PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Dwarfs vs. Dark Elves

salty
04-03-2014, 02:04
Hey all! I'm new to Warhammer Fantasy (though I have been playing 40k for years), and finally got around to having my first game this evening. As part of a deal with a friend, I agreed to try and get in four games before September this year, and paint a full Dwarf throng into the bargain. Said games require battle reports, and said painting requires a plog. So here we are!

My best mate picked up Dark Elves just as the new army book was being released, however, as another Fantasy newbie (and with most of his time and hard-earned cash going on his Black Templars) he ended up fielding a largely paper-based army to get a feel for the units. Similarly, I wanted to try out a few things to see how they'd work - neither list is intended to be especially competitive as much as it is to be an experimental foray into WHFB.

We got a few things wrong, confused ourselves from time to time, and no doubt made a bunch of mistakes that we still haven't realised along the way, so if anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them! We also only managed three turns in the end, between eating dinner, looking up rules, and insulting each other's armies. Anyway, without further ado...

The Throng of Zhufbar

(As I had chosen Zhufbar - and before GW decided to use it for their studio army, too! - I wanted plenty of war machines and engineers in my list...)

Lord (Great Weapon with Runes of Might and Striking, Master Rune of Swiftness) - 205pts
Runelord (Rune of Spellbreaking) - 145

Master Engineer (Pistol, Great Weapon) - 82

20 Dwarf Warriors (Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 210
20 Dwarf Warriors (Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 210
12 Thunderers (Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 174
15 Longbeards (Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner Rune of Battle, Great Weapons) - 275

18 Ironbreakers (Ironbeard, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner Rune of Stoicism) - 317
Cannon (Rune of Accuracy) - 145
Cannon (Runes of Accuracy and Forging) - 170
Gyrocopter - 80

2013 points

Dark Elf Raiding Party
(Slightly too much spent on Lords and Heroes, here, but we wanted to squeeze in the Sorceress for the purposes of getting a feel for magic)

Dark Elf Dreadlord (Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Cloak of Twilight) - 202
Death Hag (Cauldron of Blood, Witchbrew) - 305

Sorceress (Level 2, Tome of Furion) - 140

20 Witch Elves (Hag, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 250
30 Dreadspears (Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 300
20 Darkshards (Guardmaster, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 240
19 Executioners (Draich, Musician, Standard Bearer) - 210

War Hydra (Fiery Breath) - 180

5 Doomfire Warlocks (Master) - 135

We rolled for Dawn Attack and random terrain, getting a hill, a couple of mysterious forests, a house, some fences, an altar of khaine, a statue (causing frenzy, which we promptly forgot about), and a marsh.

Deployment

Deployment was fairly straightforward for the Dark Elves, with everything ending up pretty much where it was wanted. For my Dwarfs, however, it was a different story. One of my cannons ended up consigned to the left flank, and was therefore unable to take up position on the hill with its sister, while my Master Engineer and Gyrocopter found themselves cast out to the opposite flank, right in the eyeline of the War Hydra. Bah.

I also rolled Rancorous Resolve at this point, giving my characters Hatred against the enemy characters.

Dark Elf Turn One

Magic Pool 6, Dispel Pool 4

The Dark Elves kicked things off, maneuvering themselves into slightly better positions, but not a great deal happened. No shooting or magic was in range. The Witch Elves, Cauldron, Spears and Executioners all advanced cautiously down the centre, while the Warlocks raced ahead on the Elf right flank towards my first block of Warriors. The War Hydra lumbered towards the Gyrocopter.

Dwarf Turn One

The Gyrocopter chugged towards the War Hydra, with the Longbeards shuffling along in pursuit, while the Warriors and Ironbreakers in the centre rearranged themselves and the cannons repositioned for a better shot. Thunderers got things started, scoring 5 kills on the Witch Elves. First blood Zhufbar!

