PDA

View Full Version : What armies do you see as traditional Offensive and Defensive?

JacobDrake
28-02-2014, 23:27
So its all in the title according to the fluff what armies do you see as being offensive and defensive and why? Rank them from most to least and just say why.

Thanks
JD

SpanielBear
28-02-2014, 23:33
Most offensive? Orcs and Goblins for sure!

SteveW
28-02-2014, 23:36
The Fluff?

Beastmen- Offensive(in more ways than one)
Bretonnia- Offensive(always crusading and such)
Dwarfs- Defensive
Daemons- Offensive
Dark Elves- Offensive
Empire- Defensive
High Elves- Defensive
Lizardmen- Defensive
Ogre kingdoms- Offensive
Orcs n Goblins- Offensive
Skaven- Offensive
Tomb Kings- Defensive
Vampire Counts- Offensive
Warriors of Cheese- Offensive
Wood Elves- Defensive

It pretty much goes with their alignment with a few outliers here and there.

Edit: forgot to rank them-

Wood Elves(most defensive)
Dwarfs
Tomb Kings
High Elves
Lizardmen
Bretonnia
Skaven
Ogre Kingdoms
Vampire Counts
Dark Elves
Warriors of chaos
Beastmen
Orcs n goblins
Daemons(most offensive)

Voss
28-02-2014, 23:39
In general, I think it largely depends on how well they can build a gun line. Others, like various elves, depend entirely on how they build the list. Other armies have little choice and have to run up and punch you in the face.

Ultimate Life Form
01-03-2014, 01:36
Lizardmen are pretty much the epitome of defensive. They used to be the dominating force in the Warhammer world in the distant past, but ever since the polar gates crashed, they've been reduced to struggling to keep their crumbling empire halfway together. Admittedly, they don't do a very good job.

luntan
01-03-2014, 08:02
Normaly the "evil" armies (Forces of Destruction) are offensive and the "good" armies (Forces of Order) is Defensive with some exceptions.

JacobDrake
01-03-2014, 09:46
That is what I was thinking, the 'good' guys seem to be defending there kingdoms while struggling to survive save a couou ple and the more 'evil' forces are the aggressors and seem to be doing just fine in terms of sustainability.

Would you like to see any force change to be more aggressive or defensive?

Ultimate Life Form
01-03-2014, 10:06
Wood Elves need to do something else but ravage the Bretonnian plains once per year.

Kakapo42
01-03-2014, 11:07
Wood Elves need to do something else but ravage the Bretonnian plains once per year.

They hunt down Beastmen too you know.

Ultimate Life Form
01-03-2014, 15:29
They hunt down Beastmen too you know.
That's gardening. :p

Feefait
02-03-2014, 03:24
A few years back i was on break from the hobby, and came back after maybe 5-6 years off. i dusted off my Skaven, which had been my most successful army. After a few games of barely winning or losing bad I sat down to figure out why. i realized I was trying desperately to preserve units, save points and play it safe. Skaven are not, in my opinion, a defensive army. For me the excel as a straight down your throat swarm of fast rats and rapid attacks from all angles and all phases. I stopped worrying about keeping a unit of 50 clanrats alive and just looked at everything as sacrificial and before you know it I was Rat King again and everyone hated facing my skaven.

Skaven = Pure offense.

SuperHappyTime
02-03-2014, 16:54
Dwarves are definitely the most defensive. No other army arranges in a "come and get me" like the dwarves do

Durloth
02-03-2014, 17:49
I think it is hard to break free of the God= defensive/evil= offensive. It is ingrained in our culture and have been a trope at least since William Blake's days "Good is the passive that obeys Reason. Evil is the active springing from Energy."

Didn't seem pompous at all... Well, the point stands.

Scammel
02-03-2014, 17:55
Don't see how any race other than Beasts would come at the top of the 'Offensive' pile. A major weakness to shooting and by far the most non-existent shooting phase in the game = running at the enemy every game.

Lord Dan
02-03-2014, 23:10
Don't see how any race other than Beasts would come at the top of the 'Offensive' pile. A major weakness to shooting and by far the most non-existent shooting phase in the game = running at the enemy every game.

Warriors of Chaos? Daemons sans-Skullcannon?

As for me, not looking at the fluff but purely at playstyle:

Offensive
Bretonnians
Beastmen
Orcs and Goblins
Ogre Kingdoms
Warriors of Chaos
Daemons of Chaos
Dark Elves
Vampire Counts

Neither
High Elves
Empire
Lizardmen
Skaven

Defensive
Wood Elves
Dwarfs
Tomb Kings

Scammel
03-03-2014, 08:30
Warriors of Chaos? Daemons sans-Skullcannon?

Warriors have the Hellcannon and the Skullcannon is fiendishly popular - by contrast Beasts have the Cygor, with a reputation for being the worst monster in the game. Warriors and Daemons also possess saves, so enemy shooting phases don't quite hold them by the gonads to such an extent. They're most certainly highly Offensive, but not quite in the same one-dimensional manner as Beasts.

Lord Dan
03-03-2014, 21:42
Great points. Thanks for the response.