PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer World Refurbishment

drakken
28-02-2014, 11:28
According to staff there the gaming hall at WHW is to close before the end of the year

Poncho160
28-02-2014, 11:34
Really? Did you speak to someone down there? :)

drakken
28-02-2014, 11:36
Yes, shop and bugmans will stay with half a dozen tables rest will be mothballed

nedsta
28-02-2014, 11:37
They are advertising a job down there, think it was museum manager or something similar, basically in charge of the displays, bugmans etc

tu33y
28-02-2014, 11:43
would not be shocked in the slightest... its just the kind of lunacy i would expect. they have cut the hours to the bone already.

MiyamatoMusashi
28-02-2014, 11:45
It's a refit (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?377684-GW-2012-13-Financial-Year-Results&p=6860925&viewfull=1#post6860925).

Herzlos
28-02-2014, 11:51
Yeah a refit makes more sense. The hall itself doesn't cost much to run; it's got tables but it's unstaffed. Keeping a few tables, the museum shop and Bugmans would mean they loose income without a match is savings (less gaming => less spent in shop and bugmans). The gaming area is probably GW's best investment.

There has been talk for a while to turn it more sci-fi though, rather than the Fantasy Facade, which fits with Fantasy not doing well.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
28-02-2014, 11:54
It's been the castle courtyard for a long time now. Maybe it is time for a wee change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tae
28-02-2014, 12:44
Also no WHW means no tournaments/events. That's a massive revenue stream to give up. And if anything they've been increasing the numbers of events recently.

shelfunit.
28-02-2014, 13:00
It's a refit (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?377684-GW-2012-13-Financial-Year-Results&p=6860925&viewfull=1#post6860925).

I knew I'd heard that somewhere before :shifty: A shame they're ditching the medieval theme, but done well (not just painted silver with a few air-con ducts placed around for dramatic effect) it could look quite good.

tu33y
28-02-2014, 14:08
iv heard seconds ago from a recent GW HQ leaver- yeah its going to be built out, be all glass and pretty, and will have a Black Library shop. and a new museum

because there are no more gamesdays everything is comming back to nottingham and it will be the complete hub of the entire thing.

Herzlos
28-02-2014, 14:27
Will it still have a gaming space, or is it going to go the ways of games day and be purely a sales centre?

Marked_by_chaos
28-02-2014, 14:39
Looking at recent job listings there seems to be a retained commitments to events, cool displays, gaming tables etc.

However, there was also a suggestion of paid entry - at least as part of the exhibition organiser role.

Marked_by_chaos
28-02-2014, 14:47
New job actually listed for venue manager. Gives a pretty good indication of future. Turning warhammer world into grander venue. Still reference to events etc, including external venues.

Jadawin
28-02-2014, 15:42
#quote fail

Jadawin
28-02-2014, 15:45
Looking at recent job listings there seems to be a retained commitments to events, cool displays, gaming tables etc.

However, there was also a suggestion of paid entry - at least as part of the exhibition organiser role.

Put your money on this happening, not that I have any inside info but, y`know.

TheFang
28-02-2014, 16:42

Given that the tables are about four or five 40k terrain to one Fantasy I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40k style makeover.
However, there was also a suggestion of paid entry - at least as part of the exhibition organiser role.They'd have to pick up the quality and quantity of display for that to be viable. I know I'd be asking for a refund when two or three armies have been removed for photography.

Spider-pope
28-02-2014, 17:22
Put your money on this happening, not that I have any inside info but, y`know.

I would bet on that too. You have to pay to visit other companies "museums" and HQ tours, i'm surprised GW hasn't done so sooner.

shelfunit.
28-02-2014, 17:28
I would bet on that too. You have to pay to visit other companies "museums" and HQ tours, i'm surprised GW hasn't done so sooner.

That'll cut attendance down considerably then, unless the museum increases in size exponentially.

Jim30
28-02-2014, 18:29
Just you wait - if they see people paying to get into WW, then before you know it we'll be paying for the privilege of going into their stores :-)

shelfunit.
28-02-2014, 19:34
...before you know it we'll be paying for the privilege of going into their stores :-)

I already do, with my sanity...

AlexHolker
28-02-2014, 21:52
Nah, the real money is in paid exit. :p

Sgt John Keel
01-03-2014, 01:50

When I was there in, say, 2003 there most assuredly was a small charge (somewhere in the region of £3) to access the museum part. I assume they have changed stuff since; I don't remember much in the way of studio armies on display.

azhagmorglum
01-03-2014, 03:38
Just you wait - if they see people paying to get into WW, then before you know it we'll be paying for the privilege of going into their stores :-)

Well they have already started to charge people for the "GW experience" so why not...