Dark Elf Turn Two

Magic Pool 8, Dispel Pool 5

I'll be honest, I was surprised at how quickly the Elves came across the board at me. The Dreadspears moved slowly around the fences, while the Darkshards skirted the Altar of Khaine. The Warlocks raced on, blasting my poor dwarfs with Doombolt as they came, scoring 15 S5 hits and 8 kills. Ouch! The Witch Elves, now joined by the Cauldron, crashed headlong into my Ironbreakers, quickly followed by the Warlocks charging the weakened dwarf warriors and the War Hydra charging the Gyrocopter. The Gyrocopter failed to hurt the Hydra, which in turn stripped a wound off the flying machine. The Warlocks and Dwarf Warriors killed one apiece. The dwarfs won combat resolution by one point, but the Warlocks held. The Witches in the middle killed two Ironbreakers for no return, before everyone shuffled around to get into a better position to deal some damage.

Dwarf Turn Two

Urgh. Nasty. With almost half my throng tied up in combat, my options were suddenly a bit more limited. The Longbeards marched towards the War Hydra, while the second unit of Dwarf Warriors wheeled left to try and hit the Witches in the flank. My cannons opened up again, and both failed to do anything - again! So much for Zhufbar's engineers! The Thunderers continued to get the job done, however, killing four more of the Dreadspears.

The Dwarf Warriors in the centre counter-charged the Cauldron flank in the combat phase, which was where things began to get messy. The hows and whys of such a big, mixed combat were a bit confusing, and we ended up improvising for the sake of time and sanity, resolving the first combat first, then the second afterwards. The Witches killed five of the Ironbreakers, and the Hag a further one, while the Ironbreakers killed one and the Dwarf Lord two in return. The Warriors scored a wound on the Cauldron of Blood, while the Death Hag killed two of their number.

On the right flank, the Longbeards charged into the side of the Hydra, just in time to see it tear the poor Gyrocopter to pieces, taking a wound in the process. The Longbeards proceeded to cause another wound, losing one of their own, and the Hydra fled combat. Unbelievably, the stumpy-legged dwarfs managed to roll two sixes to chase it down and destroy it! On the left flank, the Warlocks killed two more of the Warriors, who in response hacked down the scrawny Elgi horsemen.

Dark Elf Turn Three

Magic Pool 5, Dispel Pool 3

In Turn Three, the Dreadspears began to sneak forward, intending to support the Witches and the Cauldron who were starting to flag a little, and who were now open to being flanked by the remaining Dwarf Warriors on the left. Similarly, the Executioners moved into position to charge the flank of the Dwarfs in the centre, who had charged the flank of the Cauldron, which was in combat with the Ironbreakers... yeah, like I said - confusing! In the magic phase, finally in range of a target, the Sorceress cast Bladewind with unstoppable force upon the Longbeards. Unfortunately for her, the doughty dwarf resistance shrugged off the magical effects, while her own miscast blew up one of the Darkshards next to her!

The Executioners charged into the big melee in the middle. The Witches killed two Ironbreakers, losing five in return. The Dwarf Lord took down another, leaving them looking very badly weakened. The Cauldron both suffered and caused a wound, parried by a shield on a 6+, while the Death Hag killed five Dwarf Warriors. Then the Executioners killed six more, tipping the balance quite suddenly in the Elves' favour...

Dwarf Turn Three

In an effort to shore up my flagging centre, I marched the Dwarf Warriors on the left quick-time towards the big fight. In the top right, I did the same with the Longbeards, hoping to get them into combat with the Sorceress and the Darkshards. Both cannons fired on the Dreadspears, finally scoring hits, killing the musician and three spearmen. Unfortunately however, both the Dwarfs on the left, and the Longbeards in the top right, failed their charges, falling short. Damn! In the middle, the Witch Elves killed another Ironbreaker, whilst the Lord and the Ironbreakers each killed one Witch. The Cauldron of Blood killed another Warrior for no damage in return, while the Executioners slew another two.

By this point, pushing almost 11.15pm, we decided to call it a day and tally up the victory points. By some miracle, I had managed to destroy 295 points of elves, for only 125 points of Dwarfs, giving me the victory (although I suspected, and my opponent agreed, that had the game continued for a few more turns it would have been another matter). I definitely learned a few things (other than the rules!) - Witch Elves are bloody brutal, especially when backed with that Cauldron, and had they not charged the Ironbreakers I think any other squad would have folded quickly. Also, Gyrocopters are a lot more fragile than I expected!

So there we go! If anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them! Cheers for reading!

