PDA

View Full Version : Tau, Farsight Enclave and an all suit army..

Merellin
27-02-2014, 20:22
So, A friend just revived this old idea for me and I was curious if it would work? I'm intrested in getting the Farsight Enclave book (Is it any good? I know it is a supplement and only has about 2 pages of rules but still) and running an all suit army, Basically Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, Broadsides, A Riptide (Only want one)... Maybe, Maaaaybe I'l throw in some other fun units too, Like Sniper Drones and Vespids (Despite me hearing Vespids are the worst thing in the book) but I dont want much normal infantry, And no ethereal. So.. Would this work..? would it be possible to play in for fun matches? (Not hyper competetive tournament stuff, Just for fun with friends in friendly matches)

azza88
27-02-2014, 21:42
The Farsight enclave is a brilliant book! It contains an additional 7 characters from the Farsight full that form his bodyguard unit... one of which is a riptide. You are correct in assuming that the majority of the book is fluff and missions with only 3 pages of rules, for the life of my i don't know why gw includes more pages of scenarios than rules... I have yet to find someone that plays more than the rulebook scenarios.

Wolf Lord Balrog
27-02-2014, 22:29
Farsight Enclave works just fine as a list in its own right, as long as you aren't in a very-competitive environment. Its weaknesses are that its HQs aren't nearly as good as the Tau Empire ones due to lack of Tau Empire support systems (unless you are building a list with Farsight himself and some members of The Eight, which gets expensive fast though), and that Crisis suits make kinda iffy Troops (due to relative fragility unless you shell out for a ton of drones for each team, and they don't have the weight of anti-infantry firepower that Fire Warriors do unless you equip them all with dual Burst Cannons). But these are pretty minor drawbacks in a less-than-extremely-competitive environment.

Akwikone
27-02-2014, 22:30
An all suit list is viable at mid-to-higher points (1250-1850, I'd Say). As always, watch out for battle cannons and the like, you lose a lot more points than few Kroot for each hit and you can't keep your Suits safely in a Devilfish to get into a position to take objectives. Also, If your group allows Forgeworld, Pick up some XV9s to have suits in every slot.

One the subject of Vespid, while probably the worst unit in the codex, they're not really too bad now, especially if your Meta has a lot of MEQ. Especially when compared to the likes of Ripper Swarms, Pyrovores, Mandrakes, Howling Banshees and flayed ones. All the respective worst units of their codeci and while not useless, they under perform compared to other choices even in their preferred role. While Vespid are actually quite good at what they're supposed to do, even if they lose a lot, if not all of their use when up against TEQ and GEQ

druchii
27-02-2014, 22:32
So, A friend just revived this old idea for me and I was curious if it would work? I'm intrested in getting the Farsight Enclave book (Is it any good? I know it is a supplement and only has about 2 pages of rules but still) and running an all suit army, Basically Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, Broadsides, A Riptide (Only want one)... Maybe, Maaaaybe I'l throw in some other fun units too, Like Sniper Drones and Vespids (Despite me hearing Vespids are the worst thing in the book) but I dont want much normal infantry, And no ethereal. So.. Would this work..? would it be possible to play in for fun matches? (Not hyper competetive tournament stuff, Just for fun with friends in friendly matches)

I think the farsight book is one of the best supplements (mind you I haven't read the fluff in Sentinels of Terra yet). It gets you an entirely new army, a bunch of decent fluff, and some neat ideas (like an AI controlled broadside suit...I think it's a Broadside...) and a bunch of cool gear.

It also perfectly represents an all suit army.

d

Gorsameth
28-02-2014, 01:06
How about trying the actual Farsight Thread on the tactics forum.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?377036-Farsight-Enclaves-Tactica-Thread-6th-Edition

Merellin
28-02-2014, 16:15
I think I wont use all suits But suit heavy, With some kroot and Vespids and Piranhas and sniper drones. Maybe not so much Broadsides, And only one Riptide. And not so many missile pods on my Crisis Suits..

Mandragola
28-02-2014, 16:53
It's a fun list to play, definitely. Lots of moving about. The farsight tactica thread is a good place to look for advice.

Crisis suits as troops are interesting. They are fragile, but not all that fragile if you are sensible. Hiding helps! You get to carry very effective weapons for a troop unit, so the other guy's troops will tend to die pretty quickly as well. Anyway fire warriors are fragile too, so you get that whatever variety of Tau you play.

Edit: I would suggest one unit of suits with dual missile pods and target locks. That's a perfect place for your marker drones and commander to sit. It's not the most exciting unit but those 6-8 marker drones at BS5 will make a huge difference to you, and it's a scoring unit you ought to be able to keep safe.

For other units most of the other options are good. Perhaps surprisingly, I don't get good results from plasma squads though. They need to be within 12" to really do damage, and that feels too close. Squads with dual burst cannons are actually better a lot of the time, with way more shots, because there's so much cover in the game anyway. I generally haven't run melta squads but I think that might have to change now, if playing in a meta with super-heavies in large numbers.