PDA

View Full Version : Focus of Mystery cheese.

SteveW
06-03-2014, 14:29
Let me preface this by saying I've played it both ways and understand why some people would want it to not be the way I read it.

Focus of Mystery is a discipline of the old ones that gives the Slann it's given to the Loremaster (High Magic) special rule. When making your list, you choose the lore of your casters and the Slann can choose from the 8 BRB lore's or High Magic. If he takes lore of light and focus of mystery he would then have all 8 spells from high magic and 4 random spells from light. He could also choose high magic and potentially have two fiery convocations and other such cheese.

So what I'm looking for is any reason gaining the loremaster special rule would replace his chosen lore.

I looked at the Discipline "wandering deliberations" to see if the same thing could be done there but it reads "instead of generating spells normally" so it replaces your chosen lore. That wording is IMO deliberately missing from Focus of mystery to allow a 12 spell Slann to pillage and plunder the magic phase.

Micalovits
06-03-2014, 14:56
The loremaster rule itself prevents you from doing that.
The rule states the following: "A Wizard with the Loremaster rule knows all the spells from his CHOSEN lore - he does not need to roll randomly", so his loremaster rule "choses" his lore for him.

Blkc57
06-03-2014, 15:12
Yes it does say that. The reason it becomes muddled is the wording in the Lizardmen book says he GAINS loremaster high magic. Not IS or becomes a loremaster of high magic. The operative word would mean you add it to what already exists.

I think you may be reading too much into a few random words Steve. Like Micalovits states, the Loremaster rule seems to kick in around the time you have to choose your spells lores, if you take the Focus of Mystery you basically skip the part where you get to choose your lore as it has already been chosen for you. Simply highlighting the word "gains" doesn't seem to me to be an entirely explicit exemption to the general rules of it working in that fashion. The question would be can you draw a parallel to the ability to gain Loremaster in game like the Riddle of Sphinx rule, there the rules for the Riddle make it clear that you still get to keep your previous lore on top of gaining Loremaster Death, and again I don't see that explicit permission here.

SteveW
06-03-2014, 15:12
Yes it does say that and after reading it again I see what I missed before. Thanks.

SteveW
06-03-2014, 15:14
I think you may be reading too much into a few random words Steve. Like Micalovits states, the Loremaster rule seems to kick in around the time you have to choose your spells lores, if you take the Focus of Mystery you basically skip the part where you get to choose your lore as it has already been chosen for you. Simply highlighting the word "gains" doesn't seem to me to be an entirely explicit exemption to the general rules of it working in that fashion.

The word was highlighted for clarity. I then reread the rule and saw it wasn't even there...lol

If it was worded that way I'd have had a case for it being played like that but it isn't so I'm just a barely awake dummy.

TinTip
06-03-2014, 17:42
If he has access to multiple lores, even if he has loremaster for one of them Loremaster doesnt chose the lore.
You pick the lore for your wizard, and only after that does it matter weather or not you have loremaster for that lore.

That being said, there is no way to change what you are a loremaster of

SteveW
06-03-2014, 17:48
If he has access to multiple lores, even if he has loremaster for one of them Loremaster doesnt chose the lore.
You pick the lore for your wizard, and only after that does it matter weather or not you have loremaster for that lore.

That being said, there is no way to change what you are a loremaster of

That wasn't the question.

TinTip
06-03-2014, 20:25
That wasn't the question.

Then you should state your question more clearly