"Come along in our fantastic er...I mean futuristic store when you can buy er...I mean order our miniatures. Here, use our futuristic computer to do so. £5 please"

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 07:39
When I was there in, say, 2003 there most assuredly was a small charge (somewhere in the region of £3) to access the museum part. I assume they have changed stuff since; I don't remember much in the way of studio armies on display.

They saw you coming :p I went about 4 years ago and it was free - the "museum" - a single room, maybe 6 meters by 12 meters at most - is so small, despite containing some true classic miniature history, that I would have laughed at them if they tried to charge anything for it. The main hall and shop are well set out, definitely a good atmospheric gaming area, and Bugman's was an extremely nice place - decent beer, good atmosphere and ok pub grub.

Herzlos
01-03-2014, 08:03
WHW world is vastly different from what it was in 2003. My friend went down there in the late 90's and told me that it was full of giant (thousands of figures each) displays (which have subsequently been dumped), had a huge museum and ran factory tours - He's got an Epic Warhound titan he chose and watched them cast.

Now it's a small room on the 3rd floor, a pretty standard GW store, a gaming hall and a bar. The museum doesn't have much in the way of direction or theme (beyond starting with 40K and ending with Fantasy, having some displays in the middle and the occasional card with a line of history), so whilst you might see something unusual the odds are that if you didn't already know what it is you won't find out.

The gaming area is pretty decent though, plenty of space and scenery, and some of the feature boards are awesome. The bar is also pretty good; fairly standard gastro-pub stuff for pretty standard prices.

I'd probably be happy paying something for the gaming tables because they require upkeep and are a limited resource, but unless things changed drastically I wouldn't pay for the museum (since it hasn't changed in the last 3 years we've been in). I do normally buy something in the shop even if I don't need it, and we're usually in the bar for 3 meals over the trip + a days worth of refreshments & snacks.

nedsta
01-03-2014, 12:31
While it is nice seeing all the old figures in the museum, I preferred the old layout when the shop was downstairs.

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 13:07
While it is nice seeing all the old figures in the museum, I preferred the old layout when the shop was downstairs.

Has it changed and gone upstairs in the last few years then?

nedsta
01-03-2014, 13:39
At least since 6-7 years or so. I remember it used to get a bit crowded downstairs in the shop but the gaming hall was better before I thought.

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 14:16
At least since 6-7 years or so. I remember it used to get a bit crowded downstairs in the shop but the gaming hall was better before I thought.

It was definitely downstairs 4 years ago when I last went - under the arches at the side of the gaming hall.

nedsta
01-03-2014, 14:23
No no I meant actually ground floor level, with a little window at the back of the shop where you could see the casting room and watch as they cast up your figures there and then to collect. I'm sure you had to get a ticket or something to actually go upstairs and go to the old museum with the live action sets from the SW space hulk short film on display amongst other things.

WLBjork
01-03-2014, 16:24
Yep. When first opened, the shop was where you went in. You had to pay to be allowed upstairs.

The museum was roughly where the current shop is (although access was different), and contained all the Gamesday mega displays - the Ultramarines Chapter, the Siege of the Emperor's Palace, the Sulphur River battle and the WHFB ones (can't remember those, but one was Undead invading an Imperial Port).

Sgt John Keel
01-03-2014, 17:40
They saw you coming :p I went about 4 years ago and it was free - the "museum" - a single room, maybe 6 meters by 12 meters at most - is so small, despite containing some true classic miniature history, that I would have laughed at them if they tried to charge anything for it. The main hall and shop are well set out, definitely a good atmospheric gaming area, and Bugman's was an extremely nice place - decent beer, good atmosphere and ok pub grub.

Sounds pretty similar. They charged for the guided "tour", I'm not sure if people were allowed in otherwise.

WHW world is vastly different from what it was in 2003. My friend went down there in the late 90's and told me that it was full of giant (thousands of figures each) displays (which have subsequently been dumped), had a huge museum and ran factory tours - He's got an Epic Warhound titan he chose and watched them cast.

Now it's a small room on the 3rd floor, a pretty standard GW store, a gaming hall and a bar. The museum doesn't have much in the way of direction or theme (beyond starting with 40K and ending with Fantasy, having some displays in the middle and the occasional card with a line of history), so whilst you might see something unusual the odds are that if you didn't already know what it is you won't find out.

As I said, sounds pretty similar. 2003 was after the reconstruction to the castle courtyard theme.

