PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Point VC Horde

UltimateNagash
02-03-2014, 10:38
Because I hate money (apparently) and figure now is a good time to renovate my old VC army. Doom and Darkness and Aura of Dark Majesty reduce enemy Leadership, the Corpse Carts and Bat Swarms mean my guys attack first. Pretty standard boring tactics really.

The main thing, of course - is it any good?

Count Mannfred 554
Barded Nightmare

Vampire 400
Coven Throne, Staff of Damnation, Aura of Dark Majesty

Necromancer 125
Level 2 Wizard, Book of Arkhan

Necromancer 105
Level 2 Wizard, Ironcurse Icon

20 Skeletons 120
Musician, standard bearer

20 Skeletons 120

20 Skeletons 120

20 Skeletons 120

20 Skeletons 120

20 Skeletons 120

20 Zombies 70

Corpse Cart 106
Spear, Balefire

Corpse Cart 120
Unholy Lodestone

20 Grave Guard 250
Musician, standard bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame

20 Grave Guard 240

2 Bat Swarms 70

Mortis Engine 240
Blasphemous Tome

3000 points
183 models, 2 swarms and 4 chariots

Moss
02-03-2014, 13:45
I suppose it all depends on how competitive you want to be.

-You don't have many units that can kill things.
-Your unit sizes are a bit small. My friends and I resist the typical internet "forty is the minimum size unit for anything" approach, but skeletons really do need to be a bit bigger. Make them thirty-strong. They'll need to be much bigger if you want to be competitive.

Those are the two things I noticed right away. Like I said, it's hard to offer suggestions without knowing your intentions.

edit: I also just noticed that Mannfred is on a horse; if you want to win ANY games, you need to get him a unit to hide in.

Borgomos
02-03-2014, 14:03
-3 units of 40 skeletons would serve you much better
-8 Magic levels + Book of Arkhan seems to be too much for your power dice budget, even with the Mortis.(Considering the magic-fu of Manfred) . I`d suggest dropping one or both of the Necromancers to lvl 1.
-You should combine the Grave guard units. 20 of them would probably get vaporized before they get to do anything.
- As Moss mentioned, the only things that actually do respectable damage in the list seems to be the Coven and the Graveguard. I would ditch the double corpse carts for Crypt Horrors.

AM1640
04-03-2014, 21:58
Agreed since I don't see where you have taken "Master fo the Dead" then combime those skeletons into fewer bigger units.
Combine the GG and put the Banner of the Barrows on them, they also need great weapons.
Mannfred on a horse will get shot to pieces by turn 2.

UltimateNagash
08-03-2014, 13:56
Thanks for the feedback.

It has been a while since I checked the rules, but unless I am mistaken, taking a 1 Wound mount still lets you join an infantry unit, you cannot be picked out except by snipers, if barding is taken it gives you a +2 armour save etc? That was the reasoning behind his horse.

I combined the units, buffed the Zombies as well to give me more Core, took Master of the Dead, grabbed some Crypt Horrors etc.

Count Mannfred 554
Barded Nightmare

Vampire 400
Coven Throne, Staff of Damnation, Aura of Dark Majesty

Necromancer 95
Level 1 Wizard, Book of Arkhan

Necromancer 90
Level 1 Wizard, Master of the Dead, Ironcurse Icon

40 Skeletons 230
Musician, standard bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame

40 Skeletons 220

40 Skeletons 220

40 Zombies 140

40 Grave Guard 550
Great weapons, Musician, standard bearer, Banner of of the Barrows

2 Bat Swarms 70

5 Crypt Horrors 190

Mortis Engine 240
Blasphemous Tome

2999 points
203 models, 2 swarms, 5 monsters and 2 chariots

Moss
09-03-2014, 06:51
He can join an infantry unit, but doesn't get Look Out Sir. War machines and such can still kill him easily.

Looks better. My next suggestion would be to drop the extra levels on the necros (and a model here and there) and pick up some spirit hosts. You don't need that many magic levels; spirit hosts are one of the best models in the game (in my opinion).

UltimateNagash
09-03-2014, 17:03
Ah, OK. That would be the change I was unaware of. Doh.

No points - all wizards except Mannfred are Level 1 now.