PDA

View Full Version : Knights during the Horus Heresy

agurus1
01-03-2014, 18:52
Hey there! So I got a knight to use alongside my Iron Warriors Legion but I have hit a conundrum as to how to paint it or any relevant Traitor Knight iconography, House names, or colors during that time. I know that just like all of the armed forces at that time, the Knights split in two factions during the Heresy. Does anyone have any fluff on non-God aligned Houses? I was thinking of stylizing my Knight after Legio Mortis but thats all I got at the moment. :chrome:

Still Standing
01-03-2014, 18:59
To be fair, we need more information about the time period. When in the Heresy are your Iron warriors set? That will massively dictate whether it's possessed / mutated etc. Ass for colour scheme, it's purely aesthetic, but I'd probably go black with silver trims and yellow stripes. Shows that they are not Iron Warrior units, but ties them in with army.

On a similar note I've picked 3 up for my pre-heresy Thousand Sons. Does anybody more knowledgable know what the possibility of a household based on Prospero is?

agurus1
01-03-2014, 19:43
To be fair, we need more information about the time period. When in the Heresy are your Iron warriors set? That will massively dictate whether it's possessed / mutated etc. Ass for colour scheme, it's purely aesthetic, but I'd probably go black with silver trims and yellow stripes. Shows that they are not Iron Warrior units, but ties them in with army.

On a similar note I've picked 3 up for my pre-heresy Thousand Sons. Does anybody more knowledgable know what the possibility of a household based on Prospero is?

I'm going for post-Istvaan IW so no mutations or anything

Still Standing
01-03-2014, 20:21
Go for a Freeblade who is affiliated with your marines through bonds of honour. Perhaps your marines liberated his homeworld, or he's an idealist who wants to help them liberate mankind? If he's a Freeblade you can essentially make up your markings. When your Knight forsake his old ties perhaps he wiped clean his old markings and adopted the Iron Warrior skull emblem?

OuroborosTriumphant
01-03-2014, 21:04
I would wait for the third Horus Heresy book. See if it has more information of Knight Houses during the Heresy. I know I'm waiting on that to decide on a colour-scheme for my Knight (who is going to accompany my Mechanicum).

Atia
01-03-2014, 21:32
I know I'm waiting on that to decide on a colour-scheme for my Knight (who is going to accompany my Mechanicum).
for loyal mechanicum, i would use house taranis ;P

@TE:
I would wait for the third Horus Heresy book. i also think that's the best idea, as i'm not a fan of freeblades :/

When the Warmaster Horus led his forces towards the cradle of humanity, he left a trail of destruction in his wake, countless worlds falling before his might or switching allegiance and supporting his cause. It was on the planet of Molech that one of the most determined stands was to be made. Three Titan Legions and over a hundred Imperial Army (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Army) regiments and Knight Households stood ready to face the Warmaster's onslaught.
Horus' initial assault devastated many cities and strongholds. Amongst the victims were the world's rulers -- the nobles of House Devine (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/House_Devine). Dispossessed and unable to fight back, the Devine family slowly succumbed to the temptations of Chaos (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos). Over the following months, the insidious whispers ofSlaanesh (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Slaanesh) spread through their fatigued ranks.
This occurrence was the first betrayal conducted by a Knight House, and since that time, many Knight Houses have been corrupted throughout the millennia. Many of the machines' pilots have long since died, but their souls continue to live on as daemons (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Daemons), occupying the shells of their war walkers. The Knights themselves have also mutated, sprouting claws, tails and other horrendous natural weapons as blessings of the Dark Gods (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Gods). When the war machines of a Knight House dedicated to the Ruinous Powers marches onto the battlefield, it spreads havoc, despair and death.
for mroe informations: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Knight

OuroborosTriumphant
01-03-2014, 21:47
for loyal mechanicum, i would use house taranis

Thing is, Mechanicum describes Taranis's colours as blue. Images in White Dwarf Weekly 5 show them in red. I'd like to wait-and-see if it's a retcon (and Taranis is and always was now red) or if Taranis changed colour sometime in the last ten thousand years.

Also, what I'd actually like is the Heresy-era colours of a Mechanicus/Mechanicum aligned house other than Taranis, because what Taranis was up to in the Heresy is pretty well defined by the events of Mechanicum. I'm curious if House Raven pre-dates the Heresy and if they have a pre-Heresy colour scheme. But yeah, it's wait-and-see pudding. The Knight Codex might have relevant info, the Companion Guide might have relevant info, Horus Heresy 3: Extinction might have relevant info. For now, I'm just going to paint the skeleton and wait and see how I want to do the armour plates.

Grand Master Azrael
02-03-2014, 01:10
Maybe paint the Knight in Iron Warriors colours to represent it's ultimate allegiance lying with Perturabo and say that it's been repainted and is now an Auxiliary to your Iron Warriors.

agurus1
02-03-2014, 03:13
Interesting stuff so far. I was going to likely paint the underlying superstructure to match my Iron Warriors armour, the armoured plates trim on the knight will match that of my Leggionaires (brass), and I'll use hazard striping where appropriate. However I would like to differentiate it a bit from my Legion by giving the actual armour plates a different color, maybe something like a deep crimson or something.

Chem-Dog
02-03-2014, 06:15
Thing is, Mechanicum describes Taranis's colours as blue. Images in White Dwarf Weekly 5 show them in red. I'd like to wait-and-see if it's a retcon (and Taranis is and always was now red) or if Taranis changed colour sometime in the last ten thousand years.