Athelassan
01-03-2014, 21:21
Yep. When first opened, the shop was where you went in. You had to pay to be allowed upstairs.

The museum was roughly where the current shop is (although access was different), and contained all the Gamesday mega displays - the Ultramarines Chapter, the Siege of the Emperor's Palace, the Sulphur River battle and the WHFB ones (can't remember those, but one was Undead invading an Imperial Port).
There was the Siege of Antoch (Bretonnians vs Lizardmen) and the Vengeance of the Vampire, which is the one you mention; I think that's all the fantasy mega-displays they did. I went in the late 90s and they had all the mega-displays to date plus some classic dioramas (like the Mike McVey Emperor vs Horus); it was worth the visit and whatever the entry cost was (can't remember, but not significant) especially since iirc they let my accompanying parent in free. While there I also had a Great Spined Dragon cast up on a while-you-wait... happy days.

shelfunit.
01-03-2014, 22:00
... I went in the late 90s and they had all the mega-displays to date plus some classic dioramas (like the Mike McVey Emperor vs Horus); it was worth the visit and whatever the entry cost was...

I'm fairly certain that was there when I went - can't find the memory card with the pics on at the moment, but it was glorious. Also saw the siege of... somewhere or other... which was a huge group of undead assaulting a castle/city gate over a bridge from the late 80's. It was a bit dusty, but brilliant none the less.

Marked_by_chaos
02-03-2014, 00:33
I'm fairly certain that was there when I went - can't find the memory card with the pics on at the moment, but it was glorious. Also saw the siege of... somewhere or other... which was a huge group of undead assaulting a castle/city gate over a bridge from the late 80's. It was a bit dusty, but brilliant none the less.

That is a John Blanche piece. So characterful. Presumably from the era he headed up the 'eavy metal team.

Marked_by_chaos
02-03-2014, 00:35
Is the title of this thread not now proven to be unwittingly misleading?

MarcoSkoll
02-03-2014, 04:13
It seems so. Overall, I can't imagine closing things like the WHW events hall would be a cost saving measure - events presumably pull in a fairly tidy return, between ticket sales, Bugman's and associated store sales.

The idea they're redecorating surprises me though, I can't see why the Fantasy theme is a problem. At best, a redecoration might result in "Hey, come see the new WHW", but I can't see that making up for the loss of event sales.

Frankly, the best thing I think they can do for that event hall is better air-con, as it can get stifling during large events.

Autumn Leaves
02-03-2014, 09:08

That siege is the best war hammer diorama I've ever seen.
Phenomenal.
The bats flying out of the crack in the cliff face. The hordes and hordes of Empire and Undead miniatures. The mounds of casualties. That was a truly glorious construction.
Half a dozen of those and you would have something worth paying for but it definitely needs some kind of carful vacuuming every week to keep the the dust off it.

Is the closure just a refit?
GW own that building they don't rent it so it can't be costing a to to keep it open.
If numbers are down early in the week why don't they open it up to clubs to come and use the tables and enjoy the business at the bar till.

Karak Norn Clansman
02-03-2014, 09:52
I liked the medieval theme. I hope Bugman's bar at least stays the same theme after a likely reopening.

Half a dozen of those and you would have something worth paying for but it definitely needs some kind of carful vacuuming every week to keep the the dust off it.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to blow away the dust and then vacuum suck it from the floor? Can't find the English word the the particular device and mouth piece which would be perfect for the job.

drakken
02-03-2014, 12:29
That siege is the best war hammer diorama I've ever seen.
Phenomenal.
The bats flying out of the crack in the cliff face. The hordes and hordes of Empire and Undead miniatures. The mounds of casualties. That was a truly glorious construction.

Is the closure just a refit?
GW own that building they don't rent it so it can't be costing a to to keep it open.
If numbers are down early in the week why don't they open it up to clubs to come and use the tables and enjoy the business at the bar till.
You would think but, as usual with GW nonsensical policies, they've cut down opening times dramatically in the last year, 1of the late evenings and the staff gaming night have gone. Only open 2 evenings now and gamers were vastly reduced before that from 60-80 to around 20 most nights.

I think you are underestimating the costs too, I'd estimate at least 6 full time staff (not counting the store and bar).

Having spoken to the guy there again, some clarification
- whole hall and store will be 40k themed
- display tables and 6 standard tables stay
- rest of hall space to be partitioned off and used as multi-use conference and space for tournaments but closed to public
- charges to he introduced for gaming and museum

Herzlos
02-03-2014, 16:21
Most of the gaming space closed to the public? That kills it for me. I'm not driving 4 hours down to hope to get a change at a small table*. If they still allow booking or one-off access to the tournament space that'll be alright, but I'm getting the impression GW don't want you in there unless you're part of some organised gaming.

