PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles of civilians in 40K

Infern0
27-02-2014, 20:10
Hi guys! I always wondered what do they look like! I`ve read quite a few novels (Ravener, Horus Heresy for example) but never found any descriptions of non military cars or fliers or bikes. General curiosity and distant dreams to make a Necromunda gaming table with trashed vans converted into buggies finaly made me post this question. I couldn`t find any pictures.. Maybe I was digging in te wrong places.

Anyway, any info on that is VERY welcome! Thank you!
And how do you imagine busy streets in the grim da.. blah blah future? :)

Personaly, I view cars having a lot of angles, with no radical difference compared to what we have now (a few wheels and a Chassis), but they still vary in design. (Driver`s seat in the middle, with other space, like boot on top and passanger seats at the rear). Also I bet that metro is a main transport in most Cities of the Imperium.

Navar
27-02-2014, 20:12
They look like limousines (http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1343/31/1343319674306.jpg).

Langdon
27-02-2014, 20:13
My bet they will all look like the Ford Focus.. god knows there are many variants as is.. imagine after 38 thousand years?

Navar
27-02-2014, 20:18
Okay, serious answer. Dakka has a page (http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_vehicles_in_40k) about it that seems to be fairly well researched.

Infern0
27-02-2014, 20:19
They look like limousines (http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1343/31/1343319674306.jpg).

Forgot about Doomrider`s friends` hot wheels. :D Goofy limouisens with spikes will go into my list..

Infern0
27-02-2014, 20:25
Okay, serious answer. Dakka has a page (http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Civilian_vehicles_in_40k) about it that seems to be fairly well researched.
wow!! Thank you VERY MUCH! :)

Theocracity
27-02-2014, 20:36
I remember seeing a neat modeling project somewhere. A person took an Ork Trukk and de-looted it back into an Imperial civilian vehicle. Wish I could remember where I saw it though....

Edit: Aha, it's listed in that thread! Nice.

Navar
27-02-2014, 20:51
Dave Taylor did (http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2009/02/you-dont-always-get-to-ride-in-luxury.html)this (http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2009/03/rumble-of-heavy-armor.html)a number of years ago.

Wolf Lord Balrog
27-02-2014, 22:48
When Apocalypse first came out GW created this awesome Imperial Armored Train for an online article. This picture only shows like the front third of it. It was really nice.

frosty1580
28-02-2014, 02:41
I think it wouldn't be too bad using airfix landrovers/tanks as civilian/militia vehicles as either bits of terrain of guns for hire, you could get an 'old' abrams tank with the imperial eagle insignia mounted on the sides or front, i think that would like pretty cool

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Infern0
28-02-2014, 06:35
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! :)

Grand Master Azrael
28-02-2014, 10:19
The Ultramarines Novel Warriors of Ultramar has an Imperial Train if I remember correctly. I'm not sure, but I think Angels of Darkness might have reference to Civilian vehicles.

AndrewGPaul
28-02-2014, 10:22
40k is a varied enough setting that anything goes. The Ciaphas Cain novels feature a range of civilian vehicles on a variety of worlds. On Periremunda, there was a huge number of civilian aircraft - everything from single-seater light planes to huge cargo vehicles. Going by the descriptions, anti-grav was in common use. Even on other worlds - Adumbria, for example - civilian hover cars weren't particularly unusual. The equivalent of a big 5-series Beemer, perhaps. Amberley Vail notably drives a D'Lorien Raptor :)

If you can find it, there was a four-page spread on the "Eye of Terror" in the original Rogue Trader rulebook - before it was a place of daemons, and just a sector occasionally obscured by warp storms. That showed a few examples of civilian and paramilitary vehicles.

Whitetip
28-02-2014, 13:42
Forgeworld does the Arvus Lighter which is described as a pretty common shuttle, sometimes pressed into military service. It's also one of my favourite models. Oh, and the Sentinel Powerloader would probably be a common sight in starports etc. I've also always thought that civilian versions those Elysian Tauros buggies would be great on an agri-world or something.

Dryaktylus
28-02-2014, 23:45
These fancy Eldar womanizers (IF they're straight) have their own ride:

tezdal
01-03-2014, 00:24
In the Grim Darkness of Warhammer there is only....Beige

carldooley
02-03-2014, 22:22
you can't go wrong with VW beetles. . .

hobojebus
03-03-2014, 14:36
Essentially civilians will have pretty low tech 4 wheel vehicles that run on a simple combustion engine, gothic looking but essentially modern car's.

