Rockfist. I shamelessly admit that I bought the deluxe edition which includes not only the pretty nice looking box, but contained in it:

The Hardback Novella
Audio CD
Resin Rune Shield
Number/Signed

Personally, I am as much as a collector as a reader of BL stuff, and I do love Ben Counter's work. I do want to hear everyone else's thoughts though on it. I know many were not happy about the price tag on the Macragge's Honour (Deluxe version of Arjac was 120 American, Limited was 60 American)

Darke
27-02-2014, 19:19
I like that there are two versions - one for US$60, which is the same that the Mephiston limited edition cost a year ago, and a deluxe edition for those willing to spend extra money.

I do not like how this is an edition with a strict limitation, and not a limited time edition - previous strict limitation books usually sold out almost instantly, which was very annoying.

GamingHarry
27-02-2014, 19:24
70 for a Novella is far to much, I didn't mind spending that much money on Macragge's honour as I really enjoy graphic novels and the first HH Graphic novel feels like something I wanted to own, But another Novella about a Chapter I personally don't care much for, not happening. The Limited 35 edition I am considering, but once more as I'm not a Space Wolves fan I think it might be worth giving a miss.

Mind you that Shield its pretty cool, just not 70 cool.

Bellerophon
27-02-2014, 19:53
I like that there are two versions - one for US$60, which is the same that the Mephiston limited edition cost a year ago, and a deluxe edition for those willing to spend extra money.

I do not like how this is an edition with a strict limitation, and not a limited time edition - previous strict limitation books usually sold out almost instantly, which was very annoying.

Did they do a deluxe edition on Mephiston?

DarkChaplain
27-02-2014, 22:04
I find it hilarious that they do Limited editions of already limited novellas, while going back to the "x copies worldwide" scheme over the "to order this week only" pattern. I assume that is to make sure people will actually buy the Deluxe edition for twice the already hefty price.

And for the record, one of the short stories from the chapbook, which happens to be the one included as an audiobook with the Deluxe edition, is Twelve Wolves, which was printed at least twice (Legends of the Space Marines & Space Marines Omnibus), and is available for 3 bucks as an ebook.

For me, 20€ is already stretching it for a novella, but I am willing to take that jump if I enjoy an author's work and related material (see: Yarrick: Chains of Golgotha or Thorgrim), but now having a 90€ edition of one of these? Heck, that's the price of at least one and a half full-price triple-A video games, and more than I paid for the limited edition of 3rd Edition Space Hulk I bought in 2008. Imagine this! It costs more than a full boardgame with a dozen of Terminators, two dozen Genestealers and all kinds of shenanigans!

As much as I'd like to read the novella, and as shiny as the Deluxe edition is, this is a trend I absolutely cannot stomach. I'm tempted to order a copy anyway and put it onto ebay in a few months, though. People will go crazy over it.

Bellerophon
28-02-2014, 00:28
I can understand what you're saying. As a collector, for me, I love the look of it. Is it gimmicky in ways? Ofcourse. But if this was a chapter I didn't really enjoy, I probably would of gone with just the limited. Sometimes it's nice to splurge on some things. I remember though looking at Visions of Heresy and laughing myself silly. $250US for that? When I just got it for 40-something odd dollars on an Amazon Pre-order. Something like that isn't even worth a second glance. Plus the non-limited VoH will look very nice with my other novellas.

cornonthecob
28-02-2014, 09:15
I really hope he speaks in Shakespearian like Marvels Thor.

"Thou dost vex me Ork, have at thee !"

laudarkul
28-02-2014, 09:43
Yesterday I just received the Macragge's Honour as well as my first salary on 2014. So I could not resist to buy the deluxe edition. Just for this time in order to appease the collector and reader of the BL books....

Darke
28-02-2014, 11:19
BL has always been pretty good at reprinting their limited editions - I would expect this content to be available in the future.

Was there this much complaining about the limited edition Liber Chaotica books a decade ago? Those things were extremely expensive and sold out instantly too.

DarkChaplain
28-02-2014, 18:08
BL has always been pretty good at reprinting their limited editions - I would expect this content to be available in the future.

Was there this much complaining about the limited edition Liber Chaotica books a decade ago? Those things were extremely expensive and sold out instantly too.

The Liber Chaotica books were artbooks, not 120 page novellas. They had handwritten notes all over the pages, art, sketches, those things were beastly, and if I remember correctly, they were still cheaper than the limited edition novellas. Heck, the reprint of Liber Chaotica Complete cost me 35€, not 60€ like the standard limited edition of Arjac.

Bellerophon
28-02-2014, 18:32
The Liber Chaotica books were artbooks, not 120 page novellas.
Some people enjoy the stories themselves and the items they come with. The box itself is rather nice along with the CD. I think it's a matter of what are you going to hold in high esteem, not so much as one is better than the other.

DarkChaplain
01-03-2014, 04:19
Some people enjoy the stories themselves and the items they come with. The box itself is rather nice along with the CD. I think it's a matter of what are you going to hold in high esteem, not so much as one is better than the other.

Of course it is based on preference, but there is absolutely no arguing that every single volume of the Liber Chaotica took an enormous amount of time and effort to create, and that the product's quality, as a hardback, fully colored artbook, is easily on par with that of these limited editions.

Doesn't help when one of the stories in the chapbook, the one on the CD, has been printed at least TWICE over the past years. No, I was wrong, THREE times - Legends of the Space Marines, Space Marines Omnibus and There Is Only War, and it is available as an ebook for 3 bucks.
Yes, the box is shiny, but not 90€ shiny. It is a nice collector's item, but one that just proves again that the fanbase will pay any price for such things. And people wonder why GW keeps bumping up prices across the board all the time....
Just looking at ebay for the previous limited edition stuff may make your brain explode.

Bellerophon
01-03-2014, 15:00
I agree with you that the prices are ludicrous for certain items. For one, I absolutely refused to get Visions of Heresy when it originally came out. And this is coming from someone that purchased LE novellas off ebay for about $40US over face.

I'm not arguing that Liber Chaotica took a lot of time and effort. But using that logic I feel like Macragge's Honour's tag is completely justifiable than, being a story and complete artwork. Now granted, everyone has only seen snippets of it but the artwork that we have seen is really beautiful. As for the reprint of Liber Chaotica, I can't argue it's a bit silly that Arjac still beats it out on price, despite it being limited edition.