*This sounds facetious, but my gaming buddy and I stop off for a couple of days every year when we're in the rough area, though it adds 4 hours to our driving time. It's not an issue when the whole place is open for gaming as there's almost no chance of it being too busy to play, but if there's only 6 tables we're aswell going to our FLGS.

Grimtuff
02-03-2014, 16:37
That is a John Blanche piece. So characterful. Presumably from the era he headed up the 'eavy metal team.

It's still there in the current minis hall. Beautiful piece of old school IMO.
http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/john-blanche-undead-diorama-at.html

lbecks
02-03-2014, 20:26
You would think but, as usual with GW nonsensical policies, they've cut down opening times dramatically in the last year, 1of the late evenings and the staff gaming night have gone. Only open 2 evenings now and gamers were vastly reduced before that from 60-80 to around 20 most nights.

I think you are underestimating the costs too, I'd estimate at least 6 full time staff (not counting the store and bar).

- rest of hall space to be partitioned off and used as multi-use conference and space for tournaments but closed to public

Is the museum just the miniatures hall? If they charge for the museum they should expand it to have stuff like how sculpting and casting is done.

Grimtuff
02-03-2014, 20:32
Is the museum just the miniatures hall?

Currently, yes.

ashc
02-03-2014, 20:58
Only a closure for renovation, plus they are advertising for a new events manager for the place.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Sgt John Keel
02-03-2014, 22:25
Only a closure for renovation, plus they are advertising for a new events manager for the place.

So that is what happens when you allow Forge World. :shifty:

winterdyne
03-03-2014, 08:08
Wow. I guess they don't remember why they closed it before?

Harwammer
03-03-2014, 10:26

Isn't Nick Bayton events manager? The guy that currently does ToS! the campaign weekends and so on? What's the deal here? Is he moving on, are they expanding the events calendar or what?

I always got the impression Bayton's events were really popular.

Spiney Norman
03-03-2014, 10:39

You're joking, I think I have almost as many miniatures in my house than are in the citadel museum, not as well painted perhaps but we are talking about a single room containing models that we all already have pictures of in our white dwarf archives.

Are we talking about admission for the museum, or the site in general, it would be so like GW to start charging you just to visit their shop...

winterdyne
03-03-2014, 12:46
You're joking, I think I have almost as many miniatures in my house than are in the citadel museum, not as well painted perhaps but we are talking about a single room containing models that we all already have pictures of in our white dwarf archives.

Are we talking about admission for the museum, or the site in general, it would be so like GW to start charging you just to visit their shop...

Since GDUK I have now given up on trying to put any form of sense behind GW's behaviour to its customer base. It would no longer surprise me if GW WHW was put behind the 'pay to enter' line, along with Bugman's.

Harwammer
03-03-2014, 13:06
GW execs went out on a Saturday after 10pm and decided to rebrand bugmans as a 'knight club' so they could charge a £5 entry fee to the bar?

Jedi152
03-03-2014, 13:54
Isn't Nick Bayton events manager? The guy that currently does ToS! the campaign weekends and so on? What's the deal here? Is he moving on, are they expanding the events calendar or what?

Nick is really on the up. I remember only a few years ago he was a regular staff member in the shop.

williamsond
03-03-2014, 14:45
to be honest the burger and chips i got from bugmans were the best value product GW has produced in the last few years, I hope the don't mess up WHW I like to stop there every now and again when I drive down the country.

TheFang
03-03-2014, 17:31
to be honest the burger and chips i got from bugmans were the best value product GW has produced in the last few years, :D

So true. I'd agree with that. I use WHW as a nicer service station. Toilet, burger, and Forgeworld without postage.

WLBjork
03-03-2014, 18:11

GW may have to advertise the post externally due to various legal requirements.
Mr Bayton may have been carrying out the role without the actual title. GW have created the title and thus it has to be advertised, even though Mr Bayton is getting the role. Just one of those wierd quirks of English/EU law...

Athelassan
03-03-2014, 18:48
to be honest the burger and chips i got from bugmans were the best value product GW has produced in the last few years...
And even that is kind of bland and overpriced! :rolleyes:

MusingWarboss
03-03-2014, 20:54
Their miniatures hall is a bit dull really. I was hoping when I first went that it would be stuffed with all the old models you never see these days, like a proper museum showing the history of Games Workshop and Citadel Miniatures. But no. It was 25% Space Marines of various colours all from the current range and then the rest was also all current range. There were the occasional other cabinet with some old 2nd Edition Orks in, of which I own more myself, some old Citadel Daleks and bags and a few Dark Future toy cars. There were also some Mike McVey dioramas in there too, which was the highlight of the place.