Nobility would make a show of it "horse" drawn carriages that have suspensor's in place of wheel's, the really wealthy maybe having full blown speeder's but unlike what dan abnett seem's to think that would be rare rather than the norm.

Trains for mass transit makes alot of sense from the administratum's point of view, populations that have limited movement are much easier to control than those that can go where they please when they please, a form of fluidic despotism.

I've also always thought air travel would be primarily military and governmental again to restrict civilian movement to better control and keep track of them.

RanaldLoec
03-03-2014, 14:58
The Dan Abnett novel Double Eagle described an Imperial supply vehicle which won't be far from a civilian truck.

The caiphus Cain novel where he leads a squad of trainee imperial commisars describes a few civilian vehicles from cars for dignitarys to local police bikes.

Because of the mixture of low and high tech worlds you can get away with horse drawn carts to high tech hover cars.

That's the beauty of there not been too much Canon back ground material on civilian vehicles you can fit almost anything in.

The one limitation would be nothing too high tech as that's purely reserved for, mechanicum, astartes and the inquisition

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Kingly
03-03-2014, 15:04
From what I have read they're mostly fossil fuel based four wheeled automobiles, much like what you see on the roads in our world right now. I remember reading something from Dan Abnett and the guys kept riding around in an antique soft top.

Also the old Genestealer cults used to have 1920's Gangster style vehicles that were hilarious...

Sir Didymus
03-03-2014, 16:05
I got Coteaz a rare Rolls Royce Chimera - check my sig for pics :)

Chem-Dog
03-03-2014, 18:09
For cities, tones of Art Deco and Streamline Moderne for me, the exuberance of design there is a smart contrast to the Gothic and brooding architecture typical in the Imperium but ends up complementing the setting when you realise the vehicles are ancient, or at least ancient designs reproduced by rote, absent of any innovation, and thus become a symbol of stagnation. Like how the pictures of Cuban cities are still full of cars produced in the 1950's.
For obvious reasons a lot of Diesel Punk designs particularly fit my vision of civilian machines in 40K,

AndrewGPaul
03-03-2014, 18:24
Trains for mass transit makes alot of sense from the administratum's point of view, populations that have limited movement are much easier to control than those that can go where they please when they please, a form of fluidic despotism.

The Administratum don't give a monkey's what the civilians choose to move around in.

There's no "right" answer. As in many cases, choose what suits your aesthetic preference.

Mr_Rose
04-03-2014, 18:46
The Administratum don't give a monkey's what the civilians choose to move around in.

There's no "right" answer. As in many cases, choose what suits your aesthetic preference.

Yeah, this. The Administratum doesn't (indeed cannot, by treaty) interfere in the governance of Imperial Worlds except as regards to Pan-Imperial law (heresy and treason for the most part – the Imperium as a whole doesn't, technically, have laws on, say, murder; that's a local affair) so individual worlds can be as varied as you like. In fact there's no reason you couldn't have a world that's set up pretty much like modern Earth, with theoretically independent nation states trading resources with one hand and fighting petty proxy wars with the other, only with a Governor in overall charge collecting the Tithe. The Governor could even be elected.

Anyway, the point is that, basically, somewhere in the 40k galaxy, the second DeLorean Motor Corp. was a runaway success and there's a whole world full of DMC-13's somewhere out there, micro-fusion powered suspensorlift turbines and all.

AndrewGPaul
05-03-2014, 12:06
Except they're called Raptors. :)

Various novels have implied that civilian anti-gravity technology is quite widespread in the Imperium. Its apparent absence from the Imperial Guard can be put down to high maintenance requirements and ease of operation. Even then, you've got things like Storm Troopers and Elysians using grav-chutes (which are available in the underhive of Necromunda, albeit quite rarely) and possibly the common use of suspensors on heavy equipment (which was the ratrionale in 2nd edition for doing away with movement penalties for heavy weapons).

Ambience 327
05-03-2014, 16:26
Anyway, the point is that, basically, somewhere in the 40k galaxy, the second DeLorean Motor Corp. was a runaway success and there's a whole world full of DMC-13's somewhere out there, micro-fusion powered suspensorlift turbines and all.

Impossible. The Ordo Chronos have siezed the entire DMC line and all records pertaining to it. :D