PDA

View Full Version : Skaven speculation

meowser
03-03-2014, 01:35
Asides, from the red-headed stepchildren of the old world (Beastmen, Asrai, Brets), Skaven are the only army due for an 8th edition army book.

Let's leave the discussion about whether they will be in 8th/9th aside.

They seem pretty complete in terms of plastic troop choices and options in the army. What plastic kits could they include in a new skaven release?

Here's my 2 cents:

Moulder options:
- Plastic Rat Swarms (a la nurglings)
- Flying Rats carrying bombs (8th ed BRB artwork has this -- fighting dwarves i think)

Skryre Options:
- Globadiers dual kit (maybe some sort of skyre duelist unit? brace of warplock pistols and warpstone armor, skirmishers)
- Plastic Jezzail / Weapons team dual plastic kit (make 5 jezzails, can make a subset as weapons teams)
- Plastic WLE kit, or maybe WLE as an option in one of the above
- Engineers can ride doomwheels, maybe? why not

Possible MCav options
- Rat Ogres / Bonebreaker Cavalry (Stormvermin or Master Moulders on [mini]Bonebreakers-- cant see them giving us T5 W4 mcav xD)
- Censer Bearers on Pox Rats! (Pestilens shock medium cav.... would be awesome), maybe make pox rats light mcav? 2W T5?

Can't reallky see what other big gribblies they could fit in. Plastic heroes are needed, of course, a few special char updates will likely happen too

Ultimate Life Form
03-03-2014, 01:49
Yes, Skaven are fairly complete. However Clan Eshin still has a lot of troops in demand of a new kit, which they didn't update last time around.

I think Skaven Cavalry, while often speculated about, is not going to happen. The reason for this is simply because Skaven are not a "cavalry army". So I think your Pox Rats are about as likely as the Dwarven bear cavalry that the community was ceaselessly rambling about for years. As it turns out, baseless speculation (aka wishlisting). And a Special Character as precedent does not count - because he is just that, special. He was really only included in the book because they had made this model for the Lustria campaign. I do not expect to see it return.

Lord Dan
03-03-2014, 04:33
They seem pretty complete in terms of plastic troop choices and options in the army.

That depends on your definition of "complete". Currently, the following need to be converted from metal:

-Giant Rats
-Weapon Teams
-Jezzails
-Gutter Runners
-Globadiers
-Censer Bearers

That said, these need new kits if GW wants to have a chance of selling any of them:

-Plague Monks
-Night Runners
-Rat Ogres

Personally, I would like to see the following:

-Plague Monk/Censer Bearer Kit
-Night Runner/Gutter Runner Kit
-Jezzails/New Weapon Kit. Maybe a Skaven bazooka or something.
-Weapon Team multi-kit (similar to the IG one)

And, if I can be greedy, a new Rat Ogre box. The current one is just unusable next to the fantastic IoB versions, in the same way that slapping a quiver on the multi-part HE plastics and calling them "Seaguard" doesn't work when they're in a unit of IoB Seaguard.

Ultimate Life Form
03-03-2014, 04:46
Hey, I like my Plague Monks! They're the main reason I started the army! :p

However I have nothing against gorgeous new plastic Censer Bearers. And the Night Runners Need to go; they're the only kit left that still adheres to the old Skaven design principles. They simply look odd next to anything.

So... my magic crystal ball says:

-Plague Monk/Censer Bearer Kit 10@ 45€
-Night Runner/Gutter Runner Kit 10@ 40€
-Jezzails/New Weapon Kit. Maybe a Skaven bazooka or something. 1@ 25€
-Weapon Team multi-kit (similar to the IG one) 1@ 20€

Your wish has been granted! Oh the joys of playing a horde army! :D

Lord Dan
03-03-2014, 04:47
And, of course, they'll all come with 5 models a piece. :D

Acephale
03-03-2014, 06:45
I'm hoping for stronger monoclan playstyle options in the next book, perhaps inspired by the DoC book in that respect. I.e. you can field units from all four clans and there are some "neutral" units like slaves and SV, but several unit types are clan exclusive and fielding them together with another clan's exclusives means both cons and pros - the pros of course being that you get a very diverse and versatile army, and the cons being more Ld rolls, lack of Ld bonuses from generals from other clans, perhaps even clan-exclusive units running the risk of turning on each other, and so on.

I also want a return of the "lead from the back" special rule from the previous Skaven book. It makes no sense for a Skaven general to join the front ranks, I mean why should he? It's against the whole Skaven ethos.