I spoke to the girl who was dusting some of the miniatures in the cabinets asking where all the older stuff was and she said much of it was chucked out in the skip years ago or took a walk home with some GW employees after they became OOP. There's not a lot left in the buildings and it occasionally gets rotated around but its mostly new stuff. A lot of the older stuff is actually on loan to them from private collections.

So yeah, you could loan your stuff to GW if you want and its old enough to be interesting.

I hear Brian Ansell still has an absolute ton of models in his own private collection which is occasionally on display at Wargames Foundry*, the other side of Nottingham to GW. So if you're after the Oldhammer experience you'd be better off heading there.

*I've seen photos but I've not been there to confirm. http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/bryans-cabinets-ofoldhammer.html

mostlyharmless
03-03-2014, 22:03

Well, that most assuredly ends my plans to visit Warhammer World in the forseeable future. I'm sorry, but the flight from Seattle to London and subsequent rail to Nottingham would be a little much for six tables and a pub. My local GW has more tables than that.

ashc
03-03-2014, 22:06
It has never really been worth travelling across the world for.

mostlyharmless
03-03-2014, 22:15
Unfortunately, they don't do events out here anymore. The nearest big name event is Adepticon in Chicago. Though, I suppose there's still TSHFT, but that tournament series is still building up.

Athelassan
04-03-2014, 00:09
I spoke to the girl who was dusting some of the miniatures in the cabinets asking where all the older stuff was and she said much of it was chucked out in the skip years ago
If this is true, it's astonishing how little idea GW have of their own market. There must be private collectors out there who'd pay a healthy sum for former EM models, especially ones no longer available. It's exactly the sort of thing that would help them get back in the wallets of the Oldhammer crowd and the like who have otherwise deserted the brand. If GW don't do sales because they're afraid they'll devalue the product, what message does it send when you're binning old figures rather than trying to extract value from them?

Or maybe they're just hoping that existing collectors will follow their example and replace their old figures with the new range.

Shadey
04-03-2014, 02:32
Maybe some of the terrain and the boards was thrown out, but I suspect very strongly someone would have snapped up all the actual figures and vehicles.

Herzlos
04-03-2014, 07:00
Maybe some of the terrain and the boards was thrown out, but I suspect very strongly someone would have snapped up all the actual figures and vehicles.

The whole lot were thrown into skips, but there are a lot of stories of staff recovering them so I imagine most of the easy to carry stuff was kept alive.

It still baffles me that a company would throw that stuff out instead of using it to generate either money or good will. Some of the diorammas were huge (thousands of models), so they could easily have auctioned them off, given half to charity and still made a fortune. If the buyer collected it'd cost GW essentially nothing but some admin overhead.

Herzlos
04-03-2014, 07:03
Well, that most assuredly ends my plans to visit Warhammer World in the forseeable future. I'm sorry, but the flight from Seattle to London and subsequent rail to Nottingham would be a little much for six tables and a pub. My local GW has more tables than that.

Even in its current state it's not really worth travelling up from London for unless you're going to an event. It's essentially just 60 (approx) tables and a pub, and all bar about 8 of those are 6x4' Realm Of Battle Boards in a row with some Citadel scenery. The rest are pretty special themed tables though but since they are a lot bigger and more interesting I imagine they'll be the first to go.

shelfunit.
04-03-2014, 07:20
It still baffles me that a company would throw that stuff out instead of using it to generate either money or good will.

The various annual report chairman's waffles tell us that.....

Some of the diorammas were huge (thousands of models), so they could easily have auctioned them off,

...We don't do discounts...

given half to charity and still made a fortune.

...we don't do charity...

Autumn Leaves
04-03-2014, 07:22
Haahhhahh nice post.

Regarding those folks who genuinely want to see the older GW miniatures, you are far better served by getting in touch with Foundry and finding out when Brian Ansell might have some of his collection on display.
That IS a Wowser.

lbecks
04-03-2014, 07:40
Wow, they through out their old dioramas and em models? This is clearly a company that doesn't respect its history.

Harwammer
04-03-2014, 09:45
to be honest the burger and chips i got from bugmans were the best value product GW has produced in the last few years, I hope the don't mess up WHW I like to stop there every now and again when I drive down the country.