Though i know you know this OT, but it might be worth pointing out that the Knights in Mechanicum are never referred to as a Household, even by their own members. All references (including their entries in the Dramatis Personae) has them as "The Knights of Taranis".

As they are a fixture on Mars, it's possible that the KoT do not have the Household system. If they had been (as an organisation) present on Mars since before the Age of Strife or have been founded on Mars, the function of the feudal hierarchy as seen on Knight worlds would be irrelevant, they would not be the pre-eminent warriors of their culture and have not risen to the top of their society because of that.

The colour change (If House Taranis is a thing and and the Knights of Taranis are their forebears) isn't a huge problem. If we assume the surviving members of the KoT (as of the end of Mechanicum) manage to last out until the Imeprium reclaims Mars. The Mechanicum adopts the title Adeptus Mechanicus, maybe the Knights decide to go that one step further in rededicating themselves to the Imperium. They could decide to adopt the colour to honour to their fallen brethren (or as a mark of shame for having survived. or any number of other reasons that occur after the reformation (much like the Dark Angels' Death Wing). It's even feasible that the survivors would wish to distance themselves from Mars, especially knowing what we know they know.....

Anyway. I'd say that any colour scheme would be fine for the Knights accompanying a Crusade era Legion (or Heresy Era Loyalists?) without causing too much of a wrinkle in the continuity. If they aren't present alongside the IW's at the end of M41, they either refused to abandon their oaths to the Emperor and died a glorious death in His name or have dwindled and been forgotten in the ten thousand years hence (or have gone all gribbly in that time, or entirely adopted the IW's colours, or have changed names and/or colours to something else entirely and so on.

AndrewGPaul
03-03-2014, 08:37
Also, what I'd actually like is the Heresy-era colours of a Mechanicus/Mechanicum aligned house other than Taranis, because what Taranis was up to in the Heresy is pretty well defined by the events of Mechanicum. I'm curious if House Raven pre-dates the Heresy and if they have a pre-Heresy colour scheme. But yeah, it's wait-and-see pudding. The Knight Codex might have relevant info, the Companion Guide might have relevant info, Horus Heresy 3: Extinction might have relevant info. For now, I'm just going to paint the skeleton and wait and see how I want to do the armour plates.

White Dwarf 126 shows the colours of five Knight Houses, although it doesn't say if they're aligned with the Imperium or with the Mecanicu[m/s] Houses Hawkwood, Beaumaris, Mortimer, Arundel and ... another one I can't remember off the top of my head. It also mentions House Trainor. Assuming the Freeblade Klorian Saiche as shown in White Dwarf Weekly #5 hasn't changed his colours, use those. They're aligned with the Warp Runners (Legio Astorum), IIRC - at least, they're mentioned as fighting alongside them during the Heresy.

Lexicanum has stub articles on Houses Hawkwood, Mortimer and Beaumaris, with examples of the colour schemes:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/House_Hawkwood

A suit piloted by a Knight (as shown by the halved colours)
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/House_Mortimer

A suit piloted by a Squire (or Knight Apparent) (as shown by the primarily single-coloured heraldry)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/House_Beaumaris

A suit piloted by a Lord (as shown by the quartered colours)

As far as the Knights of Taranis / House Taranis go, I would say that the colours of House Taranis are red and white, but that the Knights of Taranis were a unit seconded to Mars and under the direct control of the Mechanicum military. As such, they were piloting machines painted in the colours of the unit they were serving under. An unusual arrangement, but there's always an exception in 40k. :)

Hragnar Goreskull
04-03-2014, 17:47
Are there any or have there been in the past, any images of Knight pilots standing outside of their machines and/or images of them in the cockpits? I assume from the snippets of info that they are wired in similar to pics of Titan pilots but are there and other images specifically?

AndrewGPaul
05-03-2014, 11:14
Both Titan crews and Knight pilots can leave their machines (in general; there may be specific counterexamples). I don't remember seeing any artwork of a Knight outside his "mount", though.

The actual operation of the machine was only really discussed in detail in the original artcle for 1st edition Epic; WD 126 in 1990. That stated that the base "personality" of the Knight suit (which handles basic operations such as walking and balancing, leaving the pilot free to concentrate on higher-level control) is actually a cybernetic recording of the pilot himself. This contrasts with Imperial Titans, which use an animal personality (a grizzly bear for the Warlord, a wolf or mastiff for the Warhound). Making such a recording is somewhat hazardous, and is the pilot's rite of passage to becoming a proper Knight.

flota
08-03-2014, 16:14
Well from mechanicum we got tbe notion the both priceps (?) and maybe knight pilots walk among men too. But as a pilot fused directly into the machine was an upgrade...
Maybe now in 40k knight pilots are always in a tank too

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Lord Damocles
08-03-2014, 18:53
It would be difficult to have the whole 'courtly life' thing going on if you're permanently wired into a nine metre tall walking tank...

MajorWesJanson
08-03-2014, 20:23
It would be difficult to have the whole 'courtly life' thing going on if you're permanently wired into a nine metre tall walking tank...

Nope. They work like the cockpits in Space Above and Beyond- pilot sits in the throne, links up, then the throne itself is dropped down a chute into the Knight hangar and slots into the knight itself.

AndrewGPaul
08-03-2014, 20:38
More Thunderbirds than S:AAB, I thought.

House Tracey, anyone?

agurus1
10-03-2014, 01:22
In going with something like this:

The red is going to become more scarlet and subdued (washes and several layers away). I'll be sticking hazard stripes on the front where it's yellow and other significant places (chainsword).