PDA

View Full Version : On Interior Detail

Beppo1234
05-03-2014, 14:27
I was just wondering, after looking at the Knights in the project logs, why there was no interior detail.

Does GW only do interior detail for things like transports, things that have doors and windows that might allow access? I'm not a big fan of interior detail. I ventured into the interiors on one of my landraiders, but in the end, it's kind of a waste of time, as you rarely ever bend down to actually look down its throat to see the paint job, once it's done. So I'm not an interior detail junky or anything like that. But I digress

The Knight has that beautiful space in the middle, and just has me wondering why a couple of panel bits for a driver pod couldn't have been done... especially with that big pretty hatch on the carapace armour. Seems like a missed opportunity, or a future double dip when FW comes out with an interior detail upgrade kit.

Thoughts? Any other kits that lacked interior detail that disappointed you? I thought the Stompa was a missed opportunity for an interior as well. I can forgive the guard superheavy tanks for lacking interior detail, given the variants in the one kit, and the other being the first superheavy consumer prototype superheavy.

Do the new Wall of Martyr buildings have interior detail?

Kingly
05-03-2014, 14:39
I'd say largely because it would go unseen, but I do agree, I love all the detail you get in the cockpits (Wht are they call COCK pits anyway?) On the inside of the flyers we all get, lowly to have all the green lights flashing onto the pilots, looks ace.

I just don't see the necessity on the Knights though, it would look rather like a weakness!?

Ambience 327
05-03-2014, 16:21
Wht are they call COCK pits anyway?

cockpit (n.)
Etymology: 1580s, "a pit for fighting cocks," from cock (n.1) + pit (n.1). Used in nautical sense (1706) for midshipmen's compartment below decks; transferred to airplanes (1914) and to cars (1930s).

agurus1
05-03-2014, 16:24
Because they used to have fighting roosters in the ships?

Godzooky
05-03-2014, 16:27
Amusing 13-year-olds since 1580.

Impressive.

druchii
05-03-2014, 17:04
Amusing 13-year-olds since 1580.

Impressive.

Also amusing 30 year olds with the sense of humor of a 13 year old.

;)

d

Kingly
05-03-2014, 17:17
Also amusing 30 year olds with the sense of humor of a 13 year old.
;)

d

…It got me! :D

Spiney Norman
05-03-2014, 18:09
The Knight has that beautiful space in the middle, and just has me wondering why a couple of panel bits for a driver pod couldn't have been done... especially with that big pretty hatch on the carapace armour. Seems like a missed opportunity, or a future double dip when FW comes out with an interior detail upgrade kit.

I was thinking exactly the same, check out this blog where a very talented hobbyist (not me) does exactly that

http://40khobbyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/adding-interior-to-imperial-knight.html

NemoSD
05-03-2014, 18:18
I like some interiors. I have the interior cargo hold of my Vendetta all lit up. (You can see the red light coming out of the side doors, and when the hatch opens in the back, the light goes green.) So I painted it up in there as the lighting, one lights up the detail, and two draws attention. I don't actually play with this bird though as I had to change its base to deal with the weight changes. (The batteries are hidden in the engines, and I put them to far back, and it likes to fall over now.)

Chem-Dog
05-03-2014, 19:07

Does seem like a missed opportunity. I was expecting some interior detail, especially as Mechanicum has the pilot of one Knight easily able to see his comrade within his own Knight. I suppose that could be explained away as "different model of Knight" or even "changes over 10K years". Maybe that's something FW will do when coming to produce stuff for Knights.

Not a huge spoiler though, the model still looks awesome. Rules are a little bit of a let-down. but I'll live.

druchii
05-03-2014, 19:16
See, it's always boggled my mind that GW has ever done interior detail.

Always thought it was a waste of plastic, really. I mean I know I'm totally in the minority in this, and it isn't necessarily rational, but I was sorta happy there wasn't any interior detail inside the Knight.

Maybe it's because I won't feel guilty for not building/painting the insides. Heck, I don't even build the pilots for my vehicles that have cockpit covers.

d

Beppo1234
05-03-2014, 21:19
I was thinking exactly the same, check out this blog where a very talented hobbyist (not me) does exactly that

http://40khobbyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/adding-interior-to-imperial-knight.html

fantastic... see, I think GW could have done that with their eye's shut. Really awesome addition.

Baaltor
05-03-2014, 22:38
Because they used to have fighting roosters in the ships?

I'm assuming you're serious.

Cock fights have been a popular sport into prehistory, and it's a practice that continues to this day across the world. Not that I condone the act; it's widely illegal for obvious reasons.

Onto the topic: I hate the internal details, because I feel ashamed to glue them away. I am personally obligated to save as much of the details as I can for bits to avert this peeve. In terms of logic: lots of people DO like interior detailing, and it's an important feature to many.

Beppo1234
06-03-2014, 02:54
Onto the topic: I hate the internal details, because I feel ashamed to glue them away. I am personally obligated to save as much of the details as I can for bits to avert this peeve. In terms of logic: lots of people DO like interior detailing, and it's an important feature to many.