Just down the waterway is mantic donalds which sells burgers of equal, if not better quality, and for half the price! Plus MDs gives their toys away with their meals!

Edit: in seriousness the food is decent. I like the Large Coffee + Cake deal. Warhammer cake is delicious! I often find myself buying my opponent one so I don't feel rude munching/slurping away at the table midgame :D.

Double edit: Kinda disappointed to see the old models were designated to the skip. I bet that decision wasn't popular internally. I wonder who made the call and why.

IJW
04-03-2014, 11:43
I hear Brian Ansell still has an absolute ton of models in his own private collection which is occasionally on display at Wargames Foundry*, the other side of Nottingham to GW. So if you're after the Oldhammer experience you'd be better off heading there.

That would be because he took the Design Studio's entire collection of painted models with him when he sold the company. GW's Red Period wasn't just a case of bright colours for kids, it was because the studio had to do all the in-house armies from scratch in a short period...

Athelassan
04-03-2014, 16:18
Haahhhahh nice post.

Regarding those folks who genuinely want to see the older GW miniatures, you are far better served by getting in touch with Foundry and finding out when Brian Ansell might have some of his collection on display.
That IS a Wowser.
Bryan Ansell hires out parts of his house for event hosting (specifically weddings, but possibly other events as well?) His collection forms part of the decor.

shelfunit.
04-03-2014, 16:56
Bryan Ansell hires out parts of his house for event hosting (specifically weddings, but possibly other events as well?) His collection forms part of the decor.

Saw that in one of the Oldhammer interviews - looks like an amazing old mansion. Could be some great gaming dinners held there.

Bigglesworth
04-03-2014, 19:18
Ok so warhammer world is probably not going to close and is going to be refurbished?

If so the thread should be renamed "Warhammer world Trivia"

EmperorNorton
04-03-2014, 21:03
New information has come to light.
I suspect that warhammer world having to close down is at least partially attributable to Arcanite contamination (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warploqueminiatures/arcworlde-the-fantasy-skirmish-wargame/posts/766357).

Inquisitor Engel
04-03-2014, 23:29
With regards to this whole "models being thrown into the skip" nonsense - I've been back in the studio itself, and much of what's no longer on display in the Warhammer World gallery is now on display back there. All of the historical stuff, the old Citadel things and unique models made for the dioramas (Sanguinius, the Titans etc.) While some of the actual old megadisplay boards may have gone, most, if not all, of the models worth saving* remain stored somewhere else in Warhammer World.

*Some of those mega displays had models painted by staff members up and down the UK and the world. X store did Y models and then mailed them in etc, so the quality DID vary a bit.

MusingWarboss
05-03-2014, 00:04
With regards to this whole "models being thrown into the skip" nonsense - I've been back in the studio itself, and much of what's no longer on display in the Warhammer World gallery is now on display back there. All of the historical stuff, the old Citadel things and unique models made for the dioramas (Sanguinius, the Titans etc.) While some of the actual old megadisplay boards may have gone, most, if not all, of the models worth saving* remain stored somewhere else in Warhammer World.

*Some of those mega displays had models painted by staff members up and down the UK and the world. X store did Y models and then mailed them in etc, so the quality DID vary a bit.

I'll just quote myself here as actually I wasn't contradicting what you've said - nor is this information 'nonsense', I got it directly from an employee who knew what she was talking about.

I spoke to the girl who was dusting some of the miniatures in the cabinets asking where all the older stuff was and she said much of it was chucked out in the skip years ago or took a walk home with some GW employees after they became OOP. There's not a lot left in the buildings and it occasionally gets rotated around but its mostly new stuff. A lot of the older stuff is actually on loan to them from private collections.

Stuff apparently went into skips, stuff was rescued from skips and on their way for disposal and was/has been taken home by staff. There are plenty of old models at WHW but much isn't in the museum, it's elsewhere and gets rotated around and apparently models on display in the museum and elsewhere may be owned by GW or may be on loan to them from individuals private collections. This may be old EM models or it may be models painted by the current owner. You too could lend your models to them if they were interesting enough to be display worthy in some manner. So just because something's old and at GWHQ Willow Road, Lenton, Notts doesn't mean it's owned by GW whether it's on display in the museum, gaming hall or in the administration buildings.

superdupermatt
05-03-2014, 00:34
The ironbreaker event has been cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances" (GWs words). I've asked for more info on the Facebook page but yet to hear back. Could this be when the hall is getting redone?