As for models, the obvious ones are of course Rat Ogres, Plague Monks, Nightrunners, Jezzails, Globadiers. With all those replaced by modern sculpts, Skaven should be absolutely fine.

Ultimate Life Form
03-03-2014, 07:26
I guess their "lucky number 13" is not quite practicable under the current rules.

Wesser
03-03-2014, 07:27
Aye the lack of viability of fielding a Mono/Warlord Clan is what's always kept me away from Skaven.

I'm willing to be Money on no Skaven Cavalry of any sort though..neither Pox Rats or Bonebreakers. The current character options adds some hilarity and modelling options for some individuality, but it ends there.

As for what new unit Skaven could get ...there's always one... but I'm at a loss to what they can do that ain't just dumm.

- Flying mutated rats? (isnt that just bats?)
- Eshin Triad? (Kinda Stepping on the toes of the other Eshin units)
- Skaven Cavalry (dumm and won't happen)

Really hard to second guess GW here...

Lastavenger
03-03-2014, 09:07
I would like new kit for Eshin clan units. Night/gutter runners would be easy to do with only simple head swap and cloak. Add third option like, Eshin stormrunners armed with naginatas (halabard for all purposes). Give them ws5, add some nice rules reflecting their fighting prowess (Any attack that roll 6 to wound have AP rule) and you have nice unit.

Lord Solar Plexus
03-03-2014, 10:33
add some nice rules

Oh-oh. That didn't go so well the last time! :) Skaven are certainly complete when it comes to the quantity of rules.

Lastavenger
03-03-2014, 11:04
Oh-oh. That didn't go so well the last time! :) Skaven are certainly complete when it comes to the quantity of rules.Relax. Next edition Skaven faq will be sold separately in armybook format.

SuperHappyTime
03-03-2014, 13:32
Skaven are still a good army. They aren't showing the age of WoodEs or Brets, nor do they show the dullness of Beasties.

If GW is looking to upgrade everything to 8th Ed before they release 9th, Skaven should be the last update. If they aren't, they should be the #3 book (after Greenskins and Beasts).

Leogun_91
03-03-2014, 14:22
I really wish they would lift the wolfrats and broodhorrors from warhammerforge over to GW main, would be wonderful to have balanced and GW approved rules for the ones I have in my collection.
Other than that I just think they should update current kits and maybe add a Clan Scurvy SC, I would really love a Skaven pirate captain model.

boli
04-03-2014, 08:16
If skaven get an update it will be

- rat ogre/bonebreakers (3)
- night runners / gutter runners (10)
- Weapon Team (1)
- rule book of nerfs / no more magic toys

You can already make a plague censor bearer out of the plague monk kit (apparently), the rest... Nope not worth the bother.

warhammerscotlandplayer
05-03-2014, 13:47
Jings i like the plague monks as they are but if an update is available then i'll buy them anyway. I detest the IOB rat ogres, horrible sculpts, i do like the multipose plastics (i know im in the minority here)

defenately needed updated weapons team kits and all the metals. Gutter/night runners are in dire need of an update.

Gorthaur
05-03-2014, 17:32
Plastic HQ:
Grey Seer
Assassin
Master Moulder
Plastic Troops:
Eshin Night Runners/Gutter Runners (and maybe a third option, I like the sound of naginata)
Globadiers
Maybe a small rat swarm kit (like the nurglings)
Other:
(no need for another centerpiece kit)
redone Rat Ogres/Giant Rats
Flying Rat bomb thing that sounds cool (since every army seems to be getting a plastic flyer of some sort)

I anticipate new Skaven a great deal, I still have a couple units of clanrats unassembled and unpainted. I just have no motivation at this point. If they don't do an update to the book soon then hopefully they will do another wave of models, particularly HQ. Tbh I could care less about the WE and Beastmen in comparison to the Skaven. And hopefully the sculpts are good.

Also remember they want all of the current ed books to be in hardback with the full color art before moving on. Skaven don't have this, O&G does, Lizardmen does, OK does, and Empire does as well. So do the Dark Elves.

Acephale
06-03-2014, 08:46
I detest the IOB rat ogres, horrible sculpts

I know tastes differ and all that, but how anyone can think the IoB rat ogres are horrible sculpts compared to the old ones is beyond me. The posing, the details and the overall flavor of the models are on a whole other level.

Wesser
06-03-2014, 09:39
I know tastes differ and all that, but how anyone can think the IoB rat ogres are horrible sculpts compared to the old ones is beyond me. The posing, the details and the overall flavor of the models are on a whole other level.

