PDA

View Full Version : 1000 pts of Lizards. 1st WHFB list ever!

McFace
03-03-2014, 21:23
This is based off the Lizardmen battalion.

Heroes: 160 pts

Scar Veteran- Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza, Biting Blade, Shield, Light Armor, Cold One - 160 pts

Core: 364 pts

Saurus [24]- Full Command, Spears, Shields - 294 pts

Skink Skirmishers [10]- Javelins, Shields - 70 pts

Special: 475 pts

Temple Guard [10]- Full Command, Wailing Banner, Sword of Swift Slaying - 245 pts

Cold One Riders [7]- Musician, Standard Bearer, Hand Weapon, Shields - 230 pts

Things I like: Skink unit is just the right size where it can do some damage and either have the opponent waste something really nasty killing it, or ignore them altogether so they just keep doing damage. Scar-vet and Cold One Riders should really bring the pain.

Things I don't like: Had to kit out a 10 lizard unit of Temple Guard with 75 pts of stuff to hit the point limit. No magic.

I would like to keep it based on the Battalion Box, but things can be switched around a bit if need be.

Seriously though. 1st WHFB list ever. You don't have to be kind with your critiques.

Moss
03-03-2014, 23:18
I would mount that scar-vet on a cold one. Between static combat resolution and combat power, the (24) saurus can take care of themselves. The cold one riders can use the help more. Plus, being mounted will increase the odds of getting the charge and being able to use the stegadon helm. You can get the points by dropping a cold one rider (use the model as a scar-vet; maybe throw some extra bits on him to make him more heroic).

Another tip - skirmishers are best run in units of (10). Since you're stuck using the models you have, you can get creative with one of the extra skinks and convert him into a priest (I did just that when I started with Lizardmen). That should give you the flexibility to change it up a bit if you feel like it.

McFace
03-03-2014, 23:33
I would mount that scar-vet on a cold one. Between static combat resolution and combat power, the (24) saurus can take care of themselves. The cold one riders can use the help more. Plus, being mounted will increase the odds of getting the charge and being able to use the stegadon helm. You can get the points by dropping a cold one rider (use the model as a scar-vet; maybe throw some extra bits on him to make him more heroic).

Another tip - skirmishers are best run in units of (10). Since you're stuck using the models you have, you can get creative with one of the extra skinks and convert him into a priest (I did just that when I started with Lizardmen). That should give you the flexibility to change it up a bit if you feel like it.

Good idea with the skinks! I'll have to figure out a way to do that.

The only reason I had the Saurus at 24 was so they would be 25 with the Scar-vet (there are only 20 in the battalion box). I would drop them down to 20 without them unless 24 is a good number!

I did seriously consider putting the Scar-vet on a cold one in the first place, but was concerned about putting too many eggs in one basket. Since I am a converted 40k player I might be thinking too much like one now.

Are there enough extra bits on the Cold One sprues to make a scar-vet suitably heroic? :P

edit: grammar and reading fails

Moss
03-03-2014, 23:56
I think (24) is the perfect number for Saurus. Running them in ranks of (6) gives you a nice, big frontage to maximize attacks, while still giving you enough ranks to potentially break opponents' Steadfast.

I would consider giving the scar-vet a defensive loadout. Something like:
Cold One, (cheap magic item), shield, Light Armor, Dawn Stone
This gives you the option to run him with the unit or on his own. I like having him on his own so because of the flexibility it allows. Just one more thing to consider.

I'm sure that between the cold ones, temple guard, and normal saurus sprues, you can find the right combination of bits to make a good scar-vet. I converted my cold one riders from chaos knights, so I don't remember what comes on the sprue.

McFace
04-03-2014, 00:45
I would consider giving the scar-vet a defensive loadout. Something like:
Cold One, (cheap magic item), shield, Light Armor, Dawn Stone
This gives you the option to run him with the unit or on his own. I like having him on his own so because of the flexibility it allows. Just one more thing to consider.

So the dawn stone is a better investment then the stegadon helm overall? Or only if I run him separately?

Moss
04-03-2014, 02:12
I personally like it better in general, but especially when he's on his own. Having T5 and a 1+ rerollable armor save makes him very difficult to kill.

When he's in a unit, the save is less important (unless he's your general or BSB), but I like to have it on him anyway so I have the option of running him either way.

McFace
04-03-2014, 04:17
I personally like it better in general, but especially when he's on his own. Having T5 and a 1+ rerollable armor save makes him very difficult to kill.

When he's in a unit, the save is less important (unless he's your general or BSB), but I like to have it on him anyway so I have the option of running him either way.

I will consider my options.

So assuming I will be running my scar-vet with the cold one riders should I drop the champion from them?

McFace
04-03-2014, 12:05
Alright. Edited the list.

I decided to keep the Scar-Vet how he is now, just mounted on a Cold One. If I end up not liking him I will change his equipment around but I want to try him like this first.

Dropped the Skinks to 10.

Dropped the champion out of the Cold One Riders to make room for the Scar-vet.

Found out that I fail at math and had over priced the Cold One Riders. Ended up with a really awkward amount of points left over (56) that I couldn't do what I wanted with (get 5 more Temple Guard). So I just maxed out the magic weapon and banner on my existing Temple Guard. Honestly though I like how they were before more, but I couldn't figure out the points otherwise.

edit: grammar

warhammerscotlandplayer
05-03-2014, 12:37
Making good progres buddy. Play a few games with these lists, tweaking them every game or so. Then decide what you want next. Fast attack flyers/Big monster or invest in a lord/hero model.
Its always brilliant starting a new army from scratch.