EDIT: Nick responded, saying the event was cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bolo-driller
06-03-2014, 07:35
The ironbreaker event has been cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances" (GWs words). I've asked for more info on the Facebook page but yet to hear back. Could this be when the hall is getting redone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not surprised, the idea was awful.

Sit in a room in Nottingham and assemble/paint 500 points of models in a day. But you have to bring your own paints,sprays,brushes,glues,tools with you and we will send our army painters to the room to watch you and give you tips.

Day two, you play against each other with your 500 points (or whatever you got finished )......in the events hall that's free to use.

£50 please!

shelfunit.
06-03-2014, 08:28

Ouch! How is that even possible in GW heartland territory? :shifty:

mostlyharmless
11-03-2014, 16:43
Ouch! How is that even possible in GW heartland territory? :shifty:

To be fair, looking through the rules for the event, it seems a bit ill-conceived. I'm not surprised it flopped.

theredknight
17-03-2014, 16:57
Haahhhahh nice post.

That IS a Wowser.

i think someone catalogued that colection and posted pics on a forum i can't remmeber the name. fantastic collection. certainly miles better than the warhammer world display

Havarel
24-03-2014, 22:45
Details:

http://publicaccess.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MX16X8LYCB000

Jedi152
25-03-2014, 00:13
It looks really nice to be honest. A bit cheeky that you can't go to anything without going through the shop first, but it looks lovely.

MusingWarboss
25-03-2014, 02:17
It looks really nice to be honest. A bit cheeky that you can't go to anything without going through the shop first, but it looks lovely.

It has been cheekily known as Warhammer World of Merchandise for a while... Nothing new there. In fact I'm surprised they haven't done the museum gift shop approach of having the store as the exit of the building!

shelfunit.
25-03-2014, 08:34
Going via the available "visuals" there seems to be little if any change from the Medieval look of the interior. Looks pretty good overall.

MiyamatoMusashi
25-03-2014, 13:02
A lot more "exhibition areas", for sure. Hopefully make it more of an experience to visit. The tacked-on atrium on the front looks silly (is it really just so they can keep the Rhino out of the rain?) but the interior has the potential to be really interesting.

I wouldn't necessarily get too carried away by the medieval look... while the visuals do still show that (and the plans show the round castle towers in the same places) I don't suppose that's something that needs to be specified on the plans (though obviously IANAArchitect). You wouldn't bother asking for planning permission to change the colour of your wallpaper, after all, and the décor is really just jumped-up wallpaper...? In any case... back then, I heard it'd be changing to a 40K theme. Maybe not, but I'd still wait and see before deciding the visuals counter it.

superdupermatt
25-03-2014, 17:08
In case people can't view the link posted earlier:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/de6avyhy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/e2usy6a5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/araqapu6.jpg

This is the current first floor plan:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/ze8eduba.jpg
And the proposed plan:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/edehy4ej.jpg

So the main exhibition Hall is getting reduced by a third, but separate smaller exhibition rooms are being added.

Current mezzanine floor (the gallery):
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/yrara9e5.jpg
Proposed mezzanine floor:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/dyme9upy.jpg

A further two exhibition rooms and the third at the back seems to be part of the room below, with a gap looking down? Is that right?

Herzlos
26-03-2014, 15:52
I'm curious as to what the drive for this is, with a company that's desperately trying to cut costs. Are they hoping for a boost in events*, sales** or museum income***? Or is this to make it look like there's no problem?

* I can't see this, if they are reducing the gaming space size, so they'll be able to get less gamers at events.
** I can see this happening, if they expand the BL, FW and direct only ranges.
*** Which would mean charging an entry fee?

The Decayed
26-03-2014, 16:02
I'm guessing the drive would be to create new interest for people to visit, and hope to boost sales that way.
If not, they're probably just going for a ruined post-apocalyptic look, to thematically fit their state of being by a few years.

Orkitecht
26-03-2014, 16:08
For those who don't remember, the old museum (early 2000's?) Had everything in - the siege of Terra display, the entire ultramarines chapter, fullscale ork scene, old minis in cabinets, etc - The miniatures hall is a bit of a disappointment by comparison. No idea when it changed.

It makes sense in a way for them to bring back the old museum format with the mega displays etc - as it gets a bit extra value out of the ones they create for the Heresy Books etc, and they're probably going to drop games-day, now that its become a total let down/"big hall with a sales stand and nothing else in it", so they may as well have a year round 'pay money to look at pretty dioramas' thing - instead of a once a year one that nobody bothers with.

superdupermatt
26-03-2014, 16:43
The renovation includes a whole bunch of exhibition rooms, instead of the current two (if you include the gaming hall as one). Theoretically they would be able to run more events.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

nedsta
26-03-2014, 19:55
Games day at HQ perhaps, be cheaper for them instead of hiring the NEC/NIA/wherever they hold it now.