Problem is two, and only two, sculpts.....

Borgomos
06-03-2014, 09:58
Has anyone noticed that they are trying to make swarms more viable by giving them support abilities ? (Bat swarms cause ASL, Jungle Swarms grant poison to your units in the same combat)

I want better Rat Swarms, and I want something that literally churns them out!

Acephale
06-03-2014, 10:11
Problem is two, and only two, sculpts.....

Yeah, but the sculpts themselves are (IMHO) so much better than the old rat ogres. So the problem isn't really the quality of the sculpts themselves, but rather that they are so limited in variety and that they're IoB exclusive.

Make a couple of more sculpts with the same quality, throw them in a box, update the rules to make them viable, and the rat ogre problem is solved.

furrie
06-03-2014, 10:13
What most people seem to forget, is that there are no official slave models for sale right now. I know most use clanrats as slave. So that would become a kit, the probably add some weapon options so they can sell it as a dual kit.

Nubl0
06-03-2014, 10:53
Pretty sure the clan rat kit is split 50/50 between slaves and clanrat bodies. Think I still got the white dwarf that points this out too.

boli
06-03-2014, 11:16
If you look at the clanrats carefully half have no armour on and often a lot of shackles.... of course it depends how "uniform" you want your slaves and clanrats to appear but imho they are one of the best (if not THE best) core unit kit out there.

(The fact you still get 20 in a box for an army such as SKaven as well for a dual-kit helps a lot in this regard)

Balerion
07-03-2014, 08:19
That depends on your definition of "complete". Currently, the following need to be converted from metal:

-Giant Rats
-Weapon Teams
-Jezzails
-Gutter Runners
-Globadiers
-Censer Bearers

That said, these need new kits if GW wants to have a chance of selling any of them:

-Plague Monks
-Night Runners
-Rat Ogres

Personally, I would like to see the following:

-Plague Monk/Censer Bearer Kit
-Night Runner/Gutter Runner Kit
-Jezzails/New Weapon Kit. Maybe a Skaven bazooka or something.
-Weapon Team multi-kit (similar to the IG one)

And, if I can be greedy, a new Rat Ogre box. The current one is just unusable next to the fantastic IoB versions, in the same way that slapping a quiver on the multi-part HE plastics and calling them "Seaguard" doesn't work when they're in a unit of IoB Seaguard.
Nailed it.

Only other thing I can think of is a Censer Bearer/Globadier dual kit. The Censer Bearers would certainly mash up better with Plague Monks, but selling Plague Monks in boxes of 5 models would kill the unit.

My "greedy wishlist" desire would be some sort of Skyre shooting infantry. Warpmusketeers. Even better if they're dualled-up with Globadiers in a single kit.

Urgat
07-03-2014, 09:42
I thought plague monks were liked enough? I certainly remember a lot of positive comments when they were released.

Artinam
07-03-2014, 09:59
Yeah, they were the first Skaven box that didn't suffer from the monkey with big hands syndrome. Its more likely the gutter runners kit is replaced first.

Imperator64
08-03-2014, 00:41
Nightrunners either need to be shelved or redone, I dont care which. Plague monks are ugly & stormvermin look daft but there asr probably other things that'll get done first.
I'd like some more skyre goodies but not another expensive weapons team. Actually to be honest there's already such a great variety in the skaven army that anything extra will have to be something bizarre and cool. I look forward to whatever is to come.

Lord Dan
08-03-2014, 01:11
stormvermin look daft but there asr probably other things that'll get done first.

Considering those were just remade, it's likely everything will be done before they are again.

Imperator64
08-03-2014, 06:16
I've not long returned to the hobby so didn't know that. Thats depressing.

Lord Dan
08-03-2014, 06:39
I'm inclined to agree. I really liked the style of those previous metal variants. They were better-proportioned and had an imposing "stormtrooper" feel to them.

Wesser
08-03-2014, 06:45
stormvermin look daft but there asr probably other things that'll get done first.

Ouch, and I Wwho think they are easily the best models in the Whole range?

Lord Dan
08-03-2014, 07:50

Well, you're in luck. You get to keep them. :D

Balerion
08-03-2014, 20:03
I'm right there with you.

They can be hell to rank up, but up until that point they look amazing!

In_Fiction
09-03-2014, 04:14
Plague monks wont be redone, they are too recent. Just look at the Dwarf Warriors.