Salty :)

Darnok
04-03-2014, 10:14
Dwarfs running down a Hydra - you gotta be kidding me! :D

The Gyro is no "combat unit", his task should be haressment, march blocking and getting a few shots on softer targets - maybe charging something vulnerable later on.

The Runelord is overkill, one or two Runepriests should be enough (and you can spread the AP over more than one unit).

I suggest you try out Hammerers next (you lack some serious punch in CC), and maybe a few 10er units of Quarrellers. Miners could be funny too. As well as Rangers. :yes:

salty
04-03-2014, 13:51
Dwarfs running down a Hydra - you gotta be kidding me! :D

Yep, that was pretty much my opponents reaction, too! :D

The Gyro is no "combat unit", his task should be haressment, march blocking and getting a few shots on softer targets - maybe charging something vulnerable later on.

Yeah, I hadn't paid for Vanguard(?) which in hindsight maybe I ought to have, but nonetheless, the Hydra kinda caught me by surprise. I expected at least another turn to blast it with the steam cannon (nor did I Stand and Fire - I'm not even certain it can).

The Runelord is overkill, one or two Runepriests should be enough (and you can spread the AP over more than one unit).

Yeah, I have since read that Runelords have been nerfed somewhat, and that Runepriests are a much better way to go.

I suggest you try out Hammerers next (you lack some serious punch in CC), and maybe a few 10er units of Quarrellers. Miners could be funny too. As well as Rangers. :yes:

Cheers for the suggestion! I've been proxying some (currently armless) Mantic Ironclads as the Ironbreakers (as a precursor to converting them up properly), but I did toy with the idea of Hammerers first, as it meant less greenstuffing of scale armour. I might run them as that in the next game and see how they perform by comparison before I make a final decision. I definitely agree than I need something with a bit more punch in combat, especially as the Witch Elves I'll most often be facing are brutal...
Quarrellers are out for the time being - partly because I wanted a kinda fluffy Zhufbar list of techy-dwarfs, and partly because I don't have any, but I do have three units of Thunderers :p. Miners, on the other hand, will definitely get a trial run in the next game - the only reason I didn't use the in this one is because I ran out of points!

Ero-Senin
04-03-2014, 14:40
I think you might be suffering from a slight 40K hangover. You charge as the first action of the movement phase in fantasy not at the start of the combat phase like in 40K. Charges need to be set up the turn before as you cannot move a unit then charge it in the same turn.

salty
04-03-2014, 15:26
I think you might be suffering from a slight 40K hangover. You charge as the first action of the movement phase in fantasy not at the start of the combat phase like in 40K. Charges need to be set up the turn before as you cannot move a unit then charge it in the same turn.

That would explain why the Dark Elves raced across the board, then! :yes:

Thanks for the heads up.

Glorfindel
12-03-2014, 13:45
Death hag with cauldron, that's hero choice not lord choice or am I wrong? Anyway congratulations on the win, I can see the potential of the new Dwarves :)

salty
12-03-2014, 21:54
Death hag with cauldron, that's hero choice not lord choice or am I wrong? Anyway congratulations on the win, I can see the potential of the new Dwarves :)

Not sure to be honest, as it's not my book, so you could be right! But thanks!

We've played a second game this week (which I haven't added as a full on BR because I figured one was enough!) getting a lot more rules right... 3000pts each, ending in a draw (the scenario with breaking points and standards). Hammerers + tooled up Lord = brutal. Welfs + nearby cauldron = also brutal!

Additionally, artillery dice are not my friends...

jacob grimes
13-03-2014, 05:16
This was a very fun battle report to read! Well done.

I second the hammerer block as being the main cc punch to your lineup. Another thing to consider versus the des is replacing 1 of the organ guns with a flame cannon to put that lovely template onto his witch, executioner units etc. T3 blocks HATE s5 (or 6 with rune) flaming magical attacks which can hit them from turn 1 if deployed at the deployment line. You might want to eschew the iron breakers in favor of more longbeards and as said before change up your lord comp. Something the DE won't like is you using runes to slow down and bone their charge. Abuse them with a small unit of Irondrakes if you wish and they will hate charging anywhere near that unit.