I've always been of the same frame of mind. To hide cool details on the inside of a model, to rarely, if ever be seen. That being said, sometimes it's just really cool if there's a sexy little interior bit, like the a mentioned FW titan crews (most especially the titan crews in the Chaos titans!), and like you say to some people it's really important.

Baaltor
06-03-2014, 08:34
Yeah, I really don't understand why some people get so excited about inner details. It seems on the whole that most people like them a bit, but some people specifically love it, go nuts over the idea. My first girlfriend drove herself, a very rightbrained woman, insane engineering opening doors to her Rhinos so she could enjoy its inside features. I think that's crazy, but all power to people like that; do what you will, ladies!

And guys, of course.

Chem-Dog
06-03-2014, 09:02

I I hate the internal details,.

I get where you're coming from, I even glue tank guns in place, I really don't need my guns to swivel. But I still thing a dude behind a clear screen picked out in green OSL would have been a steroid-fed cherry on the cake in this instance. 85 quids for a huge centrepiece model and all that.....

Zingraff
06-03-2014, 09:49
Yeah, I really don't understand why some people get so excited about inner details. It seems on the whole that most people like them a bit, but some people specifically love it, go nuts over the idea. My first girlfriend drove herself, a very rightbrained woman, insane engineering opening doors to her Rhinos so she could enjoy its inside features. I think that's crazy, but all power to people like that; do what you will, ladies!

And guys, of course.

I have a theory about this, which I developed while in architecture school. The principle applies particularly to architecture but is transferable to scale models and miniatures as well.

I believe there's something you might call the "human scale recognition factor". When an observer sees a functional item which has a recognizable scale, designed for human proportions, such as a coffee cup, a chair, a flight of stairs or a handrail, it subconsciously increases the appeal of the entire object. This object might be a scale model, a painting or even a real building seen from afar. I believe the human eye, when presented with any such object, immediately starts searching for clues suggesting a scale, and that we most likely use the same latent aptitude to determine distances in real life.

In architecture, this might explain why "old architecture" is generally preferred over modernist architecture, since old buildings more often incorporate consistent human scale elements.

AndrewGPaul
06-03-2014, 11:13
That's why I prefer the Knight over the Dreamforge Leviathan, despite the Knight being smaller and less poseable - it's got more ... greeblies - hand rails, inspection hatches, etc. The Knight looks like a small model of a very big thing, while the leviathan looks more like a big toy of a smaller thing. :) YMMV, of course.

I also remember that being talked about in an 'Eavy Metal article in WD 130; they were showing off the then-new Epic Ork Stompas, and pointedf ou the details that had been added to distinguish it from the nearly identical 40k-scale Ork Runtbot.

As for an interior, I think GW have to balance a couple of contradictory imperatives; on the one hand, the sculptors and plenty of collectors want highly-detailed scale models. However, on theother hand, these things are being manhandled by gamers, so a certain amount of resilience is called for. I think that latter reason is one of the reasons why Imperial tanks tend to have little or no ground clearance and concealed running gear. It's why the Knight's legs are fixed in one position. They are, after all, already in 24 pieces before adding the armour plates - how many more do you think they'd be in if you could pose it? :)

Forge World have demonstrated that they're not so bothered with making their models 'resilient'; you only have to look at the :mad: suspension assemblies on the Elysian Tauros to see that. :) They also make an interior detail kit for the Chimera (even if the model kit requires a lot of conversion work to make it visible :) ), and their Damocles Command Rhino has a detailed interior, so I would imagine they've at least considered the option, even if they don't decide to act upon it.

Zingraff
06-03-2014, 11:18
They also make an interior detail kit for the Chimera (even if the model kit requires a lot of conversion work to make it visible :) ), and their Damocles Command Rhino has a detailed interior, so I would imagine they've at least considered the option, even if they don't decide to act upon it.

Unfortunately they discontinued that kit some years ago. I guess it didn't sell, but then it did cost at least as much as the Chimera it was intended for.

baransiege
06-03-2014, 11:34

Always thought it was a waste of plastic, really. I mean I know I'm totally in the minority in this, and it isn't necessarily rational, but I was sorta happy there wasn't any interior detail inside the Knight.

Totally agree, these are miniatures after all - not Transformer toys. Movement wears away the paint detail and doesn't even make sense as you paint the models with a static light source and a moving part immediately ruins the lighting model.

AndrewGPaul
06-03-2014, 15:03
Unfortunately they discontinued that kit some years ago. I guess it didn't sell, but then it did cost at least as much as the Chimera it was intended for.

I got one, for my command squad's Chimera. I had to cut holes for the lasguns and scratchbuild the handgrip/triggers and then heavily convert it so the top hatch, rear ramp and "postern" hatch hinge open. All things considered, annoyingly fiddly.

baransiege, I think you're moving the goalposts slightly by talking about moving parts, but I disagree about the painting. most people use a "neutral" lighting - they justy highlight all the edges, regardless of where the light might be imagined to come from. Rotating the turret on a tank doesn't usually make the paint job look wrong. :)

minionboy
06-03-2014, 17:41
I just picked up a 1/48 scale model jet interior (mig-19) on ebay to use as the basis of the interior for my first Knight Titan.