MiyamatoMusashi
26-03-2014, 21:00
"Games Day"? From what I hear, no such thing any more. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Golden Daemon held at WW, though.

nedsta
26-03-2014, 21:52
Did I say games, I meant 'pay lots of money to then queue up and buy our goods which you could do for free in your local store etc'.

my_name_is_tudor
27-03-2014, 00:10
For those who don't remember, the old museum (early 2000's?) Had everything in - the siege of Terra display, the entire ultramarines chapter, fullscale ork scene, old minis in cabinets, etc - The miniatures hall is a bit of a disappointment by comparison. No idea when it changed.

It makes sense in a way for them to bring back the old museum format with the mega displays etc - as it gets a bit extra value out of the ones they create for the Heresy Books etc, and they're probably going to drop games-day, now that its become a total let down/"big hall with a sales stand and nothing else in it", so they may as well have a year round 'pay money to look at pretty dioramas' thing - instead of a once a year one that nobody bothers with.

I hope they do bring back the museum side of things. The gallery is nice, but the proper museum was a lot more interesting.

Herzlos
27-03-2014, 10:19
The renovation includes a whole bunch of exhibition rooms, instead of the current two (if you include the gaming hall as one). Theoretically they would be able to run more events.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

I guess that if they've reduced the number of "free"/non-event tables, they'll be running more events to use the rest. I really hope they'll still allow access if there's space though, as it'd suck to get turned away when there are still unused tables but are just in the wrong area.

MiyamatoMusashi
27-03-2014, 11:20
Did I say games, I meant 'pay lots of money to then queue up and buy our goods which you could do for free in your local store etc'.

Heh, fair, but not quite what I was referring to; more that my understanding is that there will not be events even called Games Day any more. AFAIK.

Haven't they normally announced the start of the international Games Day season (US, France, etc) by this time of year? Started selling tickets for Games Day Italy or whatever? I've not yet seen any mention of that yet this year. ISTR Games Day UK doesn't get officially confirmed until June or July IIRC, but I wouldn't hold my breath even about that.

Evil_D185
27-03-2014, 12:13
Heh, fair, but not quite what I was referring to; more that my understanding is that there will not be events even called Games Day any more. AFAIK.

Haven't they normally announced the start of the international Games Day season (US, France, etc) by this time of year? Started selling tickets for Games Day Italy or whatever? I've not yet seen any mention of that yet this year. ISTR Games Day UK doesn't get officially confirmed until June or July IIRC, but I wouldn't hold my breath even about that.

Since last year ther is only one Us, one German, one Ital and one GB "Games Day". France and etc do not exist anymore!! If I am not mistaken they are all / were held later on in the year

MarcoSkoll
27-03-2014, 12:48
I'm guessing the drive would be to create new interest for people to visit, and hope to boost sales that way.
More people visiting would seem optimistic, if there's any truth to the suggestion that most/all of the gaming tables will be restricted access - people are way less likely to turn up if gaming is unavailable.

Herzlos
27-03-2014, 13:04
Unless there's something else to bring people in. I personally wouldn't go without gaming or an event, but I'm sure plenty would visit just for the museum.

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2014, 17:59
That'll cut attendance down considerably then, unless the museum increases in size exponentially.

It used to be 1GBP to take a tour of the old mega-displays and video game props.

shelfunit.
27-03-2014, 19:18
It used to be 1GBP to take a tour of the old mega-displays and video game props.

It used to cost £10 for 20 plastic miniatures...:shifty:

RevEv
28-03-2014, 17:36
The last couple of times I have visited WW there has been an event on, and I have found them inspirational. The downside is that my wife saw the Giant Squiggoth and decided she needs one for her Ork army... guess who has to buy it!

It's also good to see from the visuals that there will now be a FW store inhouse as, quite frankly, I buy more FW at WW than online. As to the atrium housing the 432, sorry Rhino, I think that's an artistic reflection in the visual.

Inquisitor Engel
28-03-2014, 23:25
Since it's been firmly establishing that WHW is not closing permanently, could a mod perchance change the title of this thread?

@allmyownbattles
29-03-2014, 20:18
Have we established whether or Games Day UK is on this year though? I know it was crap last year but it was still better than sitting in the house.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jedi152
29-03-2014, 23:16
Since it's been firmly establishing that WHW is not closing permanently, could a mod perchance change the title of this thread?

Done